Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.49

on March 8, 2008
I have been a Killswitch fan since the first time I heard "The End Of Heartche" on the radio...it gave me chills. I'm an old-school metal chick who grew up on bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Queensryche and, yes, Def Leppard but I had lost my faith and passion for the music. Killswitch Engage brought it back...THANKS GUYS!!! :-) I own all their CDs and their DVD and through them discovered a whole new generation of bands like Shadows Fall, Lamb Of God, Unearth, Chimaria, All That Remains, Underoath, Trivium, As I Lay Dying, Stone Sour and even Slipknot, all of whom are now favorites as well.

I brought a copy of this Special Edition CD mostly to get Killswitch's cover version of "Holy Diver" by Dio. It is truly a rare feat when a band can cover another band's song and remain true to the style and integrity of the original while still making it their own. Killswitch Engage pulls it off with ease. The CD contains three other songs not included on the original version of "Daylight Dies;" "Let The Bridges Burn" and "Be One" are strong enough to have been included on the original album--"Bridges Burn" has the sort of dynamics that could make it an opening track--but "This Fire Burns," written for a WWE pay-per-view special, sounds like the band mailed it in and could have been left off.

This package features a DVD with all three videos from "Daylight Dies": "My Curse," "The Arms of Sorrow" and "Holy Diver." It also includes "making of" documentaries for "Curse" and "Sorrow" but not for "Holy Diver," which is too bad, because that video is by far the best of the three. It's a very funny throwback to the elaborate mini-movies that music videos used to be, and it's worth seeing just for the sight of Adam D in drag. ;-)

All in all, the "Daylight Dies" special edition is a great package for both new and old Killswitch fans alike; my only complaint is why do record labels put out a CD and then come out with "Special Editions" much later? Maybe if more new releases were packaged with special features in the first place, CD sales wouldn't be in the massive slump they are now, even with the digital revolution.
on January 11, 2007
Killswitch has come along way since their first album. This album is bar far the greatest achievement to date. First of all, this album's lyrical content is a much more earnest and thought provoking then the other three albums. Songs like "Reject Yourself", "Break The Silence", and "The Arms Of Sorrow", portray a reflective and contemplative view on war; as well as the horrible atrocities that have been eminent in the world.

As Daylight Dies also holds some of the hardest hitting, riff driven rock anthems to date. Songs like "For You", "Still Beats Your Name", "As Daylight Dies", and "This Fire Burns" drive this point home, with heavy laden drums, resonant bass, and earsplitting guitar riffs. "For You" might be one of the most well-rounded songs on the album, every part of the song shows the unique talents of the band.

Finally, when most people decide whether or not they like a band in this genre they usually discuss whether or not the screaming or groan is necessary or annoying. However, on As Daylight Dies and The End Of Heartache Howard Jones vocals are non-the-less incendiary; his tone is a welcome change from the shreiks of bands like As I Lay Dying and Atreyu. His groans and screams tie together so well with the instrumentals that it never becomes dull or too abrasive. But what stands out the most is his versatility, one verse he will be in your face and in total control of his screaming, while in most chorus' he comes out with this epic singing that is totally unexpected.

Here's how the album breaks down (Best out of 10):

1. Daylight Dies - 8.5 - Great intro, but feels like an intro or even an outro more than a complete song.

2. This Is Absolution - 9 - This song should have opened the album, great chorus, and great use of acoustic guitars.

3. The Arms of Sorrow - 9.5 - Probably the albums saddest song, but very well written and the production is top-notch as well as with the rest of the album. The chorus is quite tear-jerking, but transitions perfectly into the bridge.

4. Unbroken - 8.5 - One of the albums hardest hitting tracks, at points it may seem like the most lack-luster and repetitive song on the album, but that isn't really saying much, considering this is KSE's best album by far.

5. My Curse - 10 - Beautiful song, through all it's clean instrumentals, to it's earsplitting riffs, this song has everything you need.

6. For You - 10 - In contrast to My Curse, this may be the definitive KSE's piece, has everything this band has to offer in one tightly composed song. (((GIVE IT MORE THAN A COUPLE LISTENS)))

7. Still Beats Your Name - 9.5 - Hard hitting, riff-driven... but also one of the most beautiful chorus' and bridges KSE has to offer.

8. Eye of the Storm - 9.5 - Some what predictable, but non-the-less heartpounding and amazing riffs.

9. Break the Silence - 9.5 - One of the best tracks on the album, but it might have the greatest and most thought-provoking chorus' in the KSE catalog.

10. Desperate Times - 8 - Might be the albums dullest tracks, but is a great song to check out once and a while when the rest of the album has been listened to too much.

11. Reject Yourself - 10 - B-E-A-utiful, great way to close the album, tie-ing with "For You" this might be the best, most definitive, and purely intimate songs Killswitch has ever made.
on May 17, 2007
Killswitch Engage has always incorporated melodic death into their music, but on their latest release, the melodic death really dominates. here and there there are metalcore breakdowns. they still rock though. I disagree with the one who says metalcore is about ex-girlfriends. I own several metalcore CD's and not one of them mentions relationships gone bad. somebody better reread the lyrics on all their CD's. other metalcore bands to consider are Himsa, Zao, Demon Hunter, Still Remains, the Showdown, A Life Once Lost, Underoath, As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Watch Them Die, Hedfirst, Cataract, and Winter Solstice.
on November 27, 2006
Killswitch Engage fist came to my attention as part of the soundtrack to a video game; believe it or not. I was playing the PS2 game "Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel" with my girlfriend, and I kept noticing the incredibly heavy riffs in the background music during boss fights...after finishing the game, I learned from the credits that Killswitch Engage were one of the bands involved in the soundtrack for the game. I picked up "Alive or Just Breathing", and the rest is history for me; they have become one of my favorites in today's burgeoning metal scene.

With the resurgence of metal's popularity these days, there are many different styles or sub-genres, Killswitch have been defined as one of the important "metalcore" bands. It's interesting for me to see how much hairsplitting is done with the younger, new metal fans, since I have been a metalhead (and metal guitar player) since the early '80s. As far as I can tell, being metalcore means that you have heavy riffs, both death metal-style growling vocals and clean, anthemic choruses, and lots of "breakdowns", where the song shifts into a slow, heavy riff (by the way, it's called a bridge, dudes)- and if that defines a style, than Killswitch are surely the apotheosis of metalcore.

Definitions aside, Killswitch play tight, ultra-heavy metal riffs that shake the walls- and the almighty riff is what metal is all about. The alternating vocal style is effective and actually adds a lot to the dynamics of the music; I have really grown to appreciate it, and both are very well done- the death metal growl sounds ferocious, and the clean (sometimes harmonized) vocals sound absolutely epic. What I have enjoyed about this album even more is the addition of a more progressive playing style, both from a drumming/time-signature standpoint and from the added guitar complexity of this release when compared to the band's previous efforts. Even better than I had hoped for...not a change in style for this band in any way shape or form; just a distillation of the band's strengths. Recommended for any metal fan.
on January 6, 2013
I was actually really surprised how good this record is. I had kind of mixed feelings going in based on what I've read from theses reviews and I tunes but this record feels really strong to me. don't get me wrong they're are a few songs that pull it down a little but it's not enough to allow a star drop from me. I can't wait for the new one to come out sometime this year.
on March 22, 2016
I can't help but think this record was a perfect storm, by chance, that made a record that cannot be surpassed by either the band or the singer.

While I feel KSE has since gotten even more complex(musically) and Howard Jones' work with Devil You Know is incredible, 'As Daylight Dies' may be the best thing either party has contributed too. Although 'The End of Heartache' was excellent and Killswitch's 2nd self titled album was an awesome record, 10 years later 'As Daylight Dies' may be be looked upon as both parties(Jones and KSE) pinnacle. Vocally Howard Jones is incredible, delivering his lyrics and singing with an urgency and passion that few other singers could even attempt to reach. Meanwhile the songs moved in a more progressive direction, with tons of fret play in each song by the two guitarists as the bass and drums pound away keeping up with the incredible pace set by the guitar section and Howard himself.

Though both parties have moved forward separately since 2012, KSE bringing back original singer Jesse and Howard Jones taking a few years off before joining the beastly metal outfit Devil You Know, 'As Daylight Dies' may always hold a special place in either parties catalog as a record that hit a fever pitch that most bands wish they could achieve even once in their career.

Though I express much appreciation for this record, it is not to demean their work since. Both have made music that is great(as Devil You Know is one of my favorite bands now), it is to say that this record is special for it's urgency and passion, both by singer and band.

Songs to check specifically 'Daylight Dies' 'This Is Absolution' 'For You' 'Break the Silence'
on March 5, 2011
There are no bad songs on this album, but only two stand out ("This Fire" and "Holy Diver"). "This Fire" was not written for the album originally, and "Holy Diver" is a cover song, which is why they are interesting. The entire album sounds like the same song on endless repeat, with the exact same musical formula over and over and over again. It sounds like someone said, "let's make a whole album of songs that sound like Killswitch Engage songs" and happened to hire KSE to write them. I tossed this album on as background music in the gym, and the only reason I knew we had gone through it once was because I heard "This Fire" and "Holy Diver". Do yourself a favor, get those two excellent songs and one other song at random, and you'll be fine.

J.Ja
on April 23, 2013
I bought this CD when it first came out. I listened to it over & over again. Then when they came out with newer albums I slowly stopped listening to it. Not that I didn't like it anymore, I just had the newer albums to listen to now. Well now I finally dug the CD out of my CD wallet and geez it's still sounds perfect. This has got to be my favorite CD and I have a lot of music. I really like how they fuse metal with so much melody. Nobody does it better. That being said I definitely recommend this CD to anyone who is into any kind of metal because it should go down as a classic.

The only bands I can find that sounds close has to be "The Sorrow" from Austria, "As I Lay Dying", "Unearth" & "All That Remains". (Check them out if you haven't heard of them.)

Anyway I'm listening to it as I write this and let me say Howard did an amazing job singing on this disc. I like both Howard's vocals & Jesse's. I think KSE was so very lucky to get both these guys as singers because they both have amazing voices. I also like how KSE use more positive lyrics in there songs. I get sick of all the negativity in metal anymore. This is a very good change.

Killswitch Engage is also very lucky to have the chemistry of three great guitarists & a very talented drummer.

I seen KSE in 2004 @ Ozzfest (show was awesome by the way) and am seriously thinking of seeing them again in the near future. Can hardly wait.

Anyway just get this CD already !!! I guarantee most of you will like it.
on January 10, 2007
I credit Killswitch Engage for being one of the bands that "saved my life" and push me towards the faith system that I live by till this day. My teenage years were experienced during the Nu-Metal era, whose genre's song lyrics and themes put whiny EMO crap to shame. However, there is only so many times you can listen to songs about suicide, homicide, and sexual deviancy.

This is where Killswitch Engage came in with my life. It was a big breath of fresh air for myself. Their first lead singer, Jesse Leach, is a heavy follower of Christianity and he brought it out in his lyrics on the self-titled album and "Alive or Just Breathing." When Howard Jones took the reigns, he, thankfully, kept the spiritual theme going on "End of Heartache."

So, three fantastic albums and one fun DVD later, we are now met with Killswitch Engage's latest effort, "As Daylight Dies." The biggest fear amongst fans of any band is the big follow-up to a classic album. Your fears can be put at ease, KSE delivers another great album again with As Daylight Dies, albeit a bit formulatic.

I guess the only negative thing I can say about this album is that the guys don't really do anything new on the album aside from Adam D taking on some more vocals, especially on "This is Absolution." This isn't anything bad because everything that KSE does is great.

The album begins off actually with one of my least favorite tracks on the whole album, "Daylight Dies." It just lacks the punch of an album opener. However, the album picks up with "This is Absolution" and "The Arms of Sorrow" and it proceeds to never let up. Between the hit single, "My Curse," "Still Beats Your Name" and "Eye of the Storm," this album will definitely get some serious replay value on your play list. The closer, "Reject Yourself," has a nice epic feel to it and really rounds out the album altogether.

My favorite song on the entire album is definitely "This is Absolution." Other strong tracks include: Arms of Sorrow, My Curse, Eye of the Storm, For You, Still Beats Your Name, and Reject Yourself. The skip-able tracks are Daylight Dies, Unbroken, and Break the Silence. The weakest track is Desperate Times.

The Good

+ Same great established Killswitch Engage sound

+ "My Curse" was a great selection for the first single and "This is Absolution" and "Arms of Sorrow" are sure hits.

+ Adam D. takes on bigger vocal role on some of the tracks, and it works.

The Bad

- No big breakthroughs musically.
on December 29, 2006
As Daylight Dies

Killswitch Engage

At this point we pretty much know what to expect from a new Killswitch album, and "As Daylight Dies" is no exception. Upbeat, energized and aggressive, Killswitch continue to deliver meaty, hook-laced metal for the millennial masses. That being said, that very same consistency could quickly become a curse rather than a blessing.

"As Daylight Dies" is a slightly more focused album than "The End of Heartache," and has a more balanced feel throughout thanks to more carefully arranged dynamics. The pace and textures of the songs are varied enough to keep the record from ever wearing out, but at the same time it seems to lack some of that intangible element that makes good the songs great and the memorable albums classics. "As Daylight Dies" has plenty of big hits, but no real head-smashing knockouts.

That's not to say there's nothing good here; indeed, there are a number of smoking new tracks on display. Album highlights such as `The Arms of Sorrow,' `My Curse' and `Break the Silence' all demonstrate that Killswitch have lost nothing of their melody, riffiness or ability to write inspiring and uplifting emotional crescendos within a modern metal context.

The riffs all sound more-or-less familiar but feel a bit different. Emphasis continues the example laid out by "The End of Heartache" on faster guitar work with suitably deft frills and fills, but this leaves one wondering where all the impact of the more moderately paced chug riffs of "Alive or just Breathing" has gone. Even with a moshcore breakdown in nearly every song, these tunes simply don't hit quite as hard as past material. Vocals and drumming remain impressive, but deliver nothing new and lack much of the tenacity and vigor that got these guys where they are today.

Even though the album has a slightly different feel, you won't mistake it for anything other than a Killswitch record. "As Daylight Dies" will tide over rabid fans looking for new Killswitch songs, but won't blow away casual listeners.

Bottom line, it's a step in the right direction for a band that's great at what they do but are beginning to run the risk of burying themselves beneath a wealth of similar sounding material. The next step is to come back and deliver an amazing record which will surprise and shake up the existing fan base. "As Daylight Dies" is a solid rocker that sees Killswitch remaining near the top of the modern metal pile - but in a genre that thrives on passion and renewal don't expect them to stay there for long if the next album doesn't drop jaws and kick balls.