5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be gutted
This is one of the most personal, Looking over someone's shoulder into their life type of memoirs that I have ever read. I read it in practically one sitting it amazed me that anyone could share such personal feelings when it had been so difficult to even get to those feelings in the first place. I knew that it was going to be good I just didn't know how deeply it would...
Published 17 months ago by W. Bishop

3.0 out of 5 stars Touching
Not a well put together book from the daughter of Rod Serling. Very emotional and meaningful but I'm afraid only to her. I didn't know Rod and I guess he was a great dad but that's not enough for a book. She should have just kept her memories to and for herself.
Published 11 months ago by Lawrence B. Ripp

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The corner stone of her life, June 19, 2013
This review is from: As I Knew Him:: My Dad, Rod Serling (Hardcover)
Full disclosure. I'm a childhood friend of Anne's, I first met her father at one of her birthday parties, and my parents knew Anne's parents. I knew I would be biased reading the book, but I can honestly say that Anne exceeded all my expectations. Not only are her memories of her father fascinating and full of wonder and fun, but her profound struggle with her loss of a father who was larger than life--her corner stone--is courageous and profound. Her intimate confessions of nearly breaking down completely and then pulling herself back up reveal the strength that she received from his presence in her life. With her dad's love etched permanently into her heart, she has been able to live her own rich, full life. What a gift to us all. So, so proud of you, Anne! Thank you for your gorgeous book, great photos, and wonderful memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars A deeply moving tribute, June 7, 2013
I still remember the shock, at age 15, when I learned of Rod Serling's death. He had been an important part of my growing up, weaned as I was on episodes of "The Twilight Zone" and "Night Gallery," cultural touchstones of a childhood steeped in Bradbury, Poe, Lovecraft, and such. A more devastating shock lay in store when my own father died young, leaving a void in my life that took years to fully cope with. Anne Serling's new memoir detailing the especially rich and loving relationship she had with her own father, told with candor and humor, brought together those two threads of my life in a unique, deeply moving fashion. With a gift for language and a sharp eye for the telling detail, she allows us to glimpse the man in full--the attentive father and husband, the driven storyteller, the passionate advocate of justice, the practical joker, the unswerving humanist, the gifted social critic and dramatist--but cursed and blessed with the same foibles and weaknesses we all share.

I have been privileged to research and co-write a book that chronicled Rod Serling's professional life while developing, scripting, and hosting his final television series, "Night Gallery." I have absorbed a multitude of books and articles written about him in the past, in addition to researching his correspondence and drafts of his writing at various archives. From this vantage point, I have little positive to report regarding previous biographies of Serling by Engel and Sander, which read like a string of interviews occasionally spattered with irritatingly shoddy research. Both were, ultimately, deeply unsatisfying. Neither ever got us close to the man, and left an impression that the authors had torqued the facts to fit their shared thesis--that Serling was a tragic figure whose early television successes were overshadowed by a slow slide into mediocrity, and that the artist never fulfilled his potential or wrote anything that would stand the test of time. His continued and pervasive pop culture influence in the almost 40 years after his death, cited constantly by scores of writers and filmmakers, and the seemingly endless popularity of "The Twilight Zone" easily burns that thesis to ashes.

Anne Serling's lyrical, poignant tribute to her father, "As I Knew Him," is the biography that has, finally, done the man justice. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars MOTHER'S DAY, May 12, 2013
Richard Masloski (New Windsor, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As I Knew Him:: My Dad, Rod Serling (Hardcover)
Today is Mother's Day - and memories are myriad. Many mournful, many magical, all of my Mom whom I physically lost two years ago but whom I find over and over again within my heart. Death is a door, yes, but not to an empty place. Call it what you will, the place through the door. Call it Heaven or Paradise or even...the Twilight Zone. Unlock that door with the key of Imagination - and know that nothing ends once it has truly begun.

By coincidence or subconscious design or some higher purpose, I just now finished reading Anne Serling's memoir of her father and have dried my eyes somewhat. I was five when THE TWILIGHT ZONE premiered, and stayed with it during its initial run until I was ten. So I say this with complete sincerity and in all seriousness: Rod Serling via his immortal series was the best teacher I ever had. I learned more about life, death, magic, mystery, imagination, poetry, morality, mortality, God and the Universe from watching that classic series than I ever did in school or in church or in books. Mr. Serling's brainchild opened and filled my eyes and ears, my heart and soul to ALL that was profound and purposeful in Life. For that essential and eminent education, I could never thank Rod Serling enough.

Having read the prior biographies about Rod Serling, I was anxious to read this, an ostensibly more personal look at the man behind the myth. And the book succeeds in its every intent. It is a highly informative account of a famous father as seen through the eyes of his adoring daughter. It is a story of Anne Serling's love of her Dad and the loss of him - and how love and loss are forever wed when one's heart has been truly touched. But beyond the particular is the universal. Any book that can simultaneously have me thinking of my Mom and also make me feel as if I were an invisible brother of Anne Serling's, sharing in her vivid memories of her Dad until it seemed he was my Dad also, is a book that is more than a book. Rod Serling's life, as told herein, speaks to ALL of us. And I feel that that is the way he would have wanted it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A loving, beautifully written memoir. A must read!!, December 27, 2013
This review is from: As I Knew Him:: My Dad, Rod Serling (Hardcover)
I simply adored Anne Serling's book about growing up with her father, Rod Serling. AS I KNEW HIM is so beautifully written and gave such insights to the genius, that was her father. Having watched The Twilight Zone as a youngster, I never realized how political the episodes were and I found it fascinating to learn so much about how he incorporated his political views into his amazing series. This book is such a loving tribute to this extraordinary, brilliant man, but most of all was reading about all the wonderful memories this daughter had, growing up with her father. I have since reread it a number of times, and each time I get something new and beautiful from it. I beyond recommend this really wonderful, wonderful memoir.
-LM

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful Tribute, May 23, 2013
This review is from: As I Knew Him:: My Dad, Rod Serling (Hardcover)
I adored this book. It's a story about a brilliant writer and a wonderful family man.
I read this book in two days. There isn't a false note or word in this book. How lovely to read about a family who functioned without the ism's and dysfunctional we are bombarded with in today's memoirs. Mr.Serling died far too young but his work lives on. That's a testament to a creative and insightful writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait., February 12, 2014
This review is from: As I Knew Him:: My Dad, Rod Serling (Hardcover)
Whether it was going to be a Serling friend or family member, someone had to write this book. Gordon Sander made a mess out of Rod Serling in his biography entitled "Serling: The Rise and Twilight of TV's Last Angry Man". He made too many assumptions, took too many liberties, created too many holes, and seemed to regard Serling ambivalently as an admirable, but ungrateful subject.

With "As I Knew Him: My Dad, Rod Serling", Anne Serling brings her father out of the fog and back into the light. Her memories and collected letters reveal him to be a doting father, a loving son, a deep-thinking humanitarian, an emotionally scarred WWII veteran, and an extremely articulate man of values. She remembers his childlike sensibility, his love for people and animals, his hardworking ethic, his tireless crusades for equality and justice, his love of pranks, his quirks, and his flaws.

This memoir is clear, charming, and written with much affection. At 276 pages, it can easily be read in a few days time. Even though I thought it was a bit short, I realize that maybe that's all she felt she really needed to say about her father. Nevertheless, what she has to say is certain to further endear her readers towards a man who was far greater than his legendary status as creator of "The Twilight Zone".

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, January 31, 2014
Glenn L. Olson (Beaverton, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As I Knew Him:: My Dad, Rod Serling (Hardcover)
Not being a huge Twilight Zone / Rod Serling fan, I had low expectations for this book, given to me as a Christmas gift by my son. I found it surprisingly good - interesting man, a life well-lived, a role model in many ways for consistency of vision, politics, and creativity. At the end, I really felt like I knew the man, and admired his interesting and productive life. Kudos to Anne for bringing him to life and allowing us to share.

4.0 out of 5 stars From my home town, January 20, 2014
I grew up in the same town that Rod Serling did in upstate New York. It was like going back in time when he talked about Binghamton. It was also wonderful to follow his career. He wrote and was involved in many productions and shows that I was unaware of before. Glad to have read this, revealing this man's talent. I hope others enjoy it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!!, December 24, 2013
This review is from: As I Knew Him:: My Dad, Rod Serling (Hardcover)
I have known Anne and her family for over forty years. Anne's portrait of her father and the relationship she shared with him brings back clearly my images of them together - the joy, the love and the laughter. Her rendering is done with such a deft touch. You are immediately drawn into their intimate circle and see that there are, indeed, real human beings behind the public personae. Anyone who does not come away from reading this with a sense of Anne's special bond with her dad and the depth of love that they shared, has truly read a different story. Joan B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Dimension, September 16, 2013
This review is from: As I Knew Him:: My Dad, Rod Serling (Hardcover)
If you grew up watching, "The Twilight Zone", and want to know more about the author, Rod Serling, this is the book for you! His daughter Anne shares many wonderful stories about him and his exceptional life. The story often had me smiling through tears and wondering what Mr. Serling would think of the world in this day and age. I am so proud that my granddaughter attends Binghamton Central High School...the same school from which he graduated. He left us before the twilight of his life, but his memory will remain forever etched in our hearts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

As I Knew Him:: My Dad, Rod Serling
As I Knew Him:: My Dad, Rod Serling by Anne Serling (Hardcover - April 30, 2013)
$25.00 $15.82