5.0 out of 5 stars Noisy but do the job great

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for baby clothes
Published on May 17, 2006 by P. Davis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for baby clothes, May 17, 2006
You are not supposed to use dryer sheets or fabric softners on baby clothes because it reduces flame-retardance and they may irritate a baby's skin. These dryer balls have been great for softening my baby's clothes without chemicals. No, they don't do squat for static cling. I didn't notice a change in drying time. And in a load of adult clothes, they usually end up stuck in a sleeve. But for a load of little baby items where they can tumble freely, they do a great job of softening.

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY disappointing, November 29, 2005
Having read so many complementary descriptions of the Dryer Balls, I couldn't wait to try them, especially for my towels which, according to reviews I read, would come out soft and fluffy. I was also eager to save on drying time, as energy costs are expected to skyrocket this winter.

I finally received my dryer balls last week, and couldn't wait to do the laundry. I was terribly disappointed. Not only did the balls not speed up drying time AT ALL, but my towels were not soft or fluffy, as various reviews of these products had led me to believe.

Based on my experience, I cannot recommend this product at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please do not buy these, August 26, 2008
Julie O (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased Dryer Balls with the best of intentions: to stop using fabric softeners on my clothes in order to reduce the chemicals in my laundry. Sadly, after less than a half dozen uses, I opened the dryer (a load of sheets and towels) to find one of the balls SPLIT IN HALF. Obviously these are not a sound product. When I went online and started reading more about them, I learned the the chemicals used to make Dryer Balls' plastic is terribly toxic. I guess it's back to dryer sheets for now...

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked well until they fell apart, September 19, 2007
These were recommended to me by my boyfriend's mother. I don't use dryer sheets anyway due to his allergies and the fact that I don't like adding chemicals needlessly. So, the softer sheets are just a plus for us. If I forget to get the clothes out of the dryer quickly, we just steam the wrinkles out with our Scunci Steamer (which I love) for a good, chemical-free way to approach laundry.

My towels and sheets are fluffier with these balls. I didn't notice a change in drying time. What I like is the fact that they are more effective at removing pet hair from fleece, which is a constant battle in my house with 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Unfortunately, one of the balls just split in half after about a week of multiple daily loads. I returned them to Bed Bath & Beyond (they're pretty good about returns/exchanges within 30 days of purchase with receipt). Based on my experience with the fluffy sheets, I was willing to give them another shot. I bought several packages (I was really hoping these would work due to the pet hair issue), but, alas, all of them fell apart - split completely in half after a 1-2 uses. These were a complete waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Noisy but do the job great, December 26, 2007
These drier balls do a great job of shortening the dryer time. If the dryer isn't packed you hear the balls popping around in the dryer.. If you dryer is in the basement or a closet or something it's no big deal... The noise is worth the shorter drying time. The clothes come out nice and soft. If the tips of the balls get dark your dryer is on too long. On my dryer I moved the dial back two lines and the clothes come out dry and I saved myself at least half an hour. I would recommend these little guys...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good...but..., December 21, 2008
I have had up to four of the regular dryer balls in my dryer. I really liked them, but didn't like that they were plastic. So, I started doing some research... Wool dryer balls!!! I am now making these as Christmas presents[...] Just go there and search for dryer balls. They are 100% natural made out of wool and they work even better in my opinion. Sheets and towels nice and soft, baby clothes dry faster, and I even use them with my cloth diapers! Much better for us and for all my laundry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dryer balls-they work for me!, December 29, 2006
I purchased a nice electric Maytag washer and dryer. The dryer has a moisture sensor that automatically stops it when the clothes are dry. I have noticed that sometimes when it stops, some items are not completely dry. Items such as flannel lined jeans or sheets can get rolled up and not dry completely inside, while the outer part is dry enough for the dryer sensor to stop the machine.

I noticed that the dryer now stops sooner than it did without the balls and the clothes come out completely dry. I noticed that the clothes seem to be more fluffed up. It makes sense to me that the spiked balls would have the effect of causing better air circulation, less rolling up of clothing, and softening due to the beating action they provide. I think they work very well. As a side benefit, by stopping the dryer sooner, the dryer balls are lowering the cost of electricity with every load of clothes dried.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and Long Lasting, February 6, 2009
Heather L. Baird (Canton, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought the dryer balls soon after they came out maybe over a year ago! They have continued to work like a charm. I can't tell any difference between these balls and dryer sheets. I don't have static problems. The clothes aren't scratchy. I don't know if it speeds drying time because I just empty the dryer when I hear the buzzer. I paid 9.99 for 2 balls awhile back and have used them, for at least a year or more! So, it has saved TONS of money on dryer sheets and now come to find out...dryer sheets are horrible for your health! I recommend these to all! If you wanna go even cheaper...use 3-6 tennis balls!

5.0 out of 5 stars i love my dryer balls, November 2, 2007
Susan Nash (New York, United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't believe dryer balls would work but tried them because of a worsening allergy to the chemicals in the fabric softener sheets. They worked wonderfully well for me. My towels come out soft and fluffy. My permanent press comes out the same as with dryer sheets. I do still have some static cling in certain materials but it is only occasional. I no longer have the rash and constant itch from the chemicals that were in the fabric softener sheets. My dryer does run slightly quicker on the moisture sensing cycle. Also, there is no longer a chemical buildup on the lint screen of my dryer which allows it to 'breathe' a lot easier (fabric sheet buildup is not visible but it prevents airflow and makes the dryer much less efficient).

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money!, March 14, 2007
Robert D. "robert25286" (Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I feel like - such a FOOL!

I saw these dryer balls at Boots in London, bought them, and all I can say is there's a sucker born every minute. Sadly, I am among them now. They make NO difference whatever, they're noisy as hell, and change someone's balance sheet, not mine. And nothing for my sheets! All these reviews (very few mind you) must be writtten be either the promotion company or by (sorry) fellow suckers like me; who cannot bury their pride for 5 minutes!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›