Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on January 18, 2011
I enjoyed reading this book and would probably have given it 5 stars had I not been a little disappointed with certain choices that were made by Wendy. I do think that the author could have made the book a little longer and included more characters that we saw in the previous books. You really don't see Rhys or Rhiannon in this book whatsoever. Rhys appears at the end in the wrap-up but that's about it. While they weren't crucial characters I think their complete absence was still odd. I was surprised at how big a role Loki plays in this last book. I feel like he just randomly appeared in the 2nd book (not literally randomly) and had some crazy, kind of obnoxious flirty love thing going for Wendy but he was never really explained. We were told his history and whatnot but he never really seemed to have any real purpose. I was hoping in the third book the author would explain exactly why he was so important and go into a little more character development for him but she didn't.

Reading a couple comments the author wrote regarding this book, she stated that while she could see this book being compared to the Princess Diaries, she didn't see the connection with Twilight. Really? Because in both cases you have a lovesick teenage girl who starts off weak and vulnerable but eventually becomes some super powerful being that saves the world (vampire world, troll world...whatever). The love Wendy had for Finn also screamed Bella/Edward to me. PLUS what about when Wendy realized that putting herself in danger made Finn rescue her so she could see him again? Umm...? That also screams Bella/Edward...when almost an entire book was dedicated to Bella doing stupid things just to see Edward in her thoughts. This could all be accidental of course, but that doesn't mean you can deny the connection.

Well, here's my theory to why Wendy ended up with Loki instead of Finn. Because the author wanted a twist, a twist that would make this unpredictable, original and NOT like Twilight. All this ended up doing though was making Wendy end up with a Jacob instead of an Edward. Here's the problem with this though. A twist in a book is good, a twist keeps the readers interested...but you need to be in control of the twist. In this case, the author lost control of her book because of what she chose to use as a twist. It's too big of a twist and it tells her readers that her lead heroine is fickle and what you DON'T want is for the readers to suddenly lose a little respect for the lead character. This COULD have been done though, this twist COULD have worked, had she spent more time developing Loki's character. Instead, she didn't bother really making the reader fall in love with Loki (the way they did with Finn) and just threw Loki and Wendy together anyhow and tried to force her readers to accept it. If she had spent more than a portion of the 3rd book really pushing for Loki, I think the readers would have accepted the transition much easier. Also...if she had spent more than a portion of the 3rd book destroying Wendy and Finn's relationship, that would have been easier to accept as well. In the end though, the author lost control over how her readers felt about the characters....and that's never what you want, especially in the last book of a series.

So here's my wrap-up of Wendy from book 3: some girl with a crush (because calling it love would be an insult to the word) on the first cute guy she sees from Trylle. Now I see why she was attracted to Finn in the first place. In the first book, he was that super tough guy who wasn't afraid of the Vittra who tried to kidnap her. Also he was crazy about her and was her hero who always showed up at the right time to save her. He almost lost his life just trying to protect her...and of course because their love was forbidden, it made her want him even more. Of course, once all that died down a bit, she needed something more from him. Since all of a sudden, he wasn't able to prove his love for her by throwing his life away to save her...she needed him to constantly let her know how he felt, instead of just accepting that he did love her. Then along comes Loki, a cocky guy who is constantly saying inappropriate things about how much he wants her, and teasing her about how much she wants him, and that's exactly what she needs. Someone who never stops telling her how awesome she is. THEN she sees the scars that Loki got on her behalf and that seals the deal. Wendy's love goes to whatever guy shows that he's willing to die for her AND who constantly tells her how much he wants her. In the end, she's just an insecure girl who will follow the first guy that obsesses over her.

I think Finn was right about her. Her love must not mean much.

I started off this review giving the book 4 it only has 3 stars. Guess I didn't realize how disappointed in I was in just how weak of a character Wendy was.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2011
I have to start off by stating that I loved this series and I was waiting with anticipation for Ascend to come out. Reading it with that butterfly feeling in my stomach waiting and waiting for Wendy to finally end up with her true love Finn... But chapter after chapter my heart fell and fell more. I think my heart dropped to my stomach when Wendy slept with Loki and I seriously felt my heart break. How could this have happened? How could the first 2 books make us believe that Wendy and Finn were going to be together and then have her end up with Loki? I seriously felt sick to my stomach and seriously I'm not going to lie I shed a few tears. I wish there was another book that had a different ending because this one just was not my cup of tea.

I love Amanda Hocking's writing but I feel in all sincerity that Wendy's character and the whole story line changed in this last installment. It was not the Wendy we loved in the first two books... And in the end I was heartbroken..
on January 24, 2011
excuse lack of capitalization and formatting; i'm not using standard keyboard.

ascend and the previous two books are enertaining, a nice light read, but hocking's plot is annoyingly simple at times. she'd set up scenarios that seemed promising, and then let them go flat, apparently not analysing her own story. for example. elora, the wendy's mother nearly dies trying to restrain loki, wendy's love interest. why doesn't it occur to wendy that her crush knowingly nearly killed her mother? or, why hadn't hocking made that plot point a calculated tactic of the evil king? another example: wendy knew her telekinesis wouldn't work on oren the evil king, but she did know he could be beheaded and, conveniently, she knew there'd be swords in the room. her decision to try to throw the king across the room with her mind, then, was completely illogical. in ascend, at several parts i couldn't help but think wendy is not that bright. another annoying simplicity: hocking's world is amazingly small. hocking refers very vaguely people outside the circle of maybe twelve named characters. how many trylle are just rankless citizens? outside of fynn's mom and little sister, i think the only non-royalty/non-trackers are a couple of maids that are referred to by willa, which leads me to my next example. a town is destroyed and wendy just sends herself and her scooby crew to aid the victims. and then willa suggests that the two palace maids can finish the job... of restoring a *town*. what? the scene really left me with the sense that there are only twenty people in the whole kingdom... except for when there is a royal ball or some other event that just wouldn't be right without a crowd scene.

anyway, three stars for the entertainment, but the story could have been much cooler if hocking had given it another pass.
on July 11, 2011
So I compare this to indulging in a kinda predictable romantic comedy, you know its wrong, but you still enjoy it. Are the characters explained in depth and extremely well crafted, no (there are fleeting moments where you think she is headed in the right direction...then it stops). She has moments where segments of the book have a nice flow of a scene or action but then she becomes rushed to move on to the next plot point and ends up trying to wrap things up in one paragraph, completely ruining the flow. This was a good idea for a book and I wish it wasn't as rushed as it felt. Despite the grammatical errors, the last book I found to be better than the first two (i seem to be in the minority here). I felt the author wrote the interaction between loki and wendy well (also not surprised or disappointed that Loki and Wendy ended up together). Again we have to take at face value based on one paragraph why Loki was interested in her (although not truly explained). I felt the epilogue just tried to wrap things up too pretty and explain points that were left hanging in the last chapter. For the price of 7 dollars for the whole series on kindle, it made the perfect kindle book for me. For books I really want, I buy those in bounded copies.
on January 19, 2011
I was so excited when I saw the third book was finally available and then I started reading...... the first two books I could barely put down, this book took me 3 days to read. I just didn't like where this story went. For the first two books Wendy is so in love with Finn and will do anything to be with him. in this book she's like oh whatever he won't destroy his life for me so I'm moving on. Without barely a second thought about Finn.. Then she proceeds to treat him like a servant through out the rest of the book! It was horrifying and made me really dislike Wendy. Then along comes Loki. I did not like him in the second book and really was disgusted with his behaviour in this book. He is arrogant and cocky, constantly saying inappropriate things to her....and she falls in love with this?! It made Wendy look fickle and insecure. Then she cheats on her husband with him? uugghh that was beyond awful. The author seemed to rush through this book. she did not spend enough time on building Loki's character for readers to like him and her total disregard for Finn left a bad taste. The book should have been longer aand more thought out since it's the last one. The writing was pretty good but I just felt like Wendy wasn't the girl I thought she was. Too fickle and shallow for me.I guess she and Loki deserved each other in the end.
on January 20, 2011
I love this type of story; it draws me in. I can get lost in a book very easily, for hours. And I wanted to! But the quality of writing just wasn't there for me. The lack of ability kept pulling me out of my dream-like state and making me cringe, and I am by no means a strict critic. I felt like it was a really imaginative first draft of a story from a middle-high school girl, who just didn't have the vocab to explain what she wanted to, and at times, just explained concepts and thoughts in a "and then he said this and I didn't feel that way, so that was that". Frustrating to me! Compare this to a book like 'Jenny Pox' (same genre) and you will see what I mean.

However, if that's not the sort of thing that bothers you, enjoy the story!
on January 22, 2011
How did I feel about this book? Meh.

I definitely wasn't crazy about how the story ended. The writing itself has improved. I only noticed a couple of typos in this book.

Now to the point: This book, this series, these are NOT "eChildren's Books" and I wish Kindle and Amazon would stop marketing it as such. Just because the character is 17/18 doesn't mean this series is for all teenagers.

This particular book has quite a sex scene. So much so that it really leaves NOTHING to the imagination. I can't think of another young adult book that goes this least in Stephenie Meyer's "Breaking Dawn" most of the intercourse was implied. This is actually pretty graphic and I certainly do not recommend it for all teenagers. It's probably one that mom or dad should read first.
on April 24, 2012
In the third and last installment of the Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking, we pick up a little bit after the last book, Torn, left off. Wendy is now in a position of greater power, as she turns eighteen, marries, and is on the verge of becoming queen of Forening. However, it is obvious that it is not going to be a smooth transition for her or those around her. With more power comes greater danger, and given who her parents are, she is in the greatest of all dangers. She must deal with a looming war, devastation at the hands of her father, and still focus on the goals she wishes to accomplish as leader.

In Ascend, it seems that not much has changed from Torn. Wendy is still trying to navigate her way around three guys, two of which she has strong feelings towards but are both somewhat forbidden. She still has not let her aunt in on her new life. There are still divisions of class and race that stand in the way of many of those around her being with the ones they love- including herself. Of course, some of these things are about the change, but whether they will change quickly enough remains to be seen.

While I really enjoyed the first two books in this series, I found Ascend to be lacking in anything that would surprise me. It was a good read, but predictable throughout. Maybe I was expecting something a bit edgier, but this wrap-up fell a bit flat for me. There are already enough fairytales out there, and I was just hoping for a less obvious ending. Also, the only other part I found troubling was in dealing with her husband, Tove, hitting her in one scene. All the characters were in agreement that it was unacceptable, yet they all gave the same "he didn't mean to do it, he was not himself, and he was just under a lot of pressure" excuses. Regardless of him harnessing great power, the explaining away of abusive behavior seems somewhat irresponsible in YA fiction- even if he apologizes in the end.

However, even given the couple of weak points, I found Ascend to be entertaining; and it did make me feel warm and fuzzy at its conclusion. Hocking has delivered a great, well-plotted, well-paced Trylle-ogy that really does make one want to read from beginning to end. The magical feeling surrounding the happenings of Wendy allows the reader to be drawn in to a fresh fairytale for today's YA audience, as Hocking lives her own fairytale ending.
on February 23, 2011

I loved the My Blood Approves series and was excited to read the Trylle series. I am a mom of small children and in my late twenties but still LOVED the blood books. However, the Trylle trilogy was disappointing. The first book started out promising. It was a unique idea and the characters were interesting. The lack of character development is a problem for the author and that soon revealed itself in book one when I found that I really didn't know the characters by the end of the book. Matt, for example, is very one dimensional. His behavior is very strange and honestly borders on psychotic in my opinion. Why is he so angry and protective? I get that Wendy had a traumatic childhood but that doesn't explain Matt's issues.

The lack of character development is not the biggest problem with the series-I also found the writing much more juvenile than the author's other books. I felt like I was reading a teenager's work and this was not a problem in the My Blood Approves books. The dialogue was weak and so much of book three just seemed like filler. I didn't get why she went to her father only to come home and then go back again? That made no sense to me?

Finally, the Finn vs. Loki thing at the end. Maybe it is because I am happily married but the adultery was disgusting. I lost respect for Wendy completely because she is SO weak about the whole thing. I felt sorry for Tove and wanted to slap them both. The marriage became filler at that point because it made me wonder why the whole marriage became part of the plot if Tove was going to come along and then annul it? And why did Finn suddenly drop off the face of the earth? Wendy and Finn were so hot and heavy and then suddenly, in book three, Loki is the love interest and Finn is not?

The series is entertaining to read and was still a very interesting idea. I think that if the author had taken more time to edit it, develop characters, and written more decisively then it would have been a great series instead of a so-so one.
on January 16, 2011
I felt that the author got tierd of writing the series and just wanted to end it. There really wasn't much substance in this third one. I really enjoyed the first two, could hardly put them down, can't say the same for this one