5.0 out of 5 stars Trivium's sophomore release is a thriller.
Published on June 13, 2006 by Brent M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome package, but falls short in some areas
Published on May 28, 2006 by Michael D. Ropp

5.0 out of 5 stars Trivium's sophomore release is a thriller., June 13, 2006
Brent M. "Melon" (south-eastern Ohio, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
This album was the first real metal album that I listened to. It is really what turned me into the metalhead that I am today. A friend told me about this band when he first heard their drummer, Travis Smith, laying down just about the fastest double kicking he'd ever heard. As he described it, Travis Smith had "feet on steroids". I checked them out, and at first, I had thought there was too much screaming. However, I then began to look into other metal bands, such as my current favorite, Opeth, and somehow began to appreciate this newly discovered style of music. This CD deserves five stars because of the rare, wonderfully clean vocals of Matt Heafy, and also because of the consistent guitar harmonies. Some may say it is 'not the first album to use clean vocals on the chorus', but yes, we know that, it isn't. Trivium's 'Ascendency' may not be the first to use clean vocals, but I think they do it very well, in fact, better than most other bands. Even though the whole CD is near flawless, here are some of my absolute favorite tracks ( Yes, I know that they are mostly all together, but thats just the way the CD goes ) :

2. Rain - I'd call it a tie for my favorite between this song and Drowned and Torn Asunder. The constant, blazing double kick assault is really what makes this song. I especially like the end of the song where there is a major tempo change and Heafy sings, "Swallow every blasphemy. Eat out your heart and make it bleed."
3. Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr - Great lead-in by Travis on this song. The vocals on this track are very fierce, and the chorus is one of my favorites.
4. Drowned And Torn Asunder - Superior vocals on the chorus, the best on the album. Great double kicking once again during the verses.
5. Ascendency - Not much lyrics to this song, but it is still a thriller. The intro will send chills down your spine. Matt is spilling his guts during the verses.
6. A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation - Wow, one of the best guitar solos that I have ever heard. This song is probably the heaviest on the album, which makes a nice break-up in the material.
12. Declaration - A PERFECT closer. Gotta love that signature Travis Smith 16th note assault on the kick drum. Probably the most meaningful lyrics on the CD, too. The whole song is just amazing. Period.

So, really, in conclusion, if you are new to metal and need an introduction, I recommend this CD. It is probably the best place to start for anyone. Hell, even if you're not just starting up, it's still a really great album to add to your collection. I'd place "Ascendancy" among my top 10 favorites of all time. Also, look for their new album when it hits the racks this fall. Thank you for your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm giving it 5 stars but..., March 16, 2005
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
...some of the growls seem forced to me. It's like there's a formula with metal bands nowadays that goes: scream the verses, sing the choruses. I understand that the screaming adds addrenaline to the song, but in some scenarios it is not necessary. I'm just saying that Trivium should give more clean vocals a shot next outing.

But, no one in their right mind can question the talent of this band or the quality of this CD. It's just plain sick how well they play together.

Heafy's got one hell of a voice though. Low growls, screams, clean...he can do it all. Add in great drumming (double bass with a fury), and amazing solos to get Ascendancy. It's a pure rush, beautiful and crushing at the same time.

All of the songs are written well...whoever writes the lyrics in the band should pat themselves on the back. My favorite song is "A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation", where they break up the mayhem in the middle of the song with a homage to 80s metal. Awesomeness...

Overall, these guys stand above almost all the American "metal" bands nowadays. Like the guy below me said, if you own two metalcore albumns for this decade, make it Ascendancy and Avenged Sevenfold's "Waking the Fallen".

I also recommend Soilwork's new release "Stabbing the Drama", as well as Trivium's debut "Ember to Inferno" which is *almost* as good as this release.

5.0 out of 5 stars I see the future of metal., June 23, 2005
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
Wow, just wow. This cd blew me away. Only about 3 or 4 cds have ever been able to impress me as much as Trivium's Ascendancy. If you like metal. I recommend this. This is NOT metalcore. This is just straight up metal. With such emo/pop/punk crap filling the radio today, it may seem like no band would ever come back and redeem bands who have just sold their souls for a few bucks, Metallica, Megadeth etc etc. If Trivium can release atleast 3 more cds as good as this they will be the next Metallica, end of story. Here is my personal opinion on the song's for this album.

The End of Everything - 4/5 a mellow acoustic intro song. Gets you excited for the album.

Rain - 5/5 first full length song and can you say mind blowing? This song just comes out with some awesome guitar work and kicks your ass.

Pull Harder On The Strings of Your Martyr - 20/5 I'm listening to this song right now and it is simply one of the best metal songs I have heard in a long time. A true metal anthem right here. Everything is perfect in this song.

Drowned and Torn Asunder - 5/5 First thirty seconds or so are a bit mellow, then it starts to speed up. The singer has a great singing voice when he uses it.

Ascendancy - 4/5 When this song started it didn't impress me much but as it goes on it just gets better and better.

A Gunshot To The Head of Trepidation - 5/5 Newest single from this album and all I can say is killer guitar work! Even though these guys are young, they know what they're doing.

Like Light To The Flies - 5/5 Mesmerizing song, I love the drums on this song.

Dying In Your Arms - 4.5/5 What does every great metal album need? a ballad of course and that is what this song is. A good one at that. Melodic guitar work and good singing make this track quite impressive.

The Deceived - 4.5/5 How does Trivium follow up after a ballad? An awesome some which has heavy and melodic parts, the guitar in the chorus just is incredible.

Suffocating Sight - 6/5 Another favorite of mine, I love how it goes from melodic singing to a straight up mosh pit anthem

Departure - 5/5 This song starts out with more incredible guitar work, followed by some acoustic guitar, with vocals to match the atmosphere.

Declaration - 6/5 Vocal/lyrics wise, this is one of the best here. "I'll be right here, falling away fighting on principle. I'll die 1,000 times before i'll ever be them!!!!"

To end this, this cd is amazing. Plain and simple. If you love metal and its many many forms I can NOT reccomend this enough. Now what the hell are you doing still reading this!?!? Go out and buy it. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars have you ever praised a cd? its probably useless now., March 15, 2005
dave "punkbass4213" (north kingstown, ri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
A friend of mine at work showed me this band, he saw them on tour with It Dies Today. I thought they were pretty good, fast, hard, but still melodic and technical in the guitar work, which is perfect when pulled off. So I got Ember to Inferno. That cd really caught on. The first 2 tracks were the best probably, and the rest still shone. When I heard that Ascendancy was coming out in two weeks, I was like, killer, I find a new band and i get 2 times the material. I went to Trivium's site one day and watched the 'Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr' video, and from the drum opening i was like "wow these guys have definitely grown, if that is possible." This song was AMAZING. So in your face with the riffs, and Matt's vocals and drums, it blew my mind. And then the solo. Good heavens, the solo. I had always enjoyed the shredding work of legends like Zakk Wylde and Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King, but good god, these guys BLEW MY MIND. The solo for that song alone became my new favorite guitar solo ever. I listened to that song over and over again. I just had to get the cd, and boy did it do Trivium justice. Not only is this the best metal record recently (along with 2003's Waking the Fallen by Avenged Sevenfold), it is probably one of the greatest metal records we will see in our time. The solos are blistering, very reminiscent of Zakk Wylde (who in my opinion is the best guitarist of all time), and they are so young, they have so many more albums to pour out for us. So you're probably saying, why waste my time with this new Roadrunner band, they're probably nu-metal. But they are bringing metal to a whole other level with their dark, but melodic breed of metalcore. All of their songs are unique, and oh so talented. My favorite still remains "Pull harder..." but every one is a gem. Even the opening track sounds cool and eerie. For any rock fan, this is a mandatory cd to check out, and i've been listening to rock all my life. The guitars are some of the best ever, the drums are very good, and the singing is also unbelievable. Props to Trivium for making the best record in AGES, and I hope that they get famous, and if they do, they dont sell out, because this is the kind of music American culture should recognize.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trivium fronts a spectacular sophomore assault on Ascendency, March 18, 2005
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
The first track that I heard off of this new CD, "Like Light to the Flies", quite a while back, made me assume that it was going to be alot like "Ember to Inferno", some shiny moments with a rather repetitive nature. After "The End of Everything", the opening track, this album just cries out greatness with an effort so coercive and ear catching, that it makes you want to pump your fist in the air and bow down to the greatness of such a young and talented metal superpower. Trivium casts off an awful lot of doubts from fans out there and shows how great they really are right now, and how bright the future is for them. Trivium has come an awful long way since the release of "Ember".

First off, this music will remind a lot of people of old Metallica and other bay area thrash acts. Then, it pushes in some great Euro-influence (Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity) to add a whole new dimension to an American metal sound that, in many ways, has long since died. The solos on this CD are as devastating as one written by Children of Bodom, yet they are clean and technically flawless like a Kirk Hammett or Dave Mustaine style solo. This CD has so much retro character and modern appeal that it will send fans into headbanging fits for hours. Some standout surprises, not including my favorite track "Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr", include "A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation" (which sounds like something off of "Ride the Lightning" with alot of modern metalcore appeal) and "Dying in Your Arms" (a new age, power metal type ballad that has too much power to even be thought of as a ballad),heck the whole CD stands out immensely. This is mainly because you just don't hear newer metal bands write music like this anymore. They concentrate too much on being harsh and heavy (works for a short period of time), but not subtle, technical, and musical. This alone sets Trivium apart from most of the other bands that are out there right now.

The masters behind the name Trivium are, quite possibly, the best in the business at this present time. Matt Heafy is a spectacular vocalist and a just as awesome guitarist. He cranks out some of the greatest solos that one could imagine at this era in metal for someone as young as he is. Corey Beaulieu is just as good as any Dave Mustaine or Kirk Hammett, in fact better in so many ways. Travis and Paolo are two great instrumentalists that complete this metal superpower in the most perfect way. Metal fans be warned, there is no one better than Trivium out there, right now. Imagine how great these guys will be in another five years.

I know that the Grammy voters have something against modern metal, but this is an album that really should not be overlooked. To do so would be a crime in my eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASILY ONE OF THE BEST METAL ALBUMS OUT THERE!!!!!, March 16, 2005
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
people end up saying this about a lot of records, but it's coming straight from my heart- i am in love with this record lol. it's heavy, it's melodic, the vocals are AMAZING, and the drumming is nothing short of jaw dropping. here's a synopsis of the cd

1. everything ends (10/10)- an incredible instrumental, very melodic and haunting

2. rain (10/10)- fast and heavy, and the breakdown in the end is very mosh-worthy

3. pull harder on the strings of your martyr (100/10)- by far the best song on this record, it's heavy and chorus is very melodic, and the solo is amazing. the lyrics are also powerful

4. drowned and torn asunder (10/10)- nothing short of perfect, the chorus has some of the best melody on the cd

5. ascendency (10/10)- this title track is one of the best title tracks ive ever heard in my life.

6. gunshot to the head of trepidation (10/10)- starts off with all out heavy metal, and at the end it goes into a melodic, old-school metal kind of thing, and i love it!

7. like light to the flies (50/10)- the first trivium song i ever heard, and once i heard it, they instantly became one of my favorite bands. it's that good!

8. dying in your arms (10/10)- probably the most poppy song on the cd. the melodies are upbeat but the lyrics are crazy

9. the deceived (69/10)- also a favorite track of mine on the cd. i like this version better than the one on their limited edition of ember to inferno

10. suffocating sight (9/10)- probably one of my least favorites on the album, but it's still amazing. the breakdowns in it are cool

11. departure (10/10)- the acoustic guitar in this song is beautiful

12. declaration (10/10)- an awesome way to end the record. i like how they address issues of racial equality, and discrimination agaisnt homosexuality, awareness does need to be spread.

well there ya go! one of the best metal albums ever written! if you like in flames, dark tranquillity, children of bodom, killswitch engage, shadows fall, or unearth, you'll fall in love. and if you havnt heard of ANY of these bands, still pick it up, because it WILL change you

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Of 2005 So Far, May 11, 2005
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
That kid below me knows nothing about this release. This band actually tends to stand out. It's kind of a mix of Avenged Sevenfold and All That Remains, along with some of their unique elements in it. "Like Light To The Flies", the first video single, is a great track that may sound like All That Remains at first, but it's not that bad of a track. Besides, bands don't completely rip off of other bands. For example, take Zao and As I Lay Dying. You may think that As I Lay Dying's "Beneath The Encasing Of Ashes" may sound like Zao's "Where Blood And Fire Bring Rest" at first, but take another listen and you will find some differences in the sound. The second video single, "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr", appeals more to me than "Light Like To The Flies", as the opening drum line really gets things going. "A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation" is the band's next single, and it is a great track as well.

Highly recommended if you like these CD's:

"This Darkened Heart" by All That Remains

"Waking The Fallen" by Avenged Sevenfold

"Stabbing The Drama" by Soilwork

5.0 out of 5 stars Way too good..., March 28, 2005
D. Norbut (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
This band has more potential than anyone could possibly imagine. The fact that they produced this AMAZING record when all the band members are between the ages of 19-23, is just mind-blowing. And this is no beginner's luck, their debut album was quite good too. 2 certifiably quality metal releases at this stage in their careers; one can only assume Trivium will be praised in the metal community for quite some time.

Here's to shifting a bit of the metal momentum back stateside!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trivium Ascend Into Something Greater ! ! !, March 14, 2005
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
Wow... I just bought this CD about four hours ago, and I just keep playing it over and over! It is absolutely amazing!!! I first heard of Trivium through the MTV2 Headbangers Ball Vol. 2 CD, and I thought that Like Light To The Flies was a great song. So I picked up there first CD Ember To Inferno... and then I was hooked! I also saw them live opening for KillSwitch Engage, which was a great show, and made them one of my favorite bands. While Ember To Inferno is a great CD, Ascendancy is so much more! I can't even find the words to explain how good it is. And it is not like there are some good songs and the rest are average. No... Every single song is a gem! How many CD's can you say that about? They have experimented with their sound a little bit, which I think is a good thing. While some people are going to criticize songs like Dying In Your Arms for being to commercial, I think it is a welcome change of sound for this group. But they also stick to their signature sound, which is very heavy, quite a bit. They are great at making songs about diverse subjects, such as suicide on Departure, child and spousal abuse on A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, to how all people are drawn to destruction and mayhem on Like Light To The Flies. But not only is there great subject matter, it is just a great CD to rock out to!!! The melodies on songs like Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr, Ascendancy, Suffocating Sight, and especially Departure are just crazy. Overall, this is a must have!!! Fans of Killswitch Engage, 36 Crazyfists, and Shadows Fall NEED this CD. This is my new favorite CD, along with Killswitch Engage's The End Of Heartache!!! So go pick up two or three copies... it's that good!! Also if they come to your town, go see their live show show... it is fantastic!!! Enjoy!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome package, but falls short in some areas, May 28, 2006
This review is from: Ascendancy (Audio CD)
I bought Ascendancy the day it came out, and I love it, it quickly became one of my favorite cds. A little while later I got the privelage of being an extra in the music video for A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation, so of course, when a special addition cd came out with the music video I had to have it. I have to agree with the other reviewers in the fact that the new songs are AWESOME, especially Blinding Tears Will Break the Skies, and the Master of Puppets cover was amazingly done. I felt like the radio version of Dying in Your Arms was not needed, especially since very little on it changed. I liked the piano intro, but I hate it when bands do radio edit for their songs and cut out the screaming. If I heard the song on the radio and loved it for being metal without screaming, I would be totally pissed off after buying the cd. They should have totally redone the song or done nothing at all, it was a great song to begin with.

Onto the DVD, the music videos for the most part were great. I wasn't a huge fan of the Rain video or the Dying in Your Arms video because they seemed pretty rushed and sloppily put together to me. The other videos were awesome, with great lighting and great shots put in, and some sort of a theme. The two mentioned above seemed they shot a video of the band playing the song live and matched up the audio when they could and then put in random shots between them. It also seemed like the cameras were cheap cam-corder things.

Now the live show. I don't even know where to begin with how disappointed I was with the live show. I honestly can not figure out why the band would have released this show on DVD for any of their fans to hear. Matt Heafy is an amazing vocalist and both guitarists are awesome.....on cd. Matt was having lots of trouble hitting the notes in some of the songs, and a few of the lead parts on guitar were played out of key by Corey. There are also lots of background vocals by Paulo, who obviously did not sing the parts on the cd because he sounds totally off. The songs are played pretty much in double time which is awesome becuase it would be really hard to play Triviums songs at the speed they were recorded at, but it also seems kind of sloppy. If the band wanted the songs to be that fast, they should have recorded them that fast.

In conclusion, if you want to buy a Trivium cd, get this version. The entire cd is amazing and it's worth getting the limited edition for the music videos and the bonus songs, however, if it bothers you when bands can't really pull off their own songs live, you may want to just never watch the concert section.

Ascendancy
Ascendancy by Trivium (Audio CD - 2005)