Ask

Published on May 8, 2011 by Stuart|Anne

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but my kids didn't read it
Published on September 22, 2007 by Elizabeth A Triano

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, thoughtful articles for kids who are interested and willing, May 8, 2011
This review is from: Ask (Magazine)
My elementary age kids are just beginning to understand the larger scope of the world and human knowledge. While in the process of looking for good magazines about current events I came across Ask, Muse and Dig. I signed up for a subscription to Ask in hopes that it would help my kids get that better understanding of the world of ideas. We've been quite pleased with it.

In that process of looking for good kids magazines we tried out a bunch of them, and got subscriptions to most. Here's my quick quick rundown

Kids Discover: heavy on pictures, light on words. The articles tend to be little snippets and factoids without context or much explanation.
National Geographic Kids: heavy on pictures, light on the words. Articles are a bit more in depth than Kids Discover.
Time for Kids: Thin and a bit flimsy, but comes frequently (every two weeks?) and covers major current events pretty well. Different versions are available for different ages. Order it from the Time for Kids web site since Amazon doesn't seem to carry it.
Dig: In depth interesting articles addressing history and society under the guise of archeology. Probably best for late elementary and middle school, and/or more thoughtful kids.
Ask and Muse: In depth interesting articles addressing all sorts of thoughtful topics. Probably best for late elementary and middle school, and/or more thoughtful kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ask is amazing!, October 24, 2007
This review is from: Ask (Magazine)
Ask Magazine is another wonderful publication from the originators of Cricket. Ask is all about arts and sciences, with each issue having one unifying theme. The recommended age range is from seven to ten, but younger fluent readers can also enjoy Ask.

Ask contains regular features as well as a variety of articles related to the central theme. "Scoops" is a two page spread of science news and discoveries. One story might be on a robotic arm, another on the acquisition of language in sac-winged bats. "Nestor's Dock" is a double page cartoon with enjoyable recurring characters. Each issue also has a contest which ties in with the theme. The water issue asks readers to design a fountain, the learning issue requests that readers design a school, and an art issue invites readers to copy their favorite work of art. Winners have their entries printed in a future issue. "Jimmy and the Bug" is another regular feature. Here, readers questions are answered in cartoon format. Questions might appear simple, "Why do lions have manes?" or more complex, " what are the rings around planets made of?" Answers are both thoughtful and informative. Every issue ends with the silly but sweet cartoon, "Marvin and Friends", on the back cover.

The "Making Art" issue of Ask includes a lovely piece on quilting traditions in rural Alabama. Many beautiful photos of quilts are displayed alongside comments from their creators. In the same edition, "Playing with Mud" showcases delicate Korean celadon pottery.

"The Liquid of Life" issue of Ask has a fascinating story on water. It covers the water cycle, water forms, a water molecule diagram, and gorgeous photographs of a water droplet, snowflake, and children and animals in various poses with rain and snow. Information offered can be quite complex, but it is just the thing for feeding hungry young intellects. This issue also has water trivia cards, with intriguing questions such as, what can go longer without water, a camel, or a giraffe? An article on water powered generators is very well done, and the issue is rounded out with a nice tour of bogs, fens, swamps, and marshes.

I'm very pleased to recommend Ask. It's funny but not obnoxious, informative but not controversial, with articles a bit shorter and lighter than those found in big brother's Muse Magazine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fourth Grade Teacher Review, December 7, 2004
This review is from: Ask (Magazine)
Ask is an informative, high quality magazine for children that engages them as readers and learners. Since each issue is devoted to a particular theme, my students gain indepth information about a variety of topics. They are fascinated by the attractive format -- which includes wonderful photographs, illustrations, and graphic aids that are appropriate for young readers. My students have eagerly written letters to the editor and entered the bi-monthly contests. I highly recommend Ask as an excellent magazine for school libraries, classrooms, and homes.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY, April 28, 2005
This review is from: Ask (Magazine)
A magazine my children love as much as I do!!! We homeschool and love to plan lessons around all the fun articles and recommended activities. My children look forward to each and every copy. And guess what??? NO ADS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Photos, Great Articles, GREAT MAGAZINE!!!, December 6, 2005
Gina O'Neil "ginagina" (Knoxville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ask (Magazine)
I bought Ask for my 8 year old son. I think I am as excited as he is when a new one arrives. It is very educational and brings out a little explorer in all of us. You will be so glad you bought Ask. They don't teach this stuff in school. My son wants to be a scientist when he grows up, now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, real science delivered in a kid's magazine, January 21, 2011
This review is from: Ask (Magazine)
The Cricket Magazine Group produces a number of high-quality, no nonsense magazines for kids. Ask is just one terrific example in their lineup. If your child enjoyed Click, a magazine from the same group in a similar vein for 3 to 6 year olds, they are very likely to enjoy Ask. If they didn't enjoy Click, you might give Ask a try anyway. It is meant for 6 to 9 year olds, however some of the content is, perhaps surprisingly, relatively mature for the younger ages so they may get a lot more out of it you don't just give it to them and walk away. That may of course be true for most serious material designed for children in this age bracket.

From a recent issue, allow me to demonstrate with a story about how size influences seemingly super power ability, or not. They setup the educational part of the article very playfully: `So what are these rules that stop us from having super powers? They aren't rules made by humans that you can disobey, like "no ice cream until you eat your broccoli."' Many stories weaves kid-friendly language and serious concepts like that. This one goes on to say, `How much food and air bodies need depends on their volume and weight. But the strength of muscles and size of organs depend on the body's cross section.' Out of context, that last sentence may seem too sophisticated a concept for 6 year olds, but it's marvelously done, not talking down to kids, but reaching them in a way they can understand.

Each issue is about 30 pages. There are no ads. There are short recurring cartoon strips, short stories, even shorter one or two paged theme-based "Scoops" and a Contest and Letters section. The contributions from other kids around the globe is a great part of this magazine and may help motivate your children as well. Encouraging children to participate by submitting material to the magazine is a good way to keep them engaged and interested.

As a learning tool, a means to encourage curiosity, to develop an interest in science and foster reading, Ask is a wonderful resource in the right setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get her to STOP reading it, November 9, 2009
This review is from: Ask (Magazine)
She reads it when it comes, she reads it before bed, she even reads it in the bathroom. My 6 year old LOVES this magazine...and she really retains the information inside! During a penguin unit at school she recalled an issue from 3 months back that discussed tagging penguins. While watching an episode of myth busters where they tested swimming through syrup vs. water she told me what would happen before we saw it because she recalled reading a small blurb about the same experiment in the previous months issue....she even went back to the magazine and read me the small bullet.

Her excitement at the arrival of this magazine is on par with getting cookies in the mail. I cannot recommend this magazine highly enough. My only complaint is, how do I get her to stop reading this magazine in the bathroom when she is supposed to be getting ready for school?

5.0 out of 5 stars My grandkids asked for this!, August 30, 2007
This review is from: Ask (Magazine)
This is a knock-out magazine! I originally ordered it two years ago, for a 9-year-old's birthday. He and his brother (and mom) tell me they devour every issue, then save them to re-read another time. So, of course, I've renewed the subscription this year. I liked it when I first saw it in a bookstore because it has educational information and was attractive. That it also grabs the attention of kids bombarded by videos, violence, flash and passive entertainment, and gets them involved in learning - quite a feat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the rest, March 6, 2004
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Ask (Magazine)
I started reading ASK after I had already suscribed to MUSE for less than a year. The information in ASK is just as challeging and exciting as magazines for older kids! I love the pictures, format, activities; even the font of it. Anyone who breathes, lives, and exists normally--read ASK!

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but my kids didn't read it, September 22, 2007
Elizabeth A Triano "lizziewriter" (In Transition, NY (watch this space)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ask (Magazine)
Like all of the magazines from the folks that bring us Cricket and Spider, this is an attractive work, full of diverse types of stories and artwork. Unfortunately, however, too many of the children I know (my own included) find it uninteresting, perhaps due to the lack of recognizable characters or even the zing of advertising. It's a sad state of affairs, but I wanted to speak up and suggest that other parents/aunts/godparents maybe get a trial copy to run by the kid in question, before committing to the ongoing expenses of maintaining subscriptions here and there. Good luck all!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›