nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2012 12:57:46 AM PDT
Are the 4:3 movies windowboxed so that when you watch them, they're square with black on all four sides ?

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:02:25 PM PDT
Creature From the Black Lagoon is presented in it's original aspect ratio of 1.85:1. It looks amazing. One of the great 3D films of the 1950s.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:20:13 PM PST
They are not window-boxed, i.e. no black on top and bottom.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:28:15 PM PST
So on a 4:3 tv, it will fill the screen ? Or will it be windowboxed on a widescreen tv ?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:42:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 3:44:40 AM PST
Window-boxed has BLACK on top, bottom, and both sides -- different from "letter-boxed" which is also a descriptive term for that
MAIL slot on a Post Office LETTER box.

BTW: The answer is to the original question:

Universal Studios, often, BEGINS older movies ["Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein", for example.] in window-boxed format so
that you don't get any of the FILM CREDIT information cut-off on a mal-adjusted TV. The film, THEN, thereafter, automatically,
re-converts itself to the proper 4:3.

Here's the problem. People that are younger -- and more impatient -- than myself will automatically ZOOM their TV picture, and...
when the non-credits portion of the movie starts they are missing a major portion of the film. Leave your damn hands OFF the remote!
Be patient, enjoy!
BTW: Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy] (Universal's 100th Anniversary) looks GREAT on Blu-ray.
The picture starts as I described. So clear, you can see Lon Chaney, Junior's eye-lashes, and, trust me, he doesn't HAVE many.
The, included, DVD is about twelve years old, and looks lots worse.
If you've only seen this Fright-Comedy on VHS/DVD, you haven't seen it, at all!

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 3:47:14 AM PST
MacGuffin says:
"Window-boxed has BLACK on top, bottom, and both sides"

Academy Standard on my TV is only black on the sides. The AR is configured to "set by program" (not being one to mess with such things, I only zoomed for the first 100 hours when breaking in the set).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2014 5:59:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2014 6:01:12 AM PST
Whatever...
appreciate your comment.

My 55" Sony Bravia has a bit off the top and bottom --- on the first few minutes [only] ---
of old Universal City Studio movies that, traditionally use MOST of the old "square" screen
from the olden days before wider-screen formats...

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) looks ----- absolutely! -----
fantastic with the "2D to 3D" feature on my TV engaged. Wow!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 5:29:57 AM PDT
P. ODea says:
Is Dracula supposed to be in the box square format (black on both sides, none on top or bottom)?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 6:05:51 AM PDT
P. ODea :
If you're asking ME, I repeat:
It is common for the openning credits---only---[of movies from the '30s & '40s] to be window-boxed
[so that the letters are not cut off on the top nor bottom of your screen]. The movie reverts, all by it-
self to the correct [square] aspect ratio when the opening credits are over.
DON'T be tempted to hit the ZOOM on your remote!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 6:36:01 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Anything shot in Academy Standard and presented in its original aspect ratio (OAR) should fill an "old" TV screen or look as you describe on a new set unless you fiddle with the settings. You can always check the specs of a title on IMDb (under Additional Details)--they seem to be pretty accurate. And I'm with Mr. Grösch-McCluskey on this--watch content in its OAR. That's the way it was shot and that's the way it looks best. And if your set's settings for image include a "set by program" option, I highly recommend using it. In fact, because not all widescreen films are/were shot in the same AR (in fact, some titles have more than one, e.g. Patton and Psycho), I often have black bars at the top and bottom of my 55" screen when viewing vintage content such as that shown on TCM. This bothers me not a whit--resolution is a lot more important to me than having every square inch of that screen filled.

http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml

http://filmmakeriq.com/lessons/the-changing-shape-of-cinema-the-history-of-aspect-ratio/

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xpjTluRSS5N/learn/learningcenter/home/aspect_ratio.html Notice that not leaving things the way they are with a 4:3 image results at best in loss of content and at worst in distortion. (The final image is actual widescreen and doesn't count.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 7:04:14 AM PDT
P. ODea says:
Thanks to both of you. I just thought it odd that my Dracula Legacy Collection DVD is full screen but the Blu-ray in this collection is "square". I think I understand you telling me that square is the way it was shot and the way it should be presented in the Blu-ray. Sorry, I'm not very technical.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 2:17:00 PM PDT
Charlie says:
P.ODea -- the problem is that you're playing them on a older-style TV with a 4:3 shaped screen. Blu-ray discs are formatted for wide screen TVs. On a 4:3 TV, yes, it may be "widow boxed" -- have bars on all 4 sides. That's not the case on a wide screen TV.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 3:02:08 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
So you're saying that despite a film's actual AR, once it makes it to Blu-ray, it's going to project widescreen?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 3:18:53 PM PDT
Charlie says:
No, not at all! I'm saying that on a wide screen TV, a 4.3 film will have black bars on the sides only. On an older style 4.3 screen you may see black bars on all 4 sides.

Hope that is a little clearer! :)

Posted on May 20, 2014 3:27:56 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
MUCH--thanks!

Posted on May 21, 2014 12:05:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2014 1:31:39 AM PDT
"MacGuffin":

McCluskey, here. I'm a top 500 reviewer, here; but am only #59,999 in The United Kingdom's Amazon.Com.UK.
God---truly!---bless "Charlie", he MEANT well, but he should have answered your question: =============>
"It depends!"

I have one of those widescreen TVs, of which "Charlie" speaks. It's a 55" one. I just threw a few MONSTER Blu-rays in
my player.

The Wolf Man (Lon Chaney, Jr.) [Blu-ray] starts out with the, new, correct, aspect-ratio, which c-o-m-p-l-e-t-e-l-y fills my
screen, top, bottom, right and left for JUST the Universal Studio's 100th year openning logo leader clip.
Then, the movie, itself, starts, and then fills the screen's top AND bottom.... except on the sides, which have black bars, i.e.,
I have an OLD fullscreen picture... as seen on an o-l-d, obsolete, analog, 45", conventional, CRT, "glass picture tube".
Naturally, the biggest old "square" (full-screen) TV e-v-e-r, conventionally, made was a 35" one---that I paid $5,000 for
[it weighed 265 lbs!]{recently couldn't even GIVE it away}---but it had no black bars... unless I was watching one of those
new fangled widescreen VHS-video-cassette tape cartridges.
Well, back to the future, today, however, I slapped Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (Blu-ray) into my disc player.
Same widescreen, color, 100th anniversary logo movie studio ID clip. Then, for one-minute and 34-seconds, the openning
credits plays in the "window-boxed" format with black bars all around. After which, the remainder of the film only has bars
on the sides.

Like "Charlie" and I've said---and often---DON'T hit the aspect-ZOOM button unless you are watching older DVDs that
DON'T
say they are <===a-n-o-m-o-r-p-h-i-c===> widescreen films that automatically fill your widescreen TV to whichever as-
pect ratio looks BEST. Films such as Ben-Hur: 50th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray], in a widescreen format that is SOooooooooooooooooo
wide, it REALLY DOES look like an actual LETTER-BOX-SLOT, and would, in fact, be almost UN-watchable on less than a 29"
TV, of old.
I might add, that an old (100 pound) 29" Panasonic TV cost me more---then---than my 55" 3D TV cost me, now.

Briefly, the answer is do NOT hit ZOOM unless the ENTIRE movie is WINDOWBOXED.... which should only occur on DVDs that
are 10 years old...

"It depends!"

"Big Mac"
GERMANY

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014 6:11:25 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
Hey, you don't have to tell me not to hit "zoom!" I'm a purist (which means I'm not even going to do a 2D - to - 3D conversion on a 2D movie, even though I can). That's why I'm so happy that my LG has a "set by program" option--I get images exactly as shot/as the director intended . . . unless someone tampered with the release (I make it a point to try to avoid such atrocities, i.e. The Trouble with Angels, which Sony (in its infinite wisdom) released in pan-and-scan.

To anyone reading this, PLEASE take the advice of us oldsters. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A WIDESCREEN SET DOES NOT MEAN EVERYTHING HAS TO BE VIEWED WIDESCREEN! Seriously, guys, there were only a few films shot in widescreen prior to 1953, and the aspect ratio of some of the silents was even narrower (these appear pillarboxed). Unless you need a minimum number of screen-filling hours on your new set to minimize "ghosting" (in my case, it was 100 hours), please resist the urge to "zoom." As I type, a rerun of Daniel Boone on Me TV is being broadcast and enjoyed in glorious Academy Standard. Trust me, on a 55" set, there's plenty of image to enjoy, even with black bars on the side.

Posted on May 21, 2014 10:22:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2014 10:31:22 AM PDT
MacGuffin:
Amen; agreed; willco!
BTW: The ONLY movie I have ever hit the 2D to 3D button on is
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (Blu-ray).
The scenes--- notice MY Profile Photo --- of the monster in McDoogle's House of Horrors
have REAL depth, and is better 3D than, for example, Creature From The Black Lagoon.
Amazing. Oh, and "Mac", I GOT a large TV because MOST of my film library is just seen
on the center 45" of my 55" TV... as GOD---and the individual Directors---intended.

I just signed up---and I'm 65---for that Facebook thingie. I was surprised HOW easy it is
to find someone... when you KNOW what their FACEBOOK name IS. Great pictures of me
AS the Frankenstein monster... I'm almost 7-foot with my boots.
Also a photo of me standing next to the, nearly, ten inches shorter, George "Mister Sulu" Takei.

A great 8-minute video---of me---BECAUSE it features the volcano in my backyard... and our
"hammy" cat! All on my FB page.

Michael Groesch-McCluskey
only one on FB!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014 3:42:43 PM PDT
MacGuffin says:
LOL with the exception of some boards, I avoid social networking groups like the plague. :) But I like connecting with like-minded folk on boards like this, especially when we can help receptive folks like P. ODea.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014 11:35:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2014 11:39:42 PM PDT
Speaking of Mister P. O Dea... looking the name, I assume he watched a lot of The Best of the Original Mickey Mouse Club.
The E-N-C-Y-C-L-O-P-E-D-I-A song always ensured I NEVER misspelt THAT word in gradeschool! Wonder if it's a real name!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2014 5:05:58 AM PDT
MacGuffin says:
I'm going to guess "yes," perhaps with an apostrophe.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2014 6:39:32 AM PDT
P. ODea says:
Yes, somehow the apostrophe got lost in cyberspace. Thanks for all the feedback!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2014 6:49:15 AM PDT
Patrick O'Dea!
Ah ha!
Of the Dea clan, eh?

Son of Cluskey,
Michael McCluskey

Mac Guffin... Son of Guffin is a damn Scot!
Or so me thinks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2014 6:50:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2014 6:51:04 AM PDT
MacGuffin:

Good "guesser", eh?
What do I weigh?

Posted on May 22, 2014 6:51:25 AM PDT
311, today.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2012
Latest post:  May 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about