5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Book on Personal Development
Published on February 17, 2010 by O. Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok book. I was duped by the fake reviews.
This book was all right, but the rating does not match the quality. I have to agree that the majority of the reviews for this book do not look like they came from actual readers, based on the uniformity of the content and length, and the vagueness of the comments. I would probably have given it a decent rating if I didn't feel so deceived. I hope amazon works on fixing...
Published 18 months ago by Brent H

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Book on Personal Development, February 17, 2010
This review is from: Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words (Hardcover)
*****
I really enjoyed this author's book on personal development which he organized around the meaning of eleven words: Genshai (not treating anyone, including yourself, small), Pathfinder (leader), Namaste (respecting each person's authenticity and uniqueness), Passion (suffering for what you value), Sapere Vedere (visioning), Humility (being teachable), Inspire (breathing life into), Empathy (walking the path of another), Coach (mentoring another), and Integrity (being congruent). He emphasizes that there is much value to be found in drilling down and exploring words, and his book demonstrates this.

Aspire is a quick read chock full of valuable inspirational and motivational information that is not unique, perhaps, but organized in such a way to have more impact than other self-help books. It is also fun to read, filled with stories and excerpts from the author's journal that summarize the chapters for later reviewing. This is a book that is valuable to be purchased in hardback because it is one that you'll read again and again.

Highly recommended.
*****

5.0 out of 5 stars A Trustworthy Guide to Key Principles of a High-Quality Life, March 23, 2010
Cameron B. Clark (Bristow, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Two things motivated me to order this book: The title and the over 100 five-star reviews. Although most of the five-star reviews are from first-time amazon reviewers, this is a good book to start with. As to the title, I noticed the life principle (spirit/breath) imbedded in it. The title relates to one's aspirations, those strong desires/goals that drive one's life. I've read numerous books rated to this topic, but this one takes a different approach. As Stephen Covey states in his foreword, "Just as I broke new ground in human development over twenty years ago by uncovering the habits that make for a meaningful and effective life, Kevin is breaking new ground by uncovering and revealing the true intent and meaning of the words that make up those habits."

The text focuses on eleven key concepts or principles embedded in carefully selected words and expounds on them, providing real-life examples of individuals who embody them as well as quotes from well-known authors within the human development field. Like a light saber of highly concentrated energy that cuts through metal, the text cuts through superficial living, helping one focus on the things - and especially people - in one's life that matter most. True to the book's subtitle, the book can't define one's specific life purpose or career choice, but it can help one discover it since its quality should reflect each of the principles found in this book.

I enjoyed the author's personal touch and focus on honoring the people who positively impact one's life. I also appreciated his exposition on suffering and overcoming it with passion and integrity. All true success involves other people, those who have influenced us and those we influence, not only by example but by words. This is a great book to help one remember these truths, meditate on them, and put them into practice for the betterment of one's self and one's society. I'm glad I read it, and will certainly be referring back to it. Kevin Hall is a true humanitarian and his book deserves a wide readership.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book to be DEVOURED, February 6, 2010
TC (NC, United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow, this book is awesome. It is full of wisdom, inspiration, education, information, empowerment and really great quotes. This is not a book I would have been inclined to pick up on my own--I received it through the Amazon Vine Program and am exceedingly pleased.

Discovering your purpose through the Power of Words is almost an understatement to this book. Will you find your purpose? I don't know, but what I do know is that you will be inspired to find your purpose and will have encouragement to turn to again and again as you struggle through the path.

Each chapter focuses on one word--but what ends up happening is that you learn several words as well as engaging stories, philosophical thoughts, hope, encouragement. It is like the book ignites you to find what is inside of you that you treasure most--and to take action on it.

I can see this book easily rise to best seller status---and remain a book that is studied for years to come.

Every High School Student should read this. And it would be a great book to have discussion meetings about.

And as I side note--the book can be read and devoured in a short period of time--for me it took 1 day. And then you can return to it and savor it over a period of time.

Tami

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved Aspire Because..., February 16, 2010
James D. Nichol (Upper Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off: Aspire really inspired me. It's been a long time since a non fiction book has taken me someplace else. But Kevin Hall's little gem managed to take me on a quest and he lead me on a path that I'm thankful for. In fact I read the book twice within a week, which hasn't happened in quit a while.

Second, I found a good deal of Steven Covey's obvious influences in Aspire and in my opinion that is a good thing.

Third, his choice of words put into their historical context. Mr. Hall presents the words and the power they have in helping us understand our potential in an etymological discussion with Arthur.

Genshai ~ Never treat anyone small. If you treat other as "less than" you become small.

Pathfinder ~ Breathing life into the always overused word "Leader". Finding your path is the key to leading others.

Namaste' ~ I salute the divine within you. I especially liked reading about Einstein's question to Gandhi.

Passion ~ Suffering for what you love most. This is another overused word in our culture today. I see it on nearly every "user profile" where they are really trying to impress. What have you sincerely dedicated yourself to? Are you willing to suffer for it? Really?

Sapere Verdere ~ Knowing how to see. My latest favorite movie is Avatar. If you've seen it then you know what it means; "I see you."

Humility ~ Being open to coaching and someone teaching you. This word has been bastardized over time and become synonymous with embarrassment and weakness, nothing could be further from the real meaning. You must be confident and strong to acknowledge and accept mentorship.

Inspire ~ Breathing life into another. Breath, encourage, add to their heart, leave others better.

Empathy ~ Walking the path of another and truly understanding what they have gone through and where they are going. This is related to the overused word of the 80s "Communication" which means to share in common.

Coach ~ Carrying another. To see potential in others and to bring them up is an art form. To carry them, to teach them is, in my opinion, the highest form of art humanity can achieve.

Ollin ~ The Aztec word for Moving forward with all your heart. Very cool word. Are you "all in?" This was a new word to me.

Integrity ~ Whole and complete. Integrity does not mean 'honesty' or 'ethically pure' as the self-help industry has pitched the word over the past 35 years. Those characteristics are part of the whole. It was refreshing to learn the original meaning and hear the story related to whole and complete living.

All in all, I thought this was a great book worthy of all of the praise I have read in these reviews. I liked the way Kevin Hall used his short personal stories to start each chapter, then he took us into his personal conversation with his mentor, Arthur Watkins PhD, retired linguistics Professor and head of the department at Stanford University, Each chapter was then capped off with Kevin's personal journal entries on the word, and the his personal pursuit of the concept.

This book is Kevin Hall's personal journey told through by his quest to develop and learn. He uses these words very effectively to take the reader along with him. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Words Mean Things, Some More Than Others, January 31, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
From the time we start saying "Mama" and "Dada" as infants, the power of words becomes imminent in our lives. Whether we realize it at that time or not, what we say and how we say it from then on through the rest of our lives defines who we are to everyone around us. That's an extraordinary responsibility that too many people take for granted and get put into situations where they later regret what they have said. But author Kevin Hall encourages us to ASPIRE for a greater meaning in our lives through the use of language.

Seeking inspiration from his personal mentor Stephen Covey who has authored some of the best self-help "you can do it" books in the world today, Hall has matched the intensity and self-reflection every bit as much as Covey with this book. After reading it, you'll feel like a master wordsmith ready at any given moment to say just the right thing at just the right time. Taking life and making application with the word that fits best is why you NEED this book. You'll learn so much about yourself and the motivations that drive you to be who you are.

The chapters are constructed to communicate some basic concepts and terms that will become a major part of transforming your personal lexicon into where it needs to be. And while many businessmen will purchase this book looking for an edge in their leadership skills, Hall throws in some personal development material in the first five chapters to help people realize the changes really need to start with the individual. The final five chapters do indeed apply to leading others, but there's a deliberate middle chapter throw in between the personal and business...it's HUMILITY! Without the glue of this vital word and characteristic, there would be no sense in even trying to ASPIRE to do anything. You would not be respected by anyone which defeats the purpose of the changes you're trying to make by reading this book.

In my own life and career of helping to encourage, educate, and inspire people desiring to make dramatic changes in their weight and health, it is an enormous responsibility to be able to say the right thing for the specific question posed to me. Knowing that my response to a simple e-mail from someone I've never met could literally make or break what happens to them is humbling. I never want to take for granted the words I am entrusted with imparting on to others and Kevin Hall's book was a vivid reminder of this timeless message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob Proctor, October 22, 2010
Length:: 1:45 Mins

You have very likely seen me in "The Secret"--one of the biggest selling books of all-time. The movie took off like a rocket. Tens of millions of people have been impacted by it. I am reading a book "Aspire," that I guarantee you it's going to go like "The Secret."
Kevin Hall wrote this book. I had never met Kevin, but I phoned him and talked to him after I read his book. Listen to these words from his book, "When you maximize your talents, you are on path, on purpose, on target. When you don't, you're are off path, off purpose, off target." If you want to maximize your talents I guarantee you this book can help you do it.
I am surrounded by books ... I love books ... I've got nearly 3,000 books just on the shelves in my office. THIS BOOK IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE EVER READ. Go to Amazon and order this book today. In fact, you should order two and give one to a friend. Don't put it off. Go to Amazon right now and get "Aspire." It is a phenomenal book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone here..., January 28, 2010
Cat Feet (United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to say that Mr. Hall's Aspire is one of the most uplifting books I've read in a very long time. What's even more wonderful is the fact that he shares stories & thoughts that will inspire most if not all people who come across this little gem of a book. Regardless of your religious leanings or political persuasion you will find much to ponder upon regarding the true meaning and power of words. Like Mr. Hall, I have a fascination with words and language and yet I can truly see the appeal of this well written book to a diverse audience. Please note, the book is very attractive in and of itself. It's a very quality book with carefully chosen color & font(s) that make it more pleasurable to read. How I miss that in most of the books I come upon these days!
I don't think I'll ever be lending this book out as I'm too attached to it and want to keep it handy whenever I need an emotional/spiritual boost. Yet I do think it would make the perfect gift, especially to someone who is in need of encouragement or who is having a rough time. I also see it as the perfect gift for those who love to collect motivational books in general. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspirational Guide To Live By, January 31, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Aspire is a relatively short, easy to read inspirational guide for living. It can touch you on many levels. No matter where you are on your journey of self-discovery and self-growth, Aspire can speed up the process of moving you toward your goals.

The book is easy to read, very straightforward. The concepts presented in the book are built around the meaning of certain words. Kevin Hall uses a master of words mentor to help teach his philosophy of life. He also calls upon many of the great thinkers and self-discovery writers to help bring out his philosophy. You will find the ideas and words of James Allen (As a Man Thinketh), Og Mandino (The Greatest Salesman in the World), Viktor Frankl (Man's Search for Meaning) as well as Gandhi, Emerson and Mother Teresa, plus many others.

The book is full of heart warming and touching real life stories. You will feel better after reading this book.

Kevin has reduced his philosophy of life down to 11 words. These are very special words:

Genshai - never treat anyone small.

Pathfinder - a leader.

Namaste - used as a greeting, meaning saluting the divine within you.

Passion - pursuing what you are willing to suffer for.

Sapere Vedere - knowing how to see. All to often we fail to see things.

Humility - being coachable and teachable.

Inspire - breathing life into others

Empathy - waling the path of another

Coach - carrying another

Ollin - moving forward with all your heart

Integrity - whole and complete

Each word is a separate chapter. Kevin explains the origin of the word and gives living examples of how to live your life in accordance with the meaning of the each word.

Ollin is from the Aztecs. Of all the principles I find this is one most people fall short on. It is pronounced All In. And that is the way you should pursue your passion - Ollin - or all in. "When we decide on what we are willing to suffer for and what we are equally willing to act on, the world opens up." Most people are too tentative ... they never go Ollin.

There are many valuable lessons in this book. They are easy to understand. The value is not on learning the lesson, the value is a simple and direct course of action that Kevin puts forth. Take the action, live according to the word.

If you adopt the philosophy of life as outlined in this book, you will greatly improve your life in all respects.

I highly recommend you read and implement the way of live set forth. Practice Ollin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharing the "Master of Words", January 11, 2010
I am Arthur Watkins'daughter and several years ago our family started hearing stories about someone named Kevin Hall who kept visiting Dad. We wondered, who was this guy? Five years later I was with Dad when Kevin brought one of the first copies of "Aspire" to his apartment to show him. It hadn't even been bound yet, but Kevin was so excited and anxious that he couldn't wait for him to see it. It was a touching moment they shared as this dream was realized--a book about words! It has been rewarding for Dad to share his love of words with Kevin and then watch the project unfold.

I think Kevin does a great job in describing the personality and passion of my dad. From the time I was little I knew that my dad was a "master of words" and it's been fun to see someone else recognize that in him. At 93 he still keeps his dictionary right next to him to look up words that intrigue him. It's great to see my dad's vast knowledge shared in a way that can make a difference in people's lives. As his family we've always known how amazing our dad is, so now it's fun to share him with the rest of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Words, February 21, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book was written after the author's quest to uncover the secrets of words and what they originally meant when they first surfaced. The author writes: "It's like peeling an onion. By breaking down words layer by layer, by uncovering their pure meaning you tap into a force that will help you find your purpose and better lead your life." As this book progresses it moves from learning about words to learning from words. By knowing the true meanings of words we allow them to have a profound influence on our lives. With help from a retired linguistic professor Kevin Hall has written a very interesting book that helps readers see words as they never have before.
Example: the word "Coach" derives from the village of Kocs that produced the world's finest horse drawn vehicles. Originally crafted for aristocracy, coaches carried important people to their desired destinations in luxury and ease. Other forms of transportation adopted the term "coach" like stagecoach and railway coach. Surprisingly since the first coach was created the meaning has not changed it remains something, or someone, who carries a valued person from where they are to where they want to be. For me that really changes what a coach means to me, whether in sports or personal goals they are someone who takes you where you want to go.
The author does this with ten other words, and if you liked the example I believe you will really enjoy the book. Part self-help, part linguistic study I believe the reader will leave it and never look at words the same again.

Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words
Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words by Kevin Hall (Hardcover - January 5, 2010)
$24.99 $18.96