5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than people are giving it credit for
I will focus on the encyclopedia edition first and then comment on the game.

My encyclopedia edition came in the mail safely and undamaged with the normal retail version of the game, the hefty encyclopedia, and the graphic novel. If your edition was damaged from shipping I believe that is worth noting in a review but NOT worth taking off stars for...
Published 20 months ago by Matrixkurt

2.0 out of 5 stars not fun at all
Published 18 months ago by Michael Flynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than people are giving it credit for, November 17, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III Encyclopedia Edition -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I will focus on the encyclopedia edition first and then comment on the game.

Now, regarding the encyclopedia, it is gorgeous. It is a high quality hardcover edition with an exquisite dust cover. The binding seems to be solid so I do not anticipate the book wearing out from excessive use. Speaking of excessive use, the encyclopedia covers a lot, including summaries of events and characters. Spoilers are present so finish up AC 3 before gazing. There is also much high quality art. I would say approximately 40% of the book is art and 60% is wording. It is easy to look up a video of someone flipping through the pages online so consider doing that before investing. For me, as someone who ordered this edition to better understand my favorite storyline of any video game I have played, this was a real treat.

Next, the graphic novel: _Assassin's Creed Subject 4_. It is a combination of the AC comics series _The Fall_ and _The Chain_ which tell the story of Daniel Cross, an important character in the AC world. I was surprised at the quality of the book. It is soft cover, but the binding and the covering is very durable. Ubisoft did not spare any expense in producing these. I will say I am disappointed that Ubisoft did not include the original covers for each comic, but that is a small issue. Regarding the story, at first I thought that it was merely a way to make money by promoting a side story, but it is interesting in itself and it also covers some important information not available in the game series. In particular, knowledge of it will give you insider-knowledge in regards to a particular part in AC 3. ;)

Regarding the game itself, I do not see what all the hate about AC over the past few weeks has come from. I just finished it as I write this review and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Having played the entire series I can say that AC 3 is one of the best. The story, both past and present, was satisfying, and, of course, the ending is a cliffhanger (go figure). But does that mean another AC game?? Hopefully not for at least 2 years. Many have complained about bugs in the game: I experienced very few and none were game breaking or overly distracting. The graphics are delightful, a serious step up from Revelations. The music is fantastic and the voice work is exceptional. The gameplay has changed from previous AC games. For example, it took some time to get used to the "not holding A to run" and to press "B" to block. I was still not entirely comfortable by the end. There is plenty to do throughout the many locations, although I avoided the hunting, the minigames, and the investing, because they simply did not appeal to me. Surprisingly, I entered a shop only once in the entire game, purchased NO additional weapons than the ones I started with, and I had absolutely no trouble as a result of not "upgrading" my character.

The missions of AC 3 are mostly thrilling. Not perfect: there are too many chase missions, the full-sync bonus objectives often clog the screen and pressure you during a mission, and there are many surprisingly frustrating bits. You can participate in several historical events (ex: the midnight ride of Paul Revere) which is exciting for any history buff.

Here are my complaints about the game. First, I did not feel any obligation or desire to do any side missions. There are a lot of side missions. The controls were somewhat difficult to get used to. The game starts a bit slow (but it is worth it). Connor is a total jerk at times. The ending is one of the worst cliffhangers in the series. There are occasional bugs. Finally, and most significantly for me, who am very interested in the story, the events that happen in AC 3 feel a bit disjointed. I occasionally had trouble figuring out why I was doing this or why I was killing this person or why this was significant. Also, there are some jumps in the story that lead to a, how shall I say it. . . less than seamless story.

In the end, AC 3 may have been slightly rushed, but it is an exciting addition to the series and, as you will find out, is by no means The End. Be wary of people who give this game low reviews: look for their reasoning (hint, they are often whining about bugs or cliffhanger endings). The encyclopedia edition is for hardcore fans only. AC 3 is not exactly the game I was hoping for but I am still very pleased with it. Of course, you should also check out the most popular AC 3 review for the normal edition of the game. The person who gave it 3 stars has many good points to make. I agree with some points and disagree on others. Consider renting or purchasing cheap on Black Friday if you are wary about this game.

And remember, the unexamined life is not worth living.

EDIT: Update

I have had time to reflect on my experience in AC 3 and find myself agreeing more and more with people who were disappointed with it. The story AND gameplay was slightly lacking and the game could really have done with several extra months of development. I have settled on a score of approximately 8/10. That is not to say that this 5 star review is inaccurate. The encyclopedia has turned out to be very informative and pleasing to read. The graphic novel was also excellent, though I do not have a desire to read through it a second time. However, the price of AC 3 is decreasing, and you can purchase the encyclopedia for $40 on ubiworkshop (usually with added shipping of up to or approximately $10). Let me emphasize you renting this game before purchasing it. Even the most ardent AC fans (such as myself) have been -at least slightly- displeased with the overall product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, June 24, 2014
VtCwby07 "VTCwby07" (williamsburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Assasin's creed itself is a fantastic series and III is a great addition to the franchise. The Encyclopedia and included material is made of great quality materials and is very aesthetically appealing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game,, June 3, 2014
AC 3 is a great game. Connor is a likeable character although he is no Ezio ;) but seeing Revolutionary America is absolutely amazing. Ubisoft did a great job in this game. As a huge Assassin's Creed fan, I just wish they would be a little more clear with the "Present Day, and Truth" aspects. It is getting to the point that I am not sure even know what direction they are going in, and I have every Collector's Edition of the games, strategy guide's and Encyclopedia's for Assassin's Creed to try to make sense of this non-sense. Still, an amazing experience

5.0 out of 5 stars A great edition for Assassins Creed Veterans....., January 25, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This encyclopedia edition is one best edition yet. I like the fact that has all the information in the AC Universe. A recommended buy for everyone who wants to know more about the AC and to the Veterans of the saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word, AMAZING, January 2, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I think Encyclopedia Edition is the best edition I ever had in my life time. It came with two books comic book and encyclopedia. When you read about comic book then play game. The story line is easier to understand. It about Daniel Cross (Subject 4) about his life and his ancestor. The encyclopedia has really awesome illustrations and stories lines about different characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good continuation of story, January 1, 2013
Playability is good. Graphics are great.
I have to suspend playing it as I got to go back and finish the previous titles for the storyline.

1 star off only because Boston looks and feels soo dreary, like if the artists painted mud on the buildings to make them more so. The Frontier seems so much chipper. Big difference from the streets of Renaissance Italy. I can only hope New York feels livelier.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BUY FOR ANY AC FANATIC, December 5, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This encyclopedia edition is just GREAT! I remember when I got the firs Assassin's Creed, got it because the gameplay that I saw on youtube was just something entirely new. But when I got the game, the gameplay was the last thing on my mind. How the story line of this game gets you attatched to it is amazing! This is HISTORY with a little twist (a great one) that makes any gamer of any age wanna get more of it. The second one, Italy, Leonardo, Rome, Vatican city... WOW! Ubisoft got how we (the gamers) got attatched to Ezio and his travesy and the gave us Brotherhood and Revelations also killing tittles that will always be classic. Now They bring the story closer in time, but here! in America, making the game more interesting of knowing how assassins from different centuries connect and act for the same purpose.

Now, The Encyclopedia.
I got the first one and it was remarkable. Giving every detail of every key caracter and every move by Altair and Ezio. Now this one, the updated version including Assassins Creed III content is just amazing. Got it as a gift from my girlfriend (yes, I'm lucky) and is just something every AC fan should have, so much info from our 3 favorite Assassins and the ones between them makes it just the best AC experience.

Strongly Recommend

2.0 out of 5 stars not fun at all, January 18, 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I am a first gen gamer, 44 years old, played video games since Pong. I am also a first gen Dungeons And Dragons gamer. I qualify all of this to point out that I believe I am an expert in not just video games, but RPG's in general. I bought AC3 because I am a History buff and have not played any of the AC line and wanted to give it a try. The game blows. Period. In this day and age where there are literally dozens of titles available with large open worlds there is no place for such a linear game. Sure, you may argue that you can wander around and complete side missions; true, to a point. But there a very few clues as to where to go and what to do, and if you want to continue the story; you WILL walk on this line, and you WILL eavesdrop on THAT guy. If you fail, then do it again, and again. I gave this game several hours on 3 different nights until I finally realized, WTF, I could be playing Skyrim or Borderlands 2 instead of banging my head against wall with this title. The graphics ARE amazing, and the story is pretty neat too, so I give that 2 stars. But the gameplay is, well, unplayable. The controls are so completely counter-intuitive that it is beyond aggrivating. Why would ANY developer force gamers to completely change the way controllers have worked on nearly every title for the last few dozen years? In short, if you've never played an AC title, then just walk away. Walk away and dont look back, and dont feel bad about it. Bioshock Infinite is just around the corner! I would only recommend any AC title to someone who knows what they are in for and have not just played the titles, but mastered the stupid controls.

1.0 out of 5 stars How Much Fun is This Game: Unknown. This "Encyclopedia Edition's" Packaging/Bundle Rating: D-, November 5, 2012
UPDATE:
- Amazon has offered to give me an advance, or instant, refund (please read below for details regarding this). I just want to thank you for the offer, Amazon, and I do appreciate it. Although I had no true issue against your initial standard refund option, I do appreciate that you are attempting to make things right as fast as possible. It doesn't go unnoticed by me and I'm confident that this type of fast, quality customer service keeps many of us purchasing from you as opposed to the competition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pleas Note: This review encompasses only my review of this specific Encyclopedia Edition's bundle/packaging/collectible quality. THIS REVIEW DOES NOT ENCOMPASS, IN ANY WAY, THE GAME'S PLAY QUALITY OR NARRATIVE.

I'll keep this brief. This bundle consists of what seems to be a high-quality, hardcover book, a smaller softcover book, and a standard copy of the game --- all stacked on top of each other, in that order, and then encased in a thin layer of clear shrink-wrap. And ... that's it. From a marketing standpoint, this is the worst, official retail bundle that I've ever seen. The company grabbed the big book off of one shelf, the smaller book off of another shelf, and the game from another shelf, placed them on top of each other, sealed them with one chintzy piece of shrink-wrap, and then put it out for mass distribution.

What bothers me more, though, is Amazon.com's shipping method of such a "bundle" that has been marketed with no protective packaging. Mine arrived just sliding from side to side in bit-too-big box with no padding. Yeah, Amazon.com's standard air-pac padding solution was in the box but it seemed to have a serious problem -- none of the cells were ever inflated. I check for punctures, etc. But, yeah ... the air-pac padding simply was never inflated by Amazon.

So, my edition arrived tonight with a few tears in the bundle's cheap shrink-wrap and some pretty crushed-in corners on the expensive-looking hardcover book. At least UPS took care of the shipping box, though ... that was the only thing that arrived with no problems.

And, this doesn't qualify for Amazon's instant refund? Really? It's being returned, and I'm fine with the standard post-return refund, but what's the deal with not being able to provide and instant refund, Amazon?

Well, I guess I didn't keep this too brief. I apologize.

Skip this bundle.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, this is the only negative review/commentary I've ever had, whether it be verbal or oral, regarding Amazon.com.

Amazon, I hope this a one-time event. You've got a great thing going with your company and overall customer experience so I hope that all future shipments from you are as high quality as just about every other order I've placed with you throughout the years.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far too early - but it looks interesting - but NOT pro US!, November 11, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
We've enjoyed and played all of the games in the series. This package is a good value for the money. The extras are of high quality and as described and add some value to the product, enhance the playing experience, are educational, and will help round out the gamer experience for those who can't get enough. Gameplay so far is different but we are adapting to the slight changes and the storyline is interesting.

My only concern, as with all of these games, is playing loose with real history and making light of serious people, events, and places in an irreverent, sometimes disrespectful way. They've done this to other cultures and now the US gets the treatment; I don't think THAT element will be popular and please be around to tell your kids the founding fathers were not all lazy drunks and Americans were not the ignorant caricatures you see in the game. The multicultural disclaimer that displays as the game loads does not cover or excuse this; there are things that are absolute truths in this world, not everything is subjective, and all cultures are NOT equal - principles familiar to all Americans - but NOT the designers of these games.

This is a normal European perspective of us few Americans are aware of - perhaps this game will help enlighten our culture more about how the rest of the world sees us - but you really shouldn't screw with our history and disparage historical figures to suit a revisionist agenda. It's a game: even the pieces they 'take' from real history didn't always happen that way. It may sound egotistical and be hard for other cultures to agree, but the US has evolved and was founded on a unique set of principles, not seen in the world before or since - and that is what has made us great as a nation and as a people. Folks from the outside looking in don't get that, and don't understand the values we've fought and died for. The minutiae is done well;the broad strokes are a joke - ignore those if you know better, correct them to young gamers who don't - because it is important stuff, whether someone from another part of the world thinks so or not.

Assassin's Creed III Encyclopedia Edition -Xbox 360