Love the game, but do not love having to be connected to the Internet (and two different services) in order to play it. You must have both Steam and Uplay accounts and an Internet connection to play the game--which is a downside to this game for me.

Published 15 months ago by Jim5769

Published 19 months ago by Charles Jipping

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game - but requires an Internet connection and accounts at both Steam and Uplay to use, May 5, 2013
Jim5769 (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassins Creed III: Deluxe Edition [Online Game Code] (Software Download)

It has some of the best naval warfare sequences I've seen in a game, which is amazing considering it wasn't the game's primary focus.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good game but Deluxe Edition a waste of money - Buy the regular edition instead, December 21, 2012
First off, the game itself is what expected. It continues the story from the previous Assassin's Creed games and comes to a relatively satisfying conclusion (unlike some other games *cough* ME3 *cough*) I probably enjoyed the new hunting aspect a little more than necessary as I would from time to time stop worrying about any missions and just go off and hunt. The new aspect of building up a homestead, in place of renovating shops, was a nice change of pace and helped bring some life to what was happening in between missions away from the major revolutionary fighting.

For the most part, the voice acting is phenomenal. Sadly, the biggest holdout is the main character Connor. While he often sounds quite good and in the moment, too often it seems like the voice actor was simply given random lines without any context. For example, he runs to break up a fight and upon arrival asks "What's going on here?" completely deadpan and wooden. Might be a small thing, but it really took me out of the game often.

There were some small control issues, but honestly that was to be expected since I was using a mouse and keyboard. I had rented the game on PS3 before and had no such issues. As I said, that's to be expected especially using the keyboard.

The biggest issue is the horrible horrible Season Pass situation for which I purchased the Deluxe Edition. I though, "Awesome, I love the series and now I can get the DLC cheaper and earlier! Sign me up!" Too bad UbiSoft and Steam can't get their act together to make this functional whatsoever. (From everything I've read, it's more UbiSoft.) Not only did UbiSoft fail in releasing new DLC to Season Pass holders before it was released for retail, I still don't have access a week after the DLC was released publicly. I've been on forums galore and found that a large number of players who purchased editions that included Season Pass are having the same problems with no solutions forthcoming. I've tried every solution mentioned and all have failed. (I've seen that people who purchased the Season Pass separately are not having issues so go that route.)

Therefore, save your extra money. Don't purchase the Deluxe Edition if you're looking for the DLC. Buy the regular edition and save yourself the grief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, November 22, 2012
John (West Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Assassins Creed 3 is simply an awesome game on all counts, it hits many emotional buttons in its fantastic story line , making it one of the best out there since Skyrim.

Firstly I like to get the bad aspects out of the way. In the Assassins Creed series there is a user interface for the PC version that can be a real headache, for example. I like to call this aspect " Monkey Mode"
When Connor is in Boston and he is trying to escape the British lets say by running down the street instead of running out of the way you climb a barrel or the side of the building and get jammed there are stuck there and in of course either get killed or beat up, this feature can get extremely frustrating and annoying in many circumstances where all you want Connor to do is to run instead of climbing like a monkey on every tree branch barrel or building. I also find the weapons interface to be buggy, you have Connor choose the darts and instead of using the darts his hands end up being empty so now he is fighting with his fists against a fully armed British Army using bayonet swords and muskets, this is well can be extremely frustrating and absurd. I wish that the people working on Assassins Creed would consider an extra step on the keyboard or mouse so that Connor is not constantly in monkey mode.

Now onto the really meaty stuff, Assassins Creed 3 is truly epic in its proportions with breath taking vistas, historically accurate maps, and even people speaking in an authentic Mohawk dialect.
Connor is taken on many steps in the story where his life interacts with the birth of the American Revolution and gives insight into some of the reasons for the uprising against British colonial rule.

Some of the interactive scenes include building your own naval ship, complete with cannons, guns and crew. You get to take the ship out into the harbor and are immediately tested for your naval skills. The horseback emulation also is quite well done compared say to Skyrim.
The dialogue and tasks and attention to detail in this game is beyond extreme, I cannot imagine the countless amount of hours in time invested into the development of this game to give us a completely immersive experience that is not only entertaining but also interesting on many many levels.
In closing I would say that as long as you don't get too frustrated with the user interface you have many many hours of fantastic gaming say nothing of the multiplayer section which I have not tried yet. The strength of this PC game is its storyline and stunning graphic representations right up to the authentic use of Mohawk and authentic non-cliché acting by the indigenous actors, it could've easily been done in a shabby way but was not.

This makes you realize the scope of this release and the enormous ambition of the team time Assassins Creed 3.

A few words about the so-called monkey mode, which is what I like to call it. There are some truly amazing aspects and feats of rockclimbing, building scaling right up to climbing to the top of the church or the top of a mast of a ship to get a full 360° panoramic view, I thought this was pure cinematic's in the previews but it turns out that is also in the game console as well. The ability for Connor to climb to the top of trees and buildings or rocks is both the strength and weakness of the user interface as I talked about at the beginning of this review.

I cannot recommend this game highly enough if you have a friend, family member, or someone that you know that really enjoys gaming and has a birthday coming soon I think it would not be a mistake to purchase this game as I think it would make a fantastic gift.

All around Assassins Creed 3 is one of the best PC games I have ever played in a long time, bravo to the team at Ubisoft.

Onen ghi wahi

5.0 out of 5 stars PC version is superior!!!, November 21, 2012
Amazon Customer (The moody midwest Neb) - See all my reviews
IF you are a multi-console owner and also have access to a gaming pc then the pc version in my opinion was worth the wait. Not the deepest options for customization but what you can alter (High rez textures, environment, anti A and shadows)really makes this game the superior version. Compared this to my neighbors version on 360 and the differences were easily seen. Frame rate, draw distance and texture's were all much smoother and made me very happy I was patient to wait for the pc version. No need to review the rest. It's another Assassins Creed in a new era with a new main character. We all know what we love and hate about the series and while some things were addressed others still remain that will irritate you but mostly I'm loving everything I have seen so far. I'll repeat what I stated before...

IF YOU HAVE A GAMING PC THIS IS THE VERSION TO GET!!!!!!!

Have fun in the Animus folks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Game is very fun, but I hate that you have to install Uplay under Steam (no spoilers), December 22, 2013
I purchased the Steam download. First, the game is very fun and if you enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2 then you won't be disappointed.

But, I have some complains for this product itself as sold on Amazon:

1) This game has a secondary software interface called Uplay (from Ubisoft) that runs under Steam. Uplay is a terrible poorly designed mess of a program that is confusing to use. Also, each time you run the game you may have to wait while both Uplay and Steam update (there are a LOT of updates).

2) Installing the DLC and add-on packages is REALLY confusing because Steam doesn't do it automatically. What you have to do is write down all of the activation codes for the add-ons that come with the download and then type them in inside the options screen in the Assassin's creed game itself (these are the menus that come up when you press the escape key during the game).

3) For the game in general, sometimes it's confusing figuring out how to do certain things. For example, learning how to tackle someone when chasing them as opposed to killing them. There are tutorials and on-screen tips for some things, but a lot of stuff & tricks you either have to figure out on your own or seek help on the internet. I think the game needed a lot more on-screen tips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, April 1, 2013
While definitely the buggiest game of the series it still had a lot of highlights and great moments. Definitely enjoyed naval battles and also enjoyed watching the homestead change over time, but the main story didn't really connect with me much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 1, 2014
Not bad, but not as good as others AC games

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, June 29, 2014
Meh, pretty good

3.0 out of 5 stars Just "eh", June 19, 2014
It is a decent game, but not as good as the previous ones. Not much is new about it aside from the naval battles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, May 31, 2014
I am adding this game to my AC collection. Can't wait to purchase Black Flag when it goes on sale. My only complaint is the additional layer of DRM from Ubi.

Rate and Discover Movies