5.0 out of 5 stars Epic
Assassins Creed 3 is simply an awesome game on all counts, it hits many emotional buttons in its fantastic story line , making it one of the best out there since Skyrim.

Published on November 22, 2012 by John

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing
Assassin's Creed 3 continues the downward spiral began by Revelations. Why don't I like it? Here's the list:

- Boring plot (unless you're into the revolutionary history but even then I doubt you will find it exciting),
Published 17 days ago by Piotr Pajerski

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, November 22, 2012
John (West Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassins Creed III: Deluxe Edition [Online Game Code] (Software Download)

Firstly I like to get the bad aspects out of the way. In the Assassins Creed series there is a user interface for the PC version that can be a real headache, for example. I like to call this aspect " Monkey Mode"
When Connor is in Boston and he is trying to escape the British lets say by running down the street instead of running out of the way you climb a barrel or the side of the building and get jammed there are stuck there and in of course either get killed or beat up, this feature can get extremely frustrating and annoying in many circumstances where all you want Connor to do is to run instead of climbing like a monkey on every tree branch barrel or building. I also find the weapons interface to be buggy, you have Connor choose the darts and instead of using the darts his hands end up being empty so now he is fighting with his fists against a fully armed British Army using bayonet swords and muskets, this is well can be extremely frustrating and absurd. I wish that the people working on Assassins Creed would consider an extra step on the keyboard or mouse so that Connor is not constantly in monkey mode.

Now onto the really meaty stuff, Assassins Creed 3 is truly epic in its proportions with breath taking vistas, historically accurate maps, and even people speaking in an authentic Mohawk dialect.
Connor is taken on many steps in the story where his life interacts with the birth of the American Revolution and gives insight into some of the reasons for the uprising against British colonial rule.

Some of the interactive scenes include building your own naval ship, complete with cannons, guns and crew. You get to take the ship out into the harbor and are immediately tested for your naval skills. The horseback emulation also is quite well done compared say to Skyrim.
The dialogue and tasks and attention to detail in this game is beyond extreme, I cannot imagine the countless amount of hours in time invested into the development of this game to give us a completely immersive experience that is not only entertaining but also interesting on many many levels.
In closing I would say that as long as you don't get too frustrated with the user interface you have many many hours of fantastic gaming say nothing of the multiplayer section which I have not tried yet. The strength of this PC game is its storyline and stunning graphic representations right up to the authentic use of Mohawk and authentic non-cliché acting by the indigenous actors, it could've easily been done in a shabby way but was not.

This makes you realize the scope of this release and the enormous ambition of the team time Assassins Creed 3.

A few words about the so-called monkey mode, which is what I like to call it. There are some truly amazing aspects and feats of rockclimbing, building scaling right up to climbing to the top of the church or the top of a mast of a ship to get a full 360° panoramic view, I thought this was pure cinematic's in the previews but it turns out that is also in the game console as well. The ability for Connor to climb to the top of trees and buildings or rocks is both the strength and weakness of the user interface as I talked about at the beginning of this review.

I cannot recommend this game highly enough if you have a friend, family member, or someone that you know that really enjoys gaming and has a birthday coming soon I think it would not be a mistake to purchase this game as I think it would make a fantastic gift.

All around Assassins Creed 3 is one of the best PC games I have ever played in a long time, bravo to the team at Ubisoft.

Onen ghi wahi

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game - but requires an Internet connection and accounts at both Steam and Uplay to use, May 5, 2013
Jim5769 (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
Love the game, but do not love having to be connected to the Internet (and two different services) in order to play it. You must have both Steam and Uplay accounts and an Internet connection to play the game--which is a downside to this game for me.

It has some of the best naval warfare sequences I've seen in a game, which is amazing considering it wasn't the game's primary focus.

5.0 out of 5 stars PC version is superior!!!, November 21, 2012
Amazon Customer (The moody midwest Neb) - See all my reviews
IF you are a multi-console owner and also have access to a gaming pc then the pc version in my opinion was worth the wait. Not the deepest options for customization but what you can alter (High rez textures, environment, anti A and shadows)really makes this game the superior version. Compared this to my neighbors version on 360 and the differences were easily seen. Frame rate, draw distance and texture's were all much smoother and made me very happy I was patient to wait for the pc version. No need to review the rest. It's another Assassins Creed in a new era with a new main character. We all know what we love and hate about the series and while some things were addressed others still remain that will irritate you but mostly I'm loving everything I have seen so far. I'll repeat what I stated before...

IF YOU HAVE A GAMING PC THIS IS THE VERSION TO GET!!!!!!!

Have fun in the Animus folks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Game is very fun, but I hate that you have to install Uplay under Steam (no spoilers), December 22, 2013
I purchased the Steam download. First, the game is very fun and if you enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2 then you won't be disappointed.

But, I have some complains for this product itself as sold on Amazon:

1) This game has a secondary software interface called Uplay (from Ubisoft) that runs under Steam. Uplay is a terrible poorly designed mess of a program that is confusing to use. Also, each time you run the game you may have to wait while both Uplay and Steam update (there are a LOT of updates).

2) Installing the DLC and add-on packages is REALLY confusing because Steam doesn't do it automatically. What you have to do is write down all of the activation codes for the add-ons that come with the download and then type them in inside the options screen in the Assassin's creed game itself (these are the menus that come up when you press the escape key during the game).

3) For the game in general, sometimes it's confusing figuring out how to do certain things. For example, learning how to tackle someone when chasing them as opposed to killing them. There are tutorials and on-screen tips for some things, but a lot of stuff & tricks you either have to figure out on your own or seek help on the internet. I think the game needed a lot more on-screen tips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, April 1, 2013
While definitely the buggiest game of the series it still had a lot of highlights and great moments. Definitely enjoyed naval battles and also enjoyed watching the homestead change over time, but the main story didn't really connect with me much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, December 7, 2014

- boring and meaningless characters and events (particularly if you're not American and don't realise that you're bumping into famous people every two steps).
- The game is extremely restrictive - you have to do exactly what it tells you or you fail instantly.
- It has excessive amount of cutscenes on top of cutscenes, with short, pointless walks between them.
- Bland, almost identical cities without memorable landmarks do not help at all.
- Dull main character with anger issues,
- Bland other characters with unclear motives.
- Uninteresting main villain.
- Only slightly more interesting almost-main-villain popping every now and then.
- Unskippable prologue that is interesting yet WAY TOO LONG (around 3 hours of gameplay!!!) and even a nice plot twist cannot save it.
- Then you are forced to play through a mandatory tutorial where you are a younger version of the protagonist and learn to use useless stuff that you will probably do your best toavoid later in the game because there is absolutely no point in doing it.
- The only thing that is remotely interesting is the sailing part, but even there the novelty wears off fast.
- The technical side is also quite bad - the game is badly optimised for PC. Playable, but sometimes just barely.

I really wanted to finish this game because I enjoyed the first few AC games (although Revelations was a struggle at times). Yet this one... Ugh.

To be completely honest, somewhere close to the third act of the game I gave up. I was still mildly interested in how it ends so I watched the cinematics on YouTube (and yeah, they were disappointing and anticlimactic, glad I didn't waste more time on the actual game!).

The plot doesn't really move the Assassin's vs Templar plot that much and there are no memorable moments whatsoever, with the exception of the above mentioned plot twist (once you get there - this is the pinnacle of the plot, it all goes downhill from there, so watch the rest on YT).

AVOID this game. SKIP this game. Move on to AC4 if you really want an AC game (playing it now - still not as good as AC2 or Brotherhood, but WAY better than this pile of steaming poo.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than the negative reviews claim -- an immersive open world and story definitely worth your time!, November 26, 2014
Mowalski (Lost in the valley of forgetfulness) - See all my reviews
I have no idea why people have been calling this a bad game and seem to abhor Connor's character nearly to the point of disgust. Maybe that's because I'm a newbie to the Assassin's Creed series and haven't played any of the games before this. However, despite a few flawed mechanics and small bugs, I've encountered none of the game-breaking glitches many seem to attest to. Yes, running up buildings can be frustrating during chase sequences, but unless you're a spastic chimpanzee, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. The claims of poor optimization also do not hold much water for me, as the game ran incredibly fine (no FPS drops in Boston) and using a keyboard was especially comfortable. Admittedly, I did have to lower resolution in order to have the game run at its fastest, but the graphics are still breathtaking and I'm never really one to complain in that department.

Being entirely new to this franchise did not much affect my interest in the story and its characters. I was quite easily caught up to speed by the information the game provided, as well as reading around the web here and there. I loved starting out as the charismatic Haytham, but just as equally enjoyed my role as his stoic son, Connor. The modern day segments with Desmond were decent, but I was far more interested in Connor's story and Desmond's sometimes disrupted the immersion. Are the cutscenes as excessive as many claim? As someone who's played quite a few games that require reading walls of text, the cutscenes here were a cakewalk for me and I happened to very much enjoy the exposition they provided. Yes, the introduction was long, but well worth the wait once the game unleashed you upon its open world. And yes, missions are pretty linear, but I like how this prevented you from distractions -- and there are aplenty. My only real gripe with the game is that many of the optional objectives presented in each mission are next to impossible, and seeing a red X at the end of a sequence can be disheartening. Combat felt cluttered/stilted at times and relied too much on counters, but as my skill improved, it became a much smoother and more enjoyable process -- with combo takedowns and kill animations providing some decent satisfaction.

Overall, being placed right in the center of important events in the American Revolution that one might have read about in elementary, coupled with an enormous amount of side missions to complete and objects to collect after the campaign, made this an experience well worth the money. Not to mention the exceptional multiplayer and "King Washington" DLC. Taking on the role of a Native American "Assassin" and beating the crap out of redcoats/colonists, all while the story unveiled itself, was immensely entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 1, 2014
Not bad, but not as good as others AC games

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, June 29, 2014
Meh, pretty good

3.0 out of 5 stars Just "eh", June 19, 2014
It is a decent game, but not as good as the previous ones. Not much is new about it aside from the naval battles.