Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Format: Video GameChange

on November 1, 2013
Open world adventure is the genre of games I've always played since I was a kid when The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker came out. However, since then, no open world game has given me as much of a craving to be free and explore as the Windwaker...
until now...

Assassin's Creed IV is an open world pirate/assassin game that lets you seamlessly sail a gigantic Caribbean Sea with tons of stuff to do. This world has Cuba as its centerpiece, but then it stretches to Florida and the Bahamas in the North, Jamaica in the South, and Haiti in the East. This world covering most of the Greater Antilles has plenty of smaller islands in between to explore with endless possibilities.
Combat on land is better than ever, as it lets players choose between fighting in face to face pirate duels or using stealthy assassin skills. Naval battles are addicting and rewarding.

The Wii U Version is absolutely gorgeous! The gamepad helps as a useful map that indicates chests, collectibles, enemies, and locations. This game also has off-TV support! The graphics are superior to Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, and I personally think it's a better version to have than PS4 and XBOX One. It frustrates me how people overlook the Wii U and treat this version like it doesn't exist. The only thing that's more advanced in the PS4/XBone versions are the fact that plants, weather, and ocean waves move more realistically. I could care less about such minor, pointless effects added to an already great game, and I find myself using the gamepad map quite often. So, I'm glad I'm someone who avoided the popular opinion and bought the Wii U version.

Assassin's Creed IV is a treasure to have because there really aren't many pirate games out there. I haven't felt this much adventurous freedom in a game since The Windwaker, and I know that even after I complete the game's excellent storyline, I'll still be playing this game for years to come.
1111 comments98 of 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2013
One of the best games I have played on Wii U! I just beat the game and I wasn't expecting it to be so fun! It's only my second Assassin's Creed game I have played alot of (AC3). The Story of a man who runs away from his wife to sail the seas as a pirate, stumbling across a Templar and killing him to assume his identity. Shortly after he is thrust into the middle of a ages long struggle between Templars and Assassins and sides with the Assassins but never fully accepts them. You get to sail along side some of the most feared pirate captains of the era including Blackbeard. It might not have the water effects of the PS4 or XBone versions but to me the ability to play on the gamepad by itself is more than worth getting it on Wii U! Get it on here to show companies like Ubisoft that there is a Wii U audience for great games like this!
0Comment29 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2013
This is a beautiful game. I haven't played much, but it looks and plays fantastic on the WiiU with both the gamepad and the pro controller. My favorite parts of ACIII were the naval battles and that is right where you start in this new adventure.

There is one thing though, if you have your WiiU settings on surround sound, the voices may not come through on the cinematic scenes. It's strange, but if you go into your settings and switch it to stereo, everything works. I have surround sound, and hopefully there is a patch soon as I've read that similar issues have been happening on the other systems as well.
33 comments23 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2013
Great game with a couple benefits specific to the Wii U. Being a pirate in this game's vast open world is a complete and long-lasting blast. The best thing about the Wii U version (aside from superior graphics over ps3/360) is the ability to throw all of the HUD information (health, minimap etc) to the gamepad, freeing up more screen-space through which to admire Black Flag's glorious rendition of the Caribbean. Also features extensive multiplayer features with many game modes including co-op.

However, I don't know if Ubisoft has plans to support the Wii U version with DLC content. I hope they do. More people buying the game would encourage support, though, so give this game a shot, you won't be disappointed.
0Comment16 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2013
Wii U version seems to look better than my friend's 360 version, and I've never had any problems with slowdown or anything. As for the gamepad features: I wish you could set waypoints on the gamepad map but the functionality it has is good enough. It's especially nice being able to access treasure maps so easily.

The game itself is very fun, mostly AC standard gameplay... but the naval combat achieves something almost magical in its cinematic quality drama. Nothing like unleashing a broadside in a storm while a wind funnel edges ever closer.
0Comment15 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2013
the game is very entertaining, most of the missions are very cool, have a good dificult level, the graphics are amazing, the only thing about the graphics is the water effect when you're swimming.

some web says that the game have some frame rate drops, but i haven't see nothing like that.

my game load fast, it is smooth, good (and different) multiplayer (online) and good quantity of players.
on November 11, 2013
This game is one of the best in the series and so much better than part 3. The graphics and control are awesome on the Wii U. There is so much to do in the world they've created that you find yourself getting side tracked from the main story a lot. Buy it and you won't regret it.
11 comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2013
This game is great. So much content and Ubisoft did a great job by not doing just a mediocre port and put some work because the graphics are really good. I compare them with the PS4 and X Box One and there are very similar. The Wii U version looks way better than the PS3 and 360, that is for sure. The story is really good and is before the last Assassins Creed game but ties perfectly. The water battles are better than AC 3. I recomend this game to anyone. Try it!!!
on November 12, 2013
I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since the first one and now I'm wondering what I've been missing. This game is great fun and the Wii U only adds to that. The frame rate is very high and consistent which is great for this type of game and it looks very pretty as well. I was able to put my entire mini map on my game pad and then you have touch controls for it on the screen. I've been really impressed with this title and I can't wait to get it online. Thanks Ubi.
0Comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2014
What a fantastic game Ubi ended up with here. ACIII was a good game in my opinion. But, it was held down in some ways by featuring a lackluster protagonist in Conner when compared to his predecessor in Ezio. ACIV rectifies that greatly with Edward. Edward is fun to play as, has a great personality, and fits his role perfectly. One of the biggest pluses is that the naval battles (one of the highest points of ACIII) are back in Black Flag and even more plentiful. The Wii U specifically, once again, has the advantages of the Gamepad. Always having a full map readily available, not having to go into a separate menu, is a big plus for me. Also, like in ACIII, I enjoy watching the cutscenes on the Gamepad when they happen then looking back to the TV for gameplay. Visually, it's a step up from the X360/PS3 versions, but not as good at smaller details like PS4/XBO in areas like water effects and plants.

Of course one of the biggest things in this game's favor is...You get to be a pirate! It's almost baffling to see that no other big AAA games have really gone down this road before. It is so much fun just taking a break at times and sailing the ocean. Listening to your crew singing their shanties is so much fun. Then, being able to customize your ship is a huge win. Obviously, the more you progress the better you can make your ship, thus the bigger the battles you can get into and get bigger loot and more equipment for upgrades and such. One complaint I will give about the game, and this is just me, is that they went with the first person perspective during the "present day" sections. Getting rid of the character to identify with during those sections like you had previously with Desmond. Not a big deal, just something I wasn't a fan of. But, other than that, it's really nothing I came across that I find I can complain about.

Overall, this is a fantastic game. Even though, I enjoy all the games in this series, this is the best installment since ACII, which is my favorite of the entire series. But, now that i've finished this, ACII may be knocked to second place. If you're a fan of Assassin's Creed this is a game you should absolutely pick up. If you've ever wanted to live out the life of a pirate in a big open world environment you should absolutely pick this up. Great job by Ubisoft.

...Now if they can just give us that Assassin's Creed game set in Japan we'll be all set :-)