Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Video Game|Change
Price:$490.59+ Free shipping

VINE VOICEon November 15, 2007
I was a little skeptical this game would live up to the hype. Then some diminished reviews came around and I was already feeling a let down. Where could they go wrong? Was my thoughts. Well that didn't stop me from purchasing this game. After 30 minutes I was blown away. All skepticism was gone and I was in Gamer Heaven.

Let me start off from the beginning. Yes there is a plot twist and it's pretty bizarre. Just think that your watching a Michael Crichton movie and it will make sense. Playing in the Middle East several hundred years ago is a different idea. It's hard to say what you could expect with this concept.

So what makes this game amazing. Lets start off with the landscape. It's brilliant and beautiful...Really majestic. You don't understand the scope of this game until you start playing. The world is surrounded by several small villages and three large cities. The only way to travese this open terrain with a horse. Fortunately they are about as easy to find as a car in todays society.

What also sets this game apart is the ability to do what you want when you want. There is no clock on you and your not stuck going into a mission. Everything is open based. The character is amazingly fun to control you can scale tall buildings and make amazing leaps of faith. Climbing up a building that is several stories and then leaping to certain doom is breathtaking excitement. This is what games should be about.

Beyond that is a mission based game. Similiar to Grand Theft Auto in style. You can accept simple missions like pickpocketing and protecting citizens to the more main based assasin missions. You can battle soldiers if you want as you have many enemies but it's not really advised. Following the assasin missions can be complex and involve several steps that make the story very intresting. Obviously a lot of time was put into making this top notch.

For anyone who likes open based games with large environments then Assassins Creed is for you. From the majestic peaks to the clustered cities. This is trully a next gen experience. The storyline and incentive program will keep you playing for many hours. Definately a worthwhile gameplay experience. If you want something to keep you busy that doesn't involve guns go out and get Assasins Creed.
on December 13, 2012
You can find so many reviews for this game all over the place, so I'll just review this as the limited edition packaged version.

First off, the Connor statuette, the biggest selling point for the limited edition, is rendered in fabulous detail. It would have been nice to get a version with his hood down since most commercial statues and toys all have the hood up, but that's just my personal opinion. His weapons and hidden blades are also artfully crafted, and while they appear delicate they are actually quite strong. This is a fantastic addition to any toy/statue collection, especially for AC fans.

Washington's Journal was a last minute entry to the Limited Edition and you can tell. It's smaller than I thought it would be, but the worst thing about it is that the pages aren't fully cut. When you open this make sure to have a razor on hand to separate the pages. However, the content inside makes this a nice complimentary piece to the Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia found on ubiworkshop.com.

The revolutionary Flag, also a major selling point to this edition, is not as "authentic" in appearance as the version sold on ubiworkshop.com. It's thick polyester with jagged seams and uneven stripes, but the colors are also very garish so it doesn't have the "authentic" look as period item should. It would have been nice to get in more natural colors instead of this bright shiny modern polyester. The uneven stripes and the "Made in China" tag might also be a bit of a turnoff for anyone with more patriotic leanings. I had intended to use it as a costuming prop so my opinion is probably harsher than most on this particular item.

The AC belt buckle is fantastic quality, with a nice brushed nickel finish and sturdy hardware for actual use. It's not available separately at ubiworkshop.com which only offers really over-the-top AC belt buckles, so this item is a must have for a hardcore fan.

The Playstation exclusive in-game items vary from vendor to vendor so I'll skip over those as I'm sure plenty of reviewers have covered them already.

Overall, I'd say the limited version was "okay." I personally couldn't use the two items I was looking forward to most (the flag and the buckle--the buckle being much too large for a petite woman like myself) but the statue is phenomenal and George Washington's journal is a fun piece for researching background AC lore. Overall the polish was disappointing (poor construction of the flag, and George Washington's journal still needing to be cut!) which is ultimately why I gave it a 3 instead of a 4.
on November 7, 2012
I bought this limited Edition because I love everything about the assassin's Creed series. First I will address what I loved about this edition:

1. The buckle is very thick and very real. at first I was afraid it would be some cheap looking plastic toy but it isn't. I can't wait to wear it.
2. The Flag is large and beautiful...I just wish it was cloth instead of vinyl or polyester.
Update note: ThinkGeek.com has a better flag on sale for $49.00. It's larger and 100% cotton. I now sort of feel cheated buying this edition for over 100 bucks and not even get the best flag they had.
3. The Connor statue is very detailed. Even has some blood splatter. A great edition to add to your cabinet.
4. The journal is very well made and the drawings are wonderful. It looks like a real journal. I wish the cover was leather or something but other than that, very well done.

Now for what I didn't like:

The game itself is boring. First of all the story doesn't even pick up until Sequence 6...although IMO it's really Sequence 7. Recruiting assassins is a huge pain and they're worthless overall. So all the trouble you have to go through just to get them seems pointless. I do like that these assassins have a personality but overall I don't care about them as much as I did my assassins in Brotherhood and Revelations. They can't even die and in *most* cases you can't even call them for aid. What I loved about recruiting assassins in the other games was color coding them into teams, building them up through their missions, thinking about which missions would be the best to send them on without getting them killed, I also loved having the ceremony. I do like having assassins with different skills in this game but they took away everything else that made recruiting them enjoyable so I just stopped.
Update note: Don't expect any assassin ceremonies or anything involving the assassin's creed anywhere in this game. The words were somehow forgotten by Connor's mentor. Very sad.

Connor is unlikeable for the most part. He seems to be quite hypocritical and seems to be on an emo "me me ME ME ME!!" trip. After a while I wanted to play Haytham for the rest of the game instead of him. He just seems very one note IMO. Haytham actually had personality, a purpose, and goal. I won't spoil you but he seemed to make more sense and actually had something well thought out other than "I go here and kill this person"...like Connor. Most of the missions sucked and was basically you running around fetching things, killing people, and delivering news. I miss the purpose behind the assassin order that existed int he other games, it just seems to be lost in this one. The map is large but navigating it is a pain. In AC2, when you fast travel you were taken into the next area. In AC3 when you use the map to fast travel you get a loading screen that takes you to the "gates" of the area you want to go in, then another loading screen to get there. It gets annoying.

The sea battles were great and I loved sailing! But it does get old after a while as you hit the invisible wall often. The the bugs and glitches can be a blessing or pain depending. I've had missions where I failed for no reason, disappearing weapons during a fight, lost my tomahawk while climbing up a wall and actually found it laying on the ground. You can get stuck in walls, fall into oblivion et al. Sometimes the AI will just stand there and let you kill them.

I doubt this is a glitch or bug but pickpocketing the NPCs is easy because they pretty much just stand there and look at you while you do it. In the other games people seemed to actually care about...I don't know...a thief taking their hard earned money. Speaking of thieves...I believe there is a guild but I haven't seen one and I have no clue where to look as not everything shows up on the map. Also where are the prostitutes et al? It just seems like these are other aspects of the past games that I liked that is missing from this game.

The game however, looks beautiful, the graphics are great. But I don't buy games because of good graphics, I buy them because I want to enjoy myself and have fun and well I just didn't with this game.
on November 12, 2012
I've been an AC fan since AC 2.... Although I really enjoyed playing AC 1, the ending really lacks explanations... I didn't even know, at first the game was over..... Enough nostalgia..... Let's talk about AC 3:

I've installed the game, did the update procedure, redeemed both the Uplay and promotional codes... Everything went smooth and easy.

The series speaks for itself.... The gameplay is very similar to the previews titles and there are some minor changes that only add to the experience... Personally I didn't like the tomahawk very much, but its only my personal opinion.... I'm much of a sword fan..... The picture is amazingly sharp at 1080p, the stereoscopic is really great, but my eyes get more tired when playing 3d stereo games than when watching 3d blu-ray discs. The sound score is awesome! I really love all the AC soundtracks....

The packaging:
The box itself is a collectible item.... It's as big as a shoe box, with great prints and graphics....
The items were securely placed inside the box and the statue was in its blister, avoiding damage. The statue is really well-made, with great details and colors. It even has some spilled blood... The guns can be removed and although I didn't try, they seem to be able to fit on the characters hand. The cape is made of some sort of rubber, making it more resistant and less likely to break. The only bad thing is that the flag that came with the statue fits loosely on the rock and hangs to the left side of the character. There's no way I can leave it turned to the right side, ate the back of the assassin. Overall, it's a great statue.... Very similar to those Sideshow Collectibles...
The flag (real flag) is not cotton-made as I would expect it to be. The colors are great though.
The belt buckle is metal-made, and looks fine, although I don't really think I'm ever gonna wear that...
The included journal is really great and looks like a real journal. As other users mentioned, the covers should really be leather-made, not paper. There were some pages that were not separated from each other. Nothing that a sharp knife wouldn't fix.... But I happened to cut one page I shouldn't. My bad....

Despite the minor flaws, I would rate this AC edition 5/5.... I loved it so much I will definitely only buy special editions of my favorite games (as often as I can afford them....) it's a little pricy, but I think it's worth it.

It's a great addition to any AC series fan. I definitely recommend it. Trust me, buy it or you'll regret it!
on December 25, 2015
Ubisoft takes the Desmond story to a climactic pinnacle as he races to unravel the secrets of a Precursor temple and the answer to saving the earth from another catastrophic solar flare. It makes for an interesting story if you enjoy the Precursor/modern day connections because there is plenty of exposition to be had between trips in the Animus.

That said, I think you have to really love the era to get the full experience from the game. While certain aspects like the hostile takedowns and no-medicine-health-regen provide enjoyable combat scenarios, there seems to be little else to our main character. Connor's story comes across as repetitive and distracting from the action that you want to experience in the midst of the Revolution. Moreover, because he is a man of few words, there is precious little "character" in this character which makes it hard to empathize or even really care much for his narrative.
on November 16, 2012
Assassin's Creed III may be the third main title in the Assassin's Creed series, but it is the fifth over all, that of course is not including any of the handheld games. Ubisoft has done a good job of stripping away some of the unnecessary fat that was starting to thicken up the series in game play and mechanics, but also leave the game with some new stuff to try and make Assassin's Creed III a little different than what we have been playing the last few years. The downside of this comes with much more bugs and glitches in the game as a whole, more than any of the other games in the series have had altogether. Ubisoft said a small team was developing this title ever sense they finished up the second game while other teams worked on Brotherhood and Revelations and once those were done they all came together to finish three. I can not believe that at all with some of the problems this game has.

Assassin's Creed III, just like all the other games takes the story to a time in our history that no other games ever tread upon and it does a remarkable job of making it fun to play in and tells a relatively well crafted story. The ambition that Ubisoft puts forth in overcoming the challenges for game play and mechanics in this series is defiantly impressive to say the least. This time around the game takes players to the American Revolutionary War as you see some of America's earliest and most historical events through the eyes of the once again upstart assassin's guild.

The modern day world is the backdrop to the series, although everything that Desmond is learning within the animus from his ancestors is to save the world. A lot of the end game of the past Assassin's Creed games have done nothing but add more questions to the story as a whole in the modern day in the series. Finally after all this time there was a lot of closer to Desmond and the fight between the modern day assassins and Templars. In addition the whole saving the world aspect that was sprinkled in during modern day missions after the second game has also been tied up. All of this however feels like it was quickly slapped together and shoehorned into the game. Maybe it is because answers to long lasting mysteries, like those that this series creates are never as satisfying as one likes to hope.

The modern day story with Desmond still takes a backseat in Assassin's Creed III much like it was with all the others, however there is much more done with Desmond this time around more than any of the other games. Revelations tried bring more out of Desmond's story, but failed miserable with horrible first-person platform puzzle levels. In Assassin's Creed III, Desmond has full on missions he must complete, albeit the reasoning is limited, but the fact that you get to take control of Desmond on missions that almost rival those of the regular missions we have come to love from all the games. It is about time you really get the feeling that Desmond is a true assassin. As he hides in crowds, climbs buildings and fights his way out of trouble with guards.

Assassin's Creed III serves up some daddy issues between Desmond and his father, which at the start is quite annoying, but mixing that with everything going on for Desmond it starts to get its hooks into you as they learn to band together while facing their differences. It also makes there feel like more of a connection between Desmond and the real star of this game, Connor Kenway. He was born of an English man and a Native American woman. He and his tribe live in the Northeast of America during the Revolutionary War. Connor has been caught in the middle of a lot in his years as a young adult, between the assassins and Templars and that of his native people and the European colonists. Connor is quickly thrown in after his first taste of knowledge of the apple and he never looks back as he learns to become an assassin. His unwavering honor for justice and for protecting his people is what makes him such a great character has he has the Revolutionary War pushed upon him.

American history always glorified the founding fathers of our nation, but of course the Revolutionary War was like that of any war, which was full of compromises to bad situations at best. Assassin's Creed III lays some of that out for us, which humanizes some of the icons that we as Americans have looked up to our entire lives. It is an interesting way to look at how the war went at the same time really draws you into the game. Historical moments have always been a huge part of the Assassin's Creed games, but in Assassin's Creed III Connor's story is neatly tied into the actual war itself in ways that the series has rarely approached. Not only are you witnessing historical events like The Boston Tea Party, but Connor actually takes action in all of them. It works well for the most part, but then there are other times such as Connor riding the horse that Paul Revere rode to warn people that the British were coming, situations like that felt shoehorned in, as if Paul Revere was too incompetent to do it on his own. It would have been better to follow along behind him and have to take out any redcoats along the way.

The geography of Assassin's Creed III is very important to mention here. The series spent the majority of its time in eras and places with large buildings, but Assassin's Creed III look a large step back and that weighed on a lot of peoples mind leading up to the games release. Many people were unsure if climbing and rooftop running would be as fun in cities like Boston and New York in the mid 1700's with so many low standing buildings and they had the same fear about the tree top running in the open wilderness between cities. It has been a long time since the very first game, but there were some areas in that game that had no tall buildings and in the open areas of the first game between cities hardly had anything at all to climb and that worked out just fine. So it is no real surprise that free running through the towns in Assassin's Creed III works great and is still a lot of fun. Also the treetop running in the wild is a blast too. Going from tree branch to tree branch is very fluid and works without any hassle. It would have been nice to be able to use more trees in the cities as well while free running.

Over the past few games Ubisoft has added a lot of things to do on the side, some might say to the point of over stuffing the player with content, much like some of the issues with Revelations. However in Assassin's Creed III Ubisoft has take out some of the extra and streamline other content. There is still plenty to do on the side in the third game, although some of it doesn't feel as fulfilling. There are some liberation missions that you can start up and when you get into these situations they are usually very easy and quick to get through making them feel almost nonexistent. The game does offer some side missions you can do to buildup the homestead, which is the land Connor lives on. Doing these missions will have these people come stay on your land and you can use their goods for things you need or to be able to make things. It is a different approach to the whole banking thing and building up workshops in the last couple of Assassin's Creed games. It works well and makes the homestead feel cozy when running around hunting animals and being able to stop and talk to these people for more than just to get something out of them. Most of the disconnect from the side missions is brought on by the newer version of fast travel system. A lot of areas you can simply jump from where ever you are to the edge of the city and into the next area, were as the fast travel system of the last couple games you had to find tunnels which made the things available to do around the areas more accessible while running around.

This is the third straight Assassin's Creed game to offer a unique multiplayer and Ubisoft continues to build onto the multiplayer in each iteration. When the multiplayer was first brought to the players in Brotherhood I quickly fell in love with it. It was something completely different and refreshing from anything else out there. Now even though the main concept of the multiplayer has not changed, Ubisoft has added in many things to try to keep players playing online. Now I hardly touched the multiplayer in Revelations, so some of this might have been added in that game. You can customize your favorite characters in many different ways, such as clothing, colors and weapon type. There is even a new sound cues for when you have your target insight or when the person targeting you is closing in on you. There is also a new co-op structure to the multiplayer called "Wolf Pack". I have not yet played this mode, but it appears to be a wave based horde mode for you and your friends to assassinate bad guys.

Assassin's Creed III had big shoes to fill and it did a good job of it, ignoring many of the games glitches and bugs. They story was told very well, although it had a very slow start to it. The characters are well developed, the scenery is amazing and the idea of taking control of an assassin during the Revolutionary War was great. It may not be Assassin's Creed at its finest, Assassin's Creed III had some missteps throughout the game, but the characters, story and gameplay make it easy to turn a blind eye to a lot of it and the mechanics are successful enough for introducing some new game play elements.
on December 11, 2012
Not much to say that others havent. Kick ass 9 inch statue (yes it feels more like a statue then some rubbery action figure like Drake in uncharted 3's CE), awesome flag (that's already on my wall lol.... just wish it was cloth not polyester.... still looks great), great looking belt buckle I will definitely be having someone sew into one of my belts lol.... The G.W. Notebook is a great read (and yes there's hidden pages you cut open, but you dont' cut near the bound side, you cut where they connnect on the open side....... just be careful, some AREN'T connected they're just fold outs).

As for the game itself I havent' started it but I'll assume it's as good as everyone says..... and I've played every other AC game out there so I know I'll like it. XD Do yourself a favor and get this before you can't anymore. Oh, I got it for $99 new straight from amazon XD (maybe that'll force the price down to normal for some of you when sellers read this, i noticed i got the last $99 one....).

Oh and in case anyone wonders, this Limited Edition DOES in fact come with the 4 free Ben Franklin DLC missions. For some reason the pic of the bundle on here doesn't show it, but that red sticker saying it on the standard edition game cases (that are made before march '13 or something) is also on the front of the big box the Limited Edition comes with. Inside the manual it folds out to like 8 pages, and one page has the voucher for the DLC. There's also a multiplayer code through UPlay that gives you an exclusive MP character called Silent Shadow and MP bonus content (an emblem, patron picture, title, and XP boost). Also if you play AC III, you can unlock a exclusive mission and weapon for Liberation on the Vita. HOWEVER, there was nothing for that Captain Aquila and the boarding axe you can see in the bottom of the pic of the bundle on here. I'm assuming that was a pre order bonus.

Edit: I'm installng it now, and there is already an update to version 1.02. Here's hoping it fixes some or all the bugs people have mentioned in other reviews.

Edit 2: I just saw in the Store there's a new DLC called The Hidden Secrets Pack. It's the Lost Mayan DLC (that was a pre order bonus somewhere i believe) and maybe something else on the ocean (idk from the way it reads). 3 new missions. IT HAS the Captain Aquila skin I mentioned before as well as a coupe other skins, and beating the missions net you weapons, but it doesn't say what. The Boarding Axe might be one of them since the Aquila skin is in there.

Edit 3 12/26/12: Just started playing the game itself and I can tell you now that you do get the boarding axe (from that Hidden secrets DLC that is). When I started the game it popped up a ton of messages saying i got this extra or that extra, and i can use them at sequence 6. The Boarding axe was one of them.
on November 8, 2012
I have only gotten to play the game for a few hours but I really like it the new control configuration is taking some getting used to. Everytime I play I hit the wrong button for block and parry which is also different to counter you have to hit two buttons the block then attack which is okay just gets some getting used to. I had no idea we were going to be playing connor's Dad in the beginning as he wasn't advertised anywhere in the trailers or anywhere really he is a little slower as he is more reserved I really like the twist involved with Kenway (connor's father) would be cool if his twists were a part of the reasons for having a different control configuration. I am glad they finally put horses back into the game and i think it's cool that they put other animals into the game as well. the only thing i see that is a little weird about the game which is no big deal to me but i can see it being a big deal to those that like to complain is that animals and pedestrians can disapear sometimes once they end up for the lack of a better word in your peripheral and when you go to look they are really gone and when you eagle eye he seems to be floating and not standing on the platform i could live past it doesn't effect my fun lol oh also in the first episode on the ship the captains lips weren't moving during a cutscene but he was talking lol... I love the assassins creed series and how everything connects from game to game not very many games do that they come out with part 1,2,3 and you never start where you left off on assassins creed you always start right where you left off now if you remember playing the first assassins creed and you were left thinking what? how is that an ending? it was made better because when you played assassins creed 2 it started right where you left off. Now I have had friends who had started playing from brotherhood or revelations and they were like i can't get into it i was like you have to play the first two man once you understand the story you are hooked. I wouldn't suggest skipping brotherhood or revelation either even though this one is titled part 3 brotherhood and revelation at least on Desmond's part of the storyline are important. I personally hope to see this series getting to a point where you are playing as desmond in current times the whole game without him going into the Animus.

- Statue, Flag, Belt buckle and journal are awesome I really wanted the flag and the statue. I wasn't disapointed in my extra 50 dollars for this limited edition
on November 17, 2012
This game about the American Indian lead made me interested in AC. While waiting for the game, I've been playing AC2 and came to love the series. This collector edition has the Statue, and that is the only thing I really care about. The flag and booklet are nice, but the statue is the meat of it. It's great quality, and doesn't look cheap at all. If you happen to have the Infamous 2 statue, it blows it out the water with cooler, detail and size. Actually looking at them now, they look similar as in the stance. Anyway, I've been playing for about 3 hours and still haven't played the "lead" character. Not to worry, the game is still great, and don't look it up like I did or you'll regret it. I've been hearing about a lot of glitches. I've only encountered one major one, when someones mouth wasn't moving for a cut scene. Lets just say, I've been talking my time. Looking for every easter egg, and replaying ever mission until I get a full sync. If you only played AC2 like I did, this is new where every mission has a optional objective. If you do the optional objective you'll get full sync. If not, you can replay them later. I'm only assuming you'll get a trophy or something later. Anyway, the game is great, graphics are top notch. I love playing it, and it feels like a movie/living in the past. You really feel like you were them with them. No regrets and the statue is awesome!
on January 3, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed playing the game (for all probably 48+ hours it took me on the game and most side missions). This is a very nice expansion to a fun series that brings you not only into the Revolutionary Era of the Colonial US but also into present day to perform a few missions. If you have never played the series before you will be a little lost on the story as it assumes you have a basic knowledge of what's happened before (it brings up select dialog about previous games when you are in the present day), however this doesn't detract from the entertainment factor. The only annoying thing about the game is sometimes the rather frequent spawning of animals in the frontier. There were times all I wanted to do was find the feathers, treasures, or peg leg trinkets and a predator would attack. No problems, but then you would be next to a respawn point and get attacked once or twice more by respawned animals. Aside from that it was a game I highly recommend. And the special edition even comes with a figurine that is amazing. It's of very good quality and sits nicely on my dresser. If you have small children (or friends who like to pick up things you own) keep it out of their grasp. lol Not only that but the flag is pretty sweet as well as the belt buckle.

Overall recommendation: A very nice buy if you like collectibles. If you can do without then I suggest buying the game by itself.