Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Assess Higher-Order Thinking Skills in Your Classroom
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 21, 2012
I am not a teacher nor am I a student in the traditional meaning of these terms. I like to think that I'm simply a student of good ideas. And, for my money, this book is packed with ideas about thinking and more specifically, about higher-order thinking, that I find very insightful. Becoming aware of the nature of our habitual problem solving strategies is an invaluable way of improving them. Lower ordered thought processes are more simplistic and emotion driven and therefore have less validity than higher-order, analytic type reasoning. For basic problem solving we need to first identify the problem to be solved. Solving more complex problems requires we distinguish between alternatives, assessing each option and analyzing probable outcomes. Good judgement requires patience and practice. General reasoning skills whether by analogy or data driven, are just a few examples of higher-order thought processes. My favorite section is titled, "Common errors in logic" (p.67). Over generalization is a common example and relying on self promoting authorities, is another. Who among us could claim that, "Ah, yes, I have it all figured out", without relying on self reflection to clarify one's conclusions? This book was helpful to me as self-reflection and authenticity in my reasoning, aids in my originality and creativity. According to Brookhart these skills make us more human as well. She suggests that dealing with novel ideas, solving problems, and thinking critically are required and acquired skills for promoting healthier, more realistic overall mental alertness. Brookhart does a good job in exploring and encouraging student potential in these higher-order thinking areas.
on December 11, 2012
This book is ok. I don't like the way the author defines various concepts by describing actions, instead of the concept as a thing, but I guess that works for some. There are only a couple chapters that I actually find valuable. I moreso appreciate Ms. Brookhart's other book,"How to Give Effective Feedback to your Students".
on August 10, 2015
This book gave me several ideas to provide higher order thinking skills into my health classroom. The common assessment criteria for each area was great to help the reader have the"aha" moment as the author describes in the book.
on November 24, 2012
Great ideas for teachers! To me this is one of the hardest things I had to learn and still do not feel that I have conquered it as well as I should have by now.
on August 21, 2013
I was able to use some of the materials with my consultant work. I work with math teachers and have the correct vocabulary is helpful.
on December 23, 2012
I reviewed this book as a part of my MA in Education program. I was very pleased with the depth of insight as well as the broad range of specific and practical examples. There are numerous creative suggestions within the text for assessing critical thinking in a variety of subject areas and grade levels.

I would highly recommend this book to any educator.
on October 14, 2013
New common core and assessments, this is a great guide to make it happen in your classroom. I love it.
on March 5, 2015
I have learned so much from this book!!!
on June 22, 2015
Needed it for a class. A little contradictory. Useful information, but not always practical applications of things. I'm not a huge fan of teaching books anyway, so tend to not like them much.
on February 24, 2013
Some new techniques offered to assess higher-order thinking skills. I wish there were more reproducibles in this book. I found it dry to read, but it did provide useful information.