5.0 out of 5 stars It works great but don't overpay!
Asthmanefrin is a replacement to Primatene Mist. It works very quickly and is effective in treating my asthma attacks within seconds. Five stars for the product.

Sellers have begun taking advantage since it is only sold in Walmart and CVS stores. DO NOT OVERPAY FOR THIS PRODUCT ONLINE. I bought my starter kit for 40 dollars at CVS. The refill runs at about 25...
Published 22 months ago by Lady Sarah

2.0 out of 5 stars Effective, But Designed For Early Failure
This product may save your life one day. It is absolutely better than the severely limited options available to asthma sufferers. I use it fairly frequently, because it works at least 3 times better (in terms of rapidity of relief and overall efficacy) than the crippled prescription brand I have.

But this is not a satisfactory replacement for Primatene. It...
Published 17 months ago by JustaCustaMer

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Fragile, finicky, but the only game in town, March 1, 2013
Turtle (Somewhere in rural MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asthmanefrin Starter Kit (Health and Beauty)
UPDATE: I changed my review from three stars down to one. Why? see below.
============================================
UPDATE: here's why: I've gone back and forth with Nephron about this unit, and have now had a total of FOUR of them, and five medication cups.

Every single one of them failed. Worse, after knowing about the chronic clogging problem with the cups, they've neither changed the design nor come up with a procedure for cleaning an already-clogged cup. Trust me and hundreds of others... they WILL CLOG. ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED. Their cleaning instructions are toilet paper... you can follow them to the letter after every every every use, and yet within two or three weeks, the cup will output less than half its original output and a week later, it'll shut down entirely.

I am working on a DIY unclogging procedure, trying several different approaches including buying an ultrasonic cleaner. If I come up with something that works reliably to unclog these pieces of crap, I'll post it.

To their credit, Nephron also acknowledges a defective design of the battery door, and I believe they're working on redesigning it to be more robust. Two of mine broke off with almost no impact (falling off a car seat to the floor) and are held together with rubber bands. To their credit, Nephron has also been good about replacing clogged cups. They just haven't fixed them so they DON'T clog.

Until either Nephron or someone else comes up with a way to unclog these $25 cups, this review stays at one star and I'd sooner recommend you getting cheap offshore albuterol inhalers than strugglin with this badly-engineered thing.
================================================
Earlier review:

While I was one of the first purchasers of this unit when it hit the market last fall -- I bought my first one the day my last Primatene ran out -- I've waited to post a review here. I wanted to give it some time and get used to all its quirks.

It has many.

I'll side with those who say "the medication works, but the atomizer is a chunk of crap." It absolutely is. Notice I said "bought my FIRST one." Well, it's incredibly fragile. Both units suffered the same fate: the battery door on the bottom is so flimsy that any impact (even a fall from a car seat to a carpeted car floor) was enough to pile-drive the two AA batteries (included) through the door, breaking the hinge, because the tiny plastic hinge pins aren't as strong as the snap-clip latch. Thus, both units are now being held together with rubber bands.

And as many have pointed out, cleaning this thing is a finicky pain in the ass. A brand-new unit will impress you with the amount of mist it puts out, but within a week, regardless of how you clean it, it WILL clog, and it will NEVER, EVER AGAIN work as new. I've called support about this; they have no effective unclogging method for a unit in this state. They may offer to send you (or sell you, for $25) a new medication cup. I personally have found that blasting the face of the cup, including the mesh, with hot tap water can help a great deal.

The unit is also incredibly awkward. Top-heavy. It's fine as long as it's standing on its base, on a hard surface. The moment it gets inverted, even briefly, almost all the 0.5cc of medication will get dispersed all over that enormous 8cc medication cup, and you can't usually persuade it to go back, meaning it's wasted. When you're having an attack, the last thing you can or want to do is soak the thing, dry it, fill it, and then find it's clogged anyway and you get a pathetic dribble of mist instead of a nice cloud.

If you put the unit in a pocket, it will fall over. If you put it on a table, your child, your cat, or you WILL knock it over and either the medication will get lost or the batteries will fall out.

At CVS, these are typically $54.99 for a starter kit, and refills are typically $30 for 30 doses.

In short, the medication does work, when you can persuade this moronic device to actually dispense some.

That's enough for now. Have to call Nephron. They don't know it yet, but they're sending me two new units.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asthmanefrin vs Primatene, December 30, 2012
H. Glenn (FEMA Region X) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asthmanefrin Starter Kit (Health and Beauty)
As one of the Primatene ban victims I've been putting off trying Asthmanefrin partly out of bitterness and partly because I kept hearing it didn't work nearly as well as Primatene. Finally broke down and bought one though. Here's my experience after a few days of use:

- It takes maybe 15-20 seconds longer than Primatene before you notice it working.
- Once it does start working, it works better than Primatene at completely clearing up the lungs during bad attacks.
- Effects seem to last longer than Primatene.
- It makes me a lot more jittery than Primatene for about 15 minutes after use.
- It's not nearly as convenient or discreet as Primatene, especially in the car or in public.
- The nebulizer is much more durable than many reviews had led me to believe.
- Given the longer-lasting effect, price per month is about the same as Primatene after the initial nebulizer purchase.
- I haven't been able to breathe this deeply in years.

So, all told I am pretty happy with Asthmanefrin as an asthma treatment, if not overly impressed with its convenience. If Primatene were still available I would definitely still use it when I'm on the road or out in public, but I would probably use Asthmanefrin at home. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing now with the remainder of my Primatene stash. Asthmaneferin really does work, I unreservedly recommend it for those of you hurting without Primatene. I will continue to fight for Primatene to be restored regardless.

As mentioned in other reviews, for whatever reason this product is considerably cheaper in stores than online, especially refills. I found mine in Walmart on the bottom shelf of the cold medications for $51, the big refill pack was $24.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what I've been waiting for all my life!, December 15, 2012
This review is from: Asthmanefrin Starter Kit (Health and Beauty)
I have suffered from asthma from the age of two. I am now 61 and was hospitalized on Memorial day. Since then I have been on oral steriods, inhaled steriods, two types of rescue medication and Singulair. I caught a cold and of course that made everything worse. Last Saturday in the middle of a terrible asthma attack I had my wife pick up a starter kit. In one week I have used three vials ( I get two days out of one ) I have been short of breath twice, because I waited too long and haven't had one attack. I am off everything execpt this and the Singleair and will probably go off that in a week or so.
I don't have any trouble with carring the unit around. I keep the unit, and one vial in a little box that I keep in the console of my car or in a jacket pocket. When I need a puff I either pull the car over, take a little puff, wait about 2 minuets and carry on, or slip into a men's room and take a puff in a stall. It's so discreet that my wife asked if I was using it. It is strong, and I did take a little too much a couple of times and got a scratchy throat for a few minuets. If they came out with a new Primatene I would still use this. It's what I've been waiting for all my life. My biggest fear it that the doctors and drug companies will make them take it off the market because it works wo well.

3.0 out of 5 stars The medicine cup stops working, but I am using a substitute, February 22, 2014
This review is from: Asthmanefrin Starter Kit (Health and Beauty)
The medication is effective, but this atomizer clogs and stops working far too quickly. That can be a dangerous situation, so I started looking for a replacement.

I found a video review on YouTube for the Ultra Neb HL 100 nebulizer, and it looks almost identical to the one included in this kit, so I ordered one. True enough, there are only minor differences between the two. The medicine cups are interchangeable. The replacement medication chamber for the HL100 is $25 and will fit the Asthmanefrin inhaler. The unit itself looks the same, but has a port for an AC adapter and enters "cleaning mode" if you hold down the button for 10 seconds. The instructions tell you to run distilled water through in that mode after each use, so I hope that will keep this cup working far longer than the one included with the Asthmanefrin Starter Kit.

One caveat: I believe that nebulizers create mist particles of different sizes and volume, which can affect the way you absorb the medicine and how much you are inhaling. The Ultra Neb is currently producing much more mist than my Asthmanefrin one ever did. I only need 1 or 2 inhalations when using the Ultra Neb medication cup. It doesn't seem to matter which base unit it is attached to, it always produces a very strong mist.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's Bulky, Expensive and Fragile., November 16, 2013
T. C. Moore "T.C.Moore" (Elizabeth City, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asthmanefrin Starter Kit (Health and Beauty)
Inconvenient, expensive, bulky and fragile.

Solution dries and clogs delivery system, which takes a distilled water and white vinegar solution to clean.
Even though I cleaned mine as per instructions it would no longer nebulize the solution after light/medium usage
over 60 days.
And this after spending approx $55.00 for the starter and $30.00 for a refill pack.
Absolutely HATED this product. Even though the drug works, the expensive, complicated, fragile delivery system are such a detraction that I cannot recommend it and will not buy it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Primatene Mist way better., February 24, 2013
This review is from: Asthmanefrin Starter Kit (Health and Beauty)
Bring back Primatene Mist ! The only reason why they took it off the market was to boost profits of other inhalers and make you go to th doctor for a prescription.Nothing to do with the enviroment. Nothing at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Manufactured, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Asthmanefrin Starter Kit (Health and Beauty)
Unless you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND CLEAN IT EXACTLY AS WRITTEN...IT WILL BREAK. I am on my third one now and it's already starting to leak after 20 or so uses.The others didn't last more than 10 uses.Last I checked you can't buy replacement medication cups, so that's fifty dollars each time.Obviously the manufacturer is making a good profit on the desperation of people who can't breathe.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a hassle!, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Asthmanefrin Starter Kit (Health and Beauty)
Like others have said, the medicine works. Just take 2 or 3 puffs.... if the atomizer is working. But therein lies the rub. Keeping that clean is a project and if you need to use this even once per day, you'll end up using a vial a day and cleaning it everyday and then it will still end up not working. We got screwed by the government when they banned Primatene for CFCs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless piece of crap!, August 14, 2013
This review is from: Asthmanefrin Starter Kit (Health and Beauty)
I bought this out of desperation. I have asthma due to exercise & allergies & regularly fight attacks. This thing is absolutely ridiculous! Much of the medicine goes to waste because you can't possibly use it all in one sitting & if you leave it in the machine, it turns BLACK! TAR BLACK! & forget about trying to clean it out! I've followed the instructions to a T & the vapor stream that comes out of it diminishes in size the more I use it!
Who has time to open a tiny foil packet, twist off a plastic cap, fill a tiny reservoir with liquid, pop on a mouthpiece & struggle to breathe in this tiny stream of vapor in the midst of an asthma attack?!? I don't know who invented this thing but it certainly wasn't someone who has asthma or has experienced an attack!
The product worked for me for about fifteen to twenty minutes & then I'd have to use it again. The next day, it left my lungs feeling bruised (?) & itchy! My lungs never quite feel right afterward. I wish I hadn't spent $60.00 on it ( which is unacceptable in my opinion) & to make matters worse, the refills are $30! It's absurd! I loathe this product & am desperate for an inhaler but as I don't have insurance, I'll be looking for another alternative method.
This product would be worth the money if it only cost $15 or so but I WOULD NOT pay what they're asking for it! It's not worth it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product design, May 21, 2013
This review is from: Asthmanefrin Starter Kit (Health and Beauty)
This product is a terrible "replacement" for primatene mist. It is too difficult to maintain. It was badly researched and badly designed. It is the ultimate rip-off - too much money for something that people are desperate for, and that breaks easily, and that is expensive to replace. There's absolutely no need for the mechanism to be this sensitive to clogging. It wastes medicine, too. Finally, there's also gasket that seems to be dissolving right into the medicine - it turns black and leaks into the spray. Who knows what's in that, and you're inhaling it, too. I hope Congress reads these reviews!

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›