Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on December 27, 2012
Very short story with an unfinished ending. Writer is popular for books with some effort put into them. THis one they just published his notes. Not worth the effort.
on November 6, 2014
Really loved this story. Interesting gadgets and even better characters combine to keep you riveted throughout. The outcome was a bit predictable but still a great addition to the Ministries archive.
on May 14, 2013
My only complaint - It just wasn't enough...I want more! If you haven't read anything by Nathan Lowell, you are in for a treat. He is a great story teller!
on January 19, 2014
I really loved it. I believe it is part of a series of stories and it was really good. I enjoyed it.
on September 6, 2012
I thought that this book might be good for an evenings read but was sadly disappointed in it. The more I think about it, the more I think that I kept thinking that it was just too far out there for me. If other people like it, I would be interested to hear what they liked about the story line.
on August 9, 2015
not a bad story but not as good as his usual
on October 25, 2011
A somewhat predictable short read but the characters and quirkiness saved it. Nice work describing Africa - you could almost feel it - hard to do this in a short story.
on August 27, 2011
I first came across this short story in audio as part of the world building for Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel and I loved it.

A wonderful looked to the African adventure stories of the 50s and 60s while throughly steampunking it up. A story of an agent left too far away from mother England but to close to the gin. And our man from the sent from the ministry to get a job done.

If you want to have a quick read on your kindle app on the train home or anywhere really, this is a good one. Also a fine introduction for someone not yet familiar with steampunk or for an old friend of steam and cogs.
on August 28, 2011
As of this review, this story is on the short list of finalists for the Parsec Award for short fiction (a very competitive category this year). And I was one of the people to nominate it.

I don't want to spoil the story, but Nathan Lowell writing "Dark Continent" Steam Punk set in the "Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences" universe - winning combination! It really makes me wonder why there isn't more Steam Punk set in Africa.

You can't buy a soft drink ... or "hard" one either ... for the price of this short story. It is definitely worth giving this a try.
on September 29, 2011
If you are just starting into the world of The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences or have already read the novel, the 99 Penny Dreadfuls give an amazing insight into characters, events, and easter eggs dotted throughout the Books and Braun world. One of my favorite of the 99-penny dreadfuls, a steampunk agent stands beside one that choose not to advance. Which one makes it to the end?