Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on February 13, 2015
Only been using the inflator for a few weeks but it has performed at least as good if not better than the Matco or Blue-point versions that my co-workers use. Using the above mentioned tools is what provoked the purchase in the first place but paying $130 seemed like overkill after finding this on Amazon for over half off.

Many reviews I read before purchasing this suggest the battery installation being the biggest drawback but I would like to point out, just as a few others have on here, take the 30 seconds to read the instructions and battery installation takes 3 mins max.

Just wanted to highlight a few features I find to be the best. The first being the rugged rubber case. I have no worries of using this for 8+ hours, repeatedly picking up and setting down. The second sort of adds to the first, because it automatically shuts off after inactivity to save battery. Third is the inflate/deflate option allowing you to set all tires to the manufacturer specifications seamlessly whether they are higher or lower intially. Lastly, is the precision which if you have ever had to relearn TPMS this will come in vary handy with the variety in relearn procedures that some times call for deflating or inflating all tires to a certain PSI.

I would like to clarify this review pertains to the use in a shop where performing inspections on every car which include tire PSI be set to manufacturer specifications is part of the job. So I am confident in recommending this for anyone using it for this purpose or even just at home. If the battery installation is still leaving you hesitant, then you can just pay the additional $70 to have the Matco or Snap-on rep install them in their branded inflator for you.
on May 26, 2012
Nice, accurate inflator. Comes with one extra battery and no matter what anyone else said the battery installation took a whole 5 minutes. I just wish the rubber protection fit a bit better, but it will do the job.
on May 5, 2011
This tire gauge/inflator is better than Blue-Point (Snap-On). It reads to 0.1-PSI and I got it calibrated to check its accuracy...this gauge is accurate to 0.01-PSI! It was not off more than 0.01-PSI. I only had it calibrated to 80.0-PSI, but will read to 175.0-PSI. This gauge is very well made and tough and it has a nice feel. At half the price of a Blue-Point, it's worth four times that. If you want a tire inflator, this is the one to get.
44 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2012
I received my item yesterday. The unit arrived packaged great, brand new, no issues. I started to install a male fitting onto it and realized I needed to install the battery. The only issue I had was installing the battery. The directions did not state what size phillips head to use so I started with a typical #2, it ended up being to big, way too big and the screw actually ended up stripping. I know whoever will read this will probably say I should have looked at it, I did. But you cannot see what size the head is because the whole tool is wrapped in rubber for durability I guess. Just two little slots to stick the screw driver in. Anyways, take your time, and start with a smaller screw driver. I ended up replacing the screws to my size liking. Unit works great.
on October 8, 2015
Better than I thought it would be. It's bigger than it looks in the pictures. It is made from a medium to hard rubber material not plastic. The air chuck installed is actually one I was going to buy separately, stays on good. The trigger is a pretty heavy piece of stamped stainless. Accuracy seems to be balls on. About the only think I don't like, but can live with is that the pressure doesn't read up as you add air, you let go of the trigger it shows the pressure on the read out and you then adjust up or down, I can live with this.
review image review image review image review image review image
on January 23, 2012
I am a professional mechanic and this was by far the best tire gauge I've ever used--- till the battery died in less than a year.

My battery was difficult to replace following the instructions in the owner's manual.
Two screws need to be removed that you can't see and seem to have been installed with Loc-Tite or tightened by a gorilla on mine.
One screw broke the tip off a Snap-On #2 screwdriver, the other screw's head stripped out.

I gave it two stars only because it was a slow day and I was able to devote an hour to replacing the battery.
Otherwise I would have thrown the thing away and gave it one star.
I may have been tempted to buy a new gauge just like it though, it's a great gauge other than the battery.

My advice is to ignore the battery replacement instructions in the owners manual and instead remove the allan head screw (metric) in the back and push the entire gauge head out of the rubber. At least this way you can see the screws you need to remove.

Make sure to keep the owner's manual, you'll need it just to see how the gauge comes apart.

Almost two years later:
Still the best gauge I've ever owned but don't make the mistake I did and use it to check calcium filled agricultural tires, it corrodes the sensor circuitry. Now I know better, will be ordering another.
1515 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2013
I have been very impressed with the quality of this device. Easy to use and easy to read. Price was slightly higher than what I wanted to pay for a home-use only tire inflator but, I am glad that I spent the extra bucks to get such a nice piece of equipment. I didn't find the battery as difficult to install as some had been complaining about (perhaps being forwarned made it go smoother). The only very small issue I have noticed is that the nozzle is a bit hard to get sealed on the tire stem until you learn to push hard enough to properly engage the seal rubber inside the connector. I think the rubber seal is just a bit stiff the first few times you use it.
on January 13, 2015
I am just a guy that keep his tires full and always filling bike tires. Bought a new car with TPMS this summer and a few weeks ago we got the warnings of a low tire and to fill to 36 psi. Pull out the compressor, connected the normal tire-inflate w/with the sliding pop-up gauge. Filled each tire 36 psi or so I thought. Took car out for a 15 minute drive and 1 was over inflated to 38 psi and the other other 3 were under inflated by 2 psi. Not a lot, but the warning was still there. I looked on line and read several reviews on Amazon and spent more that I wanted on this one. Received today and was impressed with size, craftsmanship and could see it was meant for a tire shop, but I didn't care. Put the battery in, put in on the compressor and filled each tire to 35.9 psi. Took it for a drive and within 5 minutes every tire was reading 36 psi and the idiot light was off. Fantastic tool and glad I spent the money that was truly crafted for quality and durability.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 19, 2016
The only negative reviews I read related to cumbersome battery installation. I received this gauge in Feb 2016, with a QC label dated 2015-08-10 and it does NOT have this issue. The gauge now has a tool-less battery installation:

Pull back rubber from around gauge
Slide open plastic battery cover
Insert 2 * AA batteries
Slide battery cover back in place
Pop rubber cover back over gauge

10 seconds at most!

Gauge itself work great. It is VERY heavy duty and fairly large (which I like). The blue rubber body is 9 inches tall by 4 inches wide by 3.25 inches deep. Nice!
on May 14, 2015
Works great.. But only 4-stars, because of the way the Manufacturer mounts a clip-on battery encasement, soldered directly to the circuit board. One has to slip the battery in and out at each change.. That exposes the circuit board to being damaged, each time you replace the battery.. And that will happen more frequently with that kind of battery placement.. =>The battery (button cell) should be on wire leads instead. That would improve the durability of the tester, by taking that power source away from the circuit board.
Replacing the button-cell battery subjects the instrument to being easily damaged, as you peel through the plastic and glass layers to replace and re-assemble the many layers (being careful that everything is sealed correctly). =>The battery should have access by designing the tester with a separate battery compartment, with wire leads. It would eliminate risk of damage to the unit, when being changed.
And back-lit liquid crystal displays are easy to look at.. But gobble energy.. Fortunately, they limit the back light timing.. => However, they would better served with a larger LCD display making it even easier to read, without the need of a back light.
But I'd buy another in a minute.. I haven't seen anything out there quite like it..