Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

on December 8, 2008
This little 'netbook' is very small. I liken it too a poor man's OQO but it does its intended job: To get on the Internet. One cannot play WoW on it and expect it to mimic their home PC. Also it having a Celeron is something to hamper the expected performance of it. However, it comes underclocked! A good thing and a bad one too. That's to save energy and extend the life of the machine. I was blessed to get a version w/ Windows XP on it for a reasonable price. The first thing I did was to bump up the SO-DIMM RAM to 2GB and that seemed to help. The auto update (which I disabled) stuck me with XP Service Pack 3, so that ate up the already small HD. Getting rid of the swapfiles freed up over 5% of the HD, which is a lot for just an 8GB hard drive. The 701 SD possesses a SD card reader (hence its name) so one can save the solid-state drive some room. It seems to run a little hot when it's used for a while. The battery charges relatively quick compared to my Compaq V6444US.

Again, this thing is tiny and borders on being a novelty, but, its saving grace is access to the world-wide-web by 802.11 B/G wireless or the RJ-45 port. I'm going to learn to overclock this 'netbook' to speed it up to run the mandatory applications I installed like a firewall, spyware detector, Real-Player, Adobe Reader and Power Point viewer for the person on the go to take better advantage of the 'Net. This little computer is good for children, folks who are new to computers and for those who are out and about that want the reassurance of not losing data if hey drop the thing because of its solid-state drive. Keep in mind that this Asus Eee 701 SD can outdo the ENIAC (duh..) and it amazes me that a computer for a reasonable price can bee gotten by almost anyone and how far things have come and will go. A good buy that's built well but S-L-O-W compared to all modern home PCs. It's like 1995 all over again! Again, keep this in mind also: It's for the Internet. Knowing and reminding yourself of that you'll do fine and it will serve you well.
Have fun & God Bless!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2009
I really enjoy using this this netbook! I have had several of the acer and hp netbooks, but at 10.2 inches screens and approaching over 3 lbs I think they are getting away from the spirit of this laptop category. I primarily use this to look up things on the net through its built in WiFi and my wife and I have used it with great success on a recent trip to San Francisco tethered to my SPRINT phone as a modem. The keyboard is a bit cramped but I generally am not typing more than 10 words at time so its generally not an issue for me.

- Tiny Size !!!
- Did I mention it's T I N Y ?? Barely bigger than a VHS tape.
- Featherweight at 1.9 lbs
- Good battery life for its size (I get 3-4 hrs)

- Small Screen ( Non Standard Resolution, wish it supported 1024*768)
- Keyboard is small and can be a challenge for people with truck driver hands like me.
- Its not a speed demon, I wouldn't open up more than 6 tabs in FIREFOX
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2010
This netbook was good overall I suppose but I had so much difficulty typing. Only being 86% the size of a normal keyboard really threw me and even after 2 months of using this product my fingers still had trouble. The desktop stretched which meant you had to move the entire screen at times to read a single web page or word document.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2009
I bought one of these that came with Xolaris Linux which sucked big time so I loaded XP (using my external cdrom drive) and the hard drive in this tiny laptop wasen't big enough to load the updates or load a virus scanner so I had to run SP 1 leaving me open to viruses. The keys are small so expect typos galore, the screen is not that great and only displays half of web pages similar to a DSI where you have to scroll to read a sentance on the screen, actually a DSI is better than this laptop. The new Eee PC 1000 is eons better, plus you can load Vista and actually have a compentant hard drive!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse