5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendous and Powerful Laptop
The ASUS A55VD-AB71 is simply overall an EXCELLENT laptop once you get past one or two minor inconveniences. I bought this to replace my one year old Gateway NV55S04u 15.6-Inch Laptop that I also got from Amazon in 2011. My personal policy is to replace laptops within two years of usage but after seeing this ASUS A55VD and the specs it had I decided to break my custom and...
Published on November 5, 2012 by Alexander Knowles

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed Asus lover
I have several Asus products and have always been happy and satisfied with them...until now. The touchpad jumps around, the Asus power manager interferes constantly regardless of the settings, video only wants to run on the internal graphics (one reason I bought it was for the external graphics) once it hibernates it locks up, sometimes to the point the battery needs...
Published 24 months ago by M. Roberts

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I have 16GB RAM in this laptop, April 27, 2013
This review is from: ASUS A55VD-AH71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
For those of us that have to actually pay for our own laptops out of our own pockets, this has been the best laptop purchase I have ever made. I read the reviews where a customer found that the machine would successfully support 16GB of RAM and I ordered exactly the same chip set (Corsair 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory CMSO16GX3M2A1600C11) and sure enough it works perfectly. Asus has a quick start feature that saves so much time waiting for Windows to start up. The features built into the machine are now standard with laptops but at least there is nothing left out. I would have preferred getting Windows 7 instead of 8 because all Mr. Softy has done is to make 8 really, really annoying. If you are sick of the lock screen, charm bar, and all the rest of it you can get it under control with Start8 from Stardock.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy with some issues, March 28, 2013
This review is from: ASUS A55VD-AH71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I bought this laptop for my wife on her birthday. It is fast; has a very bright and sharp screen and runs cool. The only shortcomings are Windows 8, which is the quirkiest OS I've ever used. Some features are removed such as Media Player. If you need it you will need to download a 3rd party app. I use the one from VLC ([...]) which is free and works great. The mouse pad is extremely sensitive. It can be disabled by hitting Fn+F9. It will take a while to figure out how to work around all the quirks in Windows 8, but anyone who is comfortable working within other Windows OS's will eventually figure it out. Windows 8 was definitely made for touch screens. It is overly graphical in its makeup. This makes it challenging but not impossible to navigate. When the first screen comes up you can either go down to the Desktop link or just hit the Windows key or Windows key + D. This will bring up a more familiar desktop and those familiar with older versions of Windows should be able to work comfortably from there. Overall good buy. Except for those things I mentioned above, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this machine to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, but there are some things to consider., February 8, 2013
This review is from: ASUS A55VD-AH71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I've had this computer for just over a month now, and I am very happy with it. I am a graphic designer and I enjoy gaming, and so far this computer has met my needs quite respectively. However, there are a few things to consider before buying this machine. First and foremost: The computer I recieved is a refurb. which is clearly not stated with the advertisement. Now, this is obviously not to say that all will be refurbished computers, but it certainly was a hard pill to swallow when I flipped the machine upside down. I quickly got over it though, deciding I would give it a chance. As I said, so far, I can't fault it on anything.

Shortly after turning on the computer, and setting it up for the first time, I realised that none of the hotkeys worked. The touchpad was also not working the way it was supposed to. So, I had to spend some time on the ASUS website, downloading missing drivers. It is all perfectly operational now, but not the most user friendly start all the same. Should someone who does not have the knowhow to deal with a problem like this, it would most certainly be an iritating inconvenience.

This computer ships with a 2GB Nvidia GeForce 610M graphics card, which 'shares' the graphics responsibility with the Intel HD 4000 onboard graphics processing unit (GPU). This is supposed to be a power saving solution, but i'm not able to comment on it's effectiveness. In actual fact, the onboard GPU have the reigns almost all of the time, only bringing the 610M in at times when it really begins to struggle with graphic rendering; such as during graphic intensive gaming like Battlefield 3 etc. Now, to be fair on the onboard graphics, the Intel HD 4000 onboard GPU actually recieved decent reviews, and will even match some of the cards still being sold by Nvidia and Radeon, regarding performance.

I gave this computer a five star rating, because it's how I feel about it now. Trying not to mark the product down, based on a few hiccups in the beginning that were infact the fault of the supplier. And the problems I experienced with mine are not necessarily a standard thing. Perhaps I just had bad luck; the other reviewers didn't seem to have experienced the same issues. This Computer really has been a pleasure to work and play with thus far. That is all, class dismissed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be great... COULD be.... but is as long as you have a mouse, January 20, 2013
Okay, so I've used this laptop a few months now, and I would wait longer, but I already know the cons that piss me off enough... and considering one of them just deleted my email to a client... yeah, review time.

Pros:
light. Not as light as some are these days, but lighter than the several year old dell latitude that I was using previously. It adds noticeable weight to the backpack... but hell, what's a little extra weight training right? seriously though, it's not bad at all weight wise
Battery life seems pretty good, I may upgrade to the stronger battery later, but I don't use this much without the charger nearby, and with an inverter in the car, I can charge it just about anywhere.

Iffy bits
Body style. Maybe it's just me, but that little bit in the front that it's all inclined and not solid like every other laptop I've used.. is a tad annoying at first... but after awhile, you don't really care anymore... however, I don't like the placements of the status lights (front left)... and to be honest, the body apparently makes it difficult to open the unit up and swap hard drives (which you will have to do, as mentioned 2nd line down from this one.)

Webcam and mic. They work, that's all I can tell you because I don't use them.

Harddrive - I didn't use it long before I switched it out, but just trying to start it up.... my dell with half the ram and weaker intel loaded faster than that! I didn't find any listing that wasn't a 5400rpm drive (slooooooow), but I had a hybrid drive already waiting to swap in so I didn't care. To be honest. if you're looking for a fast drive laptop.... don't even both looking over the listing for it. Go buy a hybrid drive from here or newegg, you can sometimes get a pretty nice one for 100$ or even a bit less, and it'll run circles around the 5400 they put in many laptops I saw while searching.
Ram - it runs, it runs well, so no real complaint there. I've seen reviews saying that it can handle up to 16gb, and even the tech I talked to agreed, but said to upgrade that far isn't that purposeful as most programs hardly take more than a few gigs of ram. Then again, I'm not using heavyweight gaming, so perhaps the upgrade would be more useful to others than to me.... then again, maybe I'll do it anyway just because I can.

Cons:
touch pad - seriously, the worst one I've EVER used. Palm proof tech? go home you're drunk. I swear sometimes this thing things I touched it when I BREATH. It clicks all the time when I'm trying to do something and messes me up constantly. The click buttons are PART of the touch pad, which honestly has to be the worst idea ever in touch pads. With no distinction, I cant' tell where I'm clicking, IF I'm clicking, and it frequently wants to right click when I'm clearly hitting the LEFT click. Perhaps there's additional software involved that makes it better, but I didn't find it, and I honestly don't want to mess with it. So yeah... get a mouse.
The speakers are okay, but honestly not what I would have expected from altec. For one... they're on the UNDERSIDE of the laptop... not really sure why, but whatever, they still work.

Overall impression:
It works, it was only 750$ with an i7 and 6 gigs ram and arrived relatively quick.... so can't complain on that. It handles 7 ultimate 64 bit pretty nicely, CS4 64 bit runs quite smoothly (yay, seriously, yay) and games.... well... it runs my bigfish games. Graphics are quite nice, plays 1080 and 720 nicely.

As a stand alone laptop.... I'd have to say not impressed, not impressed at all. However, it actually works quite well for my setup, since I actually use it connected via hdmi to an asus 24" monitor (which I purchased on newegg at the time, but regardless, is a rather lovely monitor), external keyboard, and logitech trackball mouse (which is awesome in photoshop) so that I can do my work with more ease of access and better sound as I have logitech 5.1 speakers in the office.

So as it is... I'm not completely positive I approve the price point, but hey, it's an i7 so I guess I can't complain with it's 2gb nvidia card as well. But basically, get yourself an external mouse, and turn off that stupid touchpad, and you'll be set to go. Oh, and like I said, hybrid drive, definitely get one.

4.0 out of 5 stars close to perfect but a few minor complaints, September 30, 2012
This asus model meet my expectations. I took the risk of buying this model off amazon even with the lack of review ratings and such, but it runs many programs efficiently and fast thanks to its core i7 processor with hyper threading. The battery life is long compared to most laptops and the charge cycle is very fast. The specs on this computer is good enough for the average-high pc gamer. The only complaint I have is the mouse pad. It is identical to a mac computer trackpad but it frequently clicks when the palm of my hand touches it while I type. By frequently, I mean FREQUENTLY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Laptop, July 17, 2013
Korey (Columbus, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS A55VD-AH71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
Very happy with the speed of the processor, feel of the keyboard and the display. Compared to the Lenovos that I use in the classroom, this feels so much more sturdy, and responsive. Several weeks of research of models and manufacturers led me to Asus. The only thing I wish this particular model had is a backlit keyboard. (It's very helpful when I'm in bat mode). Made the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8. Still figuring out some of the tricks, not crazy about it, but I am adapting to it much more easily than I thought I would. Maybe my Windows phone helped with that. I feel very comfortable about the durability, and price paid for this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, Especially For the Price, June 11, 2013
This review is from: ASUS A55VD-AH71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
This is great laptop, especially considering the fact that it's only $679.99 (via Amazon anyway, as opposed to the other vendors here). The only cons are rather minor. First, has Windows 8, which thinks its a tablet/computer hybrid when it should be only a computer, thus making navigation inconvenient and overcomplicated. Some customization can fix that, although it might take a few hours of adjustments to the look and feel to get it right. Second, the touchpad mouse has many gestures it can do, so it does take a little practice to get good at using it. Lastly, various functions on the keyboard (volume controls, touchpad on/off, etc.) require you to hold Function, and the Function key is all the way across the keyboard from most of the buttons it modifies, which is a bit inconvenient. But, overall it's a great computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent Laptop, but ... uhmmmm! ??????, April 10, 2013
This review is from: ASUS A55VD-AH71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I love this laptop although I don't like Win8, it's too bad for me (it doesn't work for me, I prefer Win7). But I could customize it for my pleasure. This ASUS is really fast, everything looks fine except the HDD which sometimes makes some noise, The HDD is a Western Digital which is not a good product. Anyways, good laptop for a fair price; BUY it ... GET IT!!!
Heeeeeyyyyyysssss!!!!! After a couple of months using it I have discovered a little problem, the two USB3.0 ports are too close that it's impossible to use them both at the same time! they need more space between them to be usable. However, this is a very wonderful laptop!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Internal speakers just adequate, March 20, 2013
I reallyenjoy my computer. One slightly disappointing aspect is the sound. The internal speakers are just adequate. The touch on the keys is great and the light weight makes for great true laptop experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5* POWERHOUSE Laptop for work or play! UPDATE w/My MODS!!, March 19, 2013
This review is from: ASUS A55VD-AH71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
Blazing fast, best deal I could find under $700. Works flawlessly so far. Could not find 3rd gen i7 6gb ram w/750 gb hard drive this solid for this price. Wish it had a backlit keyboard but boo hoo, I will just have to rough it ;)
*******************************************************************************
UPDATE 8/17/2013!! Well I was looking for a laptop backpack and decided to post this update. This laptop was a GREAT buy before, it is now INSANE!! I did NOT like windows 8. I purchased the "builder" version of Windows 7 Professional for $99 saving $50. Used that $50 towards a 1TB hybrid drive that is 750GB/250GBssd and install was seamless since all the drivers for widows 7 64x are on the asus driver support page for this laptop. The only issue I ran into was the driver for the soundcard only resulted in the bottom speakers working, solution is to uninstall the driver then re-start and let windows find the best driver and install it, worked fine. I also went from 6GB ram to 16GB of Crucial Ram and it is a HUGE HUGE difference!!!!! The only downside I have seen to going 16GB of ram is the battery seems to run down about 10% faster than it did before and about once an hour the screen goes from current setting to 10% brighter then back over 5 seconds, although I only notice it in low light settings. I also installed a 3M Anti-Glare film to the screen for both glare reduction and screen protection, this was $19.99 and along with spending some time calibrating the screen cuts back on glare since I use this for work and spend hours and hours on it at times. I have found an option for a backlit keyboard, an ebay vendor selling an Asus keyboard that looks just like mine and found a site where some Asus owners have tapped into power to light the keyboard. If you don't want a lighted keyboard, work on computers at all, or are not good with a soldering iron your playing with fire. The ONLY NEGATIVE about this laptop is it should have a better GPU. I know its not a gaming machine, and in fact it will play Star Craft II on low graphic settings, but advertising this machine as running a GEFORCE 610M is false advertising. Its running INTEL's graphics card and my understanding of GPUs is limited, but in layman's terms from what I have learned from two different laptop forum posts regarding laptops running the same motherboard paired with the 610M, the way the two work together is not ideal and cannot be swapped out for higher end GPU. Since I have not found a way to replace the GPU on a laptop, if your a hardcore gamer looking for something to play 3rd person shooters even on low settings, this laptop is not for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›