Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes

on June 26, 2012
It took me a long time to decide which laptop to buy, I probably looked at more than a hundred models by different companies, around this price range of 500-700$, but finally, about 3 months ago, I decided to buy this one, after many people who own Asus laptops told me that they are simply great. What can I say, they were right. This laptop is everything I expected and more. Truly lightning fast, everything works fluently. The battery is amazing, lasts for around 7 hours. The screen is crispy clear and vibrant with colors, watching movies on it is awesome. The keyboard is great and there is also a very comfortable pad for the hands, I guess that's one of the pros of buying a 15 inch screen. The only con I can find is that it's a pretty large (not heavy though) piece to put inside a bag if you're a student like I am and want to take it with you. Anyway, this one rocks, go for it.
on September 12, 2014
I am a student and a gamer and this laptop is perfect for both.
Its slim, lightweight, and durable (I take it literally everywhere with me).
The battery life is phenomenal. I average 7-8 hours battery life with normal use (browsing, Microsoft Word, etc.)
Windows 7 is king. There's a number pad!
Games I play include League of Legends, Skyrim, Diablo, and WoW, and it runs all of those wonderfully (even with Facebook and youtube pulled up in the background.
I never believed a product would be made that could keep up with my life and my ridiculous needs, but here it is.
Oh, and it looks sexy <3

Cons: My webcam is trash, but that might be my fault (who knows). No Backlit keyboard. No Bluetooth...but I one really NEEDS Bluetooth.

This is a laptop for winners. 5/5
on September 2, 2012
I bought this laptop 9 months ago for school and I am pleased. The one knock I have is the extremely annoying ASUS firmware... Updates that never work, downloads that don't work,etc. as for performance and battery life I am very pleased. ASUS claims 10 hours of battery life..... Well if you run on power mode and only type then possibly.... However, for average computing you're looking at 5.5-6 hours of battery life tops. Not a bad laptop at all, but for the same price range, I'd go Fujitsu Lifebook if I had the choice again.
on July 2, 2012
I bought this laptop at Best Buy for $599--mine has a 750 gig drive, though. I've had it for about two weeks now, and I'm pretty happy with it.

What I needed: I needed a notebook that would be reliable through my senior year of college (including, importantly, writing a thesis) for my word processing, number-crunching, and research needs. I'm also a relatively low-key PC gamer, so a computer that can hold up to Minecraft is a plus. Ergonomics are important--I need to be comfortable spending all day on this thing. Some image editing capacity (about a quarter of my job is graphic design) is a plus. Portability is nice, but not a primary concern since I have another laptop (an early Lenovo IdeaPad) that's dying slowly, but is pretty light and works for minor stuff.

What I got: I got what I asked for, and I'm pretty happy with it so far...

Looks: drop-dead gorgeous. My boyfriend just got a new Toshiba which, full price (he got it for half), costs as much as this (full price)--but mine looks about twice as expensive. The screen is good, though not quite as nice as it looks on the shelf. I have a high-def picture of a nebula as my background, and it looks great, but not quite as good as it could. But it's definitely a pretty computer.

Hardware/ergonomics: I like the keyboard--the shift and enter keys are small, which takes a little getting used to, but otherwise it's good. I was skeptical about the off-center mousepad, but it's a lot less of a problem than I expected. The buttons work well, and the four-finger zoom is going to be great for long days reading journal articles. The rubber handrests are a great touch--they don't get nasty and sweaty (not that the computer gets very hot). Battery life so far is as advertised. My three complaints: first, it's not that comfortable sitting in your lap. The battery has a high ridge on it to keep it at a good typing angle on the desk when you type, which isn't much fun when it's digging into your knees. Second, the fn+f(10,11,12) volume controls don't work. I think that if I install a new audio driver it should work, but I haven't found it yet, and in any case it's annoying that it didn't work out of the box. Third, it's heavy. My second choice laptop was a very similar samsung, which was even heavier (mostly in the 1 TB hard drive), but this is a little bit of a brick. Not too bad, though.

Power: It's not quite as fast as I'd expected--startup is a little slow, and it takes a good bit of time to open some programs (Steam, Firefox, LibreOffice, Zotero take awhile that I've noticed). Minecraft works best with render on short with graphics settings to the minimum (for you non-crafters--this is not optimal) but it does work quite well when I have those settings on. Other than that, I haven't noticed any problems, but I don't have everything I'm going to need installed yet. I might update later on that.

Support: the website, in my limited experience, has not been at all helpful. As I mentioned, I was looking for an audio driver to fix my volume control problem, and the download I found didn't work, and tried to download something else that I hadn't wanted and would need to pay for. All the links that might lead to a person to contact are broken, and I can't figure out how to get it to retrieve my lost password to log in. I'll try calling later and see if that works better.

In sum: a great laptop for the price. Not perfect, but definitely worth considering.
on July 2, 2012
I spent a lot of time researching my next laptop PC purchase. I was predisposed to ASUS, but looking at other brands too. I found this model because it best fit my requirements. I could not find any info or customer reviews. I wanted a PC with an i5 quad-core processor, with more than 4GB RAM, with more than 500GB HDD, with a large screen, and with a DVD/CD drive, plus all of the expected ports. This is what I found, and even in the absence of specific reviews and info, ultimately I took the plunge based on the general reputation of ASUS ...

* As with everything I purchase from Amazon (Prime), it arrived when expected and sufficiently packaged
* OOB experience was simple and perfect
* Powered-up, and ran great from the start
* My previous PC is a 7 year-old Celeron based unit ... WOW what a difference a quad-core i5 CPU with 8GB RAM makes
* Add the 8 GB of RAM, even though a portion is shared for video RAM, and the system is very fast and responsive
* The HDD is quite large and fast enough for Office Apps and Web Apps and Web browsing
* Though one downside (not an knock against ASUS) is the large amount of HDD space consumed by preloaded MS Office 2010; though I suppose it was advantageous to have that since I did purchase a copy of MS Office
* Build quality is quite good; screen is excellent; keyboard & trackpad are all more than adequate
* Finally I have a PC with sleep and wakeup that not only work consistently & reliably, but FAST too!
* I haven't fully tested the batteries, however it does seem battery life tracks what is spec'd
* Size & Weight ... I wanted a large screen, and the unit is therefore wide (again, my choice); however what is impressive is how thin and light it is
* It also runs cool ... I have never felt any heat
* It also runs very quiet, even if it has to use its fan

Summary -

I am thoroughly pleased with this PC and its performance and price point. If the specs for this laptop PC meet your requirements, it's a great choice.
on May 14, 2013
I ran into similar problems as another reviewer - my hard drive completely failed 1 1/2 weeks after the warranty ended (I think they design products this way, I swear). I took the hard drive out and attempted to access it via an external enclosure on my desktop, and it won't even recognize it. I ordered and installed a new hard drive thinking I could reinstall Windows and cut my losses. Go back to original package...and no windows disk. But how could that be? I called them up and got this gem of a response: "Did you create a backup recovery disk when you received your laptop?" Me: "No" Them: "Well, you had the opportunity to create as many backup disks as you wanted so it's not our fault if you didn't do that."

They then directed me to asus product page where I can order one for the tidy sum of $50.

$50!? You can get a blank DVD for a buck. It's highway robbery. I can get an entirely new copy of windows 8 for $20 more.

Anyway, I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because it was a nice computer before it crashed.

Battery Life
Mousepad - love the two finger swipe, pinch in/out like a Mac
Speed - Boots up quickly, around 15-20 seconds

Speakers are worthless. I mean totally worthless. Full volume 2 feet away on the table in a quiet room and you can't hear a thing. God forbid you have a fan running in the background
..and speaking of fans, the one in the laptop gets a little loud sometimes...making it even harder to hear the speakers
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2012
I wanted a good configuration and budget laptop for totally a Linux env. I was considering Samsung A8 series but ended up with this one. I am not gamer just a developer with tons of development tools and IDE's.

This is really a solid make, I am enjoying this for more than few weeks. Performance is simply superb. All the h/w components are compatible with Linux(but only Ubuntu 12 works out of the box). Now I am a great fan of Asus and consider buying their product in future(planning for a tablet)

If your expectation is same as mine, then I recommend this product.
on September 6, 2014
Had this Laptop for well over a year, probably close to a couple of years now and it was great and is still running great. No freezing and the battery last a long time.
on March 19, 2013
I bought this computer from Best Buy. We bought it for my wife for her work. The thing started rebooting itself and became so unreliable because of all the work my wife lost. Best Buy wouldn't do squat. Won't buy anything from them again. I called ASUS and they gave me a RMA number and I sent the computer in. It came back several weeks later indicating that it had a bad HD. This is 4 months after that now. Same thing is happening. I hope I finish this review. I will never buy an ASUS laptop again. They refused to replace it after we had it only two months. They insisted on fixing it. Now we are stuck with a $700 box for NETFLIX. That's about all we can do on it without it rebooting itself. I have two desktops and three laptops. The most reliable laptop we have is a HP Pavilion. It's been a workhorse. I'll be sticking with HP from now on. ASUS laptops are crap!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2013
I was previously a diehard Dell owner (something about which I am now ashamed). This product arrived on time and shipped quickly. It was packaged pretty well. The laptop looks expensive, but was probably the least expensive one I've owned...and it works better than my previous $2,300 laptop. It never crashes, never freezes, never erases my files, etc. The hardware works fine. It's very versatile software-wise. I highly recommend it.

See 1 answered question