5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value
Outstanding data drive. Quiet. Fast. Solid. I am ordering my third drive for another machine.

Software? Licensing fees for Blu-Ray are not trivial, so don't expect any at this price.
Published on April 16, 2012 by Christopher S. Mooney

1.0 out of 5 stars frustrating
Published 14 months ago by Daisy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, April 16, 2012
Christopher S. Mooney "Moondawg" (Schaumburg, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST) (Personal Computers)

4.0 out of 5 stars great product, September 13, 2012
No software with DVD to play on the windows 7 machine.
Downloaded Cyberlink DVD 12 works great and the quality BD is amazing on my HP monitor!!
cheap and very nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with my Mac, August 20, 2012
I have used this on my Mac mini with Vantec NexStar DX NST-530S2 5.25-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 Optical Drive External Enclosure (Black) for a month now. It worked under Lion (10.7) and now works with Mountain Lion (10.8).

Mac OS X by default will recognize BD media, but will not play it. Which is fine with me. I bought it for the purpose of ripping my BD movies for use with iTunes and my 1080p Apple TV. I use MakeMKV to copy the content of the blu-ray discs to my external HD, then I use HandBrake to convert the MKV to an M4V file for iTunes. It's time consuming, but it works well.

And no, I didn't need to install any drivers or any of that garbage for the drive to work. I just popped it into the enclosure, connected the enclosure via USB, and it worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory, September 18, 2012
I've been using this as my main CD/DVD/BD operator and the performance has been outstanding. No BluRay software included so i just got PowerDVD plus. Affordable and the quality of the hardware is good... can't go wrong with this especially if your building a desktop.

Koop!

1.0 out of 5 stars frustrating, June 8, 2013
Daisy (New Orleans, LA USA) - See all my reviews
I just got this model in the mail and installed it in my computer. It comes with a disk that connects you to their website for firmware upgrade. After 30 minutes on their website I gave up as I could not find it per the info on the label. Then I downloaded WinDVD11 and tried to play a Blu-Ray. It told me to upgrade my firm ware so I was back to step one. I returned to their website (ASUS) and tried optical drive again (a search on their website for blu-ray, bluRay or even blu came up with nothing) and finally found the item. Went to download the update and it asked for my OS and gave me two options, Windows8 32 or 64 bit. I'm on Windows 7. I found nowhere on this Amazon page that this device is only for Windows8. So now I'm trying to ask ASUS to confirm this is only Windows 8 before I ship it back to Amazon. I'm using their contact page and it refuses to let me chose a Model in the drop down window, and, of course, it won't accept my question with out that answer, so I'm back in a Catch-22 AGAIN. Needless to say this has been a very frustrating 2 hours of my life and I'd like it back. - UPDATE, Leawo Blu-ray player works. It does not have the features I want that WinDVD has, specifically to pull frame grabs, but at least I can view my blu-rays. UPDATE 2, Cyberlink PowerDVD 13 does not work. It downloads, opens, then freezes up. I downloaded it twice with the same results. My guess is that it needs the same firmware upgrade as WinDVD11, and since I don't have Windows 8, it won't work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good drive, but Windows 7 users may have problems, May 1, 2013
This drive seems like a good one, but it only installed the CD Version of Windows 7, 64-bit. After that, it didn't show up in My Computer. I tried going to the ASUS website, and there was only a driver for Windows 8 related to PowerDVD (blu-ray movie player software). I tried looking for drivers on the CD that accompanied the drive, using another computer, except there were no drivers on it. There were just some programs, like Blu-ray software (PowerDVD), something called E-Hammer, and a ASUS Green program that didn't detect my drive either. I went to support, and they couldn't seem to find a solution either. I can't play any CDs, DVDs, or blu-ray, and the drive doesn't show up in My Computer. Only in Device Manager. So this disk drive, while nice, isn't really useful to me. I can hear it running when I insert a disk, but it doesn't show up, and nothing happens.

If anyone has a solution, let me know, and I'll change my review to reflect this.

Also, I'm sure this has already been stated, and it wasn't a problem for me, but this drive doesn't come with any cables.

4.0 out of 5 stars I should have done more research, May 1, 2013
The drive works fine, not really any problems with it. I wish it would have come with some kind of software to run Blurays though. The whole reason I purchased this was to watch Blurays on my computer. I quickly found out what a pain that is so I just ended up returning it. Not a problem with the drive, just Sony's "protection" software with Blurays.

So if you're buying this to watch Blurays on your computer be prepared to drop another $60-$100 on software. The "free alternatives" that supposedly play Blurays didn't work for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray 3d, December 31, 2012
I bought this mainly because my regular network LG Blu Ray player was not 3d capable. This with descent software is very 3d capable. So I kicked the LG out the door, and decided to turn one of my pc's into a HTPC. Great quality drive for the price. Mine runs nice and quiet, and quick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid OEM drive, January 11, 2013
GeekParrot (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I just needed a simple Blu-ray drive for my PC and this fit the bill. You'll need to get software elsewhere (as others have noted), but for the price it's exactly what I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars good and bad, January 5, 2013
kenneth richar (boca raton, florida United States) - See all my reviews
The drive works great but i would recommend spending the extra 20 bucks and getting one with the bluray software. I have been looking around and all the good bluray software is going to cost 40 bucks and over so you save some money getting the drives that come with it.

Rate and Discover Movies