5.0 out of 5 stars Great all around optical drive
I bought this item for my Asus Eee PC Netbook. The installation was a breeze and everything runs perfectly. I didn't have to use a disc (although it comes with one), and all I had to do was plug it in and it was ready to use. The one thing that you should know is that it requires the use of 2 USB ports and they have to be right next each other. If you have a laptop or PC...
Published on December 10, 2010 by gunnersfansam

3.0 out of 5 stars Asus 8x DVD Writer
Product is good but I hate the short USB cable they send you. Requires one to add a USB extender to reach across the Asus EePC Netbook from one USB to another just to connect the drive.
Published on December 31, 2010 by Photoshy

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Asus 8x DVD Writer, December 31, 2010
This review is from: Asus 8X External Slim DVD+/-RW Drive SDRW-08D2S-U - Retail (Black) (Personal Computers)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the risk again., August 17, 2011
I have owned three of these they have all died. One died within warranty. They other two died right after the warranty expired. They would intermittently be recognized by the system. It seems like a bad controller issue.

Personally I would never take the chance on one of these again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Light weight, but often have trouble recognizing discs, January 18, 2012
A. Tsai (Berkely, CA) - See all my reviews
Bought this 'portable' DVD-RW toreplace a damaged laptop DVD-RW on my Lenovo laptop. I primarily use it to watch DVDs, and it worked fine for the first 2 weeks and maybe 10 DVDs, and then it started having problem reading or recognizing brand new DVDs. The only work around I discovered is NOT plugging in both USB connectors, although this will cause problem with the the DVD authoring process without both USB connectors plugged in.

Here are the rest of the Pros and Cons.

Pros:
*The unit looks good and is light weight.
*Low price point.
*Functional, when it can read/detect the discs properly.

Cons:
*Unit is very flimsy and probably not sturdy enough for its intended portability functionality for business travelers.
*The short cord is also a nusiance, but not a deal breaker.
*Issue with recognizing discs in general, including the ones it authored. MAJOR DEFECT!

ASUS has a good reputation for the laptops, and I am surprised that they came out with a less than stellar product that focus more on flashy eye appeal and not functionality.

2.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, January 15, 2012
Robspace1 (Vancouver Wa.) - See all my reviews
The good part first: It's cheap, and actually $20.00 less elsewhere, which I won't name, but anyone that buys electronics online knows where I'm talkin.It does burn cds and dvds, but not all of them. I could not get the rewritable cds to work on the stereo or car, and they normally do. It may be because it needs more power to burn these, don't know. It looks good, and takes up very little desk space. It's about the size of a dvd case.
Now the bad part: It's flimsy and cheap. They used very light gauge plastic on this. I would not give this very long lifespan at all. It's hard to take the disk in and out as the unit sits on it's side and the little stand tips over when you try to pop them out. If you do alot of burning, move on. I wish I would have gotten a simple metal case burner that sits flat and plugs into the wall. But, I burn alot and need a durable unit, and this ain't it.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT plug and play for a Mac, March 26, 2014
I bought this elsewhere, but thought I would put my two cents in here to hopefully save someone else a headache. The box has Mac printed on the side indicating that will work with a Mac. I suppose it does, but only in the most basic sense. There are zero, zilch, none, instructions for use with a Mac (Strike one). I googled the model number and found something on the Asus technical forums stating that I had to use the Mac disc utility to locate the drive in the Mac system (Strike two). Upon locating the drive utility, it did find the drive and show what the disk was, however, I could not figure out how to actually open the disk and use it. Strike three, I'm done with this. I swear, the engineers who come up with crap like this need to get out into the real world more often. No, I'm not very computer savvy, but to me, something being compatible with a Mac means pretty much 'plug and play'. This product is absolutely not that.

1.0 out of 5 stars unreliable, December 2, 2010
cons;
when i played a dvd movie; the screen image was very ghostly, ultra high contrast.

then the door would not eject. i had to shut down, reboot and as soon as the drive began to power up, click the door opening button. but this too became iffy; sometimes it did not work and the dvd was frozen inside the flimsy and cheap appearing asus black box.

i tried a cd...both music as well as work one as quicken. none worked, yet all worked on my acer desk sizedlaptop.

i tried one game and not ony did not play but got frozen/locked inside. i had to do the shut down thing several times before i was able to eject the drive.

item was returned

pro;

only one, lite weight

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive for the Money, April 29, 2011
This drive was a perfect plug and play on my windows 7 machine. Reasonably quiet and looks cool. The stand helps reduce the footprint on your desk. I agree with others that fingerprints on the shiny case get a little ugly but nothing you can't clean right up with a cloth. You will Need 2 available USB plugs within about 6 inches or less of each other on your machine. Nice unit for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reads and writes DVDs well, and silent., April 7, 2011
Used with: Acer TravelMate 8172-6932

Pros:
1.) Burned an ISO image of, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit as a recovery disc for the laptop. It was silent and the same speed as my Desktop Internal optical drive.
2.) Instant recognition by, Windows 7 Pro.
3.) Instant recognition by, BIOS and booted off my burned Windows 7 Recovery Disc for a clean-install of OS.
4.) The rubber grips and glossy exterior is really well made
5.) Lugged it around in school backpack for a few days and it still writes on DVDs without any rattling.

Cons:
1.) None

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine External DVD, March 23, 2011
The drive works well - just as expected. I haven't tried every operation on it yet but it has performed well so far. I am using it with an ASUS eee 1000HA.

4.0 out of 5 stars A capable Optical Drive, March 17, 2011
Pros:
~Automatically recognized and installed by windows 7

~Runs quietly and swiftly, burns CD's and DVD's faster than my wife's Sony Vaio's integrated optical drive.

~Rubber feet and optional vertical support stand give good grip and allow for setup in diverse environments.

~Small, light, and transports well.

Cons (more like concerns):
~The outer case feels slightly thin. I know that it isn't supposed to stop bullets, but I've had to pack this on the outside of my briefcase and I've worried about it breaking. To its credit, it has yet to break, flex, or even scratch.

~The 2 prong USB cable is very short, requiring two plugs side by side, which isn't always ideal. It would be nice if Asus included a usb extension cable for situations where it is necessary.

~Tray can be finicky when closing, as pushing down on the top while shutting it can cause binding. No big deal, unless you are constantly in a rush.

Conclusion:
This is a great product that I would give 5 stars for if I knew that it would hold up to the test of time. But for the cost, and the amount of time I will have it while in transit, it is the perfect drive.

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›