5.0 out of 5 stars Why I love this laptop
Published on September 22, 2012 by TellingYouLikeItIs

1.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, Wide Screen, but Keyboard is too small
Pros:
(1) Lightweight. I wouldn't say it is as light as the Apple laptop, but it is very portable. I can easily lie on my bad or couch holding it, and surf online or watch a movie.

(2) Wide screen. Makes it ideal to watch DVD.

Published on August 28, 2012 by Rachel W

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I love this laptop, September 22, 2012
I've gotten several laptops in my lifetime. And, this is the best one I've gotten so far. Nothing really stands out but it's just altogether well made. When you strike the keys, it feels very nice. The picture quality of the screen is good. Programs load up pretty quickly. Every laptop I've purchased I have regretted. I bought a laptop that was small and lightweight. I thought that it would be great to carry around. But, I learned that ease of carrying it around doesn't justify the small screen. Then, I went the other way and bought a huge screen. But, the weight made it so cumbersome. For example, just typing on your lap was annoying. But, this laptop seems perfect. Light, good screen size, and programs work perfect. Here are some points that I hope helps you make a decision.

Pros:

1. Touchpad. I love the touchpad. Very responsive. And you can scroll up/down and sideways by using two fingers. Never seen that before! Of course, you can zoom in and out by bringing your fingers together and out.

Cons:

1. low battery life. After a few hours of web surfing, you'll have to replug. My other laptops lasted much longer right after purchasing. (After a year or two, all of my laptops' batteries just sucked.)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great entry level laptop, November 25, 2012
The Intel version is considerably faster than the AMD E-450 model, which carries the same price. The only downside is a cut in battery life, the AMD gets a little over 4 hours, while I could only get about 3 out of this one. That is under constant use browsing web pages, and using wifi.
It is no speed demon, but it gets the job done. The display has good color, and is bright enough for use outdoors. The USB 3.0 port is a nice touch.

Before Windows 8 was released, this model was selling for $329, and could often be found on sale for $299. And at that price, it is an amazing machine. But at today's nearly $400 price, there might be other options to consider.

4.0 out of 5 stars Repaired and is working..., October 26, 2012
Purchased this laptop at the end of July and after 4 weeks the monitor died. Shipped it at my expense to get repaired and it was returned to me in worse condition than when I sent it in. Sure the "repair" was free but what good was it? New repair is pending...

So far I'm not impressed, let's see how this next repair goes. Seriously, shouldn't they have just replaced the entire machine? If they take care of me I'll be sure to post here to let all know. Will keep you posted...

Update...11/15/2012

I just received the re-repaired laptop last week and I'm pleased to say that after leaving it on for a few days and using it the problem has been fixed. I'm pleased it's now fixed although I still believe it wasn't fair for me to have to pay almost $65.00 in total shipping charges when the product was only 4 weeks in my possession. Other than this the computer has worked well and I can recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Used a couple of Months, November 25, 2012
I've been using this laptop for a couple of months, and I really love it. My last two laptops were a Toshiba and an HP. Both were relatively inexpensive at around $500 and they both felt really cheap. Both also died around the 3 year mark. I literally had tape holding the HP together at the end, and it barely ever left my coffee table. The toshiba was physically ok at the end, but totally crashed and could not be recovered even after bringing it to computer repair people. While I don't know what the longevity of this Asus will be, it feels and looks so much better out of the box, even though it is the least expensive. The screen is beautiful. It is fairly light for such a large computer. The battery life isn't great, but I am so used to the batteries on my last laptops loosing their charge after a year or so that I am happy to have any battery life. Programs were easy to instal. I really like the feel of the keyboard and track pad. Someone mentioned that the volume is too low, but that can be adjusted with the pre-installed desktop icon that says "Asus Sonic Foccus." I actually think the sound quality is pretty decent. Overall, my computing needs are pretty basic. This computer is great for the basic stuff. Of course, it runs slow until you install all of the windows updates, but as soon as you have installed all windows updates and an anti-virus program, you should be trouble free as I have been. This is the first laptop that I have actually been excited about in many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars good value, September 14, 2012
Cyd Haug-West (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I do my major computing on a Dell desktop, but I needed an affordable laptop for portability around the house and occasional travel. I'm very pleased so far with this one's performance. The screen is quite large and the quality of graphics & videos is more than good enough for my basic needs. (I can't speak to how it would be for gaming, since I don't do any of that.) This is a fine choice and good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great laptop for home users, December 27, 2012
I bought this for my wife who likes to check email, browse the internet, write blogs, watch Netflix, and other simple tasks. Has a quick, Intel dual-core processor with power to do everything she wants. She also does Quicken and loves the 10-key on the keyboard. Very nice, bright screen that is adjustable for when you want to watch a movie at night and not blind yourself :). Fast wireless 802.11bgn/wired network cards. This is perfect for a typical home user not into heavy gaming. I do wish is that this had a light-up keyboard for use when it is dark. I bought her a flexible USB light from Amazon for $6 to remedy this.

*** The included ASUS 360 warranty is great. Full 1-year parts\labor\accidental drops, spills, power surge, fire warranty. 24x7 tech support with 3 business day replacement turnaround. Hope I don't have to use it, but that's great peace of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent computer for the price, December 16, 2012
My sister, a high school student, needed to replace her junky netbook with a real computer, so I ordered this one for her figuring it was just perfect for a student.

We received the computer in two days (thank you, Prime), plugged it in, and started setting it up. My husband was so impressed with the Asus computer that he preferred it to our Toshiba AND our HP laptops. In fact, he spent nearly all of Thanksgiving break playing around on her computer. Speakers are good, graphics are good, and I genuinely prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8, which was probably *the* deciding factor in choosing this Asus laptop over several other models in this price point, most of which were equipped with Windows 8. Keep in mind this was during the week of Black Friday, so there were tons of deals on laptops, but this one seemed like the best buy to me, and I was right.

She absolutely loves the computer. We got her set up with a free 60-day trial of Microsoft Home and Student, which is actually my only complaint, that computers don't come with software like that anymore! Not anything against the computer itself, just against the current market and the unfortunate situation that puts many broke students like herself in...having to shell out an extra $100+ for software just so they can write a paper or create a presentation.

Bottom line: Buy it! This was a great buy for her, and my husband was so impressed with the Asus that I bought him one for Christmas to replace the 1 year old HP laptop that bit the dust...

4.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: 11 months after unboxing, replaced Windows with Ubuntu Server 13.04, August 2, 2012
UPDATE: I WAS ABOUT TO DONATE THIS JUNK BUT REPLACING BLOATED WINDOWS WITH A NEW LINUX OS SAVED THE DAY!
1) RELEASE POWER BUTTON TAPPING ESCAPE KEY REPEATEDLY TO INSTALL FROM DVD UBUNTU SERVER 13.04 picking a login id with no spaces, i.e. mikeflores
2) AFTER INSTALLING THE BASIC SERVER OPERATING SYSTEM, LOGIN AND TYPE COMMANDS
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo reboot

THE RESULT: NO VIRUS, WORMS, SPYWARE, ADWARE; JUST A VERY FAST AND COOL NOTEBOOK WITH MORE POWER THAN AN IBM RS6000.

Pros:
Excellant value and solid notebook.
Keyboard and numeric keypad.
EZ to install optional 4G memory bank to double RAM; just make sure to press in until a spring loaded click is heard.
ASUS support ( via email ) is prompt and effective.
Weighs about the same as a MacBook Pro.

Cons:
Face recognition Logon worked only once.
440G hard disk drive is not 500G as advertised
Slow to boot and in overall operation including opening browser
Constant Windows 7 home premium updates and annoying threats of viruses.
Keyboard stopped working totally and chat support misdiagnosed as a hardware failure
Maybe these steps fixed dead keyboard or my changing something on the mouse pad driver setting:
You are going to do a hard reset on the unit:

I want you to power down the unit.

I want you to remove the ac adapter.

I want you to remove the battery.

I want you to hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

This will discharge any static on the motherboard that could be

causing the issue.

Replace the battery and adapter and verify if the issue is still present.

Take my advice, if you only need to run your Windows software like Microsoft Project then get
CrossOver for the MacBook Pro.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, Wide Screen, but Keyboard is too small, August 28, 2012
Pros:

(2) Wide screen. Makes it ideal to watch DVD.

Cons:
(1) Keyboard is smaller. If your fingers are used to typing at the regular-sized keyboard, you'd have to re-adapt to typing in this computer. Initially, I kept typing wrong words because of this reason. The keyboard also feels cheap.

(2) Face logon only works once - that's true! It becomes a bother when it doesn't work, as you'd have to key in password manually.

But for this price, I'd still say that it's a good buy overall.

***************** UPDATES (AFTER A FEW MONTHS): ***************************

I have decided to take the stars off. It has been very disappointing!

(1) The color is off. Green appears fainter than normal and no matter how I adjust hue and saturation, the color never seems to look right.

(2) For a laptop of these specs, it should perform quite quickly, but it does not. I do not have many applications running but it is slower than my older laptop with half the ram and 1/3 less the processor speed.

(3) No Bluetooth???

(4) It cannot detect my cell phone as hardware. It works on my husband's 4 year old laptop on the first connect. What gives???

Hence, reduce to 1 star... I wouldn't recommend this model. I would rather spend a couple hundreds more for a real deal. This, despite its price, is disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, February 2, 2013
TheITMan (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS F55A-AH91 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
EDIT -------

A few days later and now I'm starting to have issues with the screen. It looks like some pixels are missing or frozen. It's random, and I can't tell if it's the computer or the operating system that is glitching out. I have some screen shots, I sent off to ASUS to see what they say.

Doesn't look like I can attach screen shots here.

EDIT -------

I've updated my review to give this a 3 out of 5, instead of a 1. I'm still upset about the disc not being sent with the computer and not being able to reinstall Windows, but some of that is Microsoft's fault as well. Also, most manufactures don't include discs anymore (which is stupid since you can't even make a recovery disc either), so that's not really an ASUS issue. Any laptop is going to be like that now.

When I plugged in a USB mouse I was able to navigate the operating system better, even though it's still confusing because Microsoft changed everything around.

I used the computer all night last night to talk to one of my friends on Yahoo Messenger, and to surf the internet for homework and it worked pretty well for that.

So for a basic model that is cheap, if you're going to be using the internet and things like email, it's probably going to be okay. But don't expect to do a lot more then that with it. I guess for the price you can't expect much more anyway.

Now I just need to see how long this thing will last. If I have any problems with the computer or anything, I will update this review. If there are no updates here, then everything is still working well. Posted 2/4/2013

ORIGINAL BELOW ------
I like the computer, it has a nice keyboard that is easy to use. It's not really that fast, when you are instaling udpates and things like that. It took me over 20 mins sitting at the library just to install windows updates.

The Asus Live Update program is SO ANNOYING. It pops up without warning and takes over your screen and starts downloading files, without even asking if it's okay. I can be in the middle of typing something and BAM an update screen is in my face with focus set to it, so I can't type anymore.

There is no way to backup the system. Asus tech support told me to use the AI Recovery program (or what ever it was called) to burn the DVD to backup the system. But after I couldn't find it, I did some checking to find out that, it's no longer included with this model.

So they told me to use the Windows 8 disc image utility to create a backup of my system image... Well... Low and Behold, Microsoft took out that utility in the public release of Windows 8, so that's also impossible.

1. Doesn't come with any discs, so if I need to reinstall the operating system I'm *****ed. Sure they tell you that it's included on a seperate partition of the hard drive, but WHAT IF THE HARD DRIVE CRASHES??
2. Okay, so use the Asus utility to create a backup of your system, just in case, OH WAIT that was removed form this model.
3. Okay! No problem! I'll just use the Windows 8 utility to create a backup of the system image. OH WAIT!!!! That was removed from the operating system as well.

Manufactures don't even give you a disc anymore, which is so stupid because the disc can't cost more than 2 cents. I paid for the computer. I want my disc.

It's just a scam to get you to buy a new computer and/or new operating system if you ever need to reinstall. I guess if anything ever happens to this computer, I have 2 choices, either send it back to ASUS and be without my computer for a week or two waiting for the shipping of the laptop, or go to the store and by a new copy of Windows 8.

The other thing is that is has Windows 8 installed on it. Which is designed for a tablet computer. Most of the functions tell me "swipe the screen to activate this feature." "swipe to do this" "swipe to do that" I tried swiping for 15 mins, before I realized that THIS ISN'T A TOUCH SCREEN MONITOR. So how the heck can I navigate most of the operating system?

ASUS F55A-AH91 15.6-Inch Laptop