‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, May 19, 2010
This review is from: Asus GX-D1081 8-Port Power-Saving Gigabit Switch (Personal Computers)
This switch is the Asus gx-d1081 model. I'm not sure why Amazon's description is so vague
but its a great switch. The VIP high priority port works really well with my PS3. The power saving green features keep the unit very cool. If you like jumbo frame support it does up to 12K frames. Excellent boost in transfer speeds with my HP lx195 home server
and my Cisco nmh-305 media hub. Was considering to buy another Linksys/Cisco to upgrade my current 100Mb Linksys switch
however you can't beat the features and price of this model. ASUS is a great brand as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Initial Review, March 12, 2012
Eddie R Lopez (West New York, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
This is the first time I've had to purchase a switch so I decided to buy this one solely due to the performance of my Asus N56U Router. I figured....'I'm happy with the router so I'll give the Asus switch a try'. My initial impression is a very good one. Very easy to set up, just plug & play. I've only had it a day so I will be following up with a second review after a month or so. But for today it's working great. I have good ISP service with nearly 60Mbps down and 8Mbps up with no caps on bandwidth. So I decided to torture the Asus switch and throw everything I have at it. I started at 11 this morning and have been streaming HD videos from 3 Roku players using Netflix, my PS3 using Netflix HD videos and my PC streaming HD videos from Amazon all day long. I stopped at 9pm. My wife and son though I was out of my mind playing all those videos at once all day. Our apartment sounded like the TV section at our local Best Buy. I have to say the switch performed flawlessly. Stayed cool to the touch the entire day. The top placement of the vents allowed the device to breath nicely. I was able to detect which devices were streaming Gigabit due to the LED status lights flashing yellow. All other non Gigabit streaming devices flash green. The power saver feature is an added bonus. The switch detected when I shut down the PS3 and switched to power save mode by shutting down that particular port. I know there's great debate as to what type of ethernet cables to use for high bandwidth devices but as a rule of thumb I always use Cat6 cables, as was the case here. So keep in mind, this is only day one. I will continue to run this switch very hard and will post another review next month. ALSO NOTE: I don't think the type of use I did today is typical in a home network.......at least not in my house! See ya soon.

1 Month update: It's been almost a month since I installed this switch and there's 'no way' I could be happier! Rock Solid! I'm not much of a 'Techy' so I can't give you mumbo jumbo stats but I can certainly tell you about 'real world' testing and this device has handled everything I've thrown at it without issues.

Follow Up 2/8/2013: After nearly a year of heavy (and I mean HEAVY) use I'm happy to report that this switch has performed flawlessly. Not a single issue to complain about. We have every port being used daily by High Def devices and it barely gets warm to the touch. I'm now going to upgrade to an Asus Switch containing more ports because we've outgrown this one but will use it as a bridge.

4.0 out of 5 stars GX-D1081 v2 / v1, March 30, 2012
Ordered the item from Amazon and received the v2 version instead. Item looks a little different and the link lights color feature differs from the v1. Green link lights indicates fast ethernet and amber link lights indicates gigabit.

Was thinking the unit was a defect till I did some searching online and found other owners reporting the same observation with the v2 version. Typically other gigabit switch manufacturers use green as the gigabit indicator and amber for fast ethernet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent, reliable switch, January 1, 2013
I am not sure what problems other reviewers are having with this switch. So far it has been rock solid. No problem to hook up, good through put and no problem working with our router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Was After, December 28, 2012
I read the other reviews before purchasing this switch, and agree that it's great value for the money. I've got a fairly involved (wired & wireless) home network with 2 teen boys playing games while I'm doing actual work, so I was happy to get a switch with the priority port on it. I'll probably order another one since it's a great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply perfect! (but will it last?), June 25, 2012
Installation was not much more than getting it out of the packaging and connecting the power and the ethernet cables. It needs no CD, no software, no firmware upgrades, nothing. It needs no maintanence, no rebooting! It is fast, it is very quiet and cool running. I am not an easy reviewer to please (you can check other products I reviewed.) But I am very impressed with Asus GX-D1081 8-Port Gigabit Switch. If you have a gigabit home LAN, this is the best way to extend it.

The only question remains is this: will last a few years at least? Obviously I don't know that yet, but it is looking good.

5.0 out of 5 stars another reason to buy asus ... UPDATE, November 4, 2011
... for reasons beyond the scope of this discussion, it took a while to acquire this 'asus GX-D1081 switch. the wait was not in vain. the device is 'idiot' proof, and works flawlessly. upgrading a local network from a 'hub' to a 'switch' could not be easier, with a significant increase in performance.

all that aside, in tough times, the price/performance ratio is a pleasant surprise. and, if memory serves, the warranty period is two (2) years. this switch's been in service for almost a month now, with little or 'no' elevated temperature.

"Asus" was the initial purchasing hook, which turned out to be a good decision ...

... HEADS UP:

it is now, 08-01-2012, and i've just had the device lock-up. in resolving that issue, i found the following procedure successful. it seems a "power-cycle" "REQUIRES" all sources of power, be removed. that is, all ethernet cables MUST be removed from the device. it seems, ethernet connectivity provides enough power to maintain the 'faulted state", when "wall-wart" power removed ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and play at its best, June 27, 2011
My 4-year old Trendnet switch suddenly stopped working and I previously bought an ASUS Wireless router and it's been good to me so I went with ASUS again and got this switch.

I also looked at the D-Link DGS-1008G, but I didn't like that it's LED indicators were on the top of the unit. I keep my networking equipment on a high shelf in a closet and I wouldn't have been able to see it.

Not a whole lot to say other than it works like it's suppose to. The packaging was superb and minimal and setup was a breeze. The manual is on the CD, which is nice since it reduces paper waste. I prefer the digital manuals since I can do a keyword search.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like it should, June 6, 2011
Very happy with the ethernet switch. Plug and play operation. Includes software but I never used it. It probably has more advanced features on the disk. I just plugged it in and it worked like it should. No trouble or difficulty. The only concern I had was that there is no assigned port for the router (LAN port). You can plug in the devices into any port and plug the router, or modem into any port. They offer 1 VIP port for the most important device on the switch which can also be connected to the LAN. This is the first switch I have used that didn't have a LAN port for the router or modem so it took me back a minute. I then just plugged everything in and all worked well. Doesn't get any easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect, February 20, 2011
Thor117 (indy, indiana) - See all my reviews
What else can I say I plugged in my PS3 my LG LED TV two computers and a WEB CAM all worked perfectly with no effort.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›