Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS M51BC-US003S Desktop (3.3 GHz AMD FX-8300 Processor, 16GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Windows 8) Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on March 22, 2014
Firstly, my old Asus box fried - first PSU which torched the motherboard in the process - so I needed a fast replacement. Didn't have time for a build so I opted for a pre-built Asus, since I've used Asus motherboards for years and they've outlived most other components. The system had everything I wanted or needed, included an 8 core AMD processor, 16gb Ram, and adequate expansion capability for an additional two hard drives, additional RAM or even another optical drive.

I'm a tinkerer and expected to add the two hard drives from my old system in order to both recover some data and to use as additional storage. One problem: sticker n the back said my warranty would be void if the sticker was removed or broken. Okay, didn't really need expansion with 1TB of space, but then the system would crash (video) when I played a 15 year old game (Team Fortress). Immediately conducted some research and discovered that the included 350w power (AC Bel HBA0008 350, max wattage 286.4w)) supply was vastly underrated for the AMD Radeon 8570 (reports as Radeon R7 200 series under Win8, specs min. psu rating is 450w). Well, figured out that if I returned the box for repairs, they'd just replace the junker psu with another junker psu, so off came the sticker and in went a Corsair CX Builder series 600w power supply. Didn't entirely fix the problem (although it's at least more than adequate for any other expansion), video continued to crash under the light load of a 15 year old game so I'm replacing it with a Gigabyte GTX 750 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia card. You'll need the new PSU with a 6 pin PCI-E connector, which is not available on the included AC Bel psu - which is so archaic it's only got Molex connectors. The AC Bel also only had a 4 pin CPU power supply plugged into the 8 pin mb connector - that's pathetic for an 8 core AMD processor.

If you intend to do any gaming or graphics work, the include AC Bel PSU is going to be a major problem for you. If you order this box, order a minimum 600w quality PSU and perhaps, a new mid range graphics card as well.

I suppose with all this said, I shouldn't recommend this machine at all. I'm into it an additional $200 on top of the original $799 purchase price - that said, with the new PSU and video card, it's likely competitive with computers that retail for at least $1200 or so, however, my warranty is void so that's a consideration too. It's not much of a warranty anyway if it involves shipping and a month of waiting for it's return, with the low quality component that failed in the first place.

this system is fine for someone who does light, non-gaming activity, like cruising the Web or writing letters, any serious game play is not going to turn out well with existing PSU and GPU.
on April 9, 2014
Its an ok computer as desktops go but this unit does not come with a wireless card. You'd think that at this price range it would have.
on July 3, 2015
I've had this for a year & a half and found it to be great.
on May 26, 2014
It does not come with wireless network card even though they say it does and also keyboard is charcoal with gray letters that is hard to see when typing.
This computer is powerful and has a great design.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on June 20, 2014
Bought this to stream video but after streaming video the whole pc locks up-unable to anything from that point. So much for multitasking ... It is now in the Asus repair facility for the third time and they are still unable to fix it!!! Worst computer I've ever had. Worst company I have ever dealt with! Will never buy another Asus product.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Valued Customer,

I apologize for your recent customer service experience. We do value our customers and take negative customer experiences very seriously. If you need further assistance, please email me at CL-Scott1@asus.com and write down case # N140820737 in the subject line.

I'm here to help you and all others with these issues, as our customer loyalty department dedicated to bringing a resolution to all issues related to our products.

Regards,