Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on April 30, 2013
This laptop was exactly what I was looking for as sort of a portable desktop. The 17 inch screen is a great size to watch media with. The speakers are amazing and it comes with a plug in sub-woofer. I think they limited the volume max so you don't blow out the speakers so it's not insanely loud but just great rich sound. The laptop description says it weighs 12 plus pounds which is ridiculous so I weighed it on my kitchen scale and it's only 7.8 pounds. The mouse pad has many functions and can be frustrating at first but once you get used to the swipe motion function it's pretty useful. 2 gigs of dedicated video ram can handle video editing and play most modern games on medium or higher settings. It has a small onboard video card to save power until the big guy is needed. The 8 gigs of ram can be upgraded to 16 gigs as the two card slots are not hardwired to the motherboard like some other laptops. All in all it's everything I'll need for the next few years.
44 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2013
I wanted a mobile gaming computer and this delivered. It's a little more powerful than my year old desktop and was only slightly more expensive, which is standard comparing desktops and laptops. I had an easy time taking out the standard RAM and upgrading it to 16GB. It's almost as easy as unscrewing the bottom, popping out the two that are in there and popping in the new stuff. You then have to make sure the computer recognizes it, which was the more difficult part.

It can get pretty hot so I'd definitely recommend a cooling fan, especially if you use it for long gaming sessions like I do. The new Windows has a bit of a learning curve but it's nothing terrible. It did have a lot of unnecessary apps and I spent the first few hours just removing pesky stuff that I didn't want on my machine. Otherwise I absolutely love it.
on October 8, 2013
The power of the hardware is amazing. This thing boots so fast. I put the solid state drive from my old laptop into this new beast and it boots so fast it makes my head spin!

However...

I don't like this keyboard. I just didn't realize, based on the pictures, that it was that type of keyboard you find on Macs. The keys are all spaced out. I hate this. they're small squares and i mistype often. Keys just aren't where i expect them to be.

The touchpad is horrible. It's too sensitive. The ASUS driver lets you enable features, but doesn't let you configure the sensitivity. I constantly try two finger scroll and accidentally do the right click menu because they're similar gestures.

I can't use the left or right hardware click on the touchpad. On synaptic touchpads, you can configure the area of the touchpad that will respond to touch. if this were available for this touchpad, i would tell it to NEVER REGISTER TOUCH near the part of the touchpad that contains the left and right click.

I'm happy with the power, but i regret the keyboard and the mouse on this thing. I wish i hadn't bought this, and that's tough to say because i am a pretty happy guy when it comes to ASUS products.
on July 27, 2013
I use this as my portable office when I have to visit customer sites. The resolution allows me to use visual studio in a productive mode, rather than to just put out fires. The combo of CPU and RAM actually lets me get things done.

My only complaint is the form factor. It is about 1/8 of an inch wider than 99.9% of all 17" laptops. I cannot get this thing into my old leather (and very expensive) briefcase. I had to buy a cheapy one to get around. Even in the new one, I sheared the end off of my wireless keyboard and mouse dongle.

If you don't travel too much, this is an awesome buy. If you do ... make sure your travel accessories fit, and won't break things in use.

Also, it is frickin' heavy, but that comes with the territory.
on September 22, 2013
Well, first of all I would like to say that English is not my first language, so excuse me if I have some grammatical mistakes. I hope you understand me!
The main reason why I bought this PC is for gaming. I just wanted to play every game, at least in low graphics, but I wanted to play them all. I bought it a week ago and I have already tried games such as Farcry 3, Payday 2, Outlast, Minecraft, Skyrim, Black Ops 2.
Fow now, I have not any issues. The processor is great, the graphics card as well, and I absolutely love the screen. The only bad thing that I would like to point out is that on the left side of the Laptop, when playing games, it gets hotter than what I expected, but it`s still okay.
Something that I would like to recommend is to install the Nvidia graphics card drivers, this problem of the temperature reduces and some games become faster.
on July 13, 2015
Bought this laptop elsewhere, love its solid build, all aluminum, when you open the lid it resembles a mac, mine came with the bluray player/ writer, the sound is awesome considering its a laptop, the can like woofer improves the sound with some bass, the screen is great though its not HD..upgraded the ram to 16 gbs, 1 terrabyte is more than enough for me, though windows 8.1 is a bit slow when loading.
The laptop is a bit on the heavy side so its not one to be carried a lot ...i have it just for my desk..
Very pleased with this laptop, planning on upgrading the disc to ssd
on August 3, 2013
I'd really love to give this computer 5 stars. The screen is beautiful, the keyboard spacious, the speakers clear, the processor fast. Fairly light for the size. But it came with Windows 8, which has been a problem. Windows 8 from what I can tell is made primarily for touch screens, especially tablets. This ASUS isn't a touch screen, so you can't use Windows 8 the way it was designed. It all becomes clumsy to use. You're trying to mimic the swipes of a tablet with a touch pad...it just doesn't work smoothly.

Perhaps there's a way to put Windows 8 in a mode where it behaves more like Windows 7...If I figure out how to do that, perhaps I'll give this non-touch screen computer 5 stars. It's really great. Except for Windows 8.
on August 26, 2013
My friend at work recommended ASUS since he loves his ASUS laptop. He is a gamer so it is great for the graphics. I wanted a great quality laptop that would provide fast speed and have all the great high tech features. It is wonderful and worth every penny.
on August 12, 2013
Everyting is OK but the weight was more than I expected. Sound and picture are all good.
But the thin and weak printings on the each key are not very readable and identifiable. The light leaks out from the back lid keyboard, and therefore disturbs eye.
Otherwise It is a good laptop.
on June 11, 2013
To be honest I had reservations in buying a laptop online. Not being familiar with the name ASUS, I was very hesitant. So far, this laptop has performed well, I have no complaints. I did buy the extended warranty, if things keep working the way they do I wont need to have it. I would buy another ASUS again.