Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS R500A-RH51 16-Inch Notebook (Intel Core i5 3210M (2.50GHz), 4GB Memory DDR3 1600, 500GB HDD, 5400rpm DVD±R/RW, Intel HD Graphics 4000) Black
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on July 14, 2013
I had this laptop for about 5 days now and here's my thoughts...
Pros:
*The laptop looks beautiful and has a nice solid build to it.
*The keyboard is easy to use and it's just one of those keyboards that's fun to type on, kind of like the Apple brand keyboards.
*The touchpad is big and responsive to my movements.
*The webcam is the quality that you can expect from a webcam. It's not high quality but it doesn't have big pixels everywhere.
*The screen is big and shows images pretty clearly. Although it doesn't shows images in a fantastically clear and crisp way I have to remind myself that it's under $500.
*The same goes for the speakers. I can hear sound pretty clearly but not in an amazingly clear way.
*This computer wakes up from sleep in seconds. It also starts back on after being shut down in a very short amount of time and it restarts very quickly as long as there are no updates that are needed.
*An SD slot is included which I really enjoy.
*To be honest Windows 8 is kind of fun to work with so don't let the Windows 8 thing sway you from buying this laptop. There are plenty of videos on Youtube where you can learn how to operate Windows 8.

Cons:
*The mic doesn't pick up on sound as much as I would like it to. I don't know if it's a particularly low quality mic because I don't have any other mics to compare it with, but I'm pretty sure it is just of low quality. However it's not an issue large enough to give this laptop 4 stars.
*It's not a particularly fast laptop. Opening the apps on Windows 8 does take about 15 or so seconds to load. But again this computer is not too slow to the point where I drop the rating to 4 stars. It's about as much as you can expect from a laptop with 4GB and I don't mind...yet
*The IceCool thing that's supposed to keep the palm rest cool doesn't work well all the time. Right now it's about room temperature.
*I also don't like the swipe gesture they included on the touchpad. Whenever you swipe your finger from the left side of the touchpad towards the center then it switches to a different app. I find that extremely inconvenient and I don't know what idiot decided that it was an uncommon gesture

So yeah I'm still sticking to 5 stars. It's my first laptop and I love it. Having to use a touchpad didn't bother me (a person who always used a mouse). I hope I can post an update later on but that will be determined in the battle between productiveness and laziness. You can also check out my video on Youtube [...] if you want to see the physical aspects of it.

------UPDATE AUGUST 21, 2013------
The good:
*The laptop is still fast when I'm web-browsing
*When I went on a road trip, I never had problems connecting to wifi
*The computer still turns on and wakes up really quickly

The bad:
*The touch gestures installed on the laptop (gestures on the mousepad that allows you to scroll shrink pages and switch apps) do not always work. Actually, most of the time it doesn't work, so I feel like that is a lot of time and effort lost
*I noticed that the webcam does not capture motion well, so a video made with this webcam will have very blurry movements and little sound
*When I'm typing on Microsoft word, my hands frequently accidentally touch the mousepad so that the I'll suddenly begin typing where my mouse pointer is. This annoys me so much D:<
*Although I did receive a notification on the start menu that the laptop needed to shut down in order to upgrade, I did not expect that it will shut down all of a sudden without something popping up on the screen that I was using to tell me

BUT, I gotta say, it's still my baby and I love it. Windows 8 has revealed to me a lot of its flaws, but I'm still happy with my purchase.
review image review image review image
44 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2013
I turned to this laptop after Amazon could not deliver on my earlier ASUS choice. I am no techie, so will not go into the specs. All I can say is that I paid 20% less for more memory, and an I5 chip than I did two years ago for an I3
chip. Doubled the memory for $35 - well worth it. Unless you have specific requirements that dictate spending more,
I don't know why the average everyday user would need any more than this fine laptop. And the ASUS brand is tops
for quality and reliability. This is my fourth ASUS now and you can count me a happy customer.
on June 22, 2013
Wow, received in three days. Purchased for my two high school kids who easily and quickly learned Windows 8 operation. Fast boot up and great resolution. More than enough power and memory for internet searching, playing/streaming videos and music and doing homework. Should easily take my kids through high school without an upgrade for 3-4 years, if not longer. Will probably get a third laptop: this one's for me.
on May 10, 2014
I needed a laptop for school. something had processing power that could handle web browsing and basic word processing documents .For being a budget laptop with an i5 500GB a DVD drive 3 USB ports HDMI and Windows 8 all for around $500????
(I got mine for $450)
I am extremely pleased with this laptop.

but.... I do have some things I wished that were included. mind you, this is a BUDGET notebook, for all these features for the price at the time of purchase I could not find a better laptop.

the entire body is made from plastic,
its VERY sturdy,NOT cheap looking but it doesn't not have a metal look (for those who are concerned about aesthetics)

the intel HD 4000 graphics are INTEGRATED ,
meaning the i5, in this model, is the CPU and GPU. no dedicated graphics.Not impressive graphical performance, you will still be able to run SOME games at 30 FPS with LOW settings.

the chiclet keyboard is unsettling.
there is no satisfying click when pressing the keys, furthermore, the shift key needs to be pressed square and firmly in order to enable caps lock (example:entering passwords). when typing, some times keys won't register. NOT due to any malfunction, just the key board design. (keys need to be typed firmly)

the keyboard is not back lit. (that may be annoying for some)

NOT TOUCH SCREEN!!!
the installed operating system is Window 8. this OS is built around touchscreen input.

The cpu is i53210M
the processor launched in Q2'12 ( 2nd quarter, 2012.......yeah a processor from mid 2012) its a 3rd generation i5 processor.
A 4th generation i5 would have been alot better

despite the above mentioned shortcomings I listed, it is a solid laptop (technically its a notebook).
I am grateful for the reliability of the product.fast processing and very responsive.
AGAIN for the price of under $500 it is a solid deal. IF YOU WANT THE ABOVE MENTIONED, you are going to HAVE TO PAY MORE!!!!....
this laptop is more than adequate.
on June 8, 2013
This product shipped super fast and has been a great investment all around! Windows 8 is amazing the numerical keypad is very useful as well. I recommend this laptop to all!
on December 31, 2013
the asus 15.6 series is a rugged good looking laptop. I have been getting this same basic model for years now. and the hinges don't change, the keyboard is still the same and the power plug is still identical to every other asus laptop and EEE box i have bought in the last 4 years. no point in changing something that works so well. after buying 40 of these I am happy to continue buying them.
on January 31, 2014
This is my first ever laptop. Saying that, I'm not sure if my expectations were low or underdeveloped, but I really love this laptop. So far these are the Pros and Cons:
Pros:
Island Keyboard
Fast i5 Processor
500 GB HDD
2 USB 3.00 Ports

Cons:
No Graphics Card
CD writer Problem

There appears to be something wrong with the CD writer. I'm not really sure what the problem is, but it reads CDs and DVDs fine, but when I tried to make a CD, it never wrote by using the Windows Explorer/burner.
on November 5, 2013
When first received this laptop from ClearWaterBay through amazon, it was a rollercoaster. When I turned on my laptop it was glitchy, and noticed mouse pad issues. Later on saw that there was only 150gb of Memory on the hard drive (not the 500gb as listed from the specification page) so we had to re-partitioned the hard drive and it came out to be 450gb which was ideal. We weren't satisfied at first with the performance of the laptop in the beginning because we expected more. We wanted to return in back to ClearWaterBay, but the guys responded back very quickly and we were able to sort things out with them. They are really good people. And so, the more we use it the more we find it captivating. The technology works flawless afterwards and no kinks or glitches. It's fast, it's smooth, the mouse pad turned out to be the best mouse-pad I've ever seen (slick, smooth and responsive). With 500gb of hard drive, you can listen store a whole lot of data for this laptop, and 2 3.0 USB slots give tremendous transfer of data. Overall, this was a great product, very satisfied, and the team of ClearWaterBay helped us through. I recommend this product for anyone who is looking for a notebook/laptop for school, or everyday purpose for this amazing price.
on April 8, 2014
I'd suggest googling "ASUS r500a touchpad" before you buy this, and you'll find out about the problem I'm experiencing, apparently along with many other Asus owners. I've owned/used about a dozen laptops, so thought I knew what to expect, but I was unpleasantly surprised by this one. After a pretty steep learning curve with a wacky touchpad and wacky windows 8, I thought I was at least getting minimal functions but then the touchpad went, as others have described it, "spastic." It works intermittently and goes nuts the rest of the time. The laptop is still under warranty, but I'd rather just replace it than wipe off my personal information and send it back to Asus for repair. I loved my HP laptop that this one replaced, but just completely wore it out over many years (through use, travel, coffee spills, etc.). To replace the Asus, I'll return to HP.
on September 29, 2015
Display screen went out about 2 months after warranty ended. Had to order new one and replace myself witch cost me about $85 dollars. Other than that the performance has been ok.