on December 27, 2012
I bought this router(RT-N65U) a few months ago over the Asus RT-N56U (think that's the model) because the N65U has 2 USB3.0 ports instead of 2 USB2.0 ports since transfer rates would be higher if I to use an external hard drive of some sort. I also bought a Sandisk Extreme USB3.0 flash drive to use as an external drive on this router which works really well as a storage space within my home network. At first there were no problems with setup. Set it up as an access point and only needed to do a few tweeks and it was ready to go. The bios has a nice interface, very easy to use and menus are straight forward for someone who doesn't deal with routers much.

Design on the router looks nice, and lan works well. Router runs hot, but I think that's true for all routers. I see some people complaining that they are not getting good transfer rates when using an external hard drive with this router and that can be due to their own hard drive in their computer and/or external plugged into the router (correct me if I'm wrong). From what I read and if your hard drive does not support USB3.0 speeds (Meaning SATA III SSDs which mostly has over 400Mb read and write), you will never get that type of read and write speed regardless of how fast the connection. So copying files from your hard drive to the external connected to the router will be bottlenecked by your own hard drive and/or the external used(Again correct me if I'm wrong).

The router has a design flaw with the USB3.0 devices. I've checked online that using USB3.0 devices affect the 2.4ghz signals around it and since I'm using an USB3.0 flash drive as a storage drive on the router, my wifi has been hampered and keeps dropping when the drive in plugged in. Transferring files over wifi and even connecting my laptop over wifi has become a problem. Reading files off the drive while connecting to wifi has been unusable. When streaming the files from the drive, the shows would occasionally buffer for a very long time and sometimes can't even play the file due to the wifi dropping. I have tried using an USB2.0 flash drive to test if the same problem happens. Playing the same file from the USB2.0 flash drive, the file would load up quickly without any problems while keeping my wifi connection solid, but once USB3.0 flash drive is plugged in, the wifi drops right away.
Another thing I tried was while the USB3.0 flash drive was plugged into the asus router (a room away, about 30-40 feet), I would connect to another wifi router (3 floors up) within the house to see if the files have the same problem, but it turns out there were no problems playing the files while connected to another router even though the USB3.0 flash drive was plugged into the asus router.

Example - The ASUS router with no USB3.0 flash drive plugged in my wifi connection on the laptop would be 36Mb to 54Mb and with the USB2.0 flash drive plugged in the drive would stay the same. When USB3.0 flash drive is plugged in wifi would drop between 1.0Mb to 24.0Mb and never going pass that even though it shows that the device has full signal from the router.

Another problem arised after everything was set up was that the PS3 in my living room was not connecting to the router even though it's only a room away. I thought it might have been my PS3's setting problem. It detected the wifi and password was correct, but it just can't obtain the IP and everything, I tried my connecting to another router's wifi and my PS3 connected instantly (This router is 3 floors up too) so it must have been my Asus routers problem, but after a bit of reseting the router, my PS3 finally got connected to the Asus router, but occasionally I would still have problems connecting and even transferring data over wifi would be really slow. After unplugging the USB3.0 flash drive from the router, the PS3 would connect instantly and have no problems.

I have requested help from Asus support team and they told me to update the firmware which I have done. Wifi transferring has gotten a little better, but the wifi signal has become worse with occasional wifi drops when playing online games. I would get disconnected and sometimes the latency would increase so much the games are unplayable with 3-5 second lag spikes.

I have requested an RMA and hopefully get another router to test out to see if I really received a defect. Will also try other USB3.0 storage options to see if the problem is there after I receive a replacement from ASUS. I'm considering an USB3.0 SATA III enclosure with a ssd internal to see if the same problems happens like the flash drive. I have no tried any other brands of USB3.0 Flash drives, but I think this might be an USB3.0 problem instead of the flash drive since I tried an USB2.0 flash drive and other external storage devices.

*Edit* I received my RMA back recently and was able to test it. From the looks of router, there doesn't seem to be anything done to it. I just received the same one I shipped to them, with no documentations on what exactly was done. I tested it with my Sandisk USB and I'm having the same problems. Transferring over wifi is still very slow and streaming videos of the driver still buffers a lot. It's a hit or miss, sometimes I won't have any problems and next time I would buffer non-stop making watching anything impossible. So far quite unsatisfied with the RMA. Paid for shipping and doesn't seem like they did anything to it at all. Another problem that makes it more frustrating is that the laptop I have connected to the router through wifi, I get occasional drop signals (The wifi signal stops and then the connection disappears for like 30 seconds, meaning I don't see it as an option to connect to under network management). I'm going to try to get an USB 3.0 enclosure with an SSD and see how affects my wifi, but will have to wait till Samsung 840 Pro prices drop some more before I grab one.
4949 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 8, 2013
I specifically purchased this router because of it's 2 USB 3.0 ports. I plug in external drives with media for streaming. Unfortunately, I have since learned that USB 3.0 causes interference on the same band as the wireless, thus, the signal becomes unstable as long as any USB 3.0 device is plugged in. Had this not been the time that it is, today, a period in time where tech is rushed to market based on PROMISE rather than RELIABILITY, this would've shocked me. Sadly, this is the state of tech today. It is beyond me how something with such an obvious design flaw could be pushed upon the public. Without any USB 3.0 devices plugged in, the router works fairly well. Range is decent, speed is good, but seriously, when you advertise a key competitive feature, wouldn't it make sense to design it so it works???

10/23/13 - Update. Now there is a problem with the latest firmware. Once you update to it, it will no longer check for future updates through the web interface. You'll have to check manually on their site. Also, the release notes state that it now has the ability to run a Check Disk on an attached USB drive. You do not, this is false, and their Tech Support has been USELESS addressing either issue.

10/25/13 Update. I purchased a shielded USB 3 extender, and tried placing the drive down below, away from the router, but it appears the interference problem remains. I bought this one: B00A53229E
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 1, 2013
This otherwise excellent router has a huge flaw: the so-called guest network does NOT isolate users from the local network. When Asus says "intranet" they mean the router itself and its attached resources, not your local network. Here is how it breaks down:

AP Mode: Guest network is identical to regular network. Full access to local network resources and router.

Router Mode: Guest network now has block access to intranet button that appears. When checked, you cannot access the router (or shared drives, etc..) from the guest network. Access to any other local area resources (computers, servers, etc..) is NOT blocked and totally open. Any shared drives, printers, and the like are fully accessible.

So there are thousands of users out there with guest networks who think they are protected. Shame on Asus for such BS marketing. When people read "guest mode" they clearly expect a firewalled, isolated SSID that allows internet access and nothing else.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2012
This router rocks!

The only minor issue I encountered was a somewhat buggy bios when the unit arrived. Using the internal software, the unit happily downloaded and installed its own firmware update from Asus. After that, this unit has been an excellent upgrade to my network. You will notice an improvement over older technology almost immediately. I first noticed this during configuration, and when browsing around the web. Several games and apps that I had issues with hanging or lag disappeared.

I purchased this to replace my old D-Link Gamer Lounge wireless router, which served me well for many years. But this Asus router is leaps and bounds better than my old router. The LAN to WAN firewall speed is truly gigabit (my number 1 reason for the purchase), and you will notice it! My ISP is Comcast (Business class). The configuration within this unit identified this, and the simple configuration setup the router accordingly. Aside from that, all the customization I had to do to configure the unit to pass through service ports like FTP and what not, was a snap as well. As with any new piece of hardware, there is always something new to learn in terms of its menu layout. But, honestly I can say that this unit was really easy to figure out and get online in minutes (including the wireless security setup).

I would recommend this router to clients, friends, and my own family alike. If you do make the purchase, be sure to get the newest firmware first. You can do this in the Administration menu option, and firmware folder tab. As I said, this unit will hit the internet for you, grab the latest version from Asus, and install it by itself! After that, setup manually or using the routers built in easy setup is a snap, and has been an absolute pleasure to use.

Thanks for reading...
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2013
Asus does not support this product. They pushed an update to the media server application which failed and now the dlna features of the device do not work. This was one my main reasons to buy such an expensive router.

The problem is actually ASUS' servers and has affected everyone that was unlucky enough to click "update". Asus seems to refuse to acknowledge or fix the problem.

If you are affected by the same problem, please leave a proper review in order to get ASUS to take action, and to deter people from buying such a poorly supported, expensive router.
on May 12, 2013
Last year I purchased a Linksys E3200 router, which is fairly comparable in specs to this Asus RT-N65U. Not much detail needed - the E3200 was terrible. It suffered hardware and software issues and Linksys' solution was "buy a newer router" - the one firmware upgrade they released did not solve the issues with the 5ghz band. DD WRT open source firmware couldn't even get the right drivers for the 5ghz band to work.

On to the Asus N65U. Setup was a tiny bit of a hassle as it forces you to go with a lot of default settings. Had trouble reconnecting when it restarted and the router settings had trouble working in Firefox - had to switch to Chrome. Once I had the router setup the way I wanted, however, things have been blazing.

When the E3200 was working correctly, it pulled approx 22mbps on wireless, and about 35mbps wired (I pay for 35mbps from my ISP). The E3200 routinely dropped the 5ghz connection however, leaving me on the crowded 2.4 band pulling just 4-8mbps. This happened every day. So far after 7 days using the N65U I have experienced no drops, and the 5ghz band pulls an outstanding 30-33mbps on wireless and the same 35mbps on wired. Almost no loss over wireless - fantastic!

The only reason I give this router 4 stars is because of the slightly annoying setup process if you want to use advanced settings as well as I have been having some difficulty using the shared network drive feature. The permissions on the router do not seem to transfer to windows as seamlessly as with other routers.

Again, I have experienced no need as of yet to restart the router. No wifi drops. Outstanding wireless speeds. Very pleased with the Asus router. Will never purchase a Linksys again. Conclusively, the setup process was annoying if you prefer to use advanced settings rather than be forced to use the default, the network share features are a bit of a hassle, but the speeds and reliability are top tier. I definitely recommend this router.
on August 2, 2014
In theory by specification this should have been a great router, however I find it absolutely crap when it comes to actual performance with the ASUS firmware.

I initially purchased this as I was looking for a router with the following specifications:

1) A good 3g router
2) Gigabit Lan
3) Guest network capability.
4) Strong WIFI signal.

I straight away found that the ASUS original firmware was useless as the 3g didn't work at all for me. Tried ASUS support, and got absolutely no response whatsoever. Working as an IT consultant and having some knowledge with ASUS from before this didn't surprise me at all.

After spending some time on Google I found that it was possible to download and install custom firmware from the following url: https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/ in order to be able to use 3g. (Don't get confused by the URL, as you will find the FW for this RT-N65U there as well)

This custom FW has now given me a lifeline wrt. this Router, but I will never go ASUS again when it is time to buy a replacement.

On the good side the WIFI signal is extremely strong, while on the bad side the list of 3g/4g USB adapters are very limited.

My recommendation will therefore be for anyone to stay well clear of this router.
on December 2, 2014
Very disappointed in this router. Range has always been decent but had constant problems losing Internet connectivity. Sometimes I could rectify the problem by disabling my Wi-Fi and restarting it on the PC but generally speaking I had to cycle the power to the router itself. There were a few occasions where I actually had to do a factory reset. All of this happened within a year. I purchased a cheap $20 router for my workshop and ended up putting it in our house in place of the Asus. I have not touched that router in three months and I have had zero problems. I will think twice before buying another Asus networking product.
on June 10, 2014
When installing the unit for the first time it automatically checked for firmware updates and downloaded and installed its own firmware update from Asus. Indicator said "firmware updated, manually reboot router". I did that, powered off, re-powered it -- NOTHING -- won't connect using 192.168.1.1 from my browser. Tried reset button, couple more power downs -- it's bricked. Anyways after hearing about USB interference and Guest mode allowing access to all network shares, decided to RMA it and buy another brand.
on October 24, 2013
This router installed very easily and replaced a Cisco wireless router. While it worked It provided very good wireless coverage throughout a two story 2500 sq. ft. residence. It worked great for several weeks until last evening when the connection to the cable ISP at first became intermittent and then finally failed completely.
I reinstalled the Cisco router and that fixed the connectivity issue. Fortunately the three ASUS (EA-N66) Ethernet Adapters (bridges) that I had purchased along with the ASUS router seem to work seamlessly with the older Cisco router so I didn't have to reinstalled the older Linksys WAP-54G devices.
In two more days the warranty period would have expired and I would have been stuck with a useless router. I have requested a replacement in the hopes that a new ASUS router will fare better. Based on some of the feedback on this site I might be too optimistic.
I'll post my experiences with the replacement. If the replacement fails then I'll have to start looking for something else. I'm definitely keeping the old Cisco router just in case.

WOW!! Amazon had the replacement unit to me in 2 days. Great job Amazon! Put the replacement into operation today, Oct 26th 2013. The second installation went just as smoothly as the first. From unboxing to fully functioning within thirty minutes. This replacement unit already had the latest firmware installed. Now let's see if I encounter the infant mortality problem again.

This is Friday March 21, 2014: I just wanted to update this review to state that the replacement router has worked great for the last five months and there have been no further issues with it. I have increased my rating from three to five stars as I attribute the initial problem to an infant mortality which can happen with any complex electronic device.