Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chad Valley All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on June 13, 2013
I have had the Sabertooth Z87 for a few weeks now and I have absolutely no complaints. It is very well built, sleek, stays cool while gaming and has an enormous amount of neat features. The BIOS/UEFI is great and packed full of features and offers extreme features to overclock your CPU. There are two modes in the bios, easy and advanced. The easy mode is great if you need to constantly change boot devices and do basic things. The advanced mode has a ton of options that it can be overwhelming at first, but give it time and you'll see how nice it is. This board looks awesome in my lovely Corsair 650D! I can safely say that this is another outstanding motherboard from Asus and it will blow you away with the amount of features that it provides.

This motherboard comes with 8 SATA ports which is amazing and they are all SATA 6 Gb/s ports. The motherboard is SLI and Crossfire ready so you can stick two of your favorite cards in there and get awesome performance. This motherboard comes with the TUF third generation thermal armor which makes use of air cooling through a single fan that pushed cool air to the internal electrical components. It's a nice way to cool the components in the computer. With three mouse clicks you can get your CPU running in 4.6Ghz in no time. I recommend this motherboard to all the enthusiasts who want the best of the best.

Also, a great feature that this motherboard has that I like very much is the process of updating the bios. There's no need to have a CPU, memory, or GPU in the motherboard to update your bios. All you have to do is simply plug in a compatible bios and press the tiny little button that's near the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the motherboard and it will automatically update it. This motherboard comes with caps that go over the ports to prevent dust getting in them which I think is pretty neat. I usually get a lot of dust in unused ports in my motherboards so this is great for me.

I'm currently running my 4770K at 4.6Ghz using 1.34 volts and the temps stay below 85c. I tried running it at 4.8Ghz like I did with my 3770K (delidded) but the temps go well over 90c so it's not 24/7 stable. I'm using an H100i from Corsair to overclock my CPU and it keeps it relatively cool at this frequency. It's a great motherboard if you want to achieve crazy high overclocks. This motherboard has everything that you want to achieve high overclocks and it's without a doubt one of the best looking motherboard on the market. This motherboard has a back-plate shield which makes this a very sturdy motherboard and quite sexy.

Haswell runs hotter when overclocked compared to Sandy Bridge and a tiny bit worse than Ivy Bridge. Reaching 4.6-4.8Ghz might be easy to accomplish with this motherboard but you'll need volts in the range of 1.35~1.45 so be prepared for a lot of heat and proper liquid cooling because you will need it. The only negative I can think of is the AI Suite 3 which is nice but very buggy at the moment, crashes a lot if you try to change some settings. I'm sure Asus will update it. If you have any questions about the motherboard then just leave a comment here and I'll be more than happy to reply.

-High quality components
-A ton of SATA3 ports
-Easy to Overclock
-Good VRM cooling
-Sexy color scheme

Overall, I highly recommend the Asus Sabertooth Z87 motherboard to anyone who is looking to get the best Asus motherboard that is socket LGA 1150 and wants to achieve high overclocks with their Haswell CPU. I'm currently running my brand new 4770K at 4.6Ghz without a hassle thanks to this motherboard. If you plan on upgrading to a Haswell CPU then this is the motherboard to get!

If you guys are interested in reading my review of the 4770K then just search for 4770K on Amazon and it's the first review listed there.

My full rig:

Case: Corsair 650D
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K (still experimenting)
PSU: Corsair AX850
Ram: Kingston 16GB of RAM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
OS: Windows 7 64bit
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 5, 2013
This motherboard works as good as it looks. It looks and feel military grade. It has no flex due to the steel plate on the bottom. It fits perfectly in the case and it is very well laid out. It has more accessories that a Vegas show girl. But the best part is the ease of setup and the thought that went into this board. My favorite feature (which I am happy to say I didn't not have to use) is the button on the board that when pressed, will try and determine the correct DDR3 setting for thee RAM you installed if it fails POST boot. The GUI BIOS are a great new feature and no doubt where the industry will be heading. There are no BIOS updates yet, but they give you 3 ways to flash them including booting from the bios and simply sticking in a flash drive with the file on it. No more booting to a floppy, CD or thumb drive!

This was by far the easiest and most trouble free PC build I have ever done and I have done many. I am into this new build 3 days now and could not be happier. My fastest reboot time so far, from clicking on restart to a sign on screen was about 20 seconds. Yes I have a i7 4th Gen, and SSD drive and 32 GB of RAM, but some boards like my Gigabyte GA-X58 with similar config took forever to POST. Some MB makers are better than others are eliminating unnecessary boot up checks, like seeking every USB device as Gigabyte does. Asus nailed this and POST is the fastest I have ever seen at just a few seconds. It actually boots faster than some virtual machines on industrial grade servers we have at work where POST isn't an issue.

I could not be more pleased at this point except for one thing. I really didn't need or want to build a new system, but my wife spilled water into the top of my old one. Smoke and a lot mumbling followed. But everything was backed up, so all is well . . .

7/7/2013 Update:
A few days into using this build I noticed some instability with devices plugged into the USB3 ports. I found an updated USB driver on the Asus website that seems to have fixed the issue. Note this MB has only been out for a few weeks but the USB driver on the CD is 5 versions back from 8 months before.

Also I notice the PC boots so fast, under ten seconds from being turned off to a sign on screen, that the keyboard and mouse don't respond for another 5 to 10 seconds. There is a feature in the BIOS to seek USB devices before the OS loads that is turned off by default. You can turn it on but may increase boot time and avoid this issue.

8/3/2013 Update:

I still have intermittent problems with my USB3 devices but only after a reboot. My PC is on 24/7 so it's not a big deal. But when I do reboot I never know if my unattended backups to either of my USB3 drives are going to work. Its a 50/50 deal. Luckily I get a warning when the backup fails. Once I run a successful backup its problem free until the next reboot. Looking at some of the other posts it looks like this USB3 issues is an ongoing and common problem along with sleep mode. I never use sleep mode and I can live with the USB3 issues. My Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R with an i7 used to blue screen from sleep mode also. I was never able to resolve that either.

One last thought. The new I7 Haswell 4770K runs pretty hot. It Idles about 37C to 39C and gets close to 80C while rendering HD video using the on board graphics and stock heat sink and fan. When I first put the system together, one of the push pins on the heat sink wasn't fully seated and the temps climbed to the high 90s when loaded but the system never stopped. However the BIOS would not let the system start with a temp above 80C, which I think is a good idea. If you are over clocking, you will need an much better cooling solution! But this is a CPU issue, not a MB issue.

Still no regrets! Great board!.

After continued USB3 drive issues I decided to do some testing. My Western Digital Essentials 3TB (1140) drive was the one I was having all the issue with. It got to the point where the drive became unusable with this PC build, but worked fine on any other PC I tested it on. That would lead you to believe this is a MB problem. However I went to the WD website and found a new firmware update for the drive. I updated it from V 3.01 to V 3.22 (21 revisions?) and presto, the drive now works perfectly even after reboot. So it seems that it has always been a drive incompatibility problem and not so much a MB problem. I am now 100% happy with this board.

PS: As of today there are several BIOS updates available for this board on the Asus website. Latest V 1405 relaesed 8/29/2013. Asus is very sparce on detail of what their BOIS updates fix, so if you are not having any problems, stay with the version you have. However always update to the latest BIOS before a fresh build or when reinstalling the OS.
on July 15, 2013
As a system builder for the last three years I have encountered motherboards from various companies. I was always impressed though with the Sabertooth z77 board that had go into my favourite custom build. So when it was time to build a machine for my personal use (my last machine being about nine years old) I decided on the z87. I could not have made a better decision. To start I was very conscious about dust and it's effect on the longevity of any PC. This mobo not only protects the surface of the board but every I/O port with easily removable (though not by any means slack)plastic guards. Additionally it is designed to run as coolly as possible with two assist fans that direct the airflow under the protective shielding around the CPU. Add to that its stylish military aesthetic, best in class bios and a suite of utilities that not only add functionality but are also easy to use and you have the makings of a truly great motherboard. I recommend this to any enthusiast looking for a motherboard with all of the bells and a unique array of whistles for their project.

Mobo - Asus Sabertooth z87
CPU - Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.0GHz
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB @ 1600MHz
Graphics Card - EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked
PSU - Corsair AX750
Primary Drive - Samsung 840 SSD 256GB
OS - Windows 8 64bit
review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 17, 2013
This motherboard is great.
Fairly affordable, very sleek, and tons of features!

Thanks to the new chipset, there are a lot more native SATA ports that are ALL 6 gb/s!
The motherboard is great for SLI and Crossfire. It's UEFI is great, user friendly, and easy to explore around.

Dust caps are included, and a huge 5 year warranty! This thing is truly TUF.
Again, nice job Asus. Wonderful, excellent motherboard, outstanding support, and I can't wait what what else I can do with it.

Overclocking is easy with this board. I can easily overclock the 4770k along with two 770s and it works beautifully.
Great room for expansion and future upgrades, this board will last you a long time in the future!
I was able get a rather safe and painless overclock in under 30 minutes of tweaking, and testing for a day. Got around 4.3ghz @ adaptive voltage.

My build:
Case: Corsair 650D
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
CPU: i7 4770k
Cooler: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler
RAM: Corsair Dominator 32GB 1866mhz (4 x 8)
Storage: 1x Western Digital 2TB Green, 1x 120GB Samsung 840 Series SSD
GPU: Dual SLI GTX 770 EVGA Superclocked w/ACX Cooling
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000GW 1000W Gold Rated Powersupply Fully Modular

Edit: 8/18. My motherboard died a month ago and had it replaced within a few weeks, no charge!
The board still preforms great and bring a plethora of features to use in the UEFI!

Edit: 11/9. Replied to some comments-- was late because I never noticed I got them until I checked them today; no email notification. Anyways.. I successfully made my PC a Hackintosh without much work! Pretty easy to do, and my system works great. Will continue to answer replies if relevant.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 15, 2013
I like this motherboard because its got plenty of room for SLI and fans. I just think the whole "Armor" thing was a bad idea. It takes up more space in my case than it should, making some connections (cpu water cooler) difficult to pull off. I would have good with the Pro version because its a little cheaper and comes with wifi and blue tooth. Other than that its a great board, the bios is easy to use and overclock with. It looks pretty cool too.

Also, do yourself a favor, don't install the little assist fans. They are loud and annoying
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2013
Ordered this board to go with my Core i7-4771 CPU. Honestly the looks and the fact that it comes with all of the dust covers to keep all of the dust out the extra slots/ports was one of the reasons I chose to go with this board. I got my board and CPU and the rest of the gear I needed and proceeded to install everything. I was dismayed to find this board is definitely some assembly required. I expected the assistant fans, etc., to be installed already. This is not the case. You have to do quite a bit more assembly with this board as opposed to a conventional setup. Make sure you have screw drivers that are skinny near the tip as there is a small hole in a pretty deep amount of plastic to secure the board to the case.

It probably took about 15 minutes more than usual to get all of the extra stuff in place and I get the box closed up and get everything hooked up and hit the power button and nothing. I was using an appropriate power supply that was working fine on my old system, but I pulled out my power supply tester anyway and tested it. It tested fine and I was getting power LED, but nothing happened when I hit the power or hit the button on the board to turn it on. I checked Asus' site and since I was getting no post beeps at all and a power LED, it recommends to RMA the board. Since I just got it, I did a return through Amazon which was hassle-free as usual.

I had to go buy some more thermal paste since the stuff that came on the stock heatsink was now useless due to having to move my CPU to the new board, but I got everything put back together again. Since I went through this once before it went much faster this time to figure out what all needed to be assembled. This time I powered up and everything worked great and has worked great since.

I have had zero issues with this CPU and board along with EVGA GTX780 Superclocked and 32GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 RAM. I do not overclock at all and use the stock heatsink/fan so I cannot attest to the suitability and stability for overclocking or aftermarket heatsinks fitting in to this board. I can say that my system has been rock solid under Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

So back to all of the armor/accessories. After the initial pain of getting it all installed/set up, I am really glad that I went with this board. I like how only the ports I use on the back of my computer are exposed and all of the rest have plugs/covers in place. I even have two of the USB port covers in the front of my case to keep dust out of there. The board looks sharp and everything stays nice and cool. I like that there are plenty of connectors for fans and accessories (front panel i/o and additional rear panel connectors optionally and separately installed).

Another nice touch is the stickers/decals included. I don't personally put them on my case, but they are nice to have.

Overall, this is a good value and really, really looks cool to show off if you are in to that sort of thing. Sure it was irritating to get one DOA and it would have been nice to be more assembled out of the box, but I am happy with the end result. So why is this a 4 stars instead of five? The bottom line is I got a defective board. Sure it happens to every manufacturer, but I have been an avid Asus supporter (several boards, video cards, monitors, a laptop, and a tablet that's on the way purchased) and have never had a defective product so I expect the highest quality. Maybe you wouldn't take off a star for that, but I do.
on November 26, 2013
This motherboard definitely preforms well. That's where the pros end.

Since I got the motherboard I was never able to boot directly into Windows (secure boot on/off, UEFI install of Windows or not, GTP or MBR) which was annoying considering Windows 8 by default likes to reboot all by itself. I tried different drives from SSDs (OCZ and Samsung) to HDD (Western Digital to Samsung). I simply couldn't get it to work. For me this meant I couldn't run a lab on my machine, as it would always be down when I wanted to use it remotely.

Then I upgraded to the newer BIOS (1603) and then things got really bad. I could no longer boot into Windows with my RAID in tact (secondary RAID 0 and not part of my SSD setup) so I lost a bunch of data. My primary SSD drops connection. The board is useless.

I may simply have received a bad one, so I'm going to try to RMA. To be continued...

Update: Changing my star rating and giving a big props to Asus tech support. This motherboard has a weird issue with some keyboards (apparently its very rare). I unplugged my Alienware keyboard and the motherboard started booting directly into Windows. Their support is really great. I popped open a chat window and within 5 minutes I had someone that clearly knew what they were doing. Good job Asus. You definitely saved a customer!
on July 8, 2013
My computer has the following components

Intel i7 4770K
EVGA Nvidia 660 GTX
16 GB Kingston Hyper X ram
2 X 1TB Western Digital black HD
1 TB Western Digital Blue HD (Backups)
Cooler Master Case (HAF 922) and Heat-sink (212 EVO)
OS: Linux Mint 15

Overall building a computer with this board was easy. Unlike most I am not using this system for gaming (hence the lower end video card). I primarily use my computer for scientific computing. I have not had any stability issues since setting up the system with this board. The BIOS were intuitive and easy to configure. In the two weeks I have been running it, it has been on almost the entire time continuously with a heavy processing load and there have been no issues.

Overall I would recommend this board to anyone who does not need older features such as the ability to use a PCI card. For me it works great.

I have now been running this system for over 6 months and have had issues and am very happy with my systems stability. The motherboard is working great even under nearly continuous load for 6 months. I was running computationally intensive Bayesian models on my computer which often took weeks at a time to complete with my processor running at around 50% most of the time.

I have also upgraded my operating system to Linux Mint 16 and made a number of other changes in the last 6 months. When upgrading my system I have found the motherboards interface to be easy to use.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2014
This motherboard is based off of the Haswell Z87 Chipset which means it will only work with the 4th generation of intel processors. When you get the board, it comes in a well packaged box with instructions on everything the motherboard has to offer.
Motherboard has great 5-year warranty, longest I've seen on a motherboard.
Great looking board with the option of having it naked or covered with the "thermal armor"
Superior built back plate that adds extra rigidity of the board, great for also holding, as you aren't touching the PCB.
It has 8 SATA 3 6Gigabyte ports, half of which are from the Intel Z87 Chipset, and the other have is from an ASMedia card. I suggest using the native intel ports, to know which ports are native just look at the wonderfully documented manual.
3 PCIE X16 slots, 2 are pcie 3, the last one on the bottom is pcie 2. 3 PCIE X1 Slots.
Cons: These are small gripes, not enough to really make them a problem but:
Included assist fans are a little noisy, I suggest not using them.
You have to have compatible RAM sticks, I had to replace mine with some nice matching Corsair Vengeance 16gb(2x8) Sticks. You can also go to ASUS's online website and go to the motherboards page, you can get a list of certified RAM.
Overall this motherboard is a great long lasting, value oriented, and full of features motherboard.
on September 5, 2013
Bought this as part of a new build. I love it. The overclocking support is awesome, and when you go too far (and your rig refuses to boot) the mobo backs off the changes and drops you back into UEFI setup. And during initial boot, LEDs light up to tell you if there are any problems with your system (proc, RAM, GPU, etc) that will interfere with a clean boot.

I haven't benchmarked the USB3 support but it is faster than when I have attached to it (high-speed SD and CF camera cards).

Also like the temp monitoring support. When installed in my favorite case (a Fractal Designs Define R4) being able to turn down the fans automatically during non-gaming operation means this thing is so quiet I sometimes can't tell that it's on.

The little motherboard fans are a bit odd, but they work well and they do seem to keep the system cooler. You will want to carefully read the instruction manual BEFORE assembly so that you get these into the right slots in the right way.

I highly recommend this motherboard and would buy it again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...