4.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Bought In Years
I had pretty much come to the conclusion that you couldn't buy a DVD/CD burner anymore that lasted more than a few hundred burns before it burned itself out. I've bought LG, Samsung, Sony, HP, and a few others and they would all start having problems after burning 300-400 discs.

Published on June 29, 2011 by dclk

1.0 out of 5 stars Lack of quality customer service and support.
Published 8 months ago by Mr.Ricno

4.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Bought In Years, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) (Personal Computers)

I've had this drive for several months now and have burned about 800 CD and DVDs and it is still going strong. None of the problems I've had with other drives not reading a certain format of disc or a certain disc type, while it would still read others.

A few of the other drives I've had, got where they would only burn CDs and wouldn't burn DVDs. Others would do just the opposite. This drive will still burn any kind of disc and any format with no problems. It might die tomorrow but this is the best drive I've bought in years.

The only down side to this drive and the reason I only gave it 4 stars, is that it has something built into the firmware that does not allow a CD or DVD encryption breaking program to run. If you have it installed and try to use the drive it locks up your computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, March 13, 2011
Using it on a Windows XP computer. No problems installing, no problems burning, burn speeds are great. Overall a great value and a great burner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Burnermax, April 7, 2013
I bought this DVD burner in hopes that I could use burnermax payload tool. Well to my surprise it works! The DVD burner I received is burnermax payload capable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lack of quality customer service and support., October 22, 2013
Our Business has been successfully building computers for just over fifteen years. We often have used various products from ASUS and there products are good quality. Unfortunately if you ever have to contact support then watch out. Beware if you need a defective product replaced AKA RMA the process is slow and lacking details or information. If you want fast processing and shipping (RMA processing under three weeks just for your replacement to ship) you will need to use a credit card, ASUS will not tell you the amount that will be charged or when the product will ship or how long it will take to get the order ready for shipping. It is almost impossible to get any response in under several days and many of the responses are lacking the information requested. The products are good the support is very, very bad. I do not understand how ASUS is still in business with the complete lack of quality customer support.

Best Regards,

Richard Richter

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice while it lasted., January 11, 2012
Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black)I have had mixed success with other hardware that Microsoft Web site says will install on Windows 7 64bit. I was pleased that this DVD Writer installed automatically. It initially worked perfectly. However, I only use the DVD Writer occasionally to rip CDs, burn movies and install software, and I used this drive about 30 times when it stopped working. Now it will not open or close. All it does is hum for a few seconds when the computer boots up and when the button is pressed. To add to that, ASUS did not reply to my e-mail about the problem. My initial 5 star rating is now 1 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, January 11, 2012
If you need a cheap drive get this one, it works great! I almost feel that I should of paid more being that it is Asus, anyway installs easy and works well with windows7 64bit.
Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, read and write without errors, June 17, 2014
My original DVD Rewriter which came with my year old computer recently started having problem writing full length videos. It started to give "fail to write" errors using Nero Express, Windows Movie Maker or Image Burn. At first I thought it was my DVD media but even with the best ones, it was frequently giving this error. So I replaced it with this Asus and now I do not have this error. I hate to waste things so I went to my garage and retrieved my DVD discs that I threw away into a bin to be recycled. To my surprise, I can now even use these "bad" discs and write data without error, even though some are dirty and dusty(of course cleaned them first). This Asus DVD drive is fast, quiet and accurate. And the price is surprisingly affordable. Very satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not everything is included, April 13, 2014
Where the drive works great so far, it didn't come with the SERIAL ATA SATA cables required for installation. I had to disconnect one of my hard drives so that i could install this. I've since ordered additional cables so I don't come across this issue in the future. Not a big deal because they are so cheap but it would have been nice to have that included (especially since they are inexpensive) so you don't have to submit an additional order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a low price, March 24, 2014
T. Q. TRAN (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Solid drive. Burns double layer just fine. I was looking for something with LightScribe, but ended up getting this one instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but, January 30, 2014
I got this from third party seller acumen disk (fulfilled by Amazon) for around 21 bucks, which is a decent deal for the drive. Keep in mind that this did not include any burning software of any type, so you will have to find something you prefer to use from the net. The sata connections connected easily and without any issues and seems to work ok enough. My only issue is that for some reason, the drive will not install the latest firmware for the drive as it does not recognize it as the proper drive. The drive says it has firmware version one and ASUS website says version 1.03 is the latest from about 3 years ago. Not sure if this an issue with the firmware or that the drive (it says it was made in November 2013 on the sticker on the drive) was manufactured after that firmware and it has the latest installed. There is an *I* designator as part of the model which I am not sure what it means unless that means it is an "I" generation drive.

Other than that it is a good drive so far and is 4 stars.

Rate and Discover Movies