1,071 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Bought In Years
I had pretty much come to the conclusion that you couldn't buy a DVD/CD burner anymore that lasted more than a few hundred burns before it burned itself out. I've bought LG, Samsung, Sony, HP, and a few others and they would all start having problems after burning 300-400 discs.

Published on June 29, 2011 by dclk

1.0 out of 5 stars Lack of quality customer service and support.
Published 12 months ago by Mr.Ricno

4.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Bought In Years, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) (Personal Computers)

I've had this drive for several months now and have burned about 800 CD and DVDs and it is still going strong. None of the problems I've had with other drives not reading a certain format of disc or a certain disc type, while it would still read others.

A few of the other drives I've had, got where they would only burn CDs and wouldn't burn DVDs. Others would do just the opposite. This drive will still burn any kind of disc and any format with no problems. It might die tomorrow but this is the best drive I've bought in years.

The only down side to this drive and the reason I only gave it 4 stars, is that it has something built into the firmware that does not allow a CD or DVD encryption breaking program to run. If you have it installed and try to use the drive it locks up your computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, March 13, 2011
Using it on a Windows XP computer. No problems installing, no problems burning, burn speeds are great. Overall a great value and a great burner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lack of quality customer service and support., October 22, 2013
Our Business has been successfully building computers for just over fifteen years. We often have used various products from ASUS and there products are good quality. Unfortunately if you ever have to contact support then watch out. Beware if you need a defective product replaced AKA RMA the process is slow and lacking details or information. If you want fast processing and shipping (RMA processing under three weeks just for your replacement to ship) you will need to use a credit card, ASUS will not tell you the amount that will be charged or when the product will ship or how long it will take to get the order ready for shipping. It is almost impossible to get any response in under several days and many of the responses are lacking the information requested. The products are good the support is very, very bad. I do not understand how ASUS is still in business with the complete lack of quality customer support.

Best Regards,

Richard Richter

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice while it lasted., January 11, 2012
Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black)I have had mixed success with other hardware that Microsoft Web site says will install on Windows 7 64bit. I was pleased that this DVD Writer installed automatically. It initially worked perfectly. However, I only use the DVD Writer occasionally to rip CDs, burn movies and install software, and I used this drive about 30 times when it stopped working. Now it will not open or close. All it does is hum for a few seconds when the computer boots up and when the button is pressed. To add to that, ASUS did not reply to my e-mail about the problem. My initial 5 star rating is now 1 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Burnermax, April 7, 2013
I bought this DVD burner in hopes that I could use burnermax payload tool. Well to my surprise it works! The DVD burner I received is burnermax payload capable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, January 11, 2012
If you need a cheap drive get this one, it works great! I almost feel that I should of paid more being that it is Asus, anyway installs easy and works well with windows7 64bit.
Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for digital audio extraction, January 3, 2014
Todd Pytel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
After some research, I purchased this drive purely for high-end digital audio extraction from CD's and I'm extremely happy with it for that purpose. It has a solid C2 implementation that gets you fast, accurate rips (as evidenced by AccurateRip checks and matching Exact Audio Copy CRC's). Of course, no drive can help if a disc is damaged enough, but this one produces consistent rips on minor dings that produced CRC mismatches on my regular DVD drive. It also has a very small read offset (6) for the rare cases where you want to avoid clipping a few frames of data on the last track of a disc. Like any drive produced in modern times, it can't overread into the lead-in or lead-out areas - you'd need to dig up some ancient Plextor for that, probably paying a ton of money for one in good shape, and then have to deal with interface issues. I'm not *that* dedicated. For a cheap, modern drive that you can actually buy now, this does a great job.

I can't comment on any other features of the drive - the other 500+ reviews should cover general usage and compatibility well enough. I have a different DVD writer for general use and only use this one for extraction.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, July 21, 2014
The optical drive would not open. I had to send it back for a refund.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 25, 2014 1:41:20 PM PDT
Dear Denise,

I am sorry to hear that your returned your drive before I have the chance to assist you. Should you need any assistance in the future, please email me at CL-Scott1@asus.com and place case # N140733426 in the subject line.

Thank you for choosing an ASUS product.

Regards,

Scott
ASUS Customer Loyalty

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Easy, Just what you Would Expect or Want from a DVD Writer, September 11, 2014
Simple fast DVD writer from Asus. There is nothing special to report, it was a good price, it does exactly what you would expect and gives you ZERO problems. What more could you ask for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive, Salvaged Failing Media, October 10, 2014
Many positive reviews here as to the quality and longevity of the drive so I'd like to focus on another really pleasant surprise I had with this drive. It reads discs of various quality and age very, very well. Maybe the best I've seen in a drive. About 10 years ago I started making DVD backups and over time I moved most stuff to back up hard drives and Carbonite as necessary. I left most of my FLAC audio on DVDs and was very disappointed to find that of the 200 DVDs I had burned many had started failing. I tried these "bad" DVDs on several drives, including a Pioneer, Sony, Dell and others and most wouldn't read at all or would partial read. Just popped this in earlier this week and so far every one was readable with only a few that took a while but eventually were able to be copied. That's basically what good quality control on the laser assembly does, this thing is dialed in and can compensate for the poor tolerances of some DVDs and aged media.

I've had great luck with ASUS on RMAs and warranty replacement too so my advice is that you really cant go wrong with this drive. Highly recommended