5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great
Published on February 15, 2011 by De Wiser

The manufacturer commented on the review below
It looked good out of the box but mine showed signs of poor quality control with 7 dead red and blue pixels.

Be sure to load up an all black screen and check it for random dots when you first get a monitor to see if you got a lemon.

Published 22 months ago by MJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Asus VE228H 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor with Integrated Speakers (Personal Computers)
The five stars was for video appearance. Also HDMI was a must along with the 100MM mounting screws. Audio gets one star, all you can say is it has speakers. Owners manual one star, a waste of paper. You just need to get into Menu and poke around till you figure it out. Led runs very cool. Rebate procedure is a pain. Hardly worth the $10. I wouldn't recommend applying for it. I would purchase again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't be beat for the price!, January 5, 2011
I was hesitant to buy a monitor online with the risk for damage and dead pixels, but I took a chance on this and boy I'm glad I did. Beautiful 1080p picture, LED, no dead pixels, and no ghosting. Connected easily to my laptop with the included VGA cable and my Xbox 360 looks phenomenal over HDMI. Much better viewing angles than my laptop screen and the headphone jack works for both my laptop and 360 without having to change inputs.

The menu buttons are a bit clunky, but after the initial setup you won't need to deal with this very much. Overall a great monitor that is a steal for only $150.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Monitor for the price, February 15, 2011
I wasn't interested in buying a monitor, until I happened to see this one online by chance and read the reviews for the product in Newegg. I was so fascinated by this monitor that eventually with in a day I bought this one with 1 days shipping. I am very happy to have this monitor. The picture is crystal clear and the contrast ratio is amazing. I have been using this in Standard mode till now and even when I reduced the brightness level to 20%, this monitor looks great. No dead pixels in my monitor and thanks to Asus for that. The best part of this monitor other than the clarity is that, it is priced way below its competitors. I don't have to look for some other monitors, if u are looking for a monitor of 22" and best in the market. I have connected my desktop with HDMI to this monitor and picture quality is damn good. I keep looking at the monitor and appreciate my purchase myself lol...
Bottomline: If you are looking for a High Quality Monitor for the lowest price in the 20" category, then this is the right choice for you. Don't even have to think about this twice.
Enjoy folks

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars 7 Dead Pixels Including 2 Bright Red Ones Right In The Center Of The Screen, August 30, 2012

UPDATE: I sent it back for a replacement but ASUS sent it back claiming there were no dead pixels. This was after emailing them back and forth for a week telling them to bring up a black screen which made the bright red dead pixels in the center of the screen blaringly apparent. They still sent it back, so obviously their employees in manufacturing and in the returns departments are blind.

I'm now stuck with this monitor that I can't even sell on ebay because no one wants to stare at a monitor with bright red pixels in the center of the screen.

I ended up getting an HP monitor which has worked great. HP has a strict no dead pixels policy. I won't be buying any more ASUS products. The last few motherboards I've gotten from them have been a little less than stellar also such as the network card that died on one and the placement of SATA connections on another that makes it so you have to use tweezers to disconnect the cables.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Sep 4, 2012 4:07:44 PM PDT
Dear MJ,

I am sorry your VE228H monitor had so many defects out of the box. You can certainly send it to us at ASUS as it is covered under warranty. If you have not yet contacted either Newegg or ASUS, you can reach me at cl-jeremy@asus.com (ref#1043-4002).

Regards,
Jeremy
ASUS Customer Loyalty

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Looking display, August 23, 2011
Pros: Excellent display, looks fantastic!
has HDMI,DVI,VGA inputs.
built in speakers. Not loud enough for gaming.

Cons: The worst screen adjustment menu I have ever used.(manual is no help)
Hopefully only have to adjust screen settings once.
No height adjustment. It does tilt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be more pleased..., March 12, 2011
What a fantastic monitor for the price! Hook up was fast and easy. If you are not into the more in-depth mechanics (which I'm sure this has), there was removable sticker that said "splendid, try me", and if you push the button it lets you choose screen mode, which changes the colors a bit...you can choose Game Mode, Night View Mode, Scereny Mode, Standard Mode, and Theater Mode. It makes it easy for people like myself who are afraid to go and change colors and contrasts and mess things up and not know how to fix it. I can alter the colors and brightness, and still get it right back to standard mode. The colors are bright and vibrant, clear and crisp screen, no dead pixels. It was packaged well. The Asus box inside of a much larger box with those bubble plastic packages for protection. I am a very hesitant shopper and the absence of buyers remorse feels great! I highly recommend this product to other Amazon shoppers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but an excellent bargain, July 26, 2011
As many have already covered, this is a great monitor for its price range.

Something to be aware of is that it does not have great vertical viewing angle, despite its advertised specifications.
Using the monitor calibration site, lagom.nl, here's their test for viewing angle:

EDIT: Amazon isn't allowing url's in my review. So here's an attempt to post the missing link, just replace " dot " with "."
The viewing angle calibration page is at:
www dot lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

When using the "Lagom test" above for the ASUS VE228H, the results are exactly like the screenshot they provide as the bad example. although to be fair, the site also mentions that such a result is typical. This result affects the other tests on that site as well, in particular the gamma calibration which has different results depending on the angle of the screen or the height of your head.

What this means is that brightness levels have a noticeable change as you bob your head up and down in front of the ASUS monitor, even with a slight motion. I found this very distracting/worrisome while creating art.
It is, however, miles better than my laptop's built in screen, and performs well in other tests on that site such as the contrast test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent so far, March 7, 2011
This monitor is definitely amazing. I have had this monitor for a few weeks now. No dead pixels. Bright clear picture. Once you get the hang of the menu it is smooth sailing. I use this monitor for gaming via DVI to my PC and for watching movies/TV programs via the HDMI cable plugged into my cable box.
Only con I can see is the speakers are weak. I use my own speakers so it really isn't an issue with me.

I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Monitor, April 7, 2011
I bought two of these monitors for my new computer system. They arrived promptly from Amazon and were very easy to set up. There were no dead pixels on either monitor, and I am extremely pleased with them. I'd recommend these to anyone looking for relatively inexpensive monitors.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rich audio... no, it's not rich, it's downright terrible, February 4, 2014
The Amazon sales page claims "Built-in stereo speakers for rich audio quality while saving space"

Sorry ASUS, you need to be honest and truthful with your advertising claims. You are well aware the speakers on this monitor are absolutely horrid. My cell phone has louder speakers than this monitor. In fact, I question whether they are actually 1 watt speakers. I've learned my lesson, guys. I hope you do, too.

Rate and Discover Movies