4.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor for a Great Price
Just got it a couple of weeks ago and so far I'm very happy with it. The screen is bright and beautiful (LED technology) and it comes with an HDMI connection. And all the specs are good.

Published on January 10, 2011 by Dattucha

2.0 out of 5 stars Inverse ghosting
Published on December 27, 2011 by G. Carter

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor for a Great Price, January 10, 2011
Dattucha (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus VE247H 24-Inch Full-HD LED Backlight LCD Monitor with Integrated Speakers (Electronics)

As always, the built-in speakers are completely useless - sound like crap (I still don't get why they even bother putting it in). I gotta say the vertical viewing angle is not the greatest (looking up at the screen is slightly darker...looking down at it brighter). But then again it's very much a standard for monitors in this price range.

In the end, there's one thing you have to keep in mind: while it's probably one of the very best monitors you can get for under $200 (if not THE)...it's not exactly the best monitor money can buy. Having done my research, the ones starting $400-$500 range are basically in a different ballpark. So you pretty much get what you pay for. And in this case, for this price, you get PLENTY...in fact WAY MORE than you ever could before. So if you're cool with not having "the best" for now...and need a good monitor for cheap - this is the one. For sure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inverse ghosting, December 27, 2011
Type VE247H into google and one of the suggested completions will be 'ghosting fix'. This monitor uses something called "Overdrive" to make the response time 2ms instead of 5ms. The result is 'inverse ghosting' -- basically, black font on a white background will leave a 'trail.' The only way to fix this is to go into the service menu by holding the power button and menu button (while the monitor is off), then pressing the menu button again (once the monitor is on), and setting 'OD' to off. Sadly, this has to be done everytime you switch inputs or turn the monitor off. Very annoying, avoid the VE24x series at all costs. Asus has no fix for this nor any plans to remedy the situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the price - ASUS VE247H, February 23, 2011
H. Lie (SF Bay Area, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have been using it for a month. It is sharp, bright and color is great!

The initial setting is just too bright. There is a mode button to toggle from Standard, to Theater, to ... . All of them are too bright.

I use the Standard mode, and change the brightness to 60%, and contrast to 60%. It is looking good now. Agree with other reviewer that the light is rather directional, but it is the same for most low end LCD monitors. When I am viewing and adjusting photos, I just have to make sure my viewing position is correct.

It is a great product for that price range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby, October 21, 2012
So, the first monitor I had EVER bought on the internet was this one. I just bought it about a week and a half ago, and I have had it set up for about 2 or 3 days now. The first thing I noticed immediately was that the color was rich. Everything looked washed out or faded or not as bold as it should have. Granted, I have been using a 40 inch Samsung LED tv as my computer monitor, and the colors on that are FANTASTIC. Well, after a LOT of playing around with the settings of this monitor, I believe to have finally found a great setup. I do a LOT of computer gaming, so having the right colors and sharpness and all that junk is important to me. I have not tested the built in speakers, because lets face it, you just don't buy a monitor for the speakers built in. I have read online that they are pretty crappy and weak. I'm sure they will get the job done, but not satisfactorily.

I love that this monitor has actual physical buttons to adjust all of the menu settings. I had a different monitor that had all touch strip for the options, and that was a pain in the butt to mess around with! One of the issues I seem to have with this monitor is the viewing angle. If you aren't looking at it from just the right angle, everything looks a little washed out. One of the great things about this monitor is the tilting functionality. This monitor tilts far more than any other monitor I've ever owned! It works great because sometimes I am sitting straight up in my chair, and other times I am leaning back, and like I said before, if you aren't right in that magic angle, things look washed out.

Alright enough babbling. Here are the pro's and con's of this monitor, in my opinion:

Pro's
-Great, stable base. There is very little wobbling, but only if I violently shake the desk.
-The size! This monitor is a perfect size for an avid gamer, I believe
-Physical menu buttons are always a plus. They are very responsive too!
-The connection options are good, so you have options with how you hook it up, and what you connect to it. 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, and 1 DVI. Also has a "Line Out" jack, so if you have HDMI hooked up, you have the option of using better speakers
-The tilting is very easy to do, but at the same time, monitor has no problem staying in place.

Con's
-The on screen setup took quite some time to fine-tune adjust to get to my liking.
-Having to get right in the sweet spot for the viewing angle. There is a little bit of degree variation where you can get the whole monitor to look good, but its a very small variance.
-Not really the thinnest monitor out there. Since there are built in speakers, it looks like they decided to "hide" them in the back of the monitor, which makes the monitor about an inch or so deep.

*Note - This was all setup with just a DVI cable. Maybe the colors are better with HDMI.

And finally, below are the settings I used, just in case you guys want to have the same great(ish) looking setup. If nothing else, you can use my setup as a base setup, and adjust the brightness and whatnot according to how you like it!

Splendid:
Scenery Mode

Color:
Brightness - 75
Contrast - 75
Saturation - 60
Color Temp. - User Mode (R=50, G=70, B=100)
Skin Tone - Yellowish
Smart View - Off

Image:
Sharpness - 40
Trace Free - 60
Aspect Control - Full
ASCR - On

***EDIT***
I noticed that sometimes the monitor goes completely black! I began investigating to find out if I could trigger this effect, and sure enough I could. I was playing a game (I Am Alive), and I went into a corner and rotated the camera. When the camera was in a particular angle, the screen would go black. Sound was still happening, just no picture. I immediately went into the monitor's on screen menu, and turned off ASCR. That solved the problem from happening! So, my guess is that during the darker scenes in movies or games or anything really, the monitor will show complete black, but only if ASCR is on. I will update if any more issues occur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it so far, November 13, 2011
Previously had a Dell laptop and this is a huge improvement in picture quality.
Out of the box, the colors weren't as vibrant and the brightness was really overwhelming. Did some tweaking and i absolutely love it so far.

My settings:

R: 89
G: 92
B: 100
Skin tone: Natural

Feel free to make adjustments to your liking, and thank you Amazon for the fast shipment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing deal, January 24, 2011
This monitor was the best deal around, I looked on eBay and Amazon and Amazon ships for free and doesn't charge an Electronic Waste Recycling fee or tax.

I would rate this monitor 5 stars if it didn't have this one flaw: When you look up at the screen, anything lower than looking directly at the screen from the front (90+ degree angle), you can notice the screen getting darker. The further up the screen is from your face, the darker it gets. It's not noticeable unless the picture is dark, and not really noticable unless you are moving, but if it had a better vertical viewing angle the darker pictures would be brighter so I can't give it 5 stars. However if you look down at the screen the picture is nice and bright, just make sure you can put this monitor somewhere where it will not be elevated above your face. As someone else said, this issue is standard in most monitors in this price range and other than that very minor issue, I highly recommend getting this model for games and anything else. Starcraft 2 and Warcraft: Cataclysm look amazing with my ATI HD 5870!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, January 15, 2012
I use a wide variety of 24" LCD panels at work and was grateful for the opportunity to finally own one at home. I scored this one for $200 from Beach Camera (free shipping) and was pleased with the variety of inputs available (HDMI, DVI/HDCP, and VGA). I've not yet tested it with any software that requires the HDCP connection as I use it with my Linux distribution exclusively. I was able to use my single-channel DVI cable without problem.

The LEDs are quite bright and I look forward to a life time of visual display without the proverbial back-light outage. I'm not a color calibration or response-time freak, but it works in every dimension I need it to. If you like the current price on this, don't hesitate to get the display.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor so far, September 13, 2013
I think this is a reasonably priced monitor for the quality and size. I can't say much for the reliability since I've only had it for less than a month, but I really like it. Picture quality is great and size is ideal. There ARE some cons to this monitor, which are

> Brightness settings: The brightness range on this monitor is only sort of ok, I think. My laptop goes from completely dark to very bright. This goes from very bright to sort of dim.

> Speakers: They're not as bad as they appear in other reviews. They are not loud, but they are not low volume either. If you don't care too much about volume then the integrated speakers turn out to be a really nice feature. But if you really want your high quality high volume audio output then you will be sorely disappointed.

On another note: I read some reviews complaining about "ghosting" which is when text (black text on white background) leaves a "trace" on screen. I have experienced none of that (this is the third of these monitors I buy; the other two where for a dual monitor setup in a desktop I built and they didn't have ghosting either). I'm not sure if it's only present on some or if it's an age thing, but I haven't seen it.

Overall this monitor deserves it's rating. I bought two for a dual monitor set up through VGA in windows 8 and it looks excellent. I'm currently using this one in my laptop with Ubuntu 13.04 through HDMI and it's also working fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, bold, convenient., January 10, 2013
I feel like monitor technology is pretty stable...there's not a lot of difference from one monitor to another. This one has some nice features, though.

* It's quite bright by default. I turn it way down, and the I turn down the contrast as well. I guess my room is darker than most people's.

* It has DVI, VGA, and HDMI inputs. I really needed this because I need to connect multiple computers (and an xbox) to it. This is how I save space. Anyway it works well. You can switch easily from one input to another by pressing the button next to the power.

* The speakers won't blow you away, but they are good for a monitor. When you use the HDMI (i.e., xbox) the sound comes out the monitor and it's reasonably powerful.

* The stand makes is easier to tip up and down than most monitors' stands do. I don't particularly use this feature much, but it's there. I have another monitor that will not tilt up or down no matter what you do.

The aspect ratio on this is 16:9. Good for movies and it matches your T V, though I actually have a preference for 16:10. Somehow I find the latter aspect ratio just a little more pleasing. I don't see then as often as I used to. Maybe they were a passing thing? Anyway, I wish this had 16:10, but I'm not complaining. I have this next to a 22" monitor with 16:10 and they are almost the same height, so most of what you gain is in the horizontal direction. Again, good for movies.

It's pretty standard in other respects. It has a decent viewing angle, good colors, good speed, etc. And it doesn't get hot. Gotta love that LED backlighting.

Nothing wrong with this monitor that I have found...no dead pixels or anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it x3, August 24, 2011
I have 3 of these monitors wall mounted and setup in eyefinity, absolutely gorgeous. I haven't had a single problem with them and I hope I won't for a long time.