Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on September 24, 2011
I've been holding off on this, because I wanted to spend some time with it to give an experienced review. I'm just dumping a lot of details out there for you to absorb and make your own decision, but don't get me wrong, this is an AWESOME monitor for those of us that don't care for glossy screens.
I didn't buy this for the size; I bought it for the LED backlight, 2ms response, 1920 resolution, and the high contrast ratio. It just happened to be the only size I could get with those requirements.

Sound
This monitor does not come with speakers, but does come with a headphone jack located next to the video ports in the rear. This headphone jack is, to my knowledge, fed purely through HDMI if your video card supports injection of audio along with the video it displays (My GTX 560 Ti supports this). There is no way to control the volume for this port via the monitor and you will need to rely up the volume control provided through your OS or headphone's controls.

Display
My monitor arrived with 100% of the pixels working; not one single stuck or dead pixel. This was the first thing I checked for when I received it.
The 2ms response time is great. I don't see any ghosting or other types of lag. I tested this with Transformers 2. During the scene where the Devastator comes together my 60Hz TV was so laggy it was hard to see all of the details; with this monitor I was able to see every intricate detail of the vehicles connecting together to form the Devastator. Now I want to upgrade my TV.
Compared to any other LCDs I have, this has very little color distortion based on different viewing angles. The only time colors show noticeable change is when looking from a higher viewing angle (not left, right, or below).
Sometimes, during a solid colored screen, I think I see minor light-bleed effect in some areas, but lately I haven't. It's very rare/negligible and not noticeable at all during use.
The screen itself is very bright, colors are vivid, and whites are white and not yellowed (it puts my 2008 MacBook to shame).
I have been satisfied with all the default color settings. It comes with six pre-programmed modes. I normally only use Game/Theater/Standard modes. Similar to shopping for TV's in a store, once you switch to Standard you'll think "Eww, that's so bleached", but once you walk away and come back it looks awesome again. The Theater mode is configured more for darker pictures.
Since it's dynamic contrast, I noticed during testing that a screen of pure black is not as black as I'd like (because it has nothing to compare/adjust against), but once you pull up an actual picture with content or play a video blacks are dark black, whites are bright white, and it does very well at displaying the various levels of contrast in between.

Build
It's pretty thin and seems well built. The base is very easy to take on and off for transport, but you may want to use a screwdriver if you're OCD and the 1-2 degree of possible rotation from only hand-tightening annoys you. The screen sits level and doesn't lean at all one way or the other. There is a indentation in the back, probably mainly for heat dissipation, that I've been using as a handle-grip for transporting to LAN parties. This seems to work rather well, even if it's not intended to be used this way. The monitor itself stays really cool and I hardly notice any luke warm air coming from it even when I'm right up to it.

Other Thoughts
As much as people complain about the reflections of glossy screens, I don't think the Aero/"ooh, shiny object" effect of the gloss will ever seem inferior to my non-glossy screen (remember that TV shopping effect?). At the same time I am glad to have a non-glossy screen and am really surprised at how well it handles the colors for being such. It's both a pro and a con for me.
I have no issues viewing text on this screen. I had a laptop with a 15.5" LCD running at 1920x1280 and never (okay, rarely) had any issues reading small text, and I can tell you this 23" 1920x1080 screen is much easier to read, because... well... all 2+ million of those pixels are larger than on my 15". Sure, my dad may still complain about the font, but all-in-all if you have trouble reading small things get a display with a lower native resolution (else things typically get blurry when you lower from the native resolution) or attempt to utilize the operating system's built-in scaling settings. The text itself displays nice and crisp, just how I like it.

*2014 Note: This was a 2011 review of the ASUS VS247H-P. It seems Amazon has since reused the listing and/or reviews to now be attributed to a newer model.

Originally posted: 2011/09/24
Last edited: 2014/08/02
3232 comments|968 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 15, 2014
So I already own one of these monitors, which I bought back in early 2012 from a local electronics store. It was fantastic, great colors, great response time, sharp images, practically perfect.

Two days ago I bought an exact same model from Amazon.com and couldn't wait to get it set up in my new home. I finally have enough space for a dual-screen setup. My excitement got zapped when I plugged the monitor in and placed it side-by-side with my existing VS247H-P. The new monitor's sharpness looked very off, and it has a very noticeable yellow tint compared to my older monitor, which is still in perfect condition. No matter how I adjusted the configuration of the display (Scenery, Standard, Theater mode, RGB colors, brightness, contrast, etc.) I could not get it to match the same excellent output as my existing one.

I am hoping this is not the case with all the recent versions of the VS247H-P model... It would be a shame given the vast majority of people have good reviews of this monitor. Hopefully I received a fluke, I have tried getting another one and we will see how this new one turns out...

Will provide another update later.

Update 1/17/2014. So the new model STILL looked tinted yellow. And again, I reset both monitors to factory settings, set it to "Standard Mode", and find a very noticeable color difference. This is a huge problem for me trying to work on dual screens for image and video apps. I don't know why both models I received exhibit this issue with the washed out colors. Disappointed to say the least.
review image review image
3333 comments|353 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear M. Weng,

If you've already contacted Amazon, please let me know how the replacement turns out. My email is cl-celeste@asus.com. Please include case#3348240 in the subject line. ASUS Customer Loyalty is here to listen and respond to your concerns and to help you with a positive ASUS experience.

Sincerely,
Celeste
ASUS Customer Loyalty
on May 8, 2012
The Asus VS247H-P 23.6 inch Led monitor is a great monitor. I was searching for a monitor to be an external display for my mid 2010 macbook pro 15 inch and ended up buying this one. I thought 23.3 inches would be to small, but its plenty big for my use. I'm not a professional photographer or graphic design specialist so I can't really comment on the nitty-gritty, but for occasional games, iphoto editing, movies, web, and home/office use this monitor is excellent.

I connected my macbook to the display via mini display port to HDMI with audio (one cord) and the monitor was displaying in beautiful 1080p with sound coming from my desktop speakers (you have to set the audio output in the system preferences to HDMI). The colors are great, black is black and white is bright white, really bright white. I did have to do some tweaking with the settings via the menu on the monitor and color sync in OS X to calm it down a bit, took about 3 minutes, but it looks fabulous and its nice to know I have room to adjust if I need to. There are no speakers in this monitor so you have to use headphones or desktop speakers, but there is volume settings in the menu, which is kind of a pain in the butt, as there is no independent physical volume up/down button. You have to scroll through the menu till you get to the volume settings. I just max out the monitor volume and adjust the sound from my desktop speaker controller.

The menu is a bit tricky to get through at first, but after a few times I was able to move through it pretty quickly. The monitor has a glossy half-inch or so border around it, which I'm not a huge fan of as it gets mucked up with finger prints, but when its clean it looks nice. In the end I would definitely recommend this monitor.
review image review image review image review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 31, 2014
Received and email today from Asus rebates. They declined my rebate on the monitor. They said, "Copy of Receipt/Invoice or Packing List is missing". I included the actual invoice provided by Amazon. They provided a link in the email to show what they received so I clicked it and there sat my invoice from Amazon, the cut out UPC label and the cut out label showing model and serial # as well as the filled out rebate form. What makes it even worse is that I bought two of these things. I wish I would have saved my boxes because I would immediately return them out of principle. Not Amazon's fault, probably only party Asus's fault, they likely contract a third party to process the rebates. Shame on them, won't happen to me again. Be careful.

Update 2/4/14
After talking with customer service at 4myrebate.com they tell me the following. The invoice I included is actually what they call an "order summary". This is the only thing as far as a reciept you get from Amazon. It only shows info. like date ordered, date delivered, model number, amount paid, payment type, My name along with billing and delivery address. They suggested I contact Amazon and ask them to send my a "regular reciept" Pure Baloney.
99 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear David,

If you're having rebate issues, then please provide me your name and rebate tracking# or receipt and kindly provide me the detailed information of what happened and send them to cl-celeste@asus.com and include case#3451821 in the subject line. ASUS Customer Loyalty is here to listen and respond to our customers' needs and to help provide you with a positive ASUS experience.

Sincerely,
Celeste
ASUS Customer Loyalty
on August 21, 2011
First off, in case it is not clear from the title, the VS247H-P features LED backlighting. Also, it has a matte (anti-reflective) finish on the screen (the bezel, by contrast, is glossy).
Since no one had reviewed this yet when I bought it (it's a new model) I was a little hesitant at first. Happy to report this is an excellent display. In fact, I like it better than any of the TN panel displays I saw at my local retail stores. (Since I use it for gaming primarily, I was not in the market for an IPS display because of their slower response times.)

Pros:
It has a very attractive simple design. The bezel is slim, the stand seems sturdy. It is fairly thin (but not razor thin). Runs very cool. Great colors (I didn't know Starcraft 2 could look this good!). Excellent response time. I haven't noticed any bleeding around the edges - the backlighting seems very even. I like the hidden physical buttons on the bottom right of the display (instead of touch based buttons). When the monitor goes to sleep, it there is a small dull orange light (instead of an annoying bright blinking blue light like some other displays).

Cons:
As with all TNs, there is some color shift when viewed at an off-angle, but this is less noticeable than on other displays I have tried. I would prefer that it didn't say "HDMI" on the lower left corner of the front of the unit (not an eyesore or anything, just wish it was a removable sticker instead of painted on).
My first unit had a bright blue stuck pixel in the center - Amazon promptly sent a replacement. New unit is great.
1212 comments|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2011
This monitor is just plain awesome. I love every inch of it!

The presets are very nice, colors seem to be almost spot on for the gaming option. No ghosting whatsoever, I could not get it to lag or anything like it.

The stand isn't too bad, no worse then most led monitors. Since it is so light there is no problem moving it around, there is also a nice slot on the top behind the screen to use as a handle!

TF2, Borderlands, WOW, and Killing Floor all look insane on this thing, it is so crisp. I can see so much more detail then on the Acer 19" 4:3 monitor I used previously.

I also am a semi-pro photographer and let me tell you, this screen didn't even need color correction. Its colors are saturated no doubt, but they were just right.

You will love this monitor. Buy it. Cereal.
1111 comments|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2013
The back light bleed on my monitor is so bad I had to turn economy mode on. Still even with this on you can see it all around the edges of the screen, and really dark areas in the center are still washed out by it.

I may have just gotten a lemon, but I would not recommend this product to anyone.

Asus dose not take returns for back light bleed problems.
66 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2014
I picked this monitor out to use as a second screen for gaming and streaming. It was a birthday gift from my mom. I wasn't impressed with the clarity, the height of the stand, or much of anything for that matter. I would never have purchased this item had I known the dingy yellow color from monitors in the 90's pervaded the dark ages and made its way to 2014. I did everything I could to try to correct the color, but I could never get the whites to truly be white. I am sending this back and buying another samsung. I was really disappointed because Asus is supposed to be such a good brand but this monitor felt cheap and looked very cheap next to my samsung.
review image
on October 2, 2011
I purchased 2 of these monitors to set up next to each other, have been very happy so far.

Pros:
-Great picture quality, colors seem to be reproduced very well
-Brightness has a very wide range, these can definitely get bright
-I love the bezels, very plain and look great when sitting next to eachother
-Controls are pretty easy to use, decent amount of options
-Super thin and light! The handles on the back are really great if you need to move them
-3 types of connections (HDMI, VGA, DVI) are really great and also they stick straight out so VERY easy to connect and change
-Have been great for gaming, very good response times, no lag

Cons:
-Stands are very small and when using a wobbly desk they were quite unstable (never falling over but could get annoying when typing)
(Note: The real issue was the desk, as long as your desk is stable they monitors will not shake)
-I wish the stands had more options, but still work very well.
on May 3, 2012
Short version:

Highly recommended.

Longer version:

I had a 19" CRT Dell monitor for the longest time until the colors started changing, starting in one of the corners and working it's way up. I then recycled it and used a spare Planar PL1910M instead, even though it's refresh rate wasn't as fast as the CRT monitor (60hz vs 120hz); it was pretty noticeable when playing Burnout Paradise. I thought I'd upgrade to a larger flat-screen (Acer S211HL bd 21.5-Inch Widescreen Ultra-Slim LED Display - Black), but the color was very cold and I just couldn't seem to adjust. I think there was also something odd about the brightness as well.

Since I've been focusing more on programming and I like having a dual monitor setup at work (code on one screen and documentation on the other), I knew I wanted the same setup for home. I took a chance with two of these and a monitor stand (Dual LCD Monitor Stand desk clamp holds up to 24" lcd monitors) and it has to be the best purchase I've made in some time.

Now granted I did have to adjust the brightness quite a bit, but after adjustment I haven't had any problems out of them. After assembling and connecting to my system, I tested them with the Dead Pixel Buddy application I've used previously and did not find a single dead pixel.

For anyone that wants to tweak their monitor settings, this is how both of mine are setup:

Splendid->Standard Mode

Color->Brightness = 20
Color->Contrast = 70
Color->Saturation = 50 (couldn't change?)
Color->Color Temp = Warm
Color->Skin Tone = Natural (couldn't change?)
Color->Smart View = Off

Image->Trace Free = 60
Image->Trace Free = Sharpness = 40 (couldn't change?)

System Setup->Splendid Demo Mode = Off
System Setup->ECO Mode = Off

That particular brightness setting is probably too low for most users, so starting there and going up may work well for you.
44 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse