Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 12, 2014
I am using this as an entertainment PC in my bedroom where, although I have enough room for a full sized PC, I wanted a small form factor so my bedroom did not look like a home theater room. I have this PC connected to the TV in my bedroom by the HDMI port. I connected the VivoPC to a stereo with standard 3.5mm to RCA cable. With its small form factor, I was able to set it on the top of an NHT speaker.

Pros:

1) Small form factor. It can be placed just about anywhere. I prefer the styling to the similar Lenovo Q and Acer Revo series;
2) It is very quiet -- unlike the full size AMD FX8350 system I built for the home theater in the family room;
3) Very attractive case with nifty light through slit in front of the PC;
4) Wireless 802.11ac networking. This enables it to communicate very quickly with the PC on which I store all of my audio and video;
5) Good connectivity with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports, audio and microphone plugs, HDMI and standard VGA outputs;
6) The 3.5" 500G hard drive is easy to remove and replace so you can upgrade it easily, unlike the Lenovo and Acer models.
7) Very inexpensive.
8) While the case is made of plastic, it feels solidly built.
9) Very portable.
10) The Intel 4000 graphics is adequate for 1080p video and audio.

Cons:

1) It is slow in that it uses a Celeron dual core processor. It scored a meager 877.5 on PerformanceTest 8. If you need more power but like the small form factor, the ASUS VIVO-PC VMB60 uses an I3 or I5 processor, but costs about $100 to 200 more and is done in a brushed black rather than the attractive gold of this PC;
2) I would like a front panel USB port to connect jump drives to.
3) It came with a wired keyboard and mouse. I purchased a Logitech tk820 all in one wireless keyboard with a built in touch pad so I didn't have to mess with a mouse where I did not have a place to use it.
4) Windows 8.

I am seriously considering buying a second one for the home theater system. You may want to compare this model to the similar Lenovo Q series or Acer Revo. If you can build your own system and have an operating system floating around, you may also want to consider the Intel NUC series or Gigabyte barebones PC which requires the addition of a hard drive and memory.
22 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2014
Excellent, so... if you're not a linux user you can just skip my review. I didn't even boot into the Win8 install on here so I have no idea if it really works. I assume it does if I ever choose to boot into it one day. But for all the Linux people out there, this is what you need to do.

Make a USB bootable mint USB... plug it into the vivopc and power on... keep hitting F8 and you'll eventually get the menu listing your USB drive as a boot medium. It might be called ubuntu if you used unetbootin to make the usb-drive bootable. You won't see Boot-from-USB if there's no USB-bootable drive plugged in before power on.

Anyways, you'll be greeted with a completely blank screen(no blinking cursor or anything) after the "grub-like" menu appears and you select "start mint". What did I do to get past this? Go into the BIOS, disable Fastboot, disable Launch CSM, disable wifi, disable bluetooth.... then go try and boot again. It'll work. After that I started the install process and eventually it'll ask if you want to erase the entire harddrive to install MINT. If you don't care about Win8 you could just do that. I like to keep the windows install around in case I have hardware problems in Linux; I use windows to verify that the hardware works then I know it's just a linux driver issue. Also note that at this part you'll notice MINT telling you it couldn't detect any operating systems; don't worry... it'll find 'em later. So, I used the installer's partition-management option to resize the biggest windows partition I saw. It was like 300GB. I reduced it to 100GB, leaving me 200GB of free space on /dev/sda7. I told MINT to install there an make it the mount point "/"(root of the filesystem), no swap space. The install just goes and didn't ask me anything about grub install into MBR or root of linux-filesystem like in the old days. It just said, install complete and asked me to reboot. So I did.

On reboot, grub appeared and it had the Win8 boot in there as well as the LinuxMINT entry. So I booted into MINT.... and that's it. I haven't gone back into the BIOS to enable wifi or bluetooth because I don't care about those things. I only bought this to sit at my desk at home connected via ethernet-cable on the same table my router sits on... and I've never been a person who connected via bluetooth to any PC. I've always had usb mouse and keyboards. In the terminal, I typed this:

pikachu@POKEMONGYM ~ $ df -h .
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda7 181G 53G 120G 31% /
pikachu@POKEMONGYM ~ $ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3854 3030 823 208 165 1460
-/+ buffers/cache: 1405 2449
Swap: 0 0 0
pikachu@POKEMONGYM ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
pikachu@POKEMONGYM ~ $

fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer xsave lahf_lm arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
bogomips : 2993.24

clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

Pleasantly surprised to find 4GB RAM, I was pretty certain I ordered a 2GB model during the checkout process... but whatever!!!

---EDIT---: Oh, you folks rating my review as helpful eh? Okay then, let me add some more. I went into the bios to enable bluetooth and wifi after doing an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade; the machine still boots into Linux MINT just fine and now:

pikachu@POKEMONGYM ~ $ uname -a
Linux POKEMONGYM 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:30:00 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
pikachu@POKEMONGYM ~ $

pikachu@POKEMONGYM ~ $ lspci
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)

pikachu@POKEMONGYM ~ $ ifconfig wlan0
wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 54:27:1e:b3:8e:d9
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

pikachu@POKEMONGYM ~ $ dmesg|grep Bluetooth
[ 16.769269] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[ 16.780867] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[ 16.780883] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 16.780891] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11

Various wireless stuff in dmesg:
[ 13.629514] rtlwifi: wireless switch is on
[ 13.629538] rtl8821ae-0:rtl_pci_intr_mode_legacy():<0-0> Pin-based Interrupt Mode!
[ 13.871096] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
[ 13.871102] cfg80211: (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
[ 13.871105] cfg80211: (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[ 13.871108] cfg80211: (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[ 13.871110] cfg80211: (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[ 13.871112] cfg80211: (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[ 13.871114] cfg80211: (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[ 13.871135] cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US
[ 13.875845] cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: US
[ 13.875851] cfg80211: (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
[ 13.875854] cfg80211: (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2700 mBm)
[ 13.875856] cfg80211: (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 1700 mBm)
[ 13.875858] cfg80211: (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[ 13.875860] cfg80211: (5490000 KHz - 5600000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[ 13.875862] cfg80211: (5650000 KHz - 5710000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
[ 13.875864] cfg80211: (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 3000 mBm)
[ 13.875866] cfg80211: (57240000 KHz - 63720000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 4000 mBm)
[ 22.907197] rtl8821ae-0:rtl8821ae_phy_switch_wirelessband():<0-0> 5G
[ 24.310782] rtl8821ae-0:rtl8821ae_phy_switch_wirelessband():<0-0> 2.4G

While I haven't actually tested the wifi & bluetooth, I assume if linux can see & init them like this... it probably works or at least very close to working.
77 comments| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2014
At $250, the ASUS VivoPC-VM40B is a dream come true for customers needing a full interfaced desktop in a small, sleek package. Measuring 7.5" x 7.5" x 2.2", this sleek desktop with a spun metal finish allows me to have a nice computer attached to the playroom for both games, movies, and homework on the big screen. With 4GB of memory (upgradeable to 16GB) and 500GB of on board storage, this machine is just right for our playroom.

Powered with a dual core CPU driven by an Intel Celeron 1007U Processor (1.5 GHz), this is an all-around general purpose machine - not a machine geared towards hardcore gamers or video editors where a much faster chipset would be required.

It comes stock with the following connectivity ports:

2 x USB 3.0
4 x USB 2.0
1 x HDMI
1 x VGA Out
1 x LAN
1 x Optical S/PDIF out (Toslink)
3 x Audio Jacks (Line in/Mic in/Speaker out)

Its even Bluetooth 4.0 compliant!

I would prefer to have another HDMI slot, but you can't ask for the world at this price and in this size of a console.

The ASUS VivoPC-VM40B is a nice alternative to a Chromebox for those who need a little more functionality and control. It is quiet and doesn't get too warm during use. A great addition for my family's computing needs.
66 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2014
This thing is exactly what I have been searching for in a HTPC .That's all I wanted it for and it perforems flawlessly. I read all of the mixed reviews before purchasing BUT I made up my own mind that this was worth a try. It was between this and the Lenovo Q190 I believe it was the smaller form factor the won over( I am a HUGE lenovo fan). I can honestly say I have NO regrets. I read all of the complaints about the initial windows start up process being long and tedious.WRONG. Just like windows 98,XP,Vista,Win 7 and now Win 8. IT"S THE INITIAL START UP PEOPLE!!! It takes a little time stop whining. I primarily run XBMC and i'll tell you this thing is lightning fast compared to those google boxes. I was looking for a cheap HTPC so I tried the Sony NSZ-GS8 .great concept but could not run XBMC. then I found the matricom MX2 another great concept but terribly slow constant buffering of movies( yes I did the 0 cache fix) going by the old saying "ya get what ya pay for" I thought it was time to get serious but I didn't want to break the bank. I looked into building my own micro ATX HTPC but that popped into the $500-$600 range not that I wouldnt spend the money I was just looking at all options then BAM!!!! I came across this baby. did my research and finally decided to pull the trigger. It took a few days to get it set up the way I want it but it is fantastic it plays movies storred on my server flawlessly I am seriously considering taking down the server and just my mediasonic hard drive box as I can access it on the VIVOPV throught the my network. Now I have don some light computing work on it and it is great not sure I would use this for my everyday PC But that is just my opinion If you are looking for a great HTPC then THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!
55 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2015
This is an excellent machine; impressive hardware at an amazing price. I was considering an Apple Mac Mini but this ASUS costs less than half as much, has similar specs, and I am intrigued by all the good things happening in the Windows environment. I concede that Windows 8 is not great, or even good -- even after the updates load and I got accustomed to the interface, the "Modern" interface apps are oddly buggy (and few! I know, like the cruisers who complained about the food quality, and quantity.) Nevertheless, Windows 8 is an admirable pioneer, leading the way to the future, fully integrated OS. I considered installing Linux, be it Mint, or the classic Debian, but instead I doubled-down by installing the developer edition of Windows 10. First impressions are very good. I will update later.

Update: Windows 10 "Technical Preview" was a breeze to install (despite the warnings, you can easily "roll back" to Win8 if you don't like it). Settings were maintained over the transition. It boots and shuts-down very quickly -- as fast as my Mac with SSD, which I know sounds impossible. So far, about a week in, Win10 seems stable and fast. The "Start" button is back, more or less, disguised as the Metro/Modern interface (active tiles). The Logitech ball camera was recognized automatically and integrated into Skype (a 24" 1080p TV and a wireless Logitech keyboard/touchpad complete the system). All together, this is an incredible value, so I am improving my score to 5/5.
on September 4, 2014
What a fantastic and affordable HTPC.

I couldn't be more impressed with the form factor, simplicity, and purpose-driven functionality this little guy delivers. ASUS really fit a niche that was missing. There's a ton of low-cost tinkerer HTPC options out there, a ton of high-end fully functioned mini-PC options out there in the $500-$600 range. Fully upgradable, but I would suggest resisting the temptation going nuts and upgrading everything out of the box. If you're using this for an HTPC all that extra hardware will kill your ROI. I found that 720p-1080p runs/streams perfectly fine in bone stock configuration as long as you aren't pushing it too hard. Windows 8.1 isn't bad after tweaking and I never have to power this thing down anyway as it doesn't make a peep. Get rid of crappy Symantec A/V and put something else on, it'll save your CPU.

ASUS has a winner here.
on November 29, 2014
Very nice full blown computer for the money. Yes, its a Celeron, but it works good for a Living Room PC/HTPC.. Not to mention that you get a full blown copy of Win8.1. That alone is worth $80 :) And really, for surfing and HTPC use, you really dont need a i5/i7.
on October 25, 2014
Excellent small unit for a home-theater PC. Especially useful if you want to download your Amazon Unbox videos at a certain time of day instead of streaming due to bandwith restrictions by your provider. Paired with a Bluetooth keyboard that has a mousing trackpad, it's great in the living room and takes up next to no space at all. Will also run Steam in big picture mode, just get a controller with a USB connection and is compatible with Windows. Win8 was not as bad as I feared... I could switch it easily to "classic" view instead of those ridiculous boxes.
on August 17, 2014
Very nice computer that does not appear to overheat with extended use. This computer comes with windows 8.1 and an internal speaker.
I am using a small HDTV as a monitor and have little use for the internal speaker, but you can always access it by going into the control panel and selecting the option to bypass the TV speakers. The computer is fast and I see no reason to upgrade it. I don't play computer games, so I can't comment on how it would do with Xbox or other things gamers would like to do with their computer.
on September 24, 2014
I ordered it on 9/12/14 (Friday), and received it on 9/15/14 (Monday). For starters, I use this strictly as a HTPC: I purchased this primarily because I wanted to use my PlayOn digital media server application on a separate PC, so it would run faster. I didn't want PlayOn to continue hogging up the CPU resources on my laptop, while I was trying to use the laptop for other things. I wanted a DEDICATED device to be able to use PlayOn to watch TV, and also watch other streaming media online via Internet, Youtube, etc. I thought the price on this was really within my budget, plus the $20 rebate was an added bonus. This was EXACTLY what I needed!!

I plugged the PC into my Samsung Smart TV via HDMI, before I even booted the device for the first time – no issues at all. The overall setup was pretty simple – just a small note: I did not realize I had to use a Microsoft Account to set it up – I guess this is specific to Windows 8 (???) – not sure. Anyway, I had to dig around to find my old Microsoft account info – an account I set up YEARS ago, for my Zune MP3 player – never really needed to use it again, until now. This was my first time working with Windows 8, but I became quite comfy with it fairly quickly. I did not use the wireless mouse or keyboard that came with the VivoPC – instead, I used the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard (K400) with built in mouse pad that I previously purchased for my Samsung TV – it works beautifully with the device…another plus.

Now, I must say, as much as I REALLY like this device, unfortunately, and I am sorry to say this, but I have to take off stars because of the WIFI – it is TERRIBLY SLOW. When I initially noticed the slowness, I tested it using a popular speed testing website and it was horrible via wifi. However, while it is plugged in directly via Ethernet, I get GREAT speeds. I am not sure if others experience this wifi problem, but this is quite disappointing for such an overall quality device in other areas. I tried testing the speed problem further, after first ensuring that I had the latest drivers from the Asus drivers website - everything was already updated to the latest drivers. From what I could determine, it seems that the DISTANCE from the wifi router is a real problem for this PC.

I have the PC sitting in the living room, next to the TV, which is about 30 feet from the wifi router, with 3 walls in between. With that amount of distance, I am experiencing VERY slow speeds. To further test the speed and signal, I moved the device DIRECTLY in front of my wifi router and tested the wireless speed – I got TOP SPEEDS (30MB down / 6 MB up) – with no problem at all. Afterwards, I moved the PC back to it’s original spot in the living room: 30 feet away – yes, I actually MEASURED the distance (by the way…I really like the PORTABILITY of this PC.) I tested the wireless speed again from 30 feet away: VERY SLOW SPEEDS – 0.5 MB down/up, being the SLOWEST. However, I did get a max of 2 MB down / 3 MB up at one point, which was surprising – but overall poor speed, and not the top speed that I’m currently paying for with my ISP.

Now, my Vaio Laptop which is ALSO sitting in the living room (30 feet away) and running WIRELESSLY, gives me top speed (30MB down / 6 MB up). That is the EXACT same speed the VivoPC gave me when I sat it DIRECTLY in front of the wifi router to test the wireless speed. So sadly, distance is going to be a problem with the wifi capabilities of the VivoPC - that is about the ONLY negative thing I really have to say about this device. Other than that I really like it so far.

So while I would love to give this about 4.5 maybe even 5 stars – I am going to have to deduct a star for the Wifi performance. I am sorry to say, it is terribly disappointing, and quite unexpected. I’m not sure if it’s in the hardware or the software, but maybe Asus will provide an update in the near future (wishful thinking, I guess.) Other than that, the VivoPC is VERY nice, as an HTPC and will probably do well for basic computing needs as well. But if I were remotely thinking of purchasing another one of these, the quality of the wifi performance alone would definitely be a deterrent for me, because there may be instances where you truly NEED the wireless capabilities. Even with this affordable price such as this, I wouldn't shell out another $229 + tax and not get a decent wifi signal, when the other devices in my home work fine with the wireless connection at the same distance. I’m sorry but that’s just unacceptable. It’s a little disappointing because years ago, I previously owned an Asus EEE Netbook, which was very nice, and it really made me take notice of the quality of the Asus brand, and even led me to later buy an Asus Slider Tablet which I still own.

However for this particular Asus device, and for my home entertainment purposes, I’ll stay “plugged in” via Ethernet for now. If you’re going to basically leave this plugged in, wired via Ethernet, and use it for computing and/or HTPC purposes, then it should be FINE. Otherwise if using wifi, then the device should be placed fairly CLOSE to the router (or possibly purchase a Wireless USB Adapter with a better signal as a workaround.) Other than that, I am fine with this using device as an HTPC (connected via Ethernet) and I am satisfied overall with my purchase. It’s “officially” 3.5 stars for me.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps with your decision to purchase.