5.0 out of 5 stars First USB WIFI dual band I got. Better than I thought.
I usually get PCI/PCI-e wireless adapters, media bridges, or play around with DD-WRT. I also still use an old, but reliable PCI WMP300N (for 20 dollars plus free 3 antenna booster that I can stick on my wall above my desk, can't beat that, but this was 3 years ago).

Published on January 25, 2012 by Chiyonosake

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, terrible customer service
Published 22 months ago by C.Shafer

5.0 out of 5 stars First USB WIFI dual band I got. Better than I thought., January 25, 2012
This review is from: Asus Dual Band (2.4GHz 300Mbps/5GHz 300Mbps) Wireless-N USB Adapter with Graphical Easy Interface (USB-N53) (Personal Computers)

Well, I needed a quick solution to get my cousin's computer on my wireless without having to worry about buying another router and load up DD-WRT. I did some comparing between USB vs PCI/PCI-e network cards and since USB 2.0 runs at 480Mbps, having a USB wifi adapter that runs at 300Mbps (8Mbit = 1MByte for those that don't know, so 480Mbps = 60MBps). Also being dual band, even more reason I wanted to get it.

My cousin's system and mine both run Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Set up was easy. Plugged in the USB extension cable (which is only like 4-5inches long, but it was a flex cable so I could point the USB dongle upward, instead of having it just sit horizontal out of the back of the system. After that, plugged in the USB dongle, ran the set up disc, and was able to navigate easily through the utility. You can also use the Windows 7 default Wireless settings to use the adapter. Once you get on, go to the ASUS website and download the latest utility and drivers. The utility was easy, and I actually like it better.

Set up the computer for the 5GHz band and it was set, got full 300Mbps, sometimes drops down to 243Mbps minimal. Also that computer was the only one in the area that had the 5GHz set up, so no congestion.

This was an easy and quick set up, also being USB it's great for when family or friends visit and want to set them up with something quickly and easily. Also great as a spare in case your own wireless goes out in the computer.

I highly recommend this product.
- CCNA, Security +, and A + certified.

UPDATE 2/7/2012: Just ordered another one for my computer. Went from 130Mbps on the 2.4GHz band from my PCI wifi card to 240-300Mbps on the 5GHz band with just plugged the USB adapter into the back of my computer. Not even using the cable that came with it. Also picked up the N56 Diamond Router from ASUS, will update after setting it up. Changing out my e3000 for the N56.

UPDATE 8/12/2012: My Cisco e3000 finally starting getting buggy and the wireless was becoming more unstable. Switched it for the ASUS N56 Diamond Router and it works a LOT better. No drops in speed or connection. Had it set up and upgraded to the latest firmware. After about a month of fiddling and letting it run since the initial set up, it works a lot better than the e3000. ASUS finally has a firmware that works with no issues. It pairs nicely with the USB-N53 wireless adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing wireless product from ASUS, November 7, 2011
I recently got this wireless adapter to go with my new ASUS wireless router (also awesome). This adapter is replacing a top of the line Netgear adapter. Performance difference is staggering! Lower latency, higher bandwidth at the same distance. The software AP feature is neat I guess. There are free programs to accomplish the same, but I think this is the first time it has been integrated into the adapter software by the manufacturer. I imagine that the improved antenna design in this adapter would make it a solid candidate for being used as a software AP. The adapter software itself...I'm not a big fan. It is very pretty and functional and all. I'm just a bit more minimalistic. Personal preference, nothing wrong with the software. All in all, I'm very happy and ASUS is regaining my trust (a bout of bad motherboards turned me off a while back). The company's recent moves in sound cards (DX2) and wireless (this adapter and the N56U router) are making me consider trying more of their hardware again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, November 30, 2011
Greg (California) - See all my reviews
I was reluctant on buying this at first because USB devices usually fall short when compared to PCIe cards, but not this one.

I bought mine today to use with an ASUS RT-N56U router and I have had continous signals without any dropouts.

I'm presently using this on a desktop housed inside an enclosure cabinet, dedicated solely on the 5 GHz band, and I have had a constant signal of 216 thru 246 mbps at a distance of 40 feet/and four walls.

I have tinkered with this on my laptop too and received a constant signal of 300 mbps on the 2.4 GHz band. However, I already have a wireless card for it, and my desktop was the top priority. I noticed that I'm receiving a stronger signal using the USB extention cable, which is an added benefit.

I also noticed that if the desktop PC is taken out of the cabinet and the USB stick is exposed to the room, the signal tops out at a consistent 300 mbps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great USB Wireless Adapter, June 9, 2012
Purchased this after having issues with two different USB wireless adapters. Why did I purchase this when I had others you ask. Both a Linksys AE2500 and Netgear WNDA3100 provided me with frustrations. Both of these adapters use the same chipset and drivers from Broadcom with their own OEM twist. Had bluescreens with one driver version and issues of reconnects when system is rebooted or wake from sleep with both of these adapters. These issues had me looking for adapter that does not use a broadcom chipset.
That lead me to this one. The ASUS USB-N53 uses a Ralink chipset. I have had good experiences with the Ralink line before so decided to give it a try. Instead of going to the ASUS site for the latest drivers you can go to the Ralink site and get the very latest there which was April of this year. The drivers for the two previous adapters was 2011. I downloaded the latest from Ralink. This includes a utility to control the adapter as well as the drivers. The install software gives you the option to just install the drivers which is what I did as I have used the utility in the past with other adapters and see no advantage over using the native Windows 7 support for wireless access. With the latest drivers installed the USB-N53 has performed flawlessly. No bluescreens, no issues on reboot/shutdown/power on, no issues on wake from sleep. Just works as expected. Through put same as the others which is very good. Another thing of note, the install of the drivers for the Netgear required me to remove Kaspersky virus software before would successfully install. With the Ralink drivers that was not required. I suspect that would be the same for the "official" drivers from the ASUS site.
So far very pleased with this adapter. Performs well and no downsides such as bluescreens or failures to reconnect. Not only performs well but the look is outstanding.
--bill

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, February 16, 2012
Great featues: dual-band, 802.11n. Also, it works on Linux (tested on Ubuntu 10.4 and 11.10) with Ralink RT3572usb driver. It even connects to N networks with this driver. For details on how to get it working on Ubuntu, see: askubuntu.com/a/104586/5696

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless from the very begining, June 25, 2012
If you can read and follow the (very simple) instructions, then you you'll have in this dongle a trustfull companion to your WiFi N Router and prevent install headaches.

I am a Engineer that likes to read all of the manuals, but as the instructions were simple and clear, as a field test, I ask my 12 years-old kid to do the installing and everything went fine.

In 5 GHz it provides a better transfer rate than cable ( 330 Mbps x 100 Mbps) and in 2.4 GHz it is working on 140 Mbps using dual channel.

I live in an apartment, and this device can listen trough the walls, and has a better reception than the original WiFi adapter my Samsung notebook has.

I also recomend using the Asus Black Diamond dual-band router, that is a perfect match to this adapter and is working beautifully with my Apple TV and other devices in home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performing USB adapter, Dual Band, full 300Mbps, good config utility, March 5, 2013
The excellent, Good 2.4 and 5Ghz range. This adapter stays very cool thanks to the USB bendable Extension and bigger plastic case design... Signal strength is great for the 2.4 GHz/5ghz band, and on par with all other WLAN dongles. Data transfer speeds are awesome with the 5GHz band, Im getting consistant +8MB/sec speeds, way faster than your typical 2.4 Ghz data transfer rates. The Asus WLAN utility is a great tool for finding info about your network, but you dont need it...

The Bad, Windows XP, Windows 7 functionality epic, but Windows 8 x64 is lame( as of 2/20/13). Microsoft has not released completed drivers yet, so you actually loose the 5GHz band functionality completely, 2.4 GHZ 300Mbps connections remain unaffected and speedy... If you have windows 8 and your 5.0GHz connections are not popping up, the solution is to go to Asus.com website and find the windows 7 x64 drivers. Install that and your 5GHz band is up and running. Because the USB dongle itself is a little bulky, this dongle will kinda prevent you from plugging in a second device if you have two horizontal USB ports side by side on your laptop.... You can get around this by using the supplied USB extension though and life is good.

Info to consider:
When looking at a wireless network setup, your router is the best thing to consider... Your Wireless devices can only go as fast as the router does... Especially when you transfer files among your devices... Any brand will give you nice speedy internet access and download speeds with decent range, but good routers are quick and responsive to moving files among your house's network, high speed transferring data at long range ... Invest a little more in speed, bandwidth, and dual core processors routers if you are going to push it a little more. Asus wireless devices cost a touch more, but these are the devices that you can push for excellent results in performance

4.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if using Windows 8.1(as of October 21, 2013), October 21, 2013
These Asus networking products are robust and full of features. I own a RT-N66U router and this N53 usb network card, both are far superior compared to products I previously owned from DLink, TrendNet and Linksys(Cisco).

Just be aware that right now I am crippled by my own upgrade to Windows 8.1 because the N53 can't see the 5GHz network, already looked for newer drivers in Asus website, updated the router firmware, uninstalled and reinstalled the card, all to no avail.

It just seems there is no support for win8.1

May have to regretfully look for a replacement($$$).

Edit(23/12/13): Look in the comments for a workaround if you find yourself in this situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good USB Adapter!, December 29, 2013
This review is based on installation and about 5 hours of usage:

Background:
I purchased this USB WiFi Network Adapter for a new computer received for Christmas that is located too far from the cable modem/router to use a wired connection. The built-in WiFi in the HP desktop computer was 2.4 ghz only and was too weak to get anything more than 3 Mbps.

Installation and Issues:
The initial installation was easy (Windows 8) but had one issue, unable to detect/connect to 5 ghz networks using the dual-band with my Windows 8 operating system. I did some searching online and found others with this same issue and easily fixed by going to Asus website and downloading the drivers. I uninstalled the Windows 8 drivers and instead installed the Windows 7 drivers (even though my computer is running Windows 8) and it began working immediately.

Speed:
As for the speed on this device, I’m overwhelmed! I have a 30 Mbps connection to my service provider and have been getting about 32 Mbps today on a wired connection to a different computer. The new computer with this Asus adapter is getting 26 Mbps consistently today. That’s compared to the 3 Mbps I was getting with the built in WiFi adapter on the HP desktop (2 Ghz only).

Note:
1) This device comes with a stubby USB extender cable that is just a few inches long. I replaced this USB cable with an 8 foot cable and this allows me to move the receiver around to search for the strongest/fastest location. I found a small amount of increase by placing the receiver on the top of the desk (near the monitor) compared to using the stubby cable and attaching to the back of the computer (tucked away in the corner and under a desk).

2) I chose to use one of the high speed USB ports on the new computer, most new computers have a faster and slower set of USB ports. The faster ports are typically identified by a color or some other designator. I have not tried the slower ports to compare speeds.

Overall, I’m very pleased with this device so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, terrible customer service, March 5, 2013
The adapter is awesome, let's me connect to either a 2.5GHz or 5.0GHz network. The included software can be useful but I've had some slight bugs with it (have yet to attempt to resolve them). Using the included software, you can easily force the adapter to use only 2.5 or 5.0 bands, or both. I have not had any signal drops or slow-downs since I started using this. The short USB extender included comes in very handy, as the adapter itself is too bulky to fit in beside other USB devices plugged into neighboring ports. It is also partly rigid to allow the adapter to be pointed in whatever direction you might need.

When I purchased this, the adapter was offered with a mail in rebate. I've never had an issue in the past with mail in rebates with other companies, but Asus has been a different story. In order to receive a rebate, you need a signed rebate form (provided by them), a copy of receipt/invoice or Packing List, and the original UPC. I sent the signed rebate form, the email receipt/order confirmation from Amazon, and the original UPC. But apparently the email from Amazon isn't good enough for them, which is not clear at all from the rebate form. So if you want to get the rebate, make sure you go back onto your account on Amazon, go your orders and click the Invoice button and print that off or else your rebate will be denied and you'll have to go through this whole process again to re-submit. I spoke with a rep on the phone who said the email I provided is just an order confirmation and does not qualify as a receipt. Seems a lot like they're just mincing words, and definitely has not left a great impression with me. Hopefully if I have to deal with customer service again, in the event any issues arise with my adapter, they won't be this difficult to deal with.