Published 13 months ago by George Kramer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good price, otherwise so-so.
I have been using this computer for several weeks. I wanted to get a very portable and inexpensive windows computer with a touch screen. The Centron processor is fast enough for my needs, and the memory and hard drive are fine. As I said, inexpensive and a good value in those matters.

My problems tend to be with the quality and reliability of the user...
Published 13 months ago by M

5.0 out of 5 stars The best value in ultraportable touchscreen Windows 8 laptops released in 2013, December 9, 2013
This review is from: Asus X200CA-HCL1104G 12 inch Touch Screen Laptop (1.5 GHz Intel Celeraon 1007U processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB HHD, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
I wanted to buy a tablet for my Dad to replace his defunct laptop. Primary use would be to Skype with his grandson and Facebook. I looked at the android tablets, used MacBooks on eBay for $300 etc. But when I stumbled on this for $199 at bestbuy.com, it seemed like a no brainer to pick it up. At $200 it is currently the best value in ultra-portable touch screen Windows 8 laptops out there.

It's just the laptop and power adapter in the box. The shape of the black power adapter closely resembles that of an iPad charger. At its thickest point it's about 1" thick and weighs 2 lb. 15.5 oz. - a little more than what's advertised on asus.com - 2.73lb.

You get a standard HDMI port, 1 USB 3.0 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports, a 100Mbps NIC, 600Mbps 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 and a headphone/mic combo jack, an SD/MMC Reader. No Optical Drives.

The CPU is probably the one component that will make most buyers hesitant. But with a Passmark Score of 1464 its similar to Core 2 Duo and some current generation mobile core i3 CPU. Supports VT-x, so you could even run VMware workstation on it. Graphics is the integrated Ivy Bridge Intel HD 2500. Supports DirectX 11, Shader version 5.0 and openGL version up to 4.0. According to benchmark sites, today's games can be played at the lowest settings smoothly. Has a 3DMark score of 340, compared to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650's 2860 - well this low end gaming card itself costs $105, when this whole laptop cost me $199. I don't play any games, but this isn't a gamer's laptop anyway. HD Videos played fine without any lags. Streaming media also worked without any problems. The touch screen is very responsive which really surprised me. I was expecting something sluggish. I found the keyboard to be very responsive, the touchpad on the other hand I was not too thrilled about - no problems, but the surface kind of feels funny, it doesn't feel like your typical laptop touchpad. I have not tested the HDMI out, since I will never use it. I didn't notice any heating problems while using it.

I was also surprised that there were not that many bloatware, removed whatever was there and then I updated to Windows 8.1, took a while, but completed without any issues. For an UEFI boot, it's relatively slow. Opening and closing programs is fairly smooth. Watched a movie from Amazon Prime - smooth video and audio. Installed Libre office - works just great. Next on my list to do is to create a recovery media - it's going to take at least 16GB....

Overall, I am very pleased that I was able to get this deal before it expired (which typically always happens with me). If you want a lightweight laptop for light use which is inexpensive - this is it! Even the chrome books cost more than this! Great job Asus!

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and thin laptop acts like a tablet-plus, December 29, 2013
This is a surprising bargain for the price and may work for people at home as well as those on the road. I was looking for something more-than-a-tablet-less-than-a-laptop for travel, especially for uploading photos. While the Kindle and other tablets work exceedingly well for travel access of the internet via Wifi, they have limitations.

This is basically designed for internet, social media connections, media playback, wifi, Skyping (has a webcam) and portability.

Good Points:

Lightweight:3 lbs. Heavier than a tablet, but still lightweight.

Thin: barely an inch and a quarter thick. Not the thinnest on the market--you can find 1/2 inch thin laptops, but you'll pay more.

Touchscreen: I admit to finding the touchscreen on tablets convenient. When you go between a standard laptop and a tablet, sometimes you miss the quick touch-and-go feature of tablets.

Keyboard--for emails and journaling, while you can become very adept at touchscreen typing (especially with predictive text) a keyboard is faster, especially for those of us who touch-type. Definite advantage over tablet.

Stereo Speaker

Card reader

Webcam

Microphone-headphone jack

Not-So-Good:

1. CPU is the Intel Celeron 1007U dual-core 1.5GHz . This is an "entry-level" CPU. The differences between a Celeron and a standard Pentium CPU are cache memory and bus speed, which mean little if you are a casual PC user but do affect performance. Here's the issue: if you have a resource-heavy application (like video editing software) this CPU could hold you back.

If you were intending to edit videos while traveling--I'd say, this isn't your best choice. It will handle playback of media, but not intensive tasks like editing.

Performance goes with gaming. Older games may be playable. Newer games may not. Not your gaming choice.

2. Small disk drive: 320GB hard drive. Not bad, but this probably wouldn't replace a home computer unless you are doing just light office work (email, documents, internet, some media.)

3. No DVD read-write drive

3. Battery life is not long--about 3 hours, but depends on what you are doing. Could be shorter.

4. Screen is small--11.6 inches. If you were to give up the touchscreen feature, Asus makes a Asus 15.6" X502 Laptop Notebook, which is a similar model with a 15" screen.

5. A newer version of this laptop is due out, with a 500GB hard drive, priced similarly. If hard drive space is important, you may want to wait.

5. No DVD optical drive

Summary: Good, cheap, light-duty laptop. A great choice if you want a sort of tablet-laptop hybrid and you don't have issues with no DVD drive or need heavy CPU performance tasks. Small screen. Models with 15" screen (not touch) or larger hard drive are available, or will be. Onboard accessories like mic, webcam, wifi, bluetooth make this suitable for connectivity while traveling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good price, otherwise so-so., December 19, 2013

My problems tend to be with the quality and reliability of the user interfaces. The touch screen sometimes works properly, and often does not. The touch pad is also flaky. Sometimes one tap works, sometimes two taps work. For reliability I have to use the "mouse click" functions at the front of the touch pad. And when doing this, Asus's flimsy plastic construction shows. Frequently, when I press down on the front edge of the touch pad, the plastic frame seems to bend a bit, which often causes the cursor position to shift. This flimsy construction also frequently shows up when trying to use the touch screen. The keypad is generally good, but has this weird habit of suddenly (and for no explicable reason) suddenly moving me back to an earlier spot in the current line, so that I continue typing in the wrong place and have to redo the line. This has happened once while writing this review.

So my 3 stars are for it being inexpensive and allowing me to get my work done, with some grumbling and correcting as I do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for so much functionality at very light weight, January 5, 2014
Although I bought this ASUS elsewhere for $279, I came onto Amazon to see about buying another for my mom because it is the best value I have ever had in a computer -- and I have been buying them since the first IBM PC came out. Decided to share why it is so great. 1) It is a computer, not just a gadget. This is maxed out at 4 memory/500 hard drive which is great for my use -- Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, simple games and music programs as well as streaming movies from Amazon Prime and Netflix. 2) At maybe 2 pounds, it is so portable. I use it constantly because it fits in my purse and the touchscreen is protected by the hard cover. Open the cover and it immediately displays the login screen. Close it and it goes into secure standby where power lasts a long time. It probably lasts 4 hours or so in continuous use -- I use my own rapid recharge device in the car to keep going all day. 3) The WiFi, webcam/microphone, HDMI, SD card and multiple USB ports give me everything I need except a DVD drive which is increasingly irrelevant as I use the cloud more. 4) I can input with the touchscreen, keypad, and touchpad. I also can choose to write on the screen or use my voice if I don't feel like typing, although those methods aren't as perfect. 5) Customer service via phone is adequate. The rep determined my first ASUS was defective through a few quick questions and told me to take it back to the store for exchange. The replacement ASUS came up immediately showing Windows 8.1 (which is better than awful Windows 8). After I entered my MS account info, the system automatically and quickly installed my applications -- even my wireless home printer driver. No downloading and installing at all on my part. 6) Never discount the envy factor. Two of my iPad-owning buddies have admitted they feel rooked when they consider what I paid for so much more power.

4.0 out of 5 stars The ASUS X200CA is a simple, commodity-level, good little laptop, January 10, 2014
Markbc (Pacific Grove, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this almost on impulse -at BB on Black Friday for $246. A good price, but I can see it was not the best price! I was actually looking for a small windows 8 tablet, but this seemed better at the time, and I am glad I chose it.

It does have a bit of a light or flimsy feel to it that worried me, but actually it is built surprisingly well. I was concerned that it would not hold up, but I took it on a 40-day trip and vacation to three different locations (via air and car) and it held up quite nicely.

I loaded my copy of MS Office on it, upgraded to Windows 8.1 and all was fine. It starts programs slowly, I am used to faster machines! However, once they load the computer runs well and does web browsing, word processing, spreadsheet work, adobe file reading/edits and even Amazon instant video (via web browsers) quite reliably. Only about 2.5hours or so on battery -one time I got more than 3 but that was just word processing.

The touch screen and the small size are very attractive as a travel machine. I have used Win8 a bit before, but this was the first time I was "stuck with it" full time and it's fine. Lately, I actually have found myself reaching out to the screen to try and move something or chose something on other computers, but only to realize they are not touch screen! So Windows 8 is ok ☺

OK, others have mentioned the good and bad -and they are pretty accurate from my experience since last November. It's a nice basic machine and that's it. However, I'd like to mention one other thing.

One thing I was not keen on is that the track pad driver for this Asus does not have a setting to disable left-right swipe motion. (or if it does, please let me know -I tore apart control panel looking at every mouse/touchpad option!)

Anyway, why does this matter?

Well, each time you use the touch pad to swipe, specifically from right to left (say you are moving between parts of a word doc, or a web page), when you make that swipe, up pops the "Charms Menu" (basically, the start menu) on the right edge and you need to make an additional touch inside your document with another tap to restore focus back on the document and put away the Charms menu. I did not realize how often I used the touchpad to swipe r-t-l until this happened. It does become annoying.

I researched and on some Windows 8 machines, you can simply disable the trackpad swipe motion (right to left) and not worry about it (You don't lose functionality since you can still touch the screen to pull up charms etc). However, THIS Asus does not have that as a trackpad/mouse option. (would be good if they updated their drivers to include it!).

I web-searched: "disable touchpad swipe windows 8" or "turnoff trackpad swipe windows 8," and found a link that provided a short script -say three lines of text that you copy and save as a text file (filename.reg). Create this text file, then click on it and after the script is written into registry (yikes!) you're done. Reboot and you've disabled the right-to-left swipe option pulling up the Charms menu.

Trackpad still works to move around word documents or webpages, but now without any distraction. When I want the charms bar I just reach up and pull it out from the right. Perfect!

So to sum up. The ASUS X200CA is a simple commodity-level, good little laptop. If you want a super-duper does-everything laptop, this is not it. If you want a current (2014) netbook-type computer with Win8 that does the basics of computing for on the road or daily use; this will work (once you adjust that darn trackpad). (I don't think I would pay more than $250 for it from any source, however).

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought it in love with it, this replaced my toshiba 15.6,, December 8, 2013
Love it, compact, great keyboard, super fast, enough memory, touch screen, best in its class for its price, paid $299 very happy

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little machine, February 4, 2014
We now have three of these. For the price they are amazing. I bought the second and third after I had used the first and realized how much difference touch makes in a Win 8.x laptop. I decided to replace all our family's laptops with touch screen devices.

Pro -
- Good screen with excellent touch capability
- Small size, light weight
- Plenty fast for MS Office (where touch is surprising helpful), Quicken, Evernote, web browsing, Netflix, YouTube, etc. Not tested for heavy gaming.
- Fast boot
- Good battery life while asleep - can be used intermittently for a whole day
- Useful ports. HDMI, USB, PC video, headphones
- Bluetooth
- Sufficient disk for all my files to be local when the web/cloud is not available

Con -
- Battery lasts 2.5 hours under "normal" use for me, which includes the apps above plus background cloud sync, email refresh, etc. I wish it lasted 8 hours or better, but it appears that will not be happening until 256G+ solid state drives are cheap and common. However, it is still long enough to be useful.

Comments -
- We also have a larger (15.4") touch laptop. It is used mostly for SmartDraw and Mind Manager, where the 11.6" screen seems a tad small, but the little Asus machines also run those applications fine. I use them for those apps when traveling.
- The Metro apps are getting better and have a very friendly interface. They are nice on a small screen.
- The touch pad is different than most I have seen. The whole pad moves when you click. Not a problem, but a little practice was required for me.
- A phone with a screen large enough for web browsing and light data entry along with one of these machines covers 95% of the situations where I would use a tablet. When I have to lug something around I get more value for my trouble with one of these machines (plus a phone) than a tablet most of the time.
- I also use this machine for at least 80% of the situations where I need a laptop. The screen is big enough for most things (although much smaller would not be) and the small, light form factor is nice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Low Quality Parts Create Frustrating Experience, March 28, 2014
The keyboard simply cannot be used for regular typing and the touchpad is way too sensitive. The machine also had to be reformatted every few days. Worst computer I have ever bought.

1.0 out of 5 stars not functional., January 29, 2014
I chose this product because it was cheap. But the position of the mouse/touch pad is terrible - it is so large and sensitive that even the slightest touch from my palm when I am typing will change, delete, close what I am doing, also often it will shrink or enlarge the screen size. The pad is just too sensitive. It is so frustrating and really inefficient, I end up spending at least triple the time with a task because of the constant corrections I need to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my new laptop, June 13, 2014
After my computer of 7 years finally died, i've been debating on whether or not to get a laptop for months. I just wanted a laptop that was able to play a few games and do regular browsing, but i didn't want to spend tons of money.

At first, i was skeptical because of the price, but so far, i LOVE this laptop.
It's small and light weight. It's got a touch screen (though i never use it, its pretty cool, i guess)
It's really fast - i was surprised that i could play my game (League Of Legends) perfectly with no lag on the lowest video settings,which, doesn't bother me.
I love it so much!
The WiFi is really good! I can pick up the signal from our other repeater from about ~200ft away and get 3 bars!
It's screen size is just right. Not to small, and not to big.
The only complaints i have are
1) It doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. Not that i ever use it, i just wonder what might happen if the computer needs to be reformatted, but i supposed you could use a USB stick..
2) I can't see the screen well in the sun... Since this laptop is so lightweight i love to take it out on the property with me and sit outside to browse.
3) Windows 8 is annoying! It wants you to have a microsoft account for everything.. However, this is easily worked around... Still, its really annoying that i can't use any of the apps unless i have a microsoft account, which i REFUSE to get. I can atleast use the Kindle app, and netflix. They are both pretty cool.

I would suggest getting a wireless mouse, and a cooling pad for maximum comfort.
I've fried my older laptops because i didn't have a cooling pad. I've learned my lesson this time.

Totally recommend this laptop!

The above mentioned are only minor annoyances. I'm really glad that i purchased this laptop!