Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on August 20, 2013
Ill be quick about this. I rated it 4 but its more of a 3.5

Pros:
Speed. Ram and processor live up to expectations. Windows 8 running super good, and even though im not a big fan of the OS, Im learning to deal with it. CAnt imagine what itd be like running 16gb, which it can be upgraded to.
Storage. Almost a TB storage. Need I say more?
Aesthetics. It looks pretty.

Cons:
Touchpad can be weird sometimes. It might be I have to tweak the sttings but it just doenst feel right at times.
Screen could use a bit more detail, clarity...resolution? DOnt know what the term is here. DEfinitely not the sharpest or clearest screen in the market
USB ports. With only 2 ports, I find myself wanting at least one more.

So for the price? great buy, but dont expect the fanciest of laptops. Its still a decent looking machine
11 comment16 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2013
The computer is ok, but the touch pad is a huge problem for me. It is too sensitive or doesn't work right. I also had a windows update problem where it would take forever to restart because of updating. The pc works fine when you plug a mouse in it.
on September 22, 2013
Great entry level computer. The resolution is decent can run youtube vids at 720p no problem. Did not keep windows 8 too much bloat. Dual booted Ubuntu 13.04 with no problem and all hardware works fine and Arch Linux.

Great system for the money
on January 5, 2015
Most reviews of a product will happen within the first week or two the product has been received, but this review is about the long term durability of this laptop so I'm writing it a year after my purchase. I got this laptop about a 1 year and 4 months ago and it arrived with the disc tray plastic covering (the thing you push to get the tray to open) hanging out separately in the box. That should have been a red-flag for me about the durability of this product, but because I was in need of a new computer and I was able to Macgyver the tray back on to the laptop I let it slide. About a month later I noticed that the battery was always coming loose when I would take it out the laptop bag, I figured out that was because the right battery lock wasn't snapping back into place and would with the slightest brush of my finger end up locked in the open position. Again, because some caution and delicateness on my avoided this issue I let it slide. Over the next few months more and more issues have popped up and over a relatively short amount of time this laptop has just fallen apart under normal conditions that any laptop would experience. I'll open up my laptop to find that screws are randomly missing from the back of it. The harddrive will just shut down of its own accord at times. The straw that broke the camel's back and has led me to post this review is that one of the monitor hinges broke recently. Just slightly such that the laptop still works, but enough so that I think it has led to the screen flickering whenever I move it at all now. This is just a warning to anyone who might see this laptop and be considering purchasing because of the price. Please hold off on buying this or any other ASUS products. They really are not durable at all. I had a Toshiba Satellite laptop for 4 years that I literally took everywhere with me. It only broke after 4 years because of a freak accident. I have a friend that had the same laptop and did his best to avoid taking it with him anywhere and it's lasted him 6 years now. That's really besides the point though. The point of a laptop is portability and to be portable a laptop has to be lightish, have a decent battery life, and be durable. Unfortunately this laptop has really failed the last part of this test. I'm going to try and get this thing returned as part of my credit card's extended warranty, but I'm probably out of ~$600 and in the market for another laptop after only 1.5 years.

To throw in a kinda-positive word for this product. If you do want a semi-powerful laptop that runs smoothly and can be bought for a bargain, but you only want to use it for ~ 1.5 years then you should get it. Otherwise buyer beware.
on November 13, 2013
I've been using this machine for 3 months now. It's fast, relatively light and can handle the heavy multitasking I need (a VM, Netbeans, Eclipse for Android et al all open at the same time, while browsing several tabs).

Windows 8 was horrible. It still is quite bad despite the 8.1 upgrade.

I'd suggest getting the next gen edition of this laptop now though. There's one with a 4th gen i5 and 250 gb extra hdd space available for just $50 more available as I type this
on December 15, 2013
At $499 and free shipping, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal on a laptop for everyday use. With 8GB of RAM, a nice I5 processor and decent sized hard drive, this is a great computer for the average user; home use, college students. My only complaint is Windows 8, but that has nothing to do with ASUS. I've always had ASUS computers, they are built to last and are consistently rated high for the longevity of their components. And as an added bonus: it's gorgeous to look at.
on September 10, 2013
Love this computer! It's portable and light. Love Windows 8. My only dislike (but it's livable) is sometimes the mouse is extra sensitive but its only occasionally and doesn't bother me that much! Great battery life.
on December 9, 2013
Eveything great only i have problem in space button it dosent work fine but the laptop is light speed and good price
on January 10, 2014
This laptop is fantastic. The i5 proccessor is very quick, and the 8GB of RAM(upgradable to 16) is really nice for Windows 8.1. The screen looks really great also, with a matte finish to eliminate glare. The only downside, which almost isn't even worth mentioning, is the trackpad has a feature called "palmcheck" or "palmtracker". What this does is it stops you from accidentally clicking when you don't want to. Initially this seemed like a cool feature, but it's kind of annoying. When you're navigating, or playing games it could get in your way because when you press a key, the trackpad right and left click are disabled for roughly a second. This is easily combatable, you can buy a cheap little $10 USB mouse and your problem's gone. Overall though, amazing laptop.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2013
Overall I like the computer but the track pad is so sensitive that by merely resting my left wrist on the computer - it swishes the window that I am working on away and I have to search for it. Windows 8 is probably the biggest issue as it is a totally unintuitive operating system and requires extra steps for simple functions. You have to completely exit a document just to save it. And while I understand this is not the computer itself, it is what is running the computer.

It is not too heavy and the screen size is great. It seems to charge pretty quickly and works well, so far.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse