Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 26, 2011
I enjoyed Asylum Harbor very much. It kept me guessing the entire time, and I found the characters appealing and the premise intriguing - I've always wondered what the circumstances were when somebody just disappeared off a cruise ship! I read 'Burn Out' and liked that one, and this one doesn't disappoint as a prequel. It was interesting to me to get the back story on how Rachel Scott (the protagonist) met a lot of the characters that were in 'Burn Out', and I also got a better feel for everybody after reading this book. I think the idea behind this series - a woman whose child went missing years ago now runs a search and rescue operation to find missing children - is a great one with a lot of potential for future books, too. If you like fast-paced thrillers with a hint of romance in them, you should buy this book!
on December 24, 2011
Hohenstein writes a second Rachel Scott story. Rachel was introduced in Burn Out - as a mother who has a child abducted she is now on a mission to find her own daughter and help others.

This installment is a Natalie Holloway type - the 18 year old daughter of the Florida governor and Presidential candidate goes missing while on a cruise with friends. Rachel and her Omni search crew are called in at the request of the governor.

A journalist tells the investigators that the cruise ship line has something to hide - maybe multiple things. DEA confirms that the line is suspected of running drugs.

A tired plot device - the sinister island is center stage. The writing in this second book is not much of an improvement from the first one. Some violence, an illusion to romance and a reference to Scott's own missing daughter round out the story.

The back story has possibilities but Hohenstein's writing is substandard.
on February 8, 2012
What can I say, the book was great. It kept me guessing. Couldn't put the book down, but when I had to, I couldn't wait to pick it up and start reading again. The author of the book is a fabulous writer. Enjoyed the book thoroughly.
This is the story of Rachel Scott. Her daughter went missing five years ago and she has been searching for her ever since. On meeting other parents whose children have also gone missing, she decides to sell up her Real Estate firm and set up Florida Omni Search. This is an organisation dedicated to searching for missing children. In this novel Rachel is personally asked by the Governor of Florida to search for his daughter. She has gone missing while on a cruise liner with two of her girlfriends. Thus begins a frantic search to find her before it's too late. With so little information to go on, can they find her?

I enjoyed this, it was a nice easy read, nothing complicated about it. Having read another Rachel Scott novel by the same author - Burn Out - I knew what to expect. I was not let down. The pace started slowly as we were introduced to the various characters but as the search for Amber began in earnest the book took off and left me panting! Amber shone as the victim and Rachel's determintion and drive to find her was admirable. She will stop at nothing to find her own daughter and it is this motivation she uses to find others.

A great book with a great ending. Give it a go - you will love it.
on April 26, 2016
Not bad for a quick read. Someone needs to hire better proof readers or editors. The careless mistakes were distracting.
For example: a character pours water into a cup and gives it to someone who drinks from a glass; a cafe is described as having ten tables and th character sits , only to lean against the back of the booth. There were also several misplaced modifiers
which muddied the meaning.
. While I realize that this is not the best example of writing, those responsible should have some reasonable modicum of pride in their work .
on December 9, 2014
Great concept. Interesting woman with a different job- finding missing persons. But this was not an introduction to an independent missing person investigator. This was a tv movie police procedural. When I feel like I wasted my time reading a book it gets a one star.
on March 23, 2015
A good thriller. Believable yet exciting. Lots of twists & turns. A book you can't put down. Don't start reading it if you have other things to do, or you'll never get them done. When you get to the end of the chapter you just have to keep going to see what happens next. I can't wait to start the next book in the series! But I can't start it yet. . . . . .too many things to do!!
on March 23, 2015
Definitely an interesting read. Things are just a little too coincidental and fall too neatly into place. However the characters, especially Rachel and Red have good continuity and flow nicely from Hohensteins previous book detailing how she lost her young daughter Mallory and the beginning of Florida OMNI Search.
on June 24, 2012
This book was well-written and a page-turner (or whatever the kindle equivalent of page-turner is). The characters were interesting and the story moved pretty fast. However, this author is clearly obsessed with food. It got annoying reading really elaborate descriptions of what the characters were eating every time they sat down for a meal. Enough already! The food was so intricately detailed that I started wondering if this was some kind of foreshadowing, like maybe they'd find out the food was drugged or something later on. Nope. This chick just likes to write about food, apparently, because it really had nothing at all to do with the story. It kind of makes me wonder if she was just using that to make the story longer. That's a shame because I really did enjoy the story and, if not for the food issue, I would read another by her but I'm afraid it will be more nonsense about food and I'd rather not.
on January 29, 2014
excellent series! I am now addicted to this series. I love Rachel Scott. Traci Hohenstein did a wonderful job creating Rachel Scott because she is someone you can relate to and like. All the characters in this series are like that.