Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: At Games ATARI Flashback 3
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 2, 2011
As the other review mentioned, you probably can find the Flashback 3 cheaper. I paid $49. I could of even paid less, but they were out of stock and there were some sales I missed so I settled to pay the $49 at Walgreens. Still not a bad price.
I can't compare the gameplay to the Flashback 1 or 2, but I find the Flashback 3 to entertain my need for the games I grew up with. It does not contain every Atari game I would want, such as Space Invaders, Pac Man, and many Activision games for Atari, but still a decent list of 60 games. Some of my favorites being Battlezone, Asteroids and Air-Sea Battle, plus some unrealeased games like Aquadventure.
The quality of materials and construction is not the best, at least not like an original Atari, but for the price, it is okay. It is made by a Chinese manufacturer , AtGames. and licensed by Atari.
My only complaints are that it has games that originally required the Atari paddle controllers such as Super Breakout , Night Driver and Missile Command. The joysticks simply do not work well for these games. The good thing is that if you can get some original Atari paddle controllers as well as original joysticks, they are supposed to be able to work with the FB3.
Users will find that it may be helpful to look online for the original instruction manuals to help them learn more about how to play the games and select which ones are 1 or 2 players. There is an instruction manual with the FB3, but it only gives a brief description of each game.
For all you young people who were born in the high graphic video game era of XBox and Playstation, please understand that these are the original video games before your time, so before you say the graphics suck, that is because that's how video games were before you were born. So don't review this if you attempt to compare with modern gaming systems. It's for gamers who appreciate games, not graphics.
77 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2011
I also have the previous Atari flashback 2, this is the same game system ALMOST, sure it has a nice 60 game collection...
BUT...they took out 3 of the best games! They took OFF the game system PITFALL, RIVER RAID and LUNAR LANDER, 3 of the best games found in Flashback 2.0 (but also NOT included in flashback 2+). A lot of the games are duds and homebrews but it also has many of the great Atari classics like Asteroids, Missile Command, Battle Zone, Adventure as well as the Real Sports series. I really wish they'd have included the Atari 5200 and.or 7800 games, those were awesome, why it's just the old Atari games we find nastolgic? I am not sure. Plus I really wish they included the arcade hits like Pac-man, Defender, Zaxxon, ect and the Activision games, I understand it's due to licensing but I mean COME ON! It's an old 1980 game, do they always have to make money? Let them put out the old crappy graphics games! Maybe it will revive the interest and will want to buy updated versions on Playstation, who knows, but they do no one any good just sitting in a vault somewhere! Anyhow, it's a very good all in one Atari throw back, it's a cute sized console, about 1/2 of the original, the control's are like the original and well made. Get this now as it will prob be out of print, good just to hold on to this for memories sake.
PS- I bought my unit at Dollar General for $35.
on September 10, 2012
To begin, I found my Atari Flashback 3 at Sam's Club for $35, and I don't know that I would pay any more than that for this particular unit. As stated in other reviews, the omission of Pitfall and River Raid, two of the all-time Activision greats, is a step backwards in my opinion. The 60 games included in this version are as follows:

3D Tic-Tac-Toe, Adventure, Adventure II, Air-Sea Battle, Aquaventure, Asteroids, Backgammon, Basketball, Battlezone, Bowling, Canyon Bomber, Centipede, Championship Soccer, Circus Atari, Combat, Combat 2, Demons to Diamonds, Desert Falcon, Dodge 'Em, Double Dunk, Fatal Run, Flag Capture, Frog Pond, Fun With Numbers, Golf, Gravitar, Hangman, Haunted House, Home Run, Human Cannonball, Maze Craze, Miniature Golf, Missile Command, Night Driver, Off the Wall, Outlaw, Realsports Baseball, Realsports Basketball, Realsports Soccer, Realsports Volleyball, Saboteur, Save Mary, Secret Quest, Sky Diver, Space War, Sprintmaster, Star Ship, Steeplechase, Submarine Commander, Super Baseball, Super Breakout, Super Football, Surround, SwordQuest: Earthworld, SwordQuest: Fireworld, Video Checkers, Video Chess, Video Pinball, Wizard, Yar's Revenge

As you can see, some of the sports games are needlessly duplicated; there are no less than THREE baseball titles, and why do we need the original Basketball and Soccer games when the far superior Realsports versions are included? Also, most of the "educational titles" are either for very young players (e.g. Fun With Numbers) or too complicated (unless you are already familiar with it, 3D Tic-Tac-Toe is a total mystery).

Another minor complaint is the totally useless "instruction manual," which tells you how to connect the console (DUH) but offers little to no help with the game play or controls, and instead has a brief description of each game. (The remedy for this, luckily, is simply searching for the manuals online, which are fairly easy to find.) But I have to wonder why they would even include such complicated games as the SwordQuest titles, when you cannot accomplish the objectives of these games without the instruction manuals and comic books that originally came with them. These definitely should have been replaced by other games that would be easier to figure out.

The reproduction joysticks that come with the unit are very close to the originals in appearance and design, but are a bit more "squishy" and not quite as responsive. I found playing some of the games a bit harder than it used to be with the real thing. As for the games that used the Paddle controllers (such as Super Breakout, Circus Atari, and Night Driver), don't even bother trying to use the joysticks; you'll just get frustrated and want to hurl them at the tv. Fortunately, the original Paddles can be plugged in and used instead, if you still have a working set.

Finally, the all of the cords are somewhat short. I ended up using an extension cord for the power plug to get the console closer to me, but still had to stretch the A/V and joystick cables as far as they would go so I could sit on the couch to play. Yeah, that smacks of laziness, but that's kind of the reason you'd buy this plug & play unit, isn't it? :)

Overall, it was a lot of fun revisiting these titles without having to drag my original console and carts out of the attic, but I was a bit disappointed with the titles included. 4/5 stars for the fun rating, but the minor inconveniences and less than stellar game lineup dropped it to 3/5 stars. All things considered, if you can grab a used unit on the Amazon Marketplace and get a good price, I'd still give it a thumbs up.
on December 3, 2011
I agree with the two folks who posted before me....way overpriced. I paid $39.99 for this same unit at Rite Aid, of all places. That said, it's as wonderfully awful as I remember it. My only complaint is the lack of ability to play other old Atari games, or third party stuff....you're limited to the included 60 games. Loved Moonsweeper but since it was put out by a company other than Atari, it's not to be. Our family had an original Atari back in the day and this is a great bit of nostalgia....but not for almost $70.00.
VINE VOICEon February 20, 2014
I used to have an Atari and quite a few games but over the years stuff gets lost/broken. The machine works well but the selection of games on the machine kinda suck. I used to enjoy playing Space Invaders, Pong, PacMan, Mrs. PacMan, and several others which are not on the machine. It would have better for them to have put higher quality games on the machine instead of seeing how many they could put on it.
on February 1, 2015
Works great, play all those classics on any tv (with a/v in) with modern picture quality. Seconds to hook up and play, looks absolutley great. Any body who played these games will love this, kids who grew up in the era of playstation this might be lost on but 70s/80s nestalgia products are not made for them anyways! Oem controllers will work on this, i have tried several oem and third party and all work well. Some industrious people have even added a port for the original cartriges (voids warrenty beware).
on January 10, 2013
If you want to experience retro video game action on the Atari, buy the real thing. Then specifically buy the games you want. Let's face it. The vast majority of Atari games that are out there are incomprehensible. Therefore by default, the vast majority of the games represented here and on other Flashback iterations are likely not to garner your interest. Sure you will have lots games, but you will only play about 5 or 6 more than once. In addition, each package isn't' going to have that one game you do want.

Another note is that some of the games were designed to use the paddles which do not come with the set. You will be hard-pressed to play these with the joystick. If you're crazy for Breakout! then you will have to so some shopping and they aren't as inexpensive as you might think.

Just take the time to hunt down your own console and cartridges for a lot less than what you will pay for this.

Having said all that and to end on a positive note. I still settled in and played Combat and Space Invaders with the family we bought this for and had a blast. One positive is that the simplicity of these games are great for young children. I personally watched a three year old practically clear a whole field of Space Invaders before getting zapped and having never played anything like that before. Absolutely amazing. The wireless remotes are a nice touch too, but make sure you put the console in front of the TV as much as possible as you have to orient the controllers towards it.
on January 6, 2012
This retro system is the king of Plug and Play games and very much worth owning it. Definitely experience nostalgia for the old games while playing such classic hits as Adventure, Asteroids, Battlezone, Centipede, Missile Command and many, many more.
on February 10, 2014
The thing works fine, nice vintage feel on the startup and graphics. Has some weirdness when you start playing a game that I don't remember with a real atari where you have to press the start button once a game has begun to exit the "demo" mode. The console does feel a little light and cheap, though I supposed they could have fit the whole thing onto a flash drive if they wanted to... Joysticks feel durable enough as do the cords.
on January 15, 2012
Not only was I waaaaaaaaay overcharged by buying it online from some rip-off company out of Toledo, OH thinking I wouldn't be able to get my hands on one in a store but then we plug it in to find out it doesn't even have the majority of the good atari games like pac-man, frogger, pitfall, stampede.....but then it freezes and malfunctions just as often as the original atari from the 80's did lol and I'm sure the possibility of returning it for my $ is probably out of the question, that is if I could even find the company I bought it from................Figures!