Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on April 20, 2011
I wanted to tell you which games are on this cart since nowhere is there a list. Here ya go!

Arcade Titles

Swordquest Fireworld
Swordquest Waterworld
Tempest
Video Checkers
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I still remember when I bought my DS and bought the Atari Retro set that was out at the time. I felt betrayed by that set. The "new" versions made all the graphics look like urban graffiti in a seeming attempt to make the game more "kewl" and the controls were awful. I felt as if they had stolen my money and my memories. Now they have released another set. This time they got Jeff "Emulator God" Vavasour and Co. to do the emulation. Apology accepted! this is really like carrying around nine arcade machines, an Atari 2600 VCS, and a large group of cartidges in your pocket. The emulation is spot-on. Code Mystics is a new name, but the people involved are from the legendary Digital Eclypse. They pioneered the art of commercial arcade emulation and are still doing it. This is a lesson to young video gamers and a guilty pleasure/blast to the past for us older gamers who had 2600 systems in the 80s and went to the local convenience stores to pump quarters into the machines. Thanks, Atari. This time you hit the target spot-on. Now to go pre-order volume 2.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2011
Love this game and can't wait for Vol 2 to be released. I had an Atari 2600 growing up with a large library of games back in the day. I just can't believe that 50 Atari 2600 games and arcade games also fit on this one cartridge and can be taken with me anywhere I go. Having the original arcade games in addition to the classic 2600 games is also a bonus. I don't notice any problems or slow down on any of the games at all. Every game on here I have had on my Atari 2600 or played the arcade game in the arcades. Atari also included the Us Army training version of Battlezone that was never released in the arcades. I remember back in the 80's reading about it in arcade magazines and now you can play the game on the DS. What I thought was also nice is the instructions for the Atari 2600 games are also included in digital format on the cartridge for viewing. The looks of the instructions are the same ones that was included in the original boxed Atari 2600 games. So you get 50 Atari 2600 and original arcade games for your hand held ds. Recommended for anyone that wants to bring back the 80's on their DS.
on August 15, 2011
I bought these types of games new for the Nintendo DSi and I loved them already when I first started playing with them. Battlezone was one of greatest Atari games that I have ever played and so was Asteroids. Also, this game pack has some of the best instructions for those who don't know how to play these games. I enjoy this set of games so much that I'll never stop loving them. So, if you're looking for the best classic games ever made, you will find that Atari Greatest Hits: Volume 1 is undeniably the best game pack you'll ever want to buy.
on January 31, 2014
I remember when I was just a little tyke and played the old Atari system. I was exposed to a lot of these games despite the very simple graphics and bleeps. Now, as gamers well know, the video game world crashed and burned in 1982 before it was completely revived by Nintendo, followed a decade later by Sony and Xbox.

Sadly, there are a few games missing from this repertoire of both Vol. I & II: E.T., Pitfall, Pac Man, Frogger, Adventure II, and Wizard. As for the games that ARE included here, they aren't particularly satisfying. However, I will fairly rate each game followed by a brief description.

Adventure: 2 stars; Air-Sea Battle: 2 stars; Asteroids (Atari Version): 3 stars; Asteroids (Arcade Version): 4 stars; Atari Video Cube: 2 stars.

Basketball: 2 stars; Battlezone (Atari Version): 2 stars; Battlezone (Arcade Version): 2 stars; Bowling: 2 stars.

Centipede (Atari Version): 4 stars; Centipede (Arcade Version): 5 stars; Championship Soccer: 1 star.

Dodge 'Em: 3 stars; Flag Capture: 2 stars; Football: 1 star; Fun With Numbers: n/a.

Gravitar (Atari Version): 2 stars; Gravitar (Arcade Version): 2 stars.

Hangman: 2 stars; Haunted House: 1 star; Home Run: 1 star; Human Cannonball: 2 stars; Lunar Lander: 2 stars.

Math Gran Prix: n/a; Miniature Golf: 1 star; Missile Command (Atari Version): 3 stars; Missile Command (Arcade Version): 5 stars; Outlaw: 3 stars; Pong: 4 stars.

Realsports Baseball: 1 star; Realsports Boxing: 1 star; Realsports Football: 1 star; Realsports Tennis: 2 stars; Realsports Volleyball: 2 stars.

Sky Diver: 2 stars; Slot Machine: 3 stars; Slot Racers: 2 stars; Space Duel: 2 stars; Sprintmasters: 3 stars; Starship: 2 stars; Stella Track: 2 stars; Submarine Commander: 2 stars; Surround: 2 stars; Swordquest Earthworld/Fireworld/Waterworld: 2 stars.

Tempest (Atari Version): 3 stars; Tempest (Arcade Version): 4 stars; Video Checkers: 2 stars.

The reason that I rated many games as 1 star or 2 stars is because the overall satisfaction just isn't there. As for games like Tempest, Asteroids, Pong, Centipede, and Missile Command, I grew up on those games, so that's why they fare much better. The other good part about Atari Vol. I & Vol. II are the "digital" instruction manuals. Each game is extremely detailed if you don't know how to play one. Atari Vol. II has a much better selection of games, but as I stated above, I do wish that some of the other games had been included. You can find them on the Atari "Flashback" consoles sold at your local retail stores.
on March 4, 2011
I was worried about picking this game up after the massive disappointment that was the Atari Retro Arcade released a few years ago. Thankfully this time around the original game play has been preserved. I didn't own an Atari as a kid (I was an Intellivision snob), but I did play it frequently with friends. But I didn't get this cartridge (yeah - I still call them "cartridges") for the 2600 games. Instead I wanted the Atari arcade games, and I have to admit that if you were an arcade junkie in 1982 (like me) you will love this. Some of the Atari arcade games were not good (Lunar Lander never made it into many arcades, and I'm still not sure what the point is), but games like Centipede, Astroids, and Battle Zone are still fun and challenging. My personal favorite is Tempest, and they have managed to make the game play almost perfect. I've even got my 8 year old son addicted.

The only reason I can't give this five stars is because of the limited selection. I'm sure they could have put many more games here, but then there would be no Vol. II, Vol. III, etc.
on January 26, 2013
I was very hopeful that this would be a great game, based on all the great reviews on Amazon.com. I was also fairly confident that I would be satisfied with this edition, because I already owned the Atari Greatest Hits App on my iPad, which is nearly identical in most respects. So I felt like I knew what I was getting.

This edition is a considerable disappointment for me.

There are plenty of great titles in this collection and there are a decent number of customization options and extras. The arcade games' control options leave a lot to be desired though. Among the TWO control variations each for Asteroids/Gravitar/Space Duel, neither are the best possible button choices and both are very counter-intuitive.

But the main problem with this DS version is the graphics display of the vector arcade games. There are several great vector arcade games included in this collection and they were the main reason for me to buy it.

I am using a DS Lite to play Atari Greatest Hits vol. 1. The console display is entirely inadequate for the vector games. Battlezone is playable because the original vector objects are large, but playing Gravitar (otherwise my most favorite title in this volume) is quite ridiculous. I understand that there was a reason for using a dedicated vector monitor in the original arcade games and that naturally there is a significant trade-off in the conversion from a 19" x/y display to a 3" raster screen. But this is not just an aesthetic criticism. It simply is not fun to play these otherwise amazing games in this format.

I don't know that the developers could have done a better job with this hardware. The games emulate fine, but it is just too difficult to look at and see.

For some reference of my experience and judgment on this issue, you can take into consideration my POSITIVE review of Defender, as emulated on the GBA in the Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits collection. ... I typically play Defender on my GAME BOY MICRO (tiny screen), and have no issue looking at and seeing that game action.

Among the vector arcade games in this Atari collection, Battlezone and Tempest look acceptable. All of the others look so pitiful as to barely be playable.

The 2600 games look fine and this is a great way to play them if that's what you're looking for.

I still enjoy this DS edition and I do not regret buying it. But the things I was most excited about and had the most anticipation for, are not fulfilled in this version.
on August 6, 2011
it is so much fun to see how far we have come with video gaming. looking back at the now phony looking graphics still make me laugh. it also makes me remember all the good times i had with my atari.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I just reviewed Retro Atari Classics moments ago. However, although I gave it a positive review, THIS compilation makes RAC look pathetic in comparison! Retro Atari Classics only featured 10 arcade games, while Greatest Hits features FIFTY arcade/Atari 2600 titles! Oh, and a trivia game.

Unlike my review for RAC, though, there are so many games here that I can't possibly talk about each and every one of them (Most of the games from RAC are included here too, just so you know). I will say this though: A great majority of these games are very fun to play and some may have even stood the test of time. The games are addicting

What I really like about the collection is that it brought a few games onto here that were previously unreleased altogether. Who would've thought an Atari 2600 version of Tempest was going to be in the works? Okay, so the psuedo-3D wasn't even psuedo-3D (it looked UGLY), but the gameplay...it was there.

One thing that bothered me about the collection though was that it included the Swordquest games. Yeah, I get it. Those that have seen the Angry Video Game Nerd video about how interesting those are, but here on the DS, what the heck are you going to use to play those properly? You don't have a Swordquest comic book, nor the manuals for the original games with hints and such.

Lastly there was this Atari trivia quiz composed of 20 questions in random order. This is really interesting, because it gives out quite the obscure facts about Atari and its games (At least...for me they are obscure).

Overall, this collection's a hoot! If you're an Atari fan, definitely pick this up. If you are excited about the fact that there are 50 games in this cartridge, DEFINITELY pick this up! Even if some games suck, you're sure to have a grand ol' time with your classic Atari games.
on March 9, 2013
The emulation for the Atari games offered is excellent, but trying to see the small figures on a small DS screen and playing with buttons and a D-pad is not the same as playing classic Atari games with the original joystick on larger screens. Perhaps it would be a little better on the larger 3DS XL screen. Some Atari games that were originally played with the paddle controllers are even more difficult to control at first and takes some time to get used to. Not as good to play as on the original Atari 2600 or arcade games, but much, much more better than the classic Atari game applications that are offered on smart phones.
Overall, if you enjoy the classic Atari games, this game is not bad for all 50 games offered for the price. You should find at least a few games you will enjoy to play. My favorites are the arcade versions of Battlezone and Tempest. I always liked playing Air-Sea Battle on the 2600 as well as Asteroids, Bowling and Sky Diver.....and yes, I am retro enough to enjoy Pong once in awhile.
There is a version of Battlezone that supposedly the miltary used to train with, but it is actually quite difficult to understand the firing and range settings. There are extras such as original game manuals, history about the games and trivia game.