4.0 out of 5 stars Games List
I wanted to tell you which games are on this cart since nowhere is there a list. Here ya go!

Arcade Titles

3D Tic-Tac-Toe
Adventure
Air-Sea...
Published on April 20, 2011 by Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars A fair selection of old school games.
I remember when I was just a little tyke and played the old Atari system. I was exposed to a lot of these games despite the very simple graphics and bleeps. Now, as gamers well know, the video game world crashed and burned in 1982 before it was completely revived by Nintendo, followed a decade later by Sony and Xbox.

Sadly, there are a few games missing from...
Published 2 months ago by jdealy999

Swordquest Earthworld
Swordquest Fireworld
Swordquest Waterworld
Video Checkers

5.0 out of 5 stars Second time's the charm. They got it right this time., November 12, 2010
This review is from: Atari's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I still remember when I bought my DS and bought the Atari Retro set that was out at the time. I felt betrayed by that set. The "new" versions made all the graphics look like urban graffiti in a seeming attempt to make the game more "kewl" and the controls were awful. I felt as if they had stolen my money and my memories. Now they have released another set. This time they got Jeff "Emulator God" Vavasour and Co. to do the emulation. Apology accepted! this is really like carrying around nine arcade machines, an Atari 2600 VCS, and a large group of cartidges in your pocket. The emulation is spot-on. Code Mystics is a new name, but the people involved are from the legendary Digital Eclypse. They pioneered the art of commercial arcade emulation and are still doing it. This is a lesson to young video gamers and a guilty pleasure/blast to the past for us older gamers who had 2600 systems in the 80s and went to the local convenience stores to pump quarters into the machines. Thanks, Atari. This time you hit the target spot-on. Now to go pre-order volume 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings me back to the good old 80's !!!, March 5, 2011
This review is from: Atari's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
Love this game and can't wait for Vol 2 to be released. I had an Atari 2600 growing up with a large library of games back in the day. I just can't believe that 50 Atari 2600 games and arcade games also fit on this one cartridge and can be taken with me anywhere I go. Having the original arcade games in addition to the classic 2600 games is also a bonus. I don't notice any problems or slow down on any of the games at all. Every game on here I have had on my Atari 2600 or played the arcade game in the arcades. Atari also included the Us Army training version of Battlezone that was never released in the arcades. I remember back in the 80's reading about it in arcade magazines and now you can play the game on the DS. What I thought was also nice is the instructions for the Atari 2600 games are also included in digital format on the cartridge for viewing. The looks of the instructions are the same ones that was included in the original boxed Atari 2600 games. So you get 50 Atari 2600 and original arcade games for your hand held ds. Recommended for anyone that wants to bring back the 80's on their DS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up!, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Atari's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I bought these types of games new for the Nintendo DSi and I loved them already when I first started playing with them. Battlezone was one of greatest Atari games that I have ever played and so was Asteroids. Also, this game pack has some of the best instructions for those who don't know how to play these games. I enjoy this set of games so much that I'll never stop loving them. So, if you're looking for the best classic games ever made, you will find that Atari Greatest Hits: Volume 1 is undeniably the best game pack you'll ever want to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, August 6, 2011
This review is from: Atari's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
it is so much fun to see how far we have come with video gaming. looking back at the now phony looking graphics still make me laugh. it also makes me remember all the good times i had with my atari.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Better Arcade Emulators, March 4, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Atari's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I was worried about picking this game up after the massive disappointment that was the Atari Retro Arcade released a few years ago. Thankfully this time around the original game play has been preserved. I didn't own an Atari as a kid (I was an Intellivision snob), but I did play it frequently with friends. But I didn't get this cartridge (yeah - I still call them "cartridges") for the 2600 games. Instead I wanted the Atari arcade games, and I have to admit that if you were an arcade junkie in 1982 (like me) you will love this. Some of the Atari arcade games were not good (Lunar Lander never made it into many arcades, and I'm still not sure what the point is), but games like Centipede, Astroids, and Battle Zone are still fun and challenging. My personal favorite is Tempest, and they have managed to make the game play almost perfect. I've even got my 8 year old son addicted.

The only reason I can't give this five stars is because of the limited selection. I'm sure they could have put many more games here, but then there would be no Vol. II, Vol. III, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fair selection of old school games., January 31, 2014
jdealy999 (Carson City, Nevada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atari's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 - Nintendo DS (Video Game)

Sadly, there are a few games missing from this repertoire of both Vol. I & II: E.T., Pitfall, Pac Man, Frogger, Adventure II, and Wizard. As for the games that ARE included here, they aren't particularly satisfying. However, I will fairly rate each game followed by a brief description.

Adventure: 2 stars; Air-Sea Battle: 2 stars; Asteroids (Atari Version): 3 stars; Asteroids (Arcade Version): 4 stars; Atari Video Cube: 2 stars.

Basketball: 2 stars; Battlezone (Atari Version): 2 stars; Battlezone (Arcade Version): 2 stars; Bowling: 2 stars.

Centipede (Atari Version): 4 stars; Centipede (Arcade Version): 5 stars; Championship Soccer: 1 star.

Dodge 'Em: 3 stars; Flag Capture: 2 stars; Football: 1 star; Fun With Numbers: n/a.

Gravitar (Atari Version): 2 stars; Gravitar (Arcade Version): 2 stars.

Hangman: 2 stars; Haunted House: 1 star; Home Run: 1 star; Human Cannonball: 2 stars; Lunar Lander: 2 stars.

Math Gran Prix: n/a; Miniature Golf: 1 star; Missile Command (Atari Version): 3 stars; Missile Command (Arcade Version): 5 stars; Outlaw: 3 stars; Pong: 4 stars.

Realsports Baseball: 1 star; Realsports Boxing: 1 star; Realsports Football: 1 star; Realsports Tennis: 2 stars; Realsports Volleyball: 2 stars.

Sky Diver: 2 stars; Slot Machine: 3 stars; Slot Racers: 2 stars; Space Duel: 2 stars; Sprintmasters: 3 stars; Starship: 2 stars; Stella Track: 2 stars; Submarine Commander: 2 stars; Surround: 2 stars; Swordquest Earthworld/Fireworld/Waterworld: 2 stars.

Tempest (Atari Version): 3 stars; Tempest (Arcade Version): 4 stars; Video Checkers: 2 stars.

The reason that I rated many games as 1 star or 2 stars is because the overall satisfaction just isn't there. As for games like Tempest, Asteroids, Pong, Centipede, and Missile Command, I grew up on those games, so that's why they fare much better. The other good part about Atari Vol. I & Vol. II are the "digital" instruction manuals. Each game is extremely detailed if you don't know how to play one. Atari Vol. II has a much better selection of games, but as I stated above, I do wish that some of the other games had been included. You can find them on the Atari "Flashback" consoles sold at your local retail stores.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for 2600 games, if that's what you're looking for, January 26, 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Atari's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I was very hopeful that this would be a great game, based on all the great reviews on Amazon.com. I was also fairly confident that I would be satisfied with this edition, because I already owned the Atari Greatest Hits App on my iPad, which is nearly identical in most respects. So I felt like I knew what I was getting.

This edition is a considerable disappointment for me.

There are plenty of great titles in this collection and there are a decent number of customization options and extras. The arcade games' control options leave a lot to be desired though. Among the TWO control variations each for Asteroids/Gravitar/Space Duel, neither are the best possible button choices and both are very counter-intuitive.

But the main problem with this DS version is the graphics display of the vector arcade games. There are several great vector arcade games included in this collection and they were the main reason for me to buy it.

I am using a DS Lite to play Atari Greatest Hits vol. 1. The console display is entirely inadequate for the vector games. Battlezone is playable because the original vector objects are large, but playing Gravitar (otherwise my most favorite title in this volume) is quite ridiculous. I understand that there was a reason for using a dedicated vector monitor in the original arcade games and that naturally there is a significant trade-off in the conversion from a 19" x/y display to a 3" raster screen. But this is not just an aesthetic criticism. It simply is not fun to play these otherwise amazing games in this format.

I don't know that the developers could have done a better job with this hardware. The games emulate fine, but it is just too difficult to look at and see.

For some reference of my experience and judgment on this issue, you can take into consideration my POSITIVE review of Defender, as emulated on the GBA in the Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits collection. ... I typically play Defender on my GAME BOY MICRO (tiny screen), and have no issue looking at and seeing that game action.

Among the vector arcade games in this Atari collection, Battlezone and Tempest look acceptable. All of the others look so pitiful as to barely be playable.

The 2600 games look fine and this is a great way to play them if that's what you're looking for.

I still enjoy this DS edition and I do not regret buying it. But the things I was most excited about and had the most anticipation for, are not fulfilled in this version.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes yes yes!, April 7, 2011
This review is from: Atari's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
digging the trip down memory lane! i am thrilled to once again play the games of my youth just as i remember them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atari's Greatest hits, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Atari's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
Atari...do you remember that system ? I loved playing these games, and games we tell the kids how fun they were.Now the DSi gamer's can enjoy those same Great games from yesteryear. We told them about it, now they can play it as well. The old Atari 2600 game system had allot of games many of them are on this game for the DSi, games such as ;Asteroids-Air Sea Battle-3D Tic Tac Toe-Centipede-Hangman-Missile Command- and Sports -Football-Boxing-Baseball-Soccer-Starship-SwordQuest- and many more and also the Arcade games ;Tempest-Space Duet-plus Centipede and Missile Command and Asteroids to name a few. A whole host of games us older gamer's use to play at the arcade and then on the Old Atari 2600 system...you know those we bragged how good they were and how good we were when we played them ? Now let the kids play your favorites on their DSi.

Buy It you will love it again.....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›