5.0 out of 5 stars Functional, and useful.
Published on February 14, 2008 by Ira Carmel

3.0 out of 5 stars Defective, carefully inspect yours before use.
Published on December 9, 2012 by Genesis A. Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional, and useful., February 14, 2008
This review is from: Ateco 20-Inch Length Maple French Rolling Pin (Kitchen)
This style of tapered rolling pin is far more useful than the conventional flat rolling pin for making pie doughs, pizza doughs, calzones, and other rolled out baked goods. The idea is that the tapered aspect of this rolling pin creates what I call a "dough front" which migrates around in a circle as you turn the dough and it is rolled. As you turn and roll the dough it maintains a consistant thickness as it is rolled out. This technique is not possible with a flat rolling pin. This kind of rolling pin greatly reduces the "cracking" of pie doughs associated with flat rolling pins.

Without getting into the mathematics of elasticity of substances, and the conversion of spheres into circles, I will just say that the tapered aspect of this rolling pin makes the conversion easier, more repeatable, and less prone to variable thicknesses of the final product. Combine this rolling pin with a board with sized circles and you are well on your way to becoming a super pie maker.

See a good cook book like "Cooks Illustrated" for more information.

This rolling pin is what is advertised, it was inexpensive, and of fine quality.

Sincerely,
Ira Carmel

5.0 out of 5 stars Best rolling pin I've owned, July 8, 2009
This review is from: Ateco 20-Inch Length Maple French Rolling Pin (Kitchen)
After doing a quick check I discovered that I had collected no less than 12 rolling pins over the years!

Wood ones, metal ones, marble ones.....with handles, without handles....obsession?

But once I got my hands on this beauty, the remainder were thoroughly cleaned and dispatched to Goodwill.

If you do pastry or any baking needing a rolling pin....this is the one to have!

5.0 out of 5 stars great little rolling pin, April 9, 2008
This review is from: Ateco 20-Inch Length Maple French Rolling Pin (Kitchen)
This rolling pin is small, light weight, and rolls dough out nice! I would recommend putting some oil on it, every now and then, to keep it looking nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A basic, simple and capable rolling pin, May 14, 2007
M. Swaim (NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ateco 20-Inch Length Maple French Rolling Pin (Kitchen)
I had one of these and I thought I lost it. (Actually thought the Ex took it.) Then, the very day after I ordered a replacement, I found mine tucked back in the far reaches of a cabinet. Anyway, the bottomline is that I like this very simple, very humble pin enough to seek out an exact replacement. Somewhere around here I've got a heavy stainless rolling pin, and another even heavier marble one. But, the roller I reach for is this basic hardwood tapered dowel. This thing isn't for everyone, but for my limited rolling pin needs, the humble tapered dowel is the thing to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT PIN FOR MAKING ROUND DOUGH, March 18, 2010
This review is from: Ateco 20-Inch Length Maple French Rolling Pin (Kitchen)
I make 13" Margarita pizzas. This is the best rolling pin for that purpose. It is tapered and easy to rock left to right to shape the dough as you roll. This is the only pin I use. I've had my old one for many many years, lost it during moving, glad they still make this. I can't use any of the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Knew?, January 26, 2012
Robert Honeyman (Miami Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ateco 20-Inch Length Maple French Rolling Pin (Kitchen)
I'd been using a cylindrical wooden rolling pin for a while. I got this on a lark. The difference in control is astonishing. I'm able to work dough so much finer with this puppy than I ever was with the cylindrical rolling pin. I'd recommend this to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Defective, carefully inspect yours before use., December 9, 2012
This review is from: Ateco 20-Inch Length Maple French Rolling Pin (Kitchen)
I received mine and smoothed my hand over the length of it and immediately got a splinter. The very center has 3 small chips in the wood with small splinters pointing out. I could tell this was probably just an unlucky defect in the center but the edges were very roughly cut as well and needed sanding as they also had splinters sticking out. I hate returning things so I tried to make it work but when rolling out a pie crust, the spots that were chipped showed as uneven spots on my crust as I rolled it and nevermind that even after trying to remove the splinters sticking out to make it smooth, after cleaning it with a warm damp towel more started fraying out.
I am an ateco fan and know they have good products so I decided to return for a new one. Sure enough, the second was of excellent quality with no cracking or small chips but the edges were still very roughly cut and needed sanding but it was a quick fix.

Overall, I was very pleased with the 2nd item and the price since the same product was $5 more at my local department store or cooking outlet. Great deal. I'd just recommend inspecting before using.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome...., December 2, 2010
This review is from: Ateco 20-Inch Length Maple French Rolling Pin (Kitchen)
This rolling pin is seriously awesome. I really only use it for pizza dough,but I can't say enough good stuff. Light, easy to control, big enough to do whatever... it is sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars if you can only choose one, this is it, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Ateco 20-Inch Length Maple French Rolling Pin (Kitchen)
You know a kitchen gadget is "worthy" if it follows you through half a dozen moves and a divorce. This rolling pin outlasted the many "fancy" rolling pins that were just for show because it gets the job done properly and without any extra bells and whistles. Rolls dough quicker and more evenly than with any other style of pin. What surprised me is that even with really bad arthritis in my hands including joint replacement of a few knuckles that the Ateco would be easier to maneuver than the version with handles.

I use this mostly to finish off really thin rounds of dough for pizza so I can't speak much for pie dough and everything else but I can't imagine a better result with anything else. The super tight grain of the wood sticks very little even with very wet dough when floured lightly. Very pleased with this purchase and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient design, June 7, 2010
This review is from: Ateco 20-Inch Length Maple French Rolling Pin (Kitchen)
I bought this rolling just before the holiday and cooked up a storm in pies. It is very light weight, no bulk and makes rolling pastry a breeze. I highly recommend it.