Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ateco 6-Piece Pastry Tube and Tips Set
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Package Quantity: 1|Size: A|Change

on March 28, 2012
I was looking for tips/tubes (Ateco calls them tubes and Wilton calls them tips -- confusing. I'm calling them *tips*). Specifically, i wanted large tips that are a size similar to Wilson 1M (what i call a large star tip and is readily availabe at big-box craft stores). Makes me crazy that listings for these things don't include the # and that there is no standard description for size. I created my own standard nomenclature for tip sizes: regular, large and extra large. I considered ordering a similar tip set from Bake It Pretty but the $8 shipping seemed rediculous. This 6pc set seemed like it could be right-on to suit my needs as a over-achieving-@home-cupcake-baker. The tips are indeed larger then regular tips (such as Wilton 12). Three are large and fit on a large plastic coupler. And three are extra large so they won't fit on a large coupler. The three large are Ateco tips #804 (round/plain), #864 (star) and #846 (closed star). The three extra large are Ateco tips #827 (French star), #808 (round/plain) and #898 (basket weave). I call the plain ones round because, well, the opening is round-- makes sense right? These numbers are clearly marked on the Ateco box so why can't the listing include them? It would save a lot of time and frustration to just list the sizes, numbers and descriptions for each tip and cut the confusion. The information was not available on Ateco's website either. So here it is and I hope it saves someone else some time and frustration. Amazon has frustration proof packaging so why not frustration proof product descriptions for tips?
2424 comments|621 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2012
I hope this resolves some confusion. When I bought these tips I was desperate because I couldn't find any coupler to fit the extra large tips, which are three of the six. I called the company and they said you don't need a coupler for those, just fit them in the end of the bag and go. You might need to cut the bag, but they should work just fine. You will need a large coupler for the large tips, which are the other three of the six. The large coupler is what is suggested by Amazon.com to buy together with these. Awesome product and great price.
11 comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2014
These are the Large and X-Large tips (3 and 3). The picture is very deceiving! If you want marching couplers, DO NOT BUY the suggested Frequently Bought Together Ateco 4-Piece Set of Standard Couplers because they WILL NOT FIT any of these tips! Instead you should buy the Ateco Large Plastic Coupler 404 which will fit the Large ones. As other reviewers have mentioned, the X-Large tips DO NOT need any couplers. Quality wise, the tips are great and large enough for making meringues or macaroons. Excellent quality. Thanks for reading.
33 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2015
These tips make decorating cupcakes a breeze! I hated spreading frosting with a knife. It took forever and the results never looked as nice as I wanted. I had several smaller decorating tips for decorating cakes, but they didn't look great when used on cupcakes.

These larger tips are perfect. I'm able to decorate a whole batch of cupcakes in no time at all. I was a bit nervous about using these without a coupler, but so far I haven't had any problems with the frosting leaking out of the bag.

My favorite method for decorating cupcakes is to position the tip perpendicular to the top of the cupcake, squeeze frosting until it covers around 75% of the top, and then pull the tip up while easing up on the pressure. This is quick, easy, and makes people think my cupcakes were professionally decorated.

I've also used them for macarons with great results! I even made bunny shaped macarons for Easter and I'm hoping to experiment with other piped shapes in the future.
review image review image
on February 8, 2013
Please note that these are ateco's largest tips - they will not fit a standard coupler, and most of them won't fit a large either (extra large is available, but the tips work okay placed directly in a disposable pastry bag). They make beautiful cupcakes, for sure, but also note you will probably need close to double the frosting you are used to making because these things pump out a SERIOUS amount of frosting.

Once you take those two things into account these are the perfect tool for creating great, bakery quality cupcakes.
on August 2, 2015
Alright, so I ordered these wth the expectation of them being Ateco, instead I received some knock off, Chinese made brand tips that don't even look like the tips described in the the photos and in other customers reviews. To top it all off, the package came damaged, it had a hole next to the side of the star tip. I'm so disappointed because this is not what I ordered. I don't know how they work when it comes to icing but I don't even want to try them. I'll most likely return them. I do not recommend these at all.
review image
on March 31, 2007
An classic and awesome little set that I am grateful to own. It's a entertaining cook's essential. Perfect for all pastry and large decorating needs. It's stores away very compactly too. Just be sure to clean the cutters in hot soapy water and dry right away. I dry all tips and cutters in the oven on warm.
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2011
I finally got around to using these tips to frost cupcakes for a bridal shower and they are wonderful! I was able to frost 100 cupcakes fast and beautifully! They are quite large but they pipe gorgeous rosettes and swirls of frosting. I want to use the large round one to make french macarons, hopefully soon. If you're on the fence about these, get them! You will love them.
on February 12, 2014
This set consists of five large pastry/frosting tips that are usually not found in boxed sets of ordinary decorative frosting tips. They are commercial quality and made of heavy stainless steel rather than merely plated like many of the less expensive brands found in hobby stores. If washed and dried completely after each use, these should last for years.

Included in the set are:

804 - a plain, round tip with a medium sized opening
864 - a French star tip with medium sized opening
846 - a closed star tip with a large sized opening
808 - a plain, round tip with a large sized opening
827 - an open star tip with a large sized opening
898 - a basketweave tip with a large sized opening

The last number of each tip refers to the relative size of the tip opening, the higher the number, the larger the opening.

The 808 and 827 tips are perfect for frosting cupcakes with a large swirl finish. The 808 or 804 can be used for filling pastry shells or mini muffin tins with batter. The 864 and 827 tips are used for a more decorative star design finish or embellishment.

I found that the open star and basketweave tips were too large to use with a medium coupler and a pastry bag. Instead, I used disposable pastry bags without a coupler and cut the end of the bag to fit the largest of the tips.

While I'm still looking for some extra large tips for use with choux pastry, this set is a good addition to my baking tools and I use them often.

Recommended.
on August 10, 2015
I purchased 2 sets of these, believing I was going to receive Ateco tips, but instead I got a no name collection of tips from overseas. These tips are way smaller than the ateco ones I intended to buy! Amazon needs to fix the product description for this product! I wasted my money
review image