5.0 out of 5 stars Good first impressions
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:47 Mins
This case seems like a well-built, roomy piece of luggage. Looking forward to getting it out on the road for the first try.
Published 18 months ago by Robert W. Bardwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been perfect
Published 18 months ago by Smiles

5.0 out of 5 stars Good first impressions, February 20, 2013
Length:: 3:47 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag, November 18, 2011
This was a far more difficult decision to make than I had anticipated. After much research and review I selected the Athalon 21" for my new carry-on bag. The bag arrived three days after I hit the purchase button and I must say I am very impressed with the quality of this bag. The build is fantastic, feels so solid yet not heavy at all. It's amazing how much stuff you can pack in the bag. I packed an extra pair of shoes (shoe pockets on inside of lid), two pair of jeans, 5 t-shirts, 5 boxers, 5 pairs of socks, 1 pair of sweat pants, two dress shirts a windbreaker and toiletries with room to spare. There are 4 elastic/mesh pockets on the interior bottom section. There is another mesh pocket and the two shoe pockets I mentioned previously on the interior lid. There is also a full length zippered pocket on the exterior top of the bag beneath the handle that I really appreciate for magazines or a book or what ever. The two exterior side pockets are a bit larger than they seem in the pics on line and that is a good thing as well. This is just a great bag from every point of view. I am going to immediately order the 29" version as well, it's a no brainer at this point.

I compared this 21" Athalon to similar products by Ogio and Oakley. The Athalon was priced lower and that makes it a terrific bargain for a high quality bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag - holds an amazing amount, March 2, 2013
We purchased one of these Athalon bags, tried it out for a short trip, and liked it so much that we purchased another one. They are very sturdily designed and made. We then took both of these bags on a long trip and the amount that can be packed into one of these is amazing. When fully stuffed, the bag still looks surprisingly trim on the outside, without any noticeable bulges. I appreciated this bag so much that I took an inventory of one bag when unpacking at home, to share on this review. Granted, the bag was packed to use all available space. The contents of ONE of these bags was as follows:

1 set Tilos travel snorkeling fins (about 20")
2 snorkeling masks with cases
1 deck cards
1 med. size book
1 bag seashells/rocks
1 rock - 2 lbs

Quite a lot of stuff! Lastly, one reviewer felt that the telescoping handle was too short, but we did not notice any problem with that at all, and we are tall people, 5'11" and 6'1" barefoot. The only negative was that the handles don't snap firmly into place when closed, but they stayed put when closed and it didn't present any problems. We decided to get the green color, and ours is not as bright as it appears in the photo. It made the bag easy to spot at the airport. This bag also has good hand grips in unexpected places, so it was easy to put in the overhead bin on the plane, and it fit easily, too. It is a little narrower toward the top, which could help it fit in a plane with smaller overhead bins. An added plus are the buckling straps which take any strain off of the zipper. Not only do we appreciate these Athalon bags, we have a lot of respect for them, too. Bravo, Athalon!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 Domestic Business Trips.. NO PROBLEMS!, November 30, 2012
I have gone on two business trips so far with this bag. It has been a fantastic experience!

Pros:
Your ziplock bag for carry-on liquids fits perfectly into either of the side zipper pockets.
The zipper lock loop easily go together to put a TSA lock through it no problem.
HIGHLY visible, especially in comparison to everyone else's bags. However, not crazy enough to be considered unprofessional!
Space available is maximized to enure maximum storage.
Even when I overpacked, I had no problems bringing this on as a carryon.
With khaki and jean pants being considered into the equation, you can get 5 completely separate outfits in this bag for sure. Shirt wise, I brought t-shirts and polo shirts.
When put on its back, it will rest on these guard strips, NOT the fabric. This ensures less wear and tear on the bag.
On that note, the heavy duty clasps as you see in the product's pic help!
No matter how you put the bag in the overhead, you can pull it out easily since both sides have a handle of sorts.
Wheels roll great on multiple surfaces.
May not be a four-wheeler, but still maneuvers well.
Handle is wiggly as expected for being collapsible, but not too wiggly that you think it'd ever fall apart in normal use.
Inner-outlined mesh pockets hold content well, even when you turn back upside down or all around.
For most, the shoe pockets will hold your normal tallness sized shoe. I have a size 12-13 foot, and my shoes may have stuck out a little bit.
The inner straps work well. Because of their thinness, I'm scared I would break it, but I haven't even noticed any torquing happen. Make sure to tighten the strap first AND THEN loop the extra strap through the locking plastic piece.
I haven't doused this bag in water yet, but the material and everything seem to have at least some level of water resistance so yay!

Cons:
It would be nice to have shoe holders that could envelop my shoes completely, however I'm used to not getting that luxury.
Sometimes the handle is a punk and wants to stick in the shorter position instead of fully extended. It's not actually an issue since I can roll it in either, but it is a slight quirk. I'm 5'11.5" btw.

Closing comments/suggestions:
I don't regret getting this bag AT ALL. I was looking at more expensive bags from brands like Samsonite. The BIGGEST problem with those were the reviews. I knew the build quality would be good, but I couldn't be positive some of those bags would be carry-on-able around the world. This bag seemed able. The slim-line profile helped me feel confident in that.
I suggest getting those E-bag compartmentalizing bags. In this specific color, I was able to get about the same color green! They are useful!... but of course not required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, May 17, 2012
After researching many bags online for travel, I settled on this one for a recent trip to Mexico because I did not want to check any luggage. It fit in the overhead compartment with no problem and I had it stuffed to the max. It doesn't look like you can fit much in here but it holds a ton. It has many outside pockets which I love. It's pretty light weight when empty too. The extra outside locking buckles made it nice and secure for the journey. I was able to comfortably glide this along the airport, on the plane and thru the hotel with no issues. The handle popped in and out easily for the ride on the security belts or to throw it in the back of the airport transportation van. Between this and a small back-pack I had more than enough space to carry everything for my 5 day trip to Mexico without having to check, and of course, I over packed. Next time I can probably leave the back-pack at home. I got the graffiti color which is fun and stands out amongst the many black cases you will see in an airport. I'm planning on buying my boyfriend one for our next International trip so he can travel as stress free as I did and he won't have to lug around his heavy duffle bag on his shoulder. I can't wait to use it again next week for a short trip to San Diego. Great bag!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been perfect, March 2, 2013
Smiles (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
I literally spent hours trying to find a carry on for my multiple overnight travels. I finally decided on this. It would have been nearly perfect if the telescoping handle were longer. I would have to bend over or lean to walk with it. I am 5'11" and it was just too short. The pockets inside and out were wonderful. Also, the color - "Plaid" from multiple websites I was unsure of. One looked like it was shades of purple, one looked black and grayish. Def more on the gray side, and definitely not appropriate for business trips. Unfortunately, returning. Bummed. Summary, short leisure man bag. But no issues with Amazon. Quick delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 1 week case I've every had, September 27, 2012
John C Wollner (South Lebanon, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I LOVE this bag. I retired my old Samsonite hard side, which I loved, but had > 1MM miles on it and was showing its age.

Bought this based on reviews on Amazon by other buyers and have not been disappointed. I travel about a week a month (sometimes more), and this bag is perfect for that. I can pack a week's worth of clothes and a pillow and still have room left over. I particularly like the hidden pocket on the outside of the lid which makes it easy to pull out the liquids for TSA, or to tuck away my wallet, watch, etc when going through security.

Its light weight when empty, and rolls well. I also like the extended length handle (being tall) and its never a chore to pull though an airport, even for long distances.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great carry on, November 24, 2012
Janet (Rapid City, SD) - See all my reviews
Used this suitcase for a trip where I could only bring a carry on. It held a lot but is not really expandable. The bright color was easy to spot. I thought I'd like the handle on the front, but it didn't really seem as functional as I had hoped. A side handle would be better for carrying the suitcase through narrow areas or stairways.

5.0 out of 5 stars This bag makes me want to travel, June 14, 2011
This bag was probably my quickest purchase on Amazon and i was skeptical about it. But since the day I got this bag, it has just been a good feeling. I was reassured that this is way better than i had imagined.

I used this bag on my trip to Florida and filled it up to its max and yet it was so easy to maneuver, I could barely feel how heavy it actually was. Great looks, great finish and all in a all a sturdy bag.

Thank you for a good experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, great service, March 14, 2013
K. Shen (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
Got this due to all the good reviews. first let me say that i almost didn't get this due to the reviews of the handle being to short, the handle is fine, i am 6'5" and it is plenty long. the bag seems well made, roomy and sturdy, but i don't like the plaid color. I was going to return it for the black color, but i saw a really nice hard shell bag at Costco for cheaper, so going for that. High marks for quality of the bag, and the no hassle return!

Athalon Luggage 21 Inch Hybrid Travelers Bag