Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Retro Toys Deal

Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 23, 2012
Why Are You Atheists So Angry?: 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless by Greta Christina

"Why Are You Atheists So Angry?" is a book that had to be written. It's the inspirational, outspoken, thought-provoking, grounded on reality book that makes you proud to be an atheist. Iconic voice of the atheist movement and widely-read blogger Greta Christina provides a much needed book in a growing movement that is grounded on reason and evidence. In this exciting book, Christina replies directly and so powerfully to questions presented to her by believers. Her responses are direct, compelling and ultimately persuasive. A real treat and a much needed resource for all those who care about their beliefs being truthful. This 272 KB book is composed of the following fifteen chapters: 1. Why Are You Atheists So Angry?, 2. Some Answers to the Questions I know I'll Get Asked, 3. Why This UIs Religion's Fault, 4. Yes, This Means You: Moderate and Progressive Religion, 5. Yes, This Means You: New Age Religion, 6. Yes, This Means You: "Spiritual But Not Religious", 7. Yes, This Means You: Ecumenicalism and Interfaith, 8. The Top Ten Reasons I Don't Believe In God, 9. Why "Religion Is Useful" Is a Terrible Argument - The Santa Delusion, 10. What Do You Want, Anyway? One Atheist's Mission Statement, 11. Is Atheism Activism Valid?, 12. Is Atheism Activism Effective? 13. On Other People's Anger and Compassion, 14. What Now? and 15. Resources.

1. Anger has never been so eloquent. A well-reasoned book grounded on reality and accessible to all.
2. A thought-provoking, reason-grounded rant of evidence-based proportions.
3. An outspoken yet respectable tone throughout. A feat on its own.
4. Christina is able to put in words what many of us have trouble to put in thoughts.
5. Fascinating questions and profound yet intelligible answers!
6. I can finally embrace my anger with newfound confidence. A welcomed indelible mark of wisdom, thank you!
7. I love unique voices in the atheist movement, and it's refreshing to have a female voice!
8. The Litany of Rage! That alone is worth the price of this book. Many will be familiar with many of the points, some are new but all are well stated. Excellent!
9. The importance and necessity of anger.
10. One of the most important points of this book, "why religion sucks and why so many atheist are pissed off about it". Amen, strike that, I concur.
11. So many thought-provoking and intellectual treats, "it makes me feel more compassion for religious people -- and more anger about religion".
12. In support of the First Amendment!
13. The importance of coming out.
14. God as a hypothesis. Interesting stuff.
15. Understanding religion: the claims, the doctrines, the armor.
16. The problems with religion.
17. Same-sex marriage.
18. Great quote, thoughts throughout, "there's an equally important way that woo can do harm. And that's that it leads people away from valuing reason, and evidence, and reality. Woo, like every other religious or spiritual belief, ultimately prioritizes faith over reason; personal experience over external evidence".
19. Some of the best heartfelt rants I've ever read, "But it's disingenuous at best, hypocritical at worst, to say that criticism of other religious beliefs is inherently bigoted and offensive...and then make an exception for beliefs that are opposed to your own". That's what she said.
20. Religious ecumenicalism...a callous disregard for the truth. Can I hear an Amen?? Never mind.
21. A foundation for reason, "Do you care whether the things you believe are true?"
22. I really enjoyed the Top Ten Reasons I don't Believe in God. David Letterman take note.
23. In defense of the scientific method.
24. Debunking the soul...always a personal favorite.
25. The lack of solid evidence for God's existence...oh my Science.
26. A total destruction of the argument for utility.
27. One of the few authors that I can say that I agree on practically every point, "I don't want religion ended by force. I want it ended by --persuasion". Organic atheism.
28. Facts, "The fact that religion is unfalsifiable doesn't mean we have to accept it as reasonable possibility. It means the exact opposite. It means we should reject it wholesale, on that basis alone."
29. The problem with religious evangelism.
30. One of the most compelling arguments why the defense of reason, evidence, atheism is needed and necessary.
31. Why atheists are angry?!! The best book I've ever read that addresses the subject of this book.
32. Great links and an invaluable resource chapter, thank you!!
33. A treat to read from beginning to end.

1. Alan Turing wasn't included in the Litany of Rage. Alan Turing was a hero, the father of modern computer science, whose work was instrumental in breaking the wartime Enigma codes, a genius if there ever was one and whose only "crime" was being gay and was ultimately forced to castration and ultimately committed suicide. That's how they treated a World War hero in's so infuriating.
2. If you are expecting an in-depth dissection of religious beliefs the author provides references. This is not that kind of book.
3. It felt more like an appetizer than the main course, but it was still delicious nonetheless and left you wanting for more.

Overall, I loved this brief book. Greta Christina gets it and knows how to convey her message loudly and lucidly. It doesn't matter how many books I read about any given topic a good author is always able to leave an indelible mark of wisdom. Greta Christina in few words was able to accomplish that and then some. I can for one embrace my anger with a newfound confidence that I didn't have before. My worldview is stronger and I have obtained a new wind of inspiration to spread the word of reason. I want to thank Greta for being such a wonderful voice in a community that needs heroes. I can't recommend this inspirational book enough, I highly recommend it!

Further suggestions: "Society without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us About Contentment" by Phil Zuckerman, "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, "Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity" by John Loftus, "Why I'm Not a Christian" by Richard Carrier, "Man Made God: A Collection of Essays" by Barbara G. Walker, "The Invention of the Jewish People" by Shlomo Sand, "Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson" by Jennifer Hecht, "The Portable Atheist" by Christopher Hitchens, "Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists" by Dan Barker, "Christian No More" by Jeffrey Mark, "50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God" by Guy P. Harrison, "Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism" by Susan Jacoby, "God: The Failed Hypothesis" by Victor Stenger, "Faith Healers" by James Randi, "The Atheist Camel Rants" by Bart Centre, "Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars" by Sikivu Hutchinson, "Bible Thumper to Atheist" by Tom Crawford.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2012
I'm one of Greta Christina's longtime blog fans who's been begging her to do this kind of book for years. Greta has a way of answering lay people's greatest fears about atheism. She makes you feel like progress and respectful communication are, YES, possible. She's fierce, she's funny, sympathetic and yet impeccably reasoned. Why didn't I have this book when I was locked down in Catholic School! It would have been so fun to quote to the nuns.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2012
Do not be fooled by the title of the book. This is not a screed. In an engaging and conversational manner, the author explains why atheists are angry. She superbly demonstrates how to be angry without losing either your temper or losing sight of the goal. In short, she's constructively angry. She got me angry. I hope that you will be angry too, after reading this book.

Ms. Christina emphasizes the point that religion is a hypothesis. The religion hypothesis is supported by scant evidence that has only dwindled as history advances. As she notes, there are numerous situations where natural phenomena formerly explained by "God" are now explained by science. There are exactly zero instances where something formerly explained by science was deemed to be explained only by supernatural events. The book does a great job explaining why the evidence for a God is so scant and evaporating by the day. The book does not address all of the philosophical arguments for God such as the Cosmological or Kalam arguments, nor does it directly address the claims of various theologians over the centuries. I expect that reviewers will criticize this neglect of historical theological thought.

That criticism will be unfair. The book points out that if religion was true in any sense then there would not be as many significant conflicts between religions. Reincarnation and heaven can't both be true. Neither can free will, justification by works and predestination all be true. The numerous internal contradictions alone casts sufficient doubt on religion in general that exhaustive critique of theological thought over the centuries is not required to make her point. Until theology achieves some sort of intellectual rigor in dealing with internal inconsistencies, it can safely be ignored. The religion hypotheses all remain unproven.

Ms. Christina is justifiably angry that a failed hypothesis is given so much deference in our laws, in our politics and in our worldviews. Religion inflicts harm on many people and those who are non-religious are characterized as "Evil Little Things." She convincingly argues that we would be much better off simply relying on reality.

Finally, in channeling the anger into productive activities, the book sets out an action plan and also provides a list of resources. She challenges individuals to do just one thing, so I wrote this review. The list of helpful resources is also very helpful, if you are like me and relatively new to the subject.

Is Greta Cristina an angry atheist? Sure she is. But, she's passionate and articulate. She speaks for many people and she comes across as a fun person to have a beer with, whatever your religious beliefs may be. Greta Christina's book is excellent. You'll enjoy it.
on December 14, 2012
This book is well-reasoned and interesting. However it seems like what the author is most angry about is that there are so many people out there who don't see things as clearly as she does, and that they consider her to be the crank. In some respects they are right. People do bad things and they justify them. Religion is a common justification, but the culprit is rooted in human nature. If you took away religion, you would wouldn't stop people from doing bad things. You would just eliminate one of the justifications. This book does not come close to proving otherwise.

I doubt that many of the people she's angry with will rethink their views by reading the book, and it could serve to just make them angry right back. Most of them won't identify with her 99 reasons to be angry. There's a difference between being wrong and being responsible. The people she's angry with may well be wrong. It's pretty much guaranteed than most of them are, but that doesn't make them responsible, or even part of the problem.

She makes a point of saying that she shouldn't be respectful of what other people believe and that ridicule is a good tool to use on them. That probably plays well with those who identify with her, but probably not the best strategy for making the ones being disrespected and ridiculed all that receptive. I surely wouldn't send this book to my thoroughly decent, very intelligent, and deeply religious brother. He would not see an argument he hasn't seen or identify with any of the straw men being set up and knocked down.

That being said, I personally liked reading the book. I think it's worthwhile and well-written, but doesn't necessarily do what it sets out to do.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2012
Am only 50% through , already worth The price, the early angry bit made my blood boil, rightly so, have just gone past the hair dryer bit, funny as... the stuff on moderate xians, new agers etc intersting. is late . will update tomorrow when I finish . as I have already given five stars, hmm might have to give six based on current rate of progress :)

Ok finished, definitiely well worth the money. The book starts with a fabulous rant of 100 things ré makes her angry, delisciouly biting yet relevant. The book keeps up the pace all the way through, finishes with some good tips about reducing the stuff that makes her ( and others angry )
on March 23, 2012
This isn't "The God Delusion" or "Breaking the Spell", nor is it trying to be. If you want a rigorously-reasoned, dispassionate defense of atheism, look elsewhere. Christina is appealing more to your heart than your mind, and she does it well, in her usual engaging style.

She approaches the question of religion not as a scholar, but as an ordinary person with, you know, other things to do with her life than read 3000 pages of Aquinas and Plantinga. Rather than dissecting the Kalam Cosmological argument or Unmoved Mover argument, she points out that religious people have yet to reach a consensus on how many gods there are and whether they're intelligent beings that meddle in the universe, or just abstract ideals. That religion is often justified by threats of hellfire or "but look at all the good religion has done!", and if you have to resort to such arguments, you've already conceded that you can't make a good case for the existence of your gods/saints/fairies/reincarnation/whatever.

She's not just pointing out that the emperor has no clothes, she's putting the video on YouTube and encouraging others to do the same.

If you've been reading her blog, you'll recognize not only a number of arguments, but also whole passages taken directly from her posts (for which I'm deducting one star). This is not to say that this book is just a collection of old posts: it has been edited and rewritten to flow smoothly and stand on its own.

The book is a quick read -- I breezed through it in two days, while holding down a full-time job. I don't agree with everything she says, but I agree with her enough that I'm happy to recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand the "new" atheists and why they do and say the things they do.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone who has 'any' doubts about their religious beliefs; anyone who thinks that religion/belief in 'God' is the only way to live a 'good' life or be a 'good' person; anyone who has had the 'fear of God' ever placed upon them as a child (or adult); anyone who has lived their life with bigotry and fear toward Atheists/nonbelievers. I liked the format of the book. Easy to read. Similar to an interview with this author. Ask a question, get an answer. (Language might be offensive at times to some people.) This book was an eye-opener for me (and my husband). Some of the the '99 things' will be shocking, if you were not already aware of them. The book addresses the bigotry against nonbelievers; fears imposed & atrocities done to humans, including children. I have recently 'chosen' not to believe in a god of any kind. Since I am new to Atheism, I have to admit that the anger scares me at times. But, this book has helped. As Greta says, I can choose what angers me the most & place my energy/effort there. Great resource section. Excellent book.
on October 22, 2013
This book is different from typical books on atheism, as its focus is not so much on why atheism makes sense (and theism does not), but rather why atheists are angry with the religious status quo. I found her thoughts mirrored mine in many ways and she articulated her thoughts very well. The author also provides an incredible resource section at the end with links to all organizations directly from the Kindle.
on May 22, 2013
Very thorough explanation why atheists are angry, why they have a right to be angry and why it is actually good to be angry.
on March 28, 2013
The bottom line - If you REALLY want to know why Atheists are angry - get the book. Even if you are a believer, you can still see why Atheist have every right to be angry (and so should you). Great job Greta Christina!