Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on September 27, 2012
When I received this I cranked it for a bit, and tested it. It worked fine, so I left it in a bright window for half the day while I packed for a camping trip. At the camp site, the light was noticeably brighter than just hand cranking. The next morning I saw that the red "charging" light was on. So it even charged inside the tent. As the pictures show, this is a small lantern. The product description says to use for ambient light, and that is what I used it for, inside a tent and around the camp area. It weighs 8.6 ounces. I had some jealous friends who brought heavy and giant lanterns which weren't really necessary. I also agree with another reviewer that noticed that the solar charge was brighter than the hand crank.

I would definitely recommend this for tent camping, and as an emergency light. The small size, and solar panel was my main reason for purchase.
on August 15, 2013
We have frecuent power failtures and this lamp is quite handy, I'd used it for 2 hours straight while fixing my car and bearly dimed, its handy for recharge I just put it on the windows and charges, you can hand charge, I just used this feature ones for about 5 minutes and got the lamp glowing again for about 1 hr. This lamp is not for reading its just for finding yourself in the dark, good for camping!!!
on March 24, 2011
I love this little lantern. I just got it today and thought it was going to be a bit bigger but Im glad its the size it is. Its the perfect size for backpacking and comes with a carabiner for doing just that. now I can go camping and not have to lug around heavy and wasteful batteries. this thing will save me time, space, money and the environment if it outlasts alkaline batteries. I wish it came with the cell phone adapter but I think I can come up with one somehow. It is the size of an average flashlight. I took a picture of it next to a sharpie for a comparison. I have not had it in the Dark yet but it looks pretty bright and will be just fine for a light in the tent or if you lose power in the house.
review image
on November 5, 2012
I bought this as Hurricane Sandy was coming and I figured I might need something like this.
Sure enough we lost power for 3 days so I had a lot of time to use it and another one similar I purchased.

I will say, in an emergency it sure is better than nothing and came in handy. It was easy to charge/crank and worked well.

I have to add though that the light output is fine for an emergency but its really only about as bright as the 15-20 watt light bulb in your fridge. Turn the lights off and open the fridge and that is similar to what this will do.

Even fully charged it does dim pretty fast but a few cranks and its back up.

Overall I am glad I bought it and it will stay in my emergency kit but no hand crank or led will provide the light output the larger 4 and 8 D battery powered lanterns will offer. If you want emergency this is fine but if you want more like real lighting to read by and light the entire room bright, get the D battery ones.
on December 29, 2012
Got tired of buying batteries during Hurricane Sandy..4 days no power. Wanted a crank flashlight and found this. It's not big, quite small actually and seems a bit flimsy? but its not. I cranked it twice around and stayed lit for awhile (turned if off and put it away). One month later, I pressed the on button without cranking and it still lit up! Great for sudden power failures and small enough to store anywhere. Great for kids, too!
on May 29, 2012
This little lattern does a yeoman's job. It's sturdy, lots of light from a minute or two of cranking and it's small enough to carry anywhere conveniently. The solar power feature is a nice extra feature.
on February 20, 2011
i spent a few weeks looking for a light like this. like the flashlight i reviewed it's a great idea. this has 3 power soures the sun, a crank and a power adapter.. this light is BRIGHT with one push of the on button 3 led's come on and with a second push all 6 led's come on. there is a handle on top so you can hang it up so your hands can be free. my tent which i also bought at amazon has a hook at the top to hang up lights. this is great for camping and for when the power goes out once again this light is BRIGHT well worth the money solid construction....
on August 14, 2015
Great light. this exceeded my expectations in how bright it is. I keep it stored away for an emergency so I have not tested the hand crank or solar recharge, but I can tell you that it holds a charge well since it is still charged nearly a year after I bought (comes charged) very versatile and lightweight.
on July 17, 2011
Athena Brands Soladyne 7-Inch Mini Solar Lantern

Keep in mind, this is a MINI lamp, but it is sufficiently bright for walking on a dark trail at night or safely lighting a tent or a small room. It can be charged by the sun or a few hand cranks, so no more expensive and unreliable battery use or transporting stinky fuel. It is lightweight, has a decent handle and a clip for hanging; it's perfect for backpacking. On receipt, I fully charged mine in the sunshine, turned it on the low setting for a test run just before midnight last night, and it was still going strong at 7 AM. I would like to purchase a larger one made by the same manufacturer, as I feel it is sturdily constructed, and I like the design. It's my first venture into green lighting, and for the price, I was pleasantly surprised. If you want the unit to charge your cell phone as well, there is an adapter available, but it is sold separately. I do plan to shop for at least one more to have on hand as a backup unit for power outages, but I will stick with this brand name.
on October 28, 2013
Nothing too amazing with this unit, but it works. You're probably not going to want to be using this as an everyday light source, but as an emergency option it gets the job done. Doesn't throw enough light to really do a whole lot other than just make your way around a dark lit area.