5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to quantify but overall, better than butane.
I had intended to quantify various aspects of this unit like, brightness over time for winding and solar charging. In the end, this was difficult to do because as the unit loses power, it puts out less light and then uses less power. I have left the light on for a couple days, upside down, with nothing to recharge it and the unit continues to put out some amount of...
Published on December 28, 2009 by Richard Collette

2.0 out of 5 stars Depends on your use. Not high output, but the hand crank is useful...
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:55 Mins
Summary of the video.

Pros:
- hand crank
- solar charging
- disperses light
- has a handle to hang it somewhere
- has an indicator light to show charging

Cons:
- a low mAH rechargeable inside
- no cell phone adapter included
- low light output
- not sure if it's waterproof...
Published 22 months ago by D. He

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 48 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Athena Brands Soladyne 7-Inch Mini Solar Lantern (Sports)
We have use ours for two years now. Fantastic! We charge it on in the front window of our van when we head out camping and then during the day on the roof of the band or in the front window each day. It's normally good to go for the evening. It last pretty long. There is a high and low setting (6 leds vs 12). The High setting is completely useless as it only really puts out a bit more noticeable light but wears the batteries down twice as face as low. We NEVER use high 12 led setting. If you do use up the battery the it's a really cloudy day you can always charge up the lamp with a couple minutes of cranking. I've done this a few times. It has a charger the we have never used that comes with it. It says you can crank charge a cell phone. Don't bother .. it's a lot of cranking for a little tiny almost useless cell charge. This is an area light and not a spot light. It is a pain to try to walk around and use it as a light because the light goes all over and you are blinded by the light as you walk. Use some great solar flash lights for seeing while walking around. (got mine in a double pack of two flashlight that also include a little battery for emergency light). This is great for lighting a picnic table or a small room. We use it inside our van to light things up when we head to bed. We absolutely love it. Kids will love it too and can learn about solar power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with 2 cranks, December 29, 2012
This review is from: Athena Brands Soladyne 7-Inch Mini Solar Lantern (Sports)
Got tired of buying batteries during Hurricane Sandy..4 days no power. Wanted a crank flashlight and found this. It's not big, quite small actually and seems a bit flimsy? but its not. I cranked it twice around and stayed lit for awhile (turned if off and put it away). One month later, I pressed the on button without cranking and it still lit up! Great for sudden power failures and small enough to store anywhere. Great for kids, too!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for small low cost led lantern., November 5, 2012
This review is from: Athena Brands Soladyne 7-Inch Mini Solar Lantern (Sports)
I bought this as Hurricane Sandy was coming and I figured I might need something like this.
Sure enough we lost power for 3 days so I had a lot of time to use it and another one similar I purchased.

I will say, in an emergency it sure is better than nothing and came in handy. It was easy to charge/crank and worked well.

I have to add though that the light output is fine for an emergency but its really only about as bright as the 15-20 watt light bulb in your fridge. Turn the lights off and open the fridge and that is similar to what this will do.

Even fully charged it does dim pretty fast but a few cranks and its back up.

Overall I am glad I bought it and it will stay in my emergency kit but no hand crank or led will provide the light output the larger 4 and 8 D battery powered lanterns will offer. If you want emergency this is fine but if you want more like real lighting to read by and light the entire room bright, get the D battery ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item to have, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Athena Brands Soladyne 7-Inch Mini Solar Lantern (Sports)
This is a great product. I cranked it just a few times and it gave out a nice amount of light. I like the compact size and yellow color. The small solar panel on the top is a plus, just leave it by your window to keep it charged. It already came in handy during a power failure. Perfect for the house, cabin or to take on a camping/hunting trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have., July 7, 2014
This review is from: Athena Brands Soladyne 7-Inch Mini Solar Lantern (Sports)
Excellent, we bought several and love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 26, 2014
This review is from: Athena Brands Soladyne 7-Inch Mini Solar Lantern (Sports)
Holds a charge for a really long time, even when not solar charging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds a charge for at least 6 months, January 6, 2014
LIGHT:
This uses LEDs, so it's super bright and barely uses any energy. This is great to light a whole tent or a room for a decent amount of time. It'll charge in the sun or with a wind-up lever.

USB CHARGER:
We were able to charge a Kindle with this from 11% battery to 100% through a window on a cloudy day, in just a couple of hours. Absolutely amazing.

HOLDS A CHARGE:
We wound this up and used it, then put it in a box in our basement for the past six months. (It's winter) When we took it out, it still turned on... and brightly!

I highly recommend this product for any camper or anyone who just wants easy emergency light at home without having to worry about candles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charges on Ambient Room Light, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Athena Brands Soladyne 7-Inch Mini Solar Lantern (Sports)
I keep this lantern in a room that's usually light enough to see around but never kept bright. Every now and then I need the lantern for some purpose, and it's always very bright. I never have to crank it at all. Sometimes I've cranked it with the light on just to see what would happen, and nothing seems to happen. This tells me that the battery's fully charged. I've never used the light more than a few minutes, but I can say that I've never seen the lights grow the slightest bit dim.

There is a drawback, though, in that the light doesn't reach all angles I would want it to reach. This makes a crank flashlight often more convenient, because it's so easy to point a flashlight exactly at what you're looking at.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Mini Lantern Packs a Punch, December 28, 2013
M Live (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Athena Brands Soladyne 7-Inch Mini Solar Lantern (Sports)
Soladyne puts out awesome Operating Instructions (one folded page). It is precise, no typos, clear and accurate picture, and... best of all the back page lists Power Duration.

After 1 hour of solar charging you get 40 minutes with 3-LEDs - 30 minutes with 6-LEDs
After 5-6 hour of solar charging you get 5 hours with 3-LEDs - 2 1/2 hours with 6-LEDs

After I MINUTE of cranking (easy!) 60 minutes with 3-LEDs - 30 minutes with 6-LEDs

It has cell phone charging capabilities if you purchase an adapter but I do not need this feature. I suggest you hang this lantern above you because the LEDs are really strong in contrast to darkness. I am extremely pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite lantern of the bunch., December 14, 2013
This review is from: Athena Brands Soladyne 7-Inch Mini Solar Lantern (Sports)
Dealing with a few power outages due to hurricanes or distracted drivers knocking down poles, I amassed various crank lanterns to keep around the house for emergencies. This Soladyne unit is well thought out, provides ample light for my needs, keeps a good charge and allows for various ways to power or charge the unit.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 48 | Next ›