4.0 out of 5 stars MEDIA SHELF
Published on June 18, 2012 by darkmusiqfaerie

3.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For
This only gets 3 stars because after a cost/benefit analysis, the downsides of this purchase significantly impinge on the upsides.

Pros:

1. It is really pretty when filled with media. It's rather tall and holds quite a few media items, so it's mostly attention-getting in a good way.

2. The price was decent. I purchased this unit from...
Published on April 11, 2012 by Quipper

3.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, April 11, 2012
Quipper (United States) - See all my reviews

Pros:

2. The price was decent. I purchased this unit from Walmart for about $71 (including tax).

Cons:

1. It's so tall and the shelves are so narrow that without using the supplied wall brackets, one on each side near the top, it would not be stable. So wherever you put the unit, that's where it will be for a while! I happen to think the brackets aren't that attractive.

2. The packaging says all you need to assemble the unit is a screwdriver, but in practice I absolutely needed a drill. No fewer than 6 pre-drilled holes were far too small. And that drilling required a very steady hand, b/c if I tilted the drill bit a little to the left or right, it would have gone through the side of one of the panels. And the holes needed to be pretty deep too, to accommodate metal pins that were supposed to fit in them. The whole problem was fixable, but really tiring and aggravating.

3. The directions don't remind you to be careful which sides should face up and which should face down. Obviously, it's important to get this right. The black finished front needs to face forward and the unfinished particle board needs to ultimately face the wall (if they had just finished the back edge, it wouldn't matter; but it must save them a few cents to leave it ugly). I put the pieces together slowly at the beginning and everything worked out okay, but later I got a little careless and screwed the shelf together with some of the unfinished 'wood' facing forward. The problem then became the cheap screws, several of the heads of which got a little stripped when I tightened them into the unit the first time. Now I'm no carpenter, but I know not to let the screwdriver run ramshackle over a screw's head. Maybe I still erred a bit, but it seems that these screws were easier to wreck than most. I was able to remove all but 1 screw. That one was damaged so much that I wasn't able to remove it with a screwdriver. So then I had to find another solution, b/c there was no leaving the unit together as it was. So I used a hacksaw to cut apart the cabinet shelf from one of the sides, meaning I also had to cut through a wooden dowel which was part of the assembly. It all worked in the end, and it was mostly due to my own mistake, but hopefully this anecdote can serve as a word to the wise.

4. Assembling the back panel is definitely a two-man job. I thought that perhaps it would be stable enough for me to attach it with the small screws provided, but it was not. My wife had to hold the unit stable while I wrangled the panels into place and fought the tiny screws with my power screwdriver.

5. CDs and DVDs hang over the edge of each shelf by almost exactly one inch on every shelf but the bottom/base of the unit. Since this shelf was specifically designed to store this type of media, you'd think that the shelves would be large enough to hold the media they're made to hold!

I don't hate that this unit--now assembled--is in my house, but I also don't forsee myself keeping it beyond 10 years. Probably the first time I need to move it, I will give it away and buy a solid wood rack that I won't mind keeping for 30 years. I bought this unit with an eye toward potentially buying two others if I liked it enough. Because of the difficulty in assembly, I'm looking for another rack of higher quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars MEDIA SHELF, June 18, 2012
This review is from: Atlantic 35435725 Media Tower Elite Large 837 CD or 630 BluRay (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased this media shelf for my fiancee as a Christmas present. When it arrived we put it together, together. Putting it together was fairly simple as long as you pay attention to the sides and make sure the proper side is up or facing outwards. What took us the longest was screwing in the backboard because we did not have a powered drill. I would suggest borrowing one if you dont have one.
The only problem we had was that two of the screws didn't properly align to the holes that were predrilled. The screw ended up going through the back and we were able to see it through the front of the shelf. One screw also ended up really scratching the side of the board where it was supposed to go into. We decided to completely remove these two screws. It fit easily to a part of a wall right next to a door. My fiancee easily owns over 500 blue rays, DVD's and XBOX/Wii games all together. Everything fit nicely into this shelf and we even have room to keep adding blue rays and several decorative touches. I would definitely purchase again (only this time have a power drill handy). Lots of room, looks great and fits in small places!

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional yet cheap and flimsy, February 25, 2013
I purchased this based on other reviews and thus had a pretty good idea of what to expect. I received exactly what I thought I would -- a rather cheaply made cabinet. The instructions are good, I'll give you that, but the wood is so flimsy that I often wondered if some of the pieces were going to break as I was assembling it. The way the top half connects to the bottom half is a joke. It is not sturdy at all. A word of advice be careful when setting the shelf upright after assembly, or it will easily break in half. Also make sure you align the 4 backing panels prior to screwing them into the back of the shelf. If one panel is out of alignment, it will force all the other panels up or down and extend past the top or bottom of the cabinet and you will have to unscrew every one of them to re-align. Also the boards are so thin, if the backing screws are misaligned it will ruin the outside finish when they poke through.

The only reason I give this cabinet 3 stars is it does look nice once you get your collection into the cabinet and all the flimsiness and flaws are covered. Just make sure you secure the top portion to the wall. Also be ready to set aside at least 3 hours for assembly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Great, January 13, 2013
retrodog (Houston/Galveston TX) - See all my reviews
Instructions are poor. Some shelves are not actually attached but instead, slide into mating grooves. Very strange design. But I suppose it seems to work adequately and holds a lot of DVDs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better!, December 29, 2013
I received this item within the time given. While putting the tower together there were quite a few issues.

1. While assembling a slot on the "F" board was not cut in the proper place which causes the "B" board to not be level. I had to force the bend the "B" board (hoping not to break it) into place to get the screw in place. With then tower completed it causes for me to lose space for DVD's, not to mention a noticeable flaw in the shelf.

2. The dowels provided for connecting the 2 halves should be longer. I had great keeping them together while trying to screw on the back board.

3. The assembly requires more than one person.

Beside the issues, the shelf is great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!!, April 24, 2013
Bekki Weber (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
Within 5 minutes of beginning to put this together, I wanted to set it on fire. Unfortunately, I was in dire need of a space to store my dvds.

I am very adept at constructing shelving units. However, this media tower is produced so poorly that I had to use super glue to hold it together. This product is not worth your time, money, hassle, and energy. Go with another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Cheaply Made!!, March 9, 2014
I bought this item after reading some amazon reviews and bought it anyway. I should of listened to those reviews a little more! This item is junk! very thinly made and flimsy. Upon screwing in the screws the boards started splitting down the sides of where I was screwing. Just don't buy this.

1.0 out of 5 stars A flimsy piece of garbage, March 18, 2014
Having bought a similarly sized media tower from Atlantic in the past, we expected this would be the same quality. We were wrong - this is poorly made and utter garbage. It was rather simple to put together, but not sturdy at all. Halfway through, you put the top half onto the bottom half which was easy, but then when assembling the backboards to the entire unit, the top half fell off! After backtracking and reassembling the top and bottom together, we got the rest of the backboards on and thought all was well, but sadly the shoddy screws used to keep them in place had chipped and cracked the wood. Of all the shelves I've put together, this is by far the worst quality I've experienced. Extremely disappointing, especially considering the other Atlantic unit we purchased was the same dimensions and price...so it's a bit baffling what happened to the quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design, terrible build, great for display., November 4, 2013
Very poorly designed. Building it is definitely a two person job. Bottom half and top half are not held together very well, and when trying to put on backing, they would break apart and fall. I have massive experience building furniture, this is not a very well designed product to build.

That being said, as soon as you get it against the wall, it is a great storage tower and looks really awesome. If the building quality was better, this would be rated higher. Holds a large amount of movies. MUST SECURE TO WALL or else it will tip and break. There are better, more well built products out the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars A nightmare to assemble, October 19, 2013
The top half and bottom half of this media tower must be connected with cam screws and cam locks which would not engage, no matter how hard I tried. Assembly is long and arduous. You have to be very careful to match the painted sides of the shelf edges with the frame because they didn't paint the whole thing. The whole thing looks flimsy and the worst thing is that the shelves are one inch shallower than the width of a CD so CD's will overhang the shelves. It is going back.