5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!
5 Stars!

Published on November 14, 2011 by error

3.0 out of 5 stars so-so
compare it too Def Tech SSA50 and you will understand it doesn't make sense to pay the same money for less
Published 14 months ago by Igor Demidov

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Atlantic Technology FS-7.1-GLB 7-Channel Home Theater Surround Sound Soundbar Speaker (Single, Gloss Black) (Electronics)
5 Stars!

The speaker is nothing short of being spectacular looking. It's design is stunning and is second to none. It has a glossy black finish with solid construction and it matched my black tv stand from Dania Furniture flawlessly. Once I unpacked it, I couldn't wait to set it up. I've done plenty of research both online and offline and I bought the top rated (in the midrange category) 7.1 channel AV receiver - Denon AVR-1912 (it set me back another $500). You can also connect it to Pioneer VSX-1021-K or Yamaha RX-V671, but I was assured that Denon will sound the best and its design complimented the speaker, so I went with it. And, those who assured me were right. The sound coming out of the sound bar is fantastic and filled the living room (roughly 400 sq. ft. or 3400 cubic feet) with smooth and accurate sound (minus the subwoofer experience which is another $350). But you have to remember one thing - it's a virtual surround technology - you can't fully replace the back speakers with a single front loud-speaker. No matter how good it sounds, don't expect the surrounding walls to bounce the sound waves back into your ears. Even if that happens, it won't be the same experience as the real surround sound with the physical speakers set behind you. If you accept this reality and don't expect the front speaker to perform miracles, then you will love this sound bar as much as I did. It's a great performing SOUND BAR and it is best for those who don't want to deal with extra wiring and extra speakers but you still need an AV receiver and a subwoofer. The whole setup will cost you about $1,800 + speaker wire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passing the Bar, November 14, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of the great advantages of cable television, DVDs and on-line movie services is that they come with exquisitely recorded surround soundtracks. To get the most from this technology requires a surround sound system. In earlier days this required elaborate speaker arrangements, but wall-mounted flat-screen sets have seen the arrival of sound bars which can also be mounted on the wall as well as on a platform in front of the TV. The FS-7.1 is Atlantic Technology's entry in this competition.

The speaker set is an elegant looking forty-three and one-half inches long black bar that plays seven channels of sound out of seven speakers. These include angled speakers on the end of the bar that provide the side and back channels. There are seven terminals on the back to be wired to the speaker terminals on an amplifier. Despite its 37 pound weight installation was a snap because I had only one place to conveniently put the speakers and that was on top of my TV. More care would be required to install the set on a wall and might effect the layout of your TV slightly since the bar should be fastened to studs.

Now a warning. I have one of the few high definition CRT sets in the world and the tube is easily effected by the magnets in the sound bar. When I first went to install the sound bar, I got a rainbow of colors on my set from the magnetic interference. When I removed the sound bar the colored screen was unchanged. However, most CRT TVs include an automatic degaussing function that works on startup and after a few times turning the set on and off the screen cleared.

When I called Customer Support at Atlantic Technology they instantly understood the problem and told me to send the bar back to them at their expense and they would see what they could do with shielding. I received the bar back a week later with Atlantic Technology's advice that they had only been able to fit a minimum amount of shielding into the small space left in the speakers so that they also sent me a shielding plate that I could place between the speaker and the TV. I wired the speakers while within a foot of the TV and even though none of the equipment was powered during wiring, when I placed the plate and bar on top of the TV, the magnetic patterns reappeared. I went through the on-off degaussing process a few times and the patterns disappeared. I then remove the plate, leaving the speakers in place and the patterns did not reappear. Throughout I was impressed by the quality of consideration of the customer service folks.

To test the surround system, I watched the updated version of "Blade Runner", especially the sequence with Zhora in the Taffey Lewis bar. (If you haven't seen "Blade Runner" the following might be a spoiler.) The speaker threw a sound wall of about 180 degrees in front of me that captured the noisy ambiance of the bar exactly. When Zhora broke through the store windows I could hear the tinkling of glass just as clearly as on my regular sound system with floor-mounted speakers and surround speakers mounted to the sides. But when Deckard fired his gun, it didn't provide the convincing boom of my larger speakers, even though I have the surround crossover for the larger speakers set at 140Hz (my neighbor complained so much when I used a sub-woofer that I had to build a sound dampening wall between us and now avoid deep bass) and the crossover for the FS-7.1 set at the 100Hz recommended by Atlantic Technology when a separate sub-woofer is not used. Moreover sounds that seemed to come from the rear on my larger system seemed to come from the side with the sound bar. Based on an illustration in the instruction manual, I suspect that was because there were no walls to reflect side and back channels from the angled speakers.

On the other hand, my freestanding system occasionally sounds a tiny bit discontinuous, while the sound of the FS-7.1 provided a continuous wall of sound.

I tested the speakers with surround sound video broadcasts with results similar to the DVD.

I also tested the speakers as stereo speakers using Leonard Bernstein's recording of the Mahler Second Symphony. Even though the right and left speakers are only a few inches apart, there was adequate separation, although not as great as can be had with separate speakers. Although not the same as listening in Carnegie Hall, the FS-7.1 provided a good listening experience. On the other hand the woodwinds and French horns were not as mellow as larger free-standing speakers and the tympani a bit disappointing. Still the sound was far superior to boom box or shelf systems.

The advantage of the FS-7-1 is a matter of convenience and price. You don't have the larger speakers taking up room, or the problem of running wires under baseboards and through walls that a conventional system would provide while you get a high-enough sound quality that most people will enjoy. Atlantic Technology has developed an excellent product for the size and shape format. They also make a companion sub-woofer, the SB-900 that should take care of the weakness in the low spots (if not the neighbors). On the other hand, the speaker requires a separate amplifier, unlike several competing products. Sound systems are very personal and a listening comparison is essential. If you are interested in a sound bar, this one should definitely be on your list of candidates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product and recommended, November 17, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow I really like this sound system for my HD tv. We have a new Sony 3D,HD. I found hooking up the bar easy and straight forward with no real problems or lack of instruction. It came well packed and to protect the finish they put into a silk like bag. This is a quality product that really makes the difference in sound compared to the television speakers. Be aware this speaker bar is heavy. Nonetheless, if installed correctly, according to their suggestions/instructions you will have true quality surround sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly rich, well defined music, in a most elegant soundbar, with flexible input options (3, 5 or 7 channels)., November 16, 2013
Waow! This is by far one of the most spectacular soundbars ever built It is simply awesome. It produces very crisp sound. It hits the highs and lows very nicely, so the music is very well defined. It also has 7 channel inputs. BUT, you don't need to use all of them. All speakers will still fire quite effectively whether you connect 3 channels, 5 channels, or 7 channels. This feature will allow you to use the soundbar as an LCR only, to complement an existing surround system, or a 5.1 (if you were to add a subwoofer), or a 7.1 (if you were to add a subwoofer, of course).

I have tried most speaker soundbars, and these were simply ASTOUNDING. There is a helpful video review, if you simply google Audio Advisor and Atlantic Technology FS 7., by Lawrence Davis.
The link is: [...]

The bottom line, this is such a rich soundbar.... and the fact that it has several channels will enable you to connect it to two sources...the Nuvo /radio/sirus, and your A/V receiver, or to two sources at the same time, independently, without a switcher (be careful not to connect two wires to the same channel). If you have only one source, all you need is get to the soundbar with 3 speaker wires.

Pros: Well defined sound. Rich. Awesome Surround. All in one compact soundbar. Beautiful finish. Just beautiful piano black finish. Well crafted. Designed/Made in the U.S.A.!!

Cons: Heavy. This thing is well built. Also, the spring connectors in the back have small holes. So you have to squeeze your (high end) 12 gauge wires to hook them up. However, if you are using 14 or 16 gauge wires (i.e., thinner wires), you should be able to plug them directly. Otherwise, you can buy pin connectors, and mount them at your wire ends. Wish the holes were slightly bigger, as in the case of the Klipsch G-42 (BTW, the Klipsch G-42 is another ASTOUNDING soundbar, albeit limited to 3 channel inputs only).

Summary: If you can afford this speaker, it will bring new life to your home theater, living room, or media roomk! Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. This is a high quality product that works sounds amazing....., January 9, 2014
I have been building a movie system for the last 18 months for around $1500. I did not want to buy it all at once as $1500 is a lot of money. But it was a process and I am happy with the final setup and wanted to share my experience as it seems a bit of a jungle out there.

This is the final setup:

The big ticket items:
Atlantic Technology FS-7.1-GLB 7-Channel Home Theater Surround Sound
Atlantic Technology SB-900DF-BLK 8" Down-Firing Powered Subwoofer, 125-Watt (Single, Black)
Optoma DW339 WXGA, 2600 Lumen, 3D Multimedia Projector
Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2- Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver, Black
Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (Black)

Wiring
Mediabridge Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet 15 feet - Category 2 Certified - Supports 3D and Audio Return Channel
RCA AH16100SR 100 Ft. 16-Gauge Speaker Wire
Sewell Direct SW-29863-12 Deadbolt Banana Plugs, 12-Pair

The setup really does work so well together. It started with an Optoma projector that (when the room is quite dark) is just amazing. The picture was so much better than anything you could imagine. The contrast ratio is 1:5000 which makes for great colors and blacks. The picture is top quality and always amazes anyone who sees it. For a screen I started making a huge one using 'screen' fabric, but it turned out to not as good as simply painting my drywall with Behr's Silver Screen paint from Home Depot. Super cheap screen option. Also, painted the whole wall so that the projector could change aspect ratio for films/tv and it always fits.

I then purchased a rubbish $300 Sony 5.1 system that was not worth the money at all. You had to play the sound really loud, you could not hear speech properly and it was an annoying experience. But it did lead to the purchase of this sound bar.

I got the sound bar on black friday for $400, used, but in PERFECT condition. It is a lot bigger and heavier than you would imagine. Solid construction and really worth the money. I then went 'crazy' and thought I have gone this far I must buy the subwoofer too. And yes, it is worth it. Got the down facing one as I have kids and I did not want them poking fingers into the speakers. The subwoofer, a proper one, like this one rounds off the sound. But not in an obnoxiously loud way either. It just makes everything seem more real and when the movie is really loud it will shake your stomach - but only for a second. It amazes me that this level of quality is now so affordable.

The whole surround sound/sound bar argument is moot I reckon. This sound bar totally works by shooting sound out the sides and if you have walls on either side it feels like action is happening to the sides. I am sure you could get a better 'surround' experience with physical speakers actually placed around you, but the Audyssey (had to look up the spelling again) software is great. Plus when you go to the cinema, most of the sound comes from the front anyway. It is the quality that matters. It is the quality that really provides the suspension of disbelief.

The amplifier purchase was awesome too. The Onkyo seems to be a good make and has not given me any trouble.

The DVD player, that is mainly used for hooking up to the Netflix/Amazon works well and Sony keeps downloading new software for it and the user interface has vastly improved with the new updates. I quite like it. Cheap too. I played bluray Star Wars on this - and yes, it was jaw dropping.

Anyhow - the overall effect is fantastic and I highly recommend this rig for the price point. I watched World War Z with the wife the other night and I actually got freaked out by the stupid zombies and it all had to do with the immersive nature of the setup. The sound was perfect, the projected screen is huge across the room. 140" screen.. and this was all being streamed down from the internet using Verizon FIOS 25Mb/s connection download. Not bad at all.

All of this gear was purchased on Amazon. I waited for deals and found them.

Good luck getting your home cinema together. It really is worth the effort. I am a happy customer and movie watcher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A different breed of sound bar, November 18, 2013
This is a different breed of sound bar. Rather than being a sound bar with line level inputs electronics, amplifiers, etc ... This is a special speaker cabinet packaged as a sound bar. You drive this via a receiver with the appropriate speaker wires. The results are great, especially if your receiver does a great job with room correction. The biggest challenge is that you do need the receiver, the associated wiring, and a place to hang this rather heavy device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, October 18, 2013
Great sound. Easy to set up. Very high quality. Make sure you add a sub-woofer to round out the package.

4.0 out of 5 stars Above average performance, January 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This speaker was a breeze to setup. Instructions were clear start to finish, and sound output is solid and clear. The instructions even provide steps for setting up the speaker bar without a subwoofer, which is perfect, because right now, that's the configuration I'm using. WIth that, I was able to get decent bass response without having to convince my wife we need a subwoofer in the living room :)

Regarding the sound field, I am not necessarily getting the full surround effect as promised. However, I do have it in a very oddly shaped room, with windows on one side, and completely open area (kitchen/hallway) on the other, which obviously isn't a fair test for this unit, since it has little to nothing to bounce the sound off.

That aside, I am still impressed by the far more immersive sound this provides compared to my old entry-level Sony speakers. Note: this unit did not include speaker wire. Not a big deal for me, because I was expecting that, but thought it worth mentioning.

3.0 out of 5 stars so-so, July 10, 2013
Igor Demidov (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound!, November 3, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The speaker was larger than expected but fairly simple to install. It fits on the television stand behind the television but can also be mounted on the wall. Everyone loves the sound quality, it is a fantastic product.

Rate and Discover Movies