5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!
I saw ATLANTIS last night, accompanied by my 65 year-old mother, and we both had a great time. No, it's no LION KING or BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, but it's not meant to be either; it's meant to be something different for Disney, and it is. The action scenes are amazing, sometimes evoking for me images from the STAR WARS movies. The dialogue is often sharp, fast and...
Published on June 16, 2001 by JM Yoda

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much Disney. Not enough depth.
Beautiful movie, great special effects, excellent voice talents, but weak execution. Atlantis is another one of those movies with a great amount of potential, but just sits there without really pushing the boundaries beyond your standard Disney mold. It isn't necessarily a bad movie, but it's shortcomings definitely short out what virtues it has.

There's...
Published on June 17, 2005 by SRFireside

‹ Previous | 137 38 3944 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars I left bored and apathetic, July 21, 2001
The story moves forward at a pretty quick clip, unfortunately sacrificing necessary character development along the way. When our hero is ultimately double crossed, I had a hard time caring. It seemed pretty obvious it would happen.
Some beautiful animation along with some not-so beautiful, it didn't make up for the minimal story. And given the number of writers credited, along with the fact that ATLANTIS is strangely similiar to the anime NADIA from 10 years previous, you'd think they'd have that part worked out.
Without ruining it, the end depends on some out-of-left field, unestablished robots, who seem more about being like THE IRON GIANT than staying within story context.
It's been weeks and I still have no idea where that part came from.
All in all, I left mildly bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing storyline, beautiful setting, November 14, 2002
There was no way I was going to miss this movie. Even if I hadn't seen anything but a movie poster, the animation itself would be worth at least a viewing. Once I saw it in the theater, however, I knew it would be a purchase as soon as it came out. The one drawback (and it was only that way in the theater, really) is that young children can't read subtitles. Therefore, adults have to read them out loud, and in my opinion that detracts from the overall experience. In your own home I'm sure it's a little different, but I haven't had to read them out loud yet. This was the first movie my son ever saw (at four days old on the couch with Daddy) and I'm confident it will be one of his favorites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty dang amazing, June 20, 2001
By A Customer
Okay, I'll admit that I'm easily entertained, but WOW! What else can I say about a movie that I've seen twice in theaters, two days in a row? This is a funny, exciting, and all-around good movie. Though the film has its weak points (there are at least two at the end) there are some thoroughly surprising moments, some genuinely creepy moments, and some definately awesome moments. If you like adventure, you will probably like this movie. So go do yourself a favor, and go see it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost Forever-Disney Tries hard to be a Japanese Anime flick, March 1, 2002
I cannot believe how upset I was after seeing this movie. There were references of silly spaceships flying by like they try and be Star Wars. All the characters do not match each other in the style of animation or in the "characterisation" as a group. This has to be one of the worst 2001 animations I have seen.
No one here has made any reference to the Japanese Animation Nadia which was made in the 70's. We have the same characters pop up in this movie and it's hard NOT to say it is a rip off. Like The Lion King which was stolen from a 60's Japanese Animation by the same artist as Astro Boy, Disney is once again copied the far east and managed to flop twice over.
BAD STORY, BaD PLOT and made no reference whatsoever to Atlantis in a indepth way. They made the Atlantians look stupid yet their technology was a million fold more advanced than humans. It was like Indiana Jones without a mission.
Atlantis also attempted too much to be funny and at times punch lines were met with silence from the audience...yeepee Disney is getting worse and worse. Back to seeing Japanese Anime again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please stop recommending this movie to me!, March 13, 2002
H. Coffill "reckless-abandon" (Grand Rapids, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I saw this movie in the theatre. Here's what I found out:
If you push the little button on my watch--it lights up.
I can tie and re-tie my shoes twice in one minute.
I really need a manicure.
This movie stinks like day old lutefisk. Avoid it at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars atlantis: the copy cat, July 5, 2001
Boris Wong "euqus" (seattle, wa United States) - See all my reviews
this is another example of disney's hardwork in copying the story frame of other movies. the japanese's 'laputa: the castle in the sky' ([...] which is a 12-year-old movie, has the exact same story frame.
the difference is -- the atlantis is talking something burried under the sea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does just as much things right as it does wrong, March 13, 2007
When one looks at the studio's Walt Disney-approved output to the recent input, there's almost a kind of "yeah they're good but they're not as good as ". It's quite unfair to continually compare everything they do to their best but when they've done as much popular movies as they have, it's hard not to. We have Atlantis, the first movie Disney has done in recent years that breaks the mold of the so-called "Disney formula": wisecracking comic reliefs, lovable non-talkative pets, songs fit for Broadway and a bit more toned-down as far as violence and scariness are concerned. Maybe that's the reason the film didn't make as big a profit? Or is just simply audiences knew when an okay film was in theatres.

Milo Thatch, a historian/adventure seeker has been searching for the lost continent of Atlantis for years. Being aided financially and a crew, Milo searches for the continent, braving obstacles set in place to dissuade travellers. Eventually the crew reach the lost city and meet Kida, the King's daughter who along with Milo, tries to solve a mystery involving the city and rescue it for those who want to exploit the city itself.

It's always strange but Disney is underrated when it deals with heavy scenes. From Bambi's mother to Maleficent the dragon to Chernabog from Fantasia to my favorite, the Headless Horseman in Legend of Sleepy Hollow, there have been moments of a more darker quality. Yet some of them seemed toned down in fear that kids wouldn't like it. So it's nice to see Atlantis break that tradition a bit. The opening sequence of Atlantis (including a fantastic opening shot, sound and animation-wise), the encounter with a mechanical Atlantis guardian and the ending are just as thrilling for adults but maybe a bit too intense for little kids. Speaking of animation, it's also some of their animators' best from the backgrounds to the art direction and character designs and thanks to a stellar transfer, it allows you to be see their efforts in the best way.

However, the problems come from 2 key areas: the story and characters. I've watched plenty of animes so I'm a bit more receptive to strange plots but this is one of those where at times it's like "uh...I don't get that part." And the film just kind of chugs along, there's no real emotional connection so we go from scene to scene and feeling a bit disconnected. And it's strange that the old Disney films had one-dimensional characters but we still loved them anyway. There's even the Seven Dwarfs that were pretty one-note but each one became a favorite regardless. Aside from a weird dirt-obsessed character named Moliere and the occasional funny line from the bomb-obsessed Vinny, we never really care for anyone.

Finally no songs or cutesyness yet the story itself just doesn't feel right. But at least they had the balls to at least try something new for a change. I love the animation and its tone but the main areas that should've got more attention got shortchanged. Not really a throwaway film, just an interesting flawed one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick Butt Disney Movie, June 17, 2001
By A Customer
I loved this movie, it was so cool. The part I loved about it was that the imaginative view and the magical part of it was awesome. the part I didn't like about it was that the girl characters have those model bodies and everyone thinks those bodies are bad for our little girls including me. Well I hope you love it as much as me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was This For Kids Or Adults?, July 16, 2001
This is one of the best animated films for everyone! I was taken to it thinking it would be strictly for kids. While it did have it's dumb little kids comedy moments, it helped bring the characters to life. And the story was excellent! I've always been fascinated with the legend of Atlantis, but this story is original. Milo Thatch is a geek who believes he can find the lost city of Atlantis. When a rich man who knew Milo's father funds his expedition, Milo finds not only that the city exsists, but it's inhabited with people. Atlantis is losing it's power and soon the whole civilization will be wiped out. But with the help of Milo, the only one who can read Atlantian, they might be able to save it. I've always liked the darker Disney films. "The Black Cauldron" is my favorite animated movie, but this comes in second. I haven't heard any complaints about "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" and you'll like wether you are a kid or an adult!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disney artists are lazy, and this movie is boreing, June 11, 2004
Tim (NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atlantis - The Lost Empire (DVD)
The artwork is not very detailed, and their is a lot of computer animation instead of actual hand drawn animation.
The story is boring, and there is not much humor.
These complaints are typical of the past 4 years of Disney Movies. This is why I stick with Japanese Anime. Disney sucks!

‹ Previous | 137 38 3944 | Next ›

Atlantis - The Lost Empire
Atlantis - The Lost Empire by Kirk Wise (DVD - 2002)
$15.99 $9.92