4.0 out of 5 stars Netter's is the best "anatomy atlas" I've seen around
Published on May 8, 2010 by Alexander N.

2.0 out of 5 stars Came with weird streaks on some of the pages.
Many of the pages had strange printing errors. Almost like the ink was smeared during printing. I've uploaded some pictures to better show what I mean. One might get the impression that I spilled something on the book, but I can assure you I did not. The book came like this. It's nothing that I can't deal with but, being a student in the medical field, I will have this...
Published 3 days ago by Jacqui

4.0 out of 5 stars Netter's is the best "anatomy atlas" I've seen around, May 8, 2010
Alexander N. (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atlas of Human Anatomy: with Student Consult Access, 5e (Netter Basic Science) (Paperback)
Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without Netter's. From the time that I bought it, anatomy became a much easier task for me. The reason mostly has to do with the way the figures are drawn. They are so clear (and lifelike) that a lot of times you don't even have to refer to any anatomy text to understand structural relationships. Each figure also usually labels most of the structures that are shown.

I'm not saying that all the figures are excellent. Probably 5-10 % of figures could be improved. But the rest are very good.

I should also say that this book is only an "atlas" and does not have any accompanied text; the index for structures is done in a weird way so usually it's hard to find the structure you're looking for; the book binding is very poor; and the coverage of X-ray, CT, and MRI is poor. There are also some occasional mislabeling errors.

But overall, it is the best anatomy atlas that I have seen, and because of Netter's work, I gave it 4 stars. However, considering all aspects of the book, I'll give it the following rating:

Accuracy: 4/5
Text: N/A
3-Dimensionality: 5/5

Overall Score for Netter's work: 4.5/5
Other Aspects of the book: 2/5

Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy is already a classic and will remain so for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, March 23, 2011
Jeffrey J. Hawker (Mt. Pleasant, SC USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this copy for use during my deployment to Afghanistan. It is minimally changed from the Hardback copy I bought at the beginning of med school back in 1990, with just a handful of new images/supplements which enhance the book, but one can never complain about the quality of images Frank Netter left us. When people stop by the department to borrow it(which is frequent), the common adjective, "wonderful" is most frequently espoused.

Quite simply the best anatomy book I know of, and as a radiologist, I familiar with many text that don't begin to compare, and at its current price, a bargin which shouldn't be passed by, as it has a place in every physician's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improved illustrations, September 21, 2010
The 5th Ed. Netter's has clearer pictures and better detail. The pelvic and abdominal sections are so easy to depict the different structures and to discern the level/depth of each tissue. I also prefer the organization of the newer edition. I do less searching in this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gold standard for learning anatomy but for serious learners of anatomy you need Acland Anatomy DVD, August 25, 2010
Netter's is one of the gold standards when it comes to anatomy. The detail and pictures are phenomenal. I used these to learn anatomy in medical school, but I have to say that Rohen and Acland DVD are the other resources you have to have to learn anatomy in an efficient manner. There are too many anatomy teachers who hand you a list and have you look for the structures on the cadavers, but using Rohen and Acland DVD help in identifying and learning anatomy. The Acland DVD set of 6 DVDs point out the sections on real sections and show you how they correspondingly function with the bones, muscles and nerves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best atlas., February 24, 2012
Five years out of gross anatomy, this is my favorite anatomy atlas. Enough detail, not too much. An excellent addition to any medical library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Medstoodent, October 16, 2010
This is a great atlas in making you learn the structures and having them be very well differentiated. The only thing I wish it had were real cadaver pictures among the illustrations. Other than that, it is the best one that I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netter Is A Genius, September 14, 2012
I began using Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy my first week in medical school and have been using it ever since. It is the classic human anatomy atlas, bar none. The new version adds quite a bit to the old, soiled, ripped up version that I've been using for years. Netter is truly a genius and has played a major part in the education of hundreds of thousands of doctors. This book is a must-buy for all medical students.

As a physician, I often refer back to the atlas even in practice. Highly recommended.
I also recommend that all medical students pick up Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple, as a great resource for mnemonics and other simple ideas of how to remember the complex anatomy of humans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educated by Art, September 7, 2010
The Netter atlas has been known and admired for many years. The late Dr. Frank Netter's special gift as an artist was to engage and direct the attention of the newer student to the essential elements of the subject depicted. Illustrators of scientific subjects have produced some legendary art works in the fullest meaning of art. Frank Netter is high on any list of such artists who have educated the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Altas is a classic, yet the consult access is a gimmick, November 9, 2013
Throughout Gross Anatomy I used a number of atlases, including some 3D software, but none can compare to the Netter Atlas. I would rarely find myself without the image that I needed to illustrate what I was reading in a text. Each image is beautifully colored with organized labeling. The Netter Atlas fell short in two areas, however. First, I was a bit disappointed with the number of skull images available in the text. Yes, you get the timeless color coded illustration of the skull and you also get fantastic views of the major foramina with a listing of what passes through each of them, but i found myself having to search the web for many of the structures I needed to know for class because they were not available in the atlas. Also, i was not very impressed with the Student Consult Access, I found that the interface was ugly and difficult to navigate. On top of that, i was mistaken in that I thought I would actually have access to the Netter 3d anatomy software, however there were only videos of the 3d anatomy software that I did not find very helpful. It almost seemed as if the Student Consult Access was a marketing afterthought. These flaws aside, I feel that anyone studying anatomy cannot go wrong by purchasing a Netter Atlas.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great investment., July 2, 2013
I am a billing and coding student/CPC candidate and in the course of my study I noticed that other textbooks used Dr. Netter's illustrations. I decided to purchase the complete volume and I am pleased with my choice. My age aside, there is a lot to be said for having high quality reference books on your desk versus using the internet. I have the paperback version which is a trace larger than a 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper; and it is nearly 1.25 inches thick. The pages lay open nicely and the paper is sturdy with a finish between satin and semi-gloss depending on your perspective. The book includes many radiographs, transverse/cross section illustrations, layered dissection illustrations, organ dissections (some microscopic) etc. A few subjects are presented in schematic form in addition to the traditional scale form (primarily nerves). As near as I can tell, it is complete in all respects. There are NO photographs except for the x-ray/radiograph images. For anyone not familiar with Dr. Netter's work, all the illustrations are hand drawn, so the scale may not always be precise for tiny details. This book is much better than videos or photographs of cadaver dissections. As is the case with many medical books, the genital details are explicit, so plan accordingly for storage/kids/easily offended adults etc.

Atlas of Human Anatomy: with Student Consult Access, 5e (Netter Basic Science)
$82.95 $76.36