Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Atlas of Human Anatomy: with Student Consult Access, 5e (Netter Basic Science)
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on May 8, 2010
Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without Netter's. From the time that I bought it, anatomy became a much easier task for me. The reason mostly has to do with the way the figures are drawn. They are so clear (and lifelike) that a lot of times you don't even have to refer to any anatomy text to understand structural relationships. Each figure also usually labels most of the structures that are shown.

I'm not saying that all the figures are excellent. Probably 5-10 % of figures could be improved. But the rest are very good.

I should also say that this book is only an "atlas" and does not have any accompanied text; the index for structures is done in a weird way so usually it's hard to find the structure you're looking for; the book binding is very poor; and the coverage of X-ray, CT, and MRI is poor. There are also some occasional mislabeling errors.

But overall, it is the best anatomy atlas that I have seen, and because of Netter's work, I gave it 4 stars. However, considering all aspects of the book, I'll give it the following rating:

Accuracy: 4/5
Text: N/A
3-Dimensionality: 5/5

Overall Score for Netter's work: 4.5/5
Other Aspects of the book: 2/5

Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy is already a classic and will remain so for a long time to come.
33 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2011
I purchased this copy for use during my deployment to Afghanistan. It is minimally changed from the Hardback copy I bought at the beginning of med school back in 1990, with just a handful of new images/supplements which enhance the book, but one can never complain about the quality of images Frank Netter left us. When people stop by the department to borrow it(which is frequent), the common adjective, "wonderful" is most frequently espoused.

Quite simply the best anatomy book I know of, and as a radiologist, I familiar with many text that don't begin to compare, and at its current price, a bargin which shouldn't be passed by, as it has a place in every physician's library.
on September 21, 2010
The 5th Ed. Netter's has clearer pictures and better detail. The pelvic and abdominal sections are so easy to depict the different structures and to discern the level/depth of each tissue. I also prefer the organization of the newer edition. I do less searching in this edition.
on August 25, 2010
Netter's is one of the gold standards when it comes to anatomy. The detail and pictures are phenomenal. I used these to learn anatomy in medical school, but I have to say that Rohen and Acland DVD are the other resources you have to have to learn anatomy in an efficient manner. There are too many anatomy teachers who hand you a list and have you look for the structures on the cadavers, but using Rohen and Acland DVD help in identifying and learning anatomy. The Acland DVD set of 6 DVDs point out the sections on real sections and show you how they correspondingly function with the bones, muscles and nerves.
on July 2, 2013
I am a billing and coding student/CPC candidate and in the course of my study I noticed that other textbooks used Dr. Netter's illustrations. I decided to purchase the complete volume and I am pleased with my choice. My age aside, there is a lot to be said for having high quality reference books on your desk versus using the internet. I have the paperback version which is a trace larger than a 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper; and it is nearly 1.25 inches thick. The pages lay open nicely and the paper is sturdy with a finish between satin and semi-gloss depending on your perspective. The book includes many radiographs, transverse/cross section illustrations, layered dissection illustrations, organ dissections (some microscopic) etc. A few subjects are presented in schematic form in addition to the traditional scale form (primarily nerves). As near as I can tell, it is complete in all respects. There are NO photographs except for the x-ray/radiograph images. For anyone not familiar with Dr. Netter's work, all the illustrations are hand drawn, so the scale may not always be precise for tiny details. This book is much better than videos or photographs of cadaver dissections. As is the case with many medical books, the genital details are explicit, so plan accordingly for storage/kids/easily offended adults etc.
on November 9, 2013
Throughout Gross Anatomy I used a number of atlases, including some 3D software, but none can compare to the Netter Atlas. I would rarely find myself without the image that I needed to illustrate what I was reading in a text. Each image is beautifully colored with organized labeling. The Netter Atlas fell short in two areas, however. First, I was a bit disappointed with the number of skull images available in the text. Yes, you get the timeless color coded illustration of the skull and you also get fantastic views of the major foramina with a listing of what passes through each of them, but i found myself having to search the web for many of the structures I needed to know for class because they were not available in the atlas. Also, i was not very impressed with the Student Consult Access, I found that the interface was ugly and difficult to navigate. On top of that, i was mistaken in that I thought I would actually have access to the Netter 3d anatomy software, however there were only videos of the 3d anatomy software that I did not find very helpful. It almost seemed as if the Student Consult Access was a marketing afterthought. These flaws aside, I feel that anyone studying anatomy cannot go wrong by purchasing a Netter Atlas.
on December 7, 2015
I ordered this atlas as an aid for the Anatomy & Physiology class I'm taking. Sometimes when I'm studying in the labs, I don't know what I'm looking at and get confused when there are no teachers around to ask for help. That is when I turn to my atlas and try to figure out the structures, bones, and even muscles I'm looking at. The illustrations are clear and detailed and the labels are easy to read. This atlas is very thorough and will provide you with more than enough help to learn human anatomy. So far, I've only learned bones and muscles, and everything I need to know is in this atlas. This book is especially handy during midterms/finals week because it's a useful tool for cumulative review, especially when I'm reviewing materials in the middle of the night and don't have the actual bones/muscles in hand.

I bought the 5th edition because was cheaper and more affordable, but I compared it to the 6th edition that my teacher has in class and it is practically the same. You can get pretty much everything you need with the 5th edition, and save some money. I bought a used version, so obviously it didn't come with the Student Consult Access CD, but I've found that I didn't need it because there are so many other free resources online that I can use.
on December 15, 2014
Many of the pages had strange printing errors. Almost like the ink was smeared during printing. I've uploaded some pictures to better show what I mean. One might get the impression that I spilled something on the book, but I can assure you I did not. The book came like this. It's nothing that I can't deal with but, being a student in the medical field, I will have this book for a long, long time and I was hoping to get a copy in excellent condition.
review image review image review image
on October 19, 2014
Purchased this text for my son as a reference to his junior biomedical engineering Anatomy class w/a cadaver lab ; professor told students to buy a supplemental text -- son has an "A" at mid-term and this text supports this class -- a happy son, a satisfied dad.
Update Dec 2014: son finished w/an "A" and also the top grade.
on September 8, 2013
Just recently used Netters Atlas 5e for my block of anatomy during first year of medical school. Lots of medical schools require this book for medical with good reason: it's comprehensive, it's detailed, it's easy to understand, and there's NO TEXT, only labelling; so it's an awesome resource--second only to the cadaver. Anatomical relationships also wonderfully depicted.
I had the option to order Netters in an undergraduate anatomy class but, specifically for me, I'm glad I didn't. There's a lot of information and unless you have a class to point out relationships (like anastomoses) you might not quite appreciate the amount of effort and knowledge that went into some of the pictures/plates. There is perhaps minor discussion on a few details between my school and what's portrayed in Netters but, like said, it's minor. If you're in undergraduate and really thirsting after something more detailed and complex, then it would be a good purchase (it's relatively cheap on Amazon); however, even if you aren't quite driven to learn outside of class it will be useful for medical school and a career in medicine later on!