5.0 out of 5 stars Still an excellent resource, though it excludes recent census data, August 7, 2012
This review is from: Atlas of the Pacific Northwest, 9th Ed (Paperback)
This excellent book is now somewhat dated in that it does not include the 2010 census or other more recent data, but remains an excellent resource. There really isn't any other way to learn as much about the northwest in so little time. This book defines the Pacific Northwest as Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.

This book contains eighteen chapters as follows: The Region, Cultural-Historical Geography, Population, Transportation, Landforms and Geology, Land Use, Climate, Vegetation, Agriculture, Forest Resources/Ownership/Harvest, Soils, Water Resources, Energy Resources and Distribution, Ocean Resources, Minerals and Mining, Manufacturing and Service Industries, Outdoor Recreation and Tourism, and Hunting and Fishing.

The chapters on Landforms/Geology and Vegetation were next to useless for laymen being far too technical with little attempt to explain themselves (but are also very brief). The remainder of the chapters were excellent. The sections on Water Resources, Land Use, Agriculture, Transportation, and "The Region" were most illuminating.

For instance, the chapter on Agriculture has 19 small maps, each showing the distribution of different agricultural products from wheat to apples to milk cows. The same chapter also had a chart showing farmland growth and decline by selected counties, a map showing the number of farms, the percent of farms owned by corporations, irrigated land, and the % change in number of farms. Another table shows the land in farms and farmland use. Still another map gives a detailed showing of croplands that differentiates between irrigated and non-irrigated. All this in addition to several photos, still more charts/maps, and a compelling and clear text covering agricultural issues and regional variation across the Pacific Northwest. I found it relatively easy to follow.

The book itself is rather short, but they are big pages and packed full of info. Well worth a read if you want to understand the region better. It took me about the amount of time it would normally take to read a 300 page nonfiction book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Atlas of the Pacific NW, May 26, 2008
This review is from: Atlas of the Pacific Northwest, 9th Ed (Paperback)
I bought this book as a requirement for a college class. The book was short enough to make it easy to get through and had enough details to learn more about the region than I ever thought I would. I was impressed with the book and will keep it for future reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great info, November 22, 2014
This review is from: Atlas of the Pacific Northwest, 9th Ed (Paperback)
This book had a lot of really good information in it. I always sell my books back after the class unless I like them and this one I kept. I haven't used it again but I am sure I will sooner than later.

Atlas of the Pacific Northwest, 9th Ed
Atlas of the Pacific Northwest, 9th Ed by Philip Jackson (Paperback - September 1, 2003)
$24.95 $18.17